Military/Official Organisations Recommendation

I really like uniforms. Especially military uniforms. Let's get that out of the way first.
Secondly, I like representations of bodies or organisations of people, such as the armed forces or the police or firemen or an inspection department or whatever. I like bodies with authority, and I like bureaucracy and hierarchies. And then, I especially like when that authority is then used to do "good". Catch criminals, keep the peace, eliminate corruption, help people, etc.

These guidelines are very vague, so I do think a lot of different things might fit. Don't be afraid to recommend something!

Here's some examples for those who wish to help me, or some recommendations for the like-minded.

Spoiler

GATE - Given what I've just said above, this should come as no surprise. Or maybe it does. That depends on how you interpreted the whole thing.
In GATE, a gate to another world appears in the middle of Japan and a bunch of medieval/fantasy armies charge on out. After this attack, the Japanese Self-Defence Force is sent into the other world to 'defend' Japan, slaughtering a bunch of 'threats' by using modern technology on this fantasy world. They then set up a foothold and begin accommodating refugees, establishing a 'town' with Japanese laws and it's all very interesting. Japan attempts to enter the politics of this antiquated world while applying Japans standards of morality and being fair to all parties. The clash between all the wonders and goodness that modern technology brings and the barbaric customs of a medieval fantasy land is very nice to watch. It seems as if they can really bring some real good to this new world.

ACCA: 13th Territory Inspection Department - In many ways, this was incredibly close to being the very definition of what I like: As the inspection department, they hold a lot of authority, and they use it to root out corruption and crimes, ensuring all government institutions remain efficient and work for the country. Also, uniforms.
But instead, it went and delivered a completely different story than I expected. This wasn't too much of a problem, but the premise is still an extremely good example.

Pumpkin Scissors - I believe this is the one that most captures what I'm looking for. The army created a new section specifically for providing post-war relief: They're responsible for confiscating military equipment left abandoned around the country, providing supplies that help the war-weary people, weeding out corruption that remains from the war, etc.
Essentially doing anything they can get away with in the name of 'helping the country recover from the war'. There's some politics behind this section, which is interesting, but even without those, this exactly what I'm looking for.

Sound of the Sky - The military deploys a squad to garrison a town. We follow their daily lives as they perform their duties: maintenance, patrolling, partaking in the traditions of the town, etc. They bring security, protection and many other feelings to the inhabitants of the town.

Alderamin on the Sky - We follow a military officer as he commands and learns to command his own detachment of soldiers. There's a lot else that's really good about this anime, but let's focus on this aspect.

Youjo Senki - This one is, in many ways, about dealing with the bureaucracy and the higher-ups. Or, more specifically, trying to get into that group. As it's set in the military it generally adheres to the idea of the people out in the field trying to make it out of the messes they're put into alive.

High School Fleet - A world where Japan becomes a much more maritime nation and most young women are trained and put in charge of their own ships (whose technology has advanced strangely little since WW2)for their High School Education. As the anime follows the many sections of the ship, it's nice seeing what each is responsible for and what they do for the continued survival of the entire ship and crew.

Psycho-Pass - Psycho-Pass is about a police officer in a city where each person is measured by an automatic system and, if they're deemed a criminal, they're terminated. More importantly, it's about a police officer trying to do good in a world where the laws are so black an white (it's about far more than that, but I'm only listing what I watched it for). Obviously, any police anime fit very well into this theme.

Planetes - Planetes follows the Debris Section, whose job is to clear the debris left out in space. The anime also shows us the system that governs the station they live in, showing us the interaction between the various sections and what not, which I like.

Space anime generally adheres to some variation of the formula, as most of which are about spaceships and their crew. In these cases, I really prefer the comedic ones, such as Captain Tylor.

I've never watched Library Wars, but from the synopsis alone, it does seem to be within what I'm looking for. Any recommendations?

TL;DR: Recommend me anime or manga (completed) with an organisation/group/body with some authority as a focus (specific police branch, specific military branch, specific section in the crew of a large vehicle, church doing good).

Recommendations in bold~

I am making the assumption that, if it is not on your MAL, you haven't watched it. 

Hellsing Ultimate(The OVA) -> It  does indeed consist of a military setting. However rather than fights between armed forces, i.e several troops, it is more that each organisation has extremely powerful beings under their command, and a lot of the fights tend to be a battle between super powers. A very worthwhile watch. Very enjoyable 8/10

Fullmetal Alchemist -> The original, and then if you really want brotherhood (the first one is far superior in my opinion). Fully militarised with hierarchical bureaucracy . However the military is quite corrupt so while a lot of people try to do good, an equal amount won't. And this anime was my first 10/10. Loved it so much.

K -> Has several different factions each with their own hierarchy. One of those factions is the police-type you are looking for. Very enjoyable. 8/10

Gundam 00 -> Very clear hierarchical structure, between both rebel group and military.  Very enjoyable 9/10

Akame Ga Kill -> Though the manga is far,far superior, the anime is decent. It features a clear hierarchy between the empire and the rebels (Nightraid). Though the empire is clearly evil in this case. Very brutal, very dark, 7/10 for the anime, 9/10 for the manga

Guilty Crown -> Again, a rebel based anime, made by the creators of code geass. 7/10

That's all that I can think of on the top of my head, that you haven't watched.

On this list, FMP probably is the closest to what you want.  The others might be a bit too morally ambiguous for you, though LOGTH's dual main protagonists are both trying to do good in their own way, and the main characters of Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 are both trying to better the world (unfortunately, no real bureaucracy in those two). 

Full Metal Panic

Youjo Senki

Gundam Wing

Gundam 00

08th MS Team (this is probably the most nitty-gritty Gundam... regular soldiers fighting it out on a jungle battlefield, as opposed to all-powerful newtypes)

Code Geass

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

5 hours ago, Akshay said:

Fullmetal Alchemist -> The original, and then if you really want brotherhood (the first one is far superior in my opinion). Fully militarised with hierarchical bureaucracy . However the military is quite corrupt so while a lot of people try to do good, an equal amount won't. And this anime was my first 10/10. Loved it so much.

Your opinion would be considered the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of opinion (me included) prefers brotherhood which animates the manga much more faithfully and brutally to the end. I don't want to get into a debate about it specifically, but simply want to point out that more people prefer brotherhood.

Of the better shows I'm happy to recommend:

Gate (seconded)

Ghost in the shell standalone complex (quite old but a classic). A futuristic special ops organisation.

Kiddy grade - in my opinion an underrated series about a futuristic organisation of super powered altered humans with a complex organisational structure.

Legend of galactic heroes (as per Clephas) - a classic but now ancient about all kinds of space military / political intrigue.

Full Metal Panic (as per Clephas) - mecha military classic, new series due out next year (at last!)

Black bullet - an organisation of altered human sidekicks.

Kancolle - anthropomorphised battle ships of cute girls. Much more interesting than it sounds.

Strike witches 1, 2 and movie - You watched the first according to MAL, if you can get past the fanservice, it's actually a great show about a strike force of military teenage witches. Brave witches is its lesser sequel but still good.

Star blazers 2199 - rehash of the classic starblazers military scifi starship series.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Your opinion would be considered the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of opinion (me included) prefers brotherhood which animates the manga much more faithfully and brutally to the end. I don't want to get into a debate about it specifically, but simply want to point out that more people prefer brotherhood.

Manga > Brotherhood > original

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Strike witches 1, 2 and movie - You watched the first according to MAL, if you can get past the fanservice, it's actually a great show about a strike force of military teenage witches. Brave witches is its lesser sequel but still good.

Seconded. 

I love this show, and thought I was the only one. Let's be best friends forever! :vanilla:

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

Correct

Sora no Woto, though it can be argued if it's military or not, as it frequently strays from that genre and tends to be more slice of life, and also tries some mystery that never amounts to anything.

The city it's set in is modeled after the Spanish city of Cuenca.

Welp, everyone has just about covered everything I could possibly recommend, so I'm just gonna throw out something a little absurd.

Inferno Cop

22 hours ago, ittaku said:

Ghost in the shell standalone complex (quite old but a classic). A futuristic special ops organisation.

Gonna 2nd this though. It's been over 10 years since I last watched it, but from what I remember, it was really cool.

On 18/10/2017 at 4:31 PM, havoc said:

here are some,

Zipang

Very interesting premise.

Rescue Wings

Oh, wow, now this looks very interesting. Huh.

Saiunkoku
Think Chinese Court with a comedy and romance element to it. Its a little slow to start but one of my personal favorites.

I'm currently watching it.
My fears, at this point, amount to whether or not the romance will happen. I don't mind if it doesn't, but in that case, please stop teasing me with characters who evidently like each other.

Valkyria chronicles
Quite a lot like pumpkin scissors

I am watching it, yes. Slowly.

Allison and Lillia
Not entirely sure this one fits to be honest.
I'm not entirely sure either.
I've know about this for a while, but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. Hmm...

On 18/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, Akshay said:

Recommendations in bold~

I am making the assumption that, if it is not on your MAL, you haven't watched it. 

Hellsing Ultimate(The OVA) -> It  does indeed consist of a military setting. However rather than fights between armed forces, i.e several troops, it is more that each organisation has extremely powerful beings under their command, and a lot of the fights tend to be a battle between super powers. A very worthwhile watch. Very enjoyable 8/10

K -> Has several different factions each with their own hierarchy. One of those factions is the police-type you are looking for. Very enjoyable. 8/10

Gundam 00 -> Very clear hierarchical structure, between both rebel group and military.  Very enjoyable 9/10

Akame Ga Kill -> Though the manga is far,far superior, the anime is decent. It features a clear hierarchy between the empire and the rebels (Nightraid). Though the empire is clearly evil in this case. Very brutal, very dark, 7/10 for the anime, 9/10 for the manga

Guilty Crown -> Again, a rebel based anime, made by the creators of code geass. 7/10

I thank you for your recommendations. Honestly, they're quite consistent. They're all things I really think I won't like.

To start with, I tried watching Fullmetal Alchemist. Apparently I watched about half of it, but I couldn't keep watching. It's too dark a show for me.
This is also one of the concerns I have with your other recommendations.

Keeping in mind the I dislike dark stories, shounen, and that action does nothing for me, I see nothing in those recommendations that would lead me to like it. This could change once  I start something, the problem is starting. Stuff like Youjo Senki hooked me in with its historical setting, and stuff like Psycho-Pass hooked me in with the cute girl protagonist, but most of these don't quite have anything like that.

From the synopsis'... I'll consider Hellsing Ultimate and Guilty Crown. If I like either of them I might try some of these others. It'd be good if my horizons expanded a little.

On 18/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, Beichuuka said:

Oh, hey. Someone actually likes Pumpkin Scissors.

I haven't read into this manga too much but Marginal Operation should suit your fancy.

It does look that way, yes. But, chances are, I'll only consider reading it in a few years. Oh, well.

On 18/10/2017 at 9:08 PM, Clephas said:

On this list, FMP probably is the closest to what you want.  The others might be a bit too morally ambiguous for you, though LOGTH's dual main protagonists are both trying to do good in their own way, and the main characters of Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 are both trying to better the world (unfortunately, no real bureaucracy in those two). 

Full Metal Panic

I've watched a little. Unfortunately, the blatant teasing of the couple and the fact that it'll never end have shooed me away. However, I can still enjoy Fumoffu.

Youjo Senki

Har Har, it's in my list above.

Gundam Wing

Gundam 00

08th MS Team (this is probably the most nitty-gritty Gundam... regular soldiers fighting it out on a jungle battlefield, as opposed to all-powerful newtypes)

These Gundam shows are in consideration, but I will need to study it more.

Code Geass

I've had my eye on this for a while, but I'm still missing the final push. A final incentive to watch it.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Whilst I would want to consider this one, the episode count does put me off. It is on my list, though...

On 19/10/2017 at 12:09 AM, ittaku said:

Of the better shows I'm happy to recommend:

Huh, I've always disregarded 'Ghost in the Shell' for various reasons (it's old, and looks creepy), but I did not know this existed. I do find it quite intriguing.

Kiddy grade - in my opinion an underrated series about a futuristic organisation of super powered altered humans with a complex organisational structure.

This sounds really interesting.

Legend of galactic heroes (as per Clephas) - a classic but now ancient about all kinds of space military / political intrigue.

Full Metal Panic (as per Clephas) - mecha military classic, new series due out next year (at last!)

Black bullet - an organisation of altered human sidekicks.

It sounds interesting... Hmm...

Kancolle - anthropomorphised battle ships of cute girls. Much more interesting than it sounds.

What I find strange is that people who liked Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer and the like then go on to not like this one much. Regardless, this is certainly something I can easily try out with little investment.

I'm technically watching the second...? I liked the first one, but the second failed to hook me and I just left it hanging. I'll certainly have to try again.

Star blazers 2199 - rehash of the classic starblazers military scifi starship series.

Tried watching it. Not terrible, but I've little motivation to keep watching besides this one girl I saw.

Good God, reading my comments makes me realise how superficial I can be. Apparently 70% of whether I watch a show or not has to do with the presence of cute girls? What.
I'm better than that, or so I'd like to think. Ugh...

On 19/10/2017 at 12:08 PM, Okarin said:

Sora no Woto, though it can be argued if it's military or not, as it frequently strays from that genre and tends to be more slice of life, and also tries some mystery that never amounts to anything.

The city it's set in is modeled after the Spanish city of Cuenca.

I commented on this one, being one I really liked (Sound of the Sky).

On 19/10/2017 at 11:00 PM, Kenshin_sama said:

Welp, everyone has just about covered everything I could possibly recommend, so I'm just gonna throw out something a little absurd.

Inferno Cop

You would have me expend my precious time on this... thing?
Ok.

34 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I thank you for your recommendations. Honestly, they're quite consistent. They're all things I really think I won't like.

To start with, I tried watching Fullmetal Alchemist. Apparently I watched about half of it, but I couldn't keep watching. It's too dark a show for me.
This is also one of the concerns I have with your other recommendations.

Keeping in mind the I dislike dark stories, shounen, and that action does nothing for me, I see nothing in those recommendations that would lead me to like it. This could change once  I start something, the problem is starting. Stuff like Youjo Senki hooked me in with its historical setting, and stuff like Psycho-Pass hooked me in with the cute girl protagonist, but most of these don't quite have anything like that.

From the synopsis'... I'll consider Hellsing Ultimate and Guilty Crown. If I like either of them I might try some of these others. It'd be good if my horizons expanded a little.

It does look that way, yes. But, chances are, I'll only consider reading it in a few years. Oh, well.

Probably the least dark ones would be K and Gundam 00. The fact that they are all dark in nature is my personal taste spilling over.

If you want something more fun you could try The Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Jormungand or Full metal Panic. Joker Game is at least decent, and somewhat has mind-games and strategies.

I guess Date a Live could also be called military-ish in nature (albeit, very loosely).

If you don't like dark stuff and angst, you should probably stay away from things like Hellsing or Ghost in the Shell.

It may also be worth checking out Drifters, a slightly more obscure anime which starts out pretty dark but gets considerably lighter.It is both historical as well as militarised . The protagonist meets warlord oda nobunaga and basically tries to fight against the discrimination towards demihumans and quell the lands political unrest. While it has more fantasy than most anime on your list, it does fulfil several of your criteria. 

Sengoku Basara may also be worth checking out.

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

If you don't like dark stuff and angst, you should probably stay away from things like Hellsing or Ghost in the Shell.

I'll reply fully at a later point, but I just want to clarify something.

In my mind, and from what I've seen of Hellsing, it isn't the kind of 'Dark' I can't stand. The kind of Dark I can't stand is the protagonists losing or getting hurt, in a serious manner, again and again.

The kind of 'Dark' something like Hellsing or Youjo Senki seem to have is edgy-ness. People dying and blood all over the place. But I don't care about those others, so whatever. If the protagonists are the bad guys, then I don't really mind much. My issues lie solely with the 'good' characters dying or suffering, or for that to happen to the protagonists or their loved ones.

56 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'll reply fully at a later point, but I just want to clarify something.

In my mind, and from what I've seen of Hellsing, it isn't the kind of 'Dark' I can't stand. The kind of Dark I can't stand is the protagonists losing or getting hurt, in a serious manner, again and again.

The kind of 'Dark' something like Hellsing or Youjo Senki seem to have is edgy-ness. People dying and blood all over the place. But I don't care about those others, so whatever. If the protagonists are the bad guys, then I don't really mind much. My issues lie solely with the 'good' characters dying or suffering, or for that to happen to the protagonists or their loved ones.

Hellsing is kind of confusing in the fact that the protagonist is both seras victoria and the vampire alucard. Some of the antagonists, have undergone the type of loss you speak of.

Spoiler

The protagonist does get hurt again and again, but most of what happened  to him is revealed in his past, so other than what you see in his flashback scene you should be ok.

It seems that you don't like angst too much? Definately stay away from both guilty crown and code geass, if you can't stand that stuff. I honestly loved them but if you cant stomach the emotional thrill developed by the killing of a loved one of the protagonist, you wont enjoy this.

Ghost in the shell also has the protagonist suffering quite a bit, though the damage is more psychological/mental than physical. You should actually be fine with both K and Gundam 00, because while it does have the protagonist suffer a little bit, it has some ammount of politics, military, and battle. In the case of gundam 00 they are trying to impose their view for a better world.

EDIT

Just looked at your VNDB. You rated both Grisaia and Fste very highly, and the things that happened to the protagonists were very brutal, both emotionally and physically. Is  it that you are able to stomach this in VN's but not anime? Or am I misunderstanding your taste. Because if you could enjoy those than you can definitely watch both ghost in the shell or code geass.

Edited by Akshay

On 18/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, Akshay said:

Recommendations in bold~

-Has Tanya Degurachev as avatar.
-Doesn't recommend Youjo Senki.

:makina:

Well, as animes.
Fullmetal Alchemist.
Code Geass.
Valkyria chronicles.
Attack on titan.
Youjo Senki.
Alderamin on the sky.

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

Just looked at your VNDB. You rated both Grisaia and Fste very highly, and the things that happened to the protagonists were very brutal, both emotionally and physically. Is  it that you are able to stomach this in VN's but not anime? Or am I misunderstanding your taste. Because if you could enjoy those than you can definitely watch both ghost in the shell or code geass.

You're not far off.

VNs have this lovely little thing I like to call the skip button. When called for, I skip the scene altogether. Other times, I read it in backlog, where it's easier to stomach after it is over.

Despite this, I read most of Heaven's Feel, which was incredibly hard to read, and certainly not worth it. Maybe... It's good to have one or two of those experiences under my belt I guess.
I haven't read Angelic Howl, however. I kinda started skipping halfway through. As for Yuuji's past well... it's in the past, but I'm sure I might have skipped a scene here or there.

2 hours ago, Akshay said:

Probably the least dark ones would be K and Gundam 00. The fact that they are all dark in nature is my personal taste spilling over.

If you want something more fun you could try The Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Jormungand or Full metal Panic. Joker Game is at least decent, and somewhat has mind-games and strategies.

Tylor is actually on my list above.

Jormungand looks like something I'd really enjoy, actually.

I've already talked about Full Metal Panic and what the problem is, but it's a good recommendation.

Joker Game also looks interesting.

I guess Date a Live could also be called military-ish in nature (albeit, very loosely).

This looks like it's a harem, and I've developed a distaste for most of those... Well, the premise isn't terrible, but chances are that I won't like it.

It may also be worth checking out Drifters, a slightly more obscure anime which starts out pretty dark but gets considerably lighter.It is both historical as well as militarised . The protagonist meets warlord oda nobunaga and basically tries to fight against the discrimination towards demihumans and quell the lands political unrest. While it has more fantasy than most anime on your list, it does fulfil several of your criteria. 

Huh, doesn't look bad.

Sengoku Basara may also be worth checking out.

Maybe? Looks like some shounen about fighting the evil bad guy. Hmm.

23 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

1. I guess Date a Live could also be called military-ish in nature (albeit, very loosely).

This looks like it's a harem, and I've developed a distaste for most of those... Well, the premise isn't terrible, but chances are that I won't like it.

2. Sengoku Basara may also be worth checking out.

Maybe? Looks like some shounen about fighting the evil bad guy. Hmm.

1.Chances are you wont like it. It fits the bare requirements to be on your list, but it's not great at all. One of those meh anime that come every season. Watch it if you have literally nothing else.

2.Again not great, but does have some amount of planning how to conquer, basic strategy warfare. Not as completely shounen as just running at the enemy with superpowers. Not particularly great either.

Edited by Akshay

I'll second the kiddy grade recommendation. 
the First season is quite good and the characters are nice.

I forgot to mention one series which does fit the bill but is mostly a comedy and slice of life series.
It is however my go to series for when i dont know what to watch and just need an episode or something to watch during dinner. Q
Your under Arrest.