What Site Work Would You Like To See?

Please consider taking this survey (Link) and let me know what you want to see fixed/improved upon across the various Fuwanovel sites. Your feedback will determine my work priorities this Summer/Fall. (Forum Post)

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

zippermimic

walang MOE sa Pinas!!! - a political, slice-of-life VN

Project Name: walang MOE sa Pinas!!!

Project Type: Visual novel Development

Genre:  slice-of-life, romance comedy, political, parody

Summary

walang MOE sa Pinas!!! is a Gameboy-graphic, pixel art visual novel which aims to provide a small slice-of-life story on how living in the Philippines looks like while at the same time provide a small commentary towards the current happenings in the political world...

The visual novel is divided into two parts, presented to you as a parody of that huge video platform we all loved (and hated at the same time).

First, are the slice-of-life episodes. This is where the player will be provided with the novel's main story. Depending on what card points you earned, you'll be granted access to these episodes in order for you to proceed with the story. This will serve as the player's opportunity to choose character routes and endings.

And secondly, the podcast episodes. This is where the player will be given the opportunity to learn more about the characters while earning card points at the same time. These episodes are highly political in nature and will aim to provide current events commentary... of course, provided to you by the six main characters of the novel.

I hope the premise of this visual novel light a park of interest in your heart. I now look forward to making this project a successful endeavor with your help. Thank you.

Story

The story will take place in the bustling city of Metro, Manila in the Southeast Asian country of the Philippines. It will give you a small glimpse to the life of Lenard.

It has been almost five years now since Lenard has given up his dream of becoming a teacher. But even so, he never let go of his passion for teaching. Using what little he learned with only 2 years of college education (and also turning a huge traumatic experience involving call centers as a weapon), he started teaching English online.

Even though his job turned from teaching basic English into providing a conversation partner as practice for his clients to speak English fluently, he still managed to enjoyed for almost two years. Not only because of its relatively high salary, but also because he gained a lot of knowledge about the countries of his clients.

One of his clients managed to create a huge impression in him. Not only because she is a Japanese, but also because of her very quirky personality. Among all the clients he had, the girl stuck with him for the longest time.

Until recently, that is...

Just as he was pondering about his possible loss of livelihood, Lenard was then bombarded with a little splash of surprise. His quirky client... his "Kaguya-hime"... has descended from the moon and paid him a visit. How would he deal with seemingly long overdue first meeting?

Lenard's dream of being a teacher will now then be instantly realized... but not in the shape he was hoping for. He will now given a two choices: to teach her, "The grass is always greener at the other side."... or to teach her, "There is no place like home."

Characters

There are SIX main characters in the novel. And all throughout the episodes, you will be given opporunities to learn more about them.

vchahh7jxcesnhdpuhre.png

Name:

Lenard Rhaine Arevalo

Nickname:

Lenard, Sensei (because of that girl...)

22 yrs. old

barbeque stall worker/owner, online English tutor, freelance artist

anything Otaku-related, seems to be the case

Dislikes:

...every single thing about call centers

According to, uhh... Lenard himself...

My name is Lenard. Lenard Rhaine Arevalo.

I formerly studied Education in a nearby university, but I was forced to drop out of it because of financial strains. But I never lost my passion for teaching and so doing started online English tutorials (while doing a soul crushing job at the call center).

The online tutorials worked for me for two whole years. But now that it seems like I finally lost my final client... I guess that'll be that's it for now. I also do art commisions, though. Somehow, being exposed to the Otaku subculture for a long time will influence one way or the other.

ljprtri6gwm40krnl5yj.png

Name:

Ichisaki Tomoe

Nickname:

Tomoe, Moe-chan

20 yrs. old

...well, she said she graduated High School recently

???

Dislikes:

mentaiko, ocra, sticky foods (she likes natto, though...)

According to Lenard...

Her name is Tomoe. Ichisaki Tomoe.

If you haven't noticed it yet... she's a full-blooded Japanese. At the time of our first contract, she was still on her last year of high school. She's probably graduated from it now.

Among all the clients I had, she's probably the one who stuck for the longest time. Almost two years, that is. Even though I remember teaching her the basics language, almost all of our sessions is just me providing conversations while speaking in English. I'm glad our sessions made her practice Speaking English a lot... although, a little bit of polish is still needed. Not that I'm super professional in it, though...

Those two years of teaching her English have been a weird experience for me. Most of those practicing we had, only revolves around talking about Anima and Manga, what we ate last night, the weather, painfully scourging our way to completing our reference books (because of her seemingly low attention span), and the most bothersome of all... shimoneta (sex jokes).

When she suddenly stopped contacting me, I don't know exactly what to feel. A little bit of relief, I guess... But at the same time, there is a little bit of regret...

h6bju3nglxnkxwl3wclh.png

Name:

Mariel Rhaine Arevalo

Nickname:

Mariel, Ma-chan

18 yrs. old

university student, studying nutrition courses

everyone in the neighborhood (except for cats, that is...)

Dislikes:

cats

According to Lenard...

Her name's Mariel. Mariel Khate Arevalo. My little sister.

If someone's going to hold a Ms. World Peace pageant somewhere, I'd totally spam a nomination for her and even bribe all the judges to make her win the title.

Just kidding… She's a kind-hearted and strong-willed character. A talented little sister any brother would be proud of. Plus, she's totally got the looks. Well, considering Nanay is quite the looker herself, genetics definitely will do it's work.

She's on the small side of things, though. But for me, that only makes her a lot cuter.

ftwnl1bgldtk62yb9ktf.png

Name:

Louisianna Crisanto

Nickname:

Anna, An-chan

18 yrs. old

university student, studying political science courses as pre-law preparation

Mariel, perhaps..

Dislikes:

idiots (in other words... me, Master and Edgar... maybe even herself, I don't know...)

According to Lenard...

Her name's Anna. Louisianna Crisanto.

If you haven't noticed it already, she's a weirdo.Why? Well, aside from the fact that she has such a funky hairdo… she also never get separated with her EPad. I swear to God, her soul is superglued to that damn thing.

When she said that she's studying law… she's actually telling the truth in there. She's studying a pre-law course at the same university Mariel is currently attending. The girl somehow became friends with Mariel after attending the same class last year.

When she told Mariel that she's looking for a new place, she apparently suggested trying the apartment complex next door. Just one look at her makes you think that she'll become a nasty, corrupt politician someday… I'll definitely vote her for president if she decides to run, though. I'm sure chaos will be born from it.

t6zkqg9uyrjush9hnddw.png

Name:

Rizza Jade Macaraig

Nickname:

Master, Rizza, Ricchan

20 yrs. old

apartment complex landlord, full-time ruler of our Viewire channel

online games, video games (only plays pirated software and emulation ROMs, though...), online shitposting...

Dislikes:

According to Lenard...

Her name is Rizza. Rizza Jade Macaraig.

But I call her Master. I wonder when exactly it was. When the apartment complex next door was just being built from ground up… me, Rizza and one other guy always play at that unfinished complex.

Since she's the daughter of that apartment's owner… she often bragged at how she's the master of that place. At every game we played, she's the hero. She's always the leader. We just follow. She's our master.

It didn't mattered to us that much, since we were all having fun at the end of the day. In fact, calling her 'Master' back then was supposed to be an insult to her back then. It didn't go that well, though… since she embraced it very easily. It went onto her head easily, lest to say.

Not that it matters to us any longer. I just hope she stopped being too haughty about it. Even until now, she keeps on bossing us around, after all.

x6nztrj5fanamtxtubzc.png

Name:

Edgar Allan Policarpio

Nickname:

Edgar

21 yrs. old

computer shop attendant/owner, freelance programmer

video games (only plays pirated software and emulation ROMs, though...), lurking in Mikileaks...

Dislikes:

According to Lenard...

His name is Edgar. Edgar Allan Policarpio.

He's uhh… a smart idiot?

His family runs a computer shop and he's mainly the attendant. That gave him tons of time to learn various skills through online and video tutorials. When he discovered he can make money out of those skills, he dropped college altogether.

Goddamnit. What an idiot. I'm sure his happy-go-lucky attitude will bite his ass someday.

Although… If someone asked me, while having a revolver pointed at my head, who my bestfriend is… I guess I'll be forced to utter this idiot's name.

Assets: Sprites

tw86l0spuxpk93roqkxl.png

Assets: Backgrounds

ixsu7axdpgypcqtlyuru.png

Screenshots

l5ytjnyhu0obgnfvnc9y.png

k1tymys4ittjkcu3b9fd.png

jwgcu8m0l49edgx0aop2.png

pgxk5rsmj3w1acpa9z7b.png

y2ij3kksb7mmdezaqoae.png

tfedd57c20q19drfq7ar.png

ajjbjye5wdnapctabdho.png

grfkkcyhxlrvr9bllxyp.png

t3nvxlnlauyo2o35zxdr.png

aobrguxcr44vxpiea3af.png

m2mnutaomtmwrdmzsdzi.png

Edited by zippermimic
additional details; remove white bg; demo fix; indiegogo cancel (not ready yet)

On 10/18/2017 at 4:13 PM, woobv said:

Wow! The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful. I love all the details in pixel work you have here. :D

Thanks! I'll be chipping it away while working so look forward to it!

On 10/19/2017 at 12:42 AM, Akimoto Masato said:

Can I play it on my game boy?

joking but if I can I’ll love you forever

Hahaha! That'll be rad if I can port to Gameboy!

22 hours ago, Soot Face said:

magaling ka desu~

your project looks unique! :D

Thanks! Nice having fellow Filipino in here! I'm working hard now for this project. Please await for announcements.

11 hours ago, Akimoto Masato said:

pinas sounds like penis

and yes it would be, although it would have to r u n on it and it would be fairly hard to do that I think

Hahaha! Isn't it!?

"Pinas" is actually a short-form of the word "Pilipinas": Our own way in here of pronouncing "Philippines".

I really thought it was a good title.

Ah, just in case you're not aware of it: the title "walang MOE sa Pinas!!!" translates to "There's no 'MOE' in Phillipines"!

2 hours ago, zippermimic said:

Thanks! Nice having fellow Filipino in here! I'm working hard now for this project. Please await for announcements.

Hahaha! Isn't it!?

"Pinas" is actually a short-form of the word "Pilipinas": Our own way in here of pronouncing "Philippines".

I really thought it was a good title.

Ah, just in case you're not aware of it: the title "walang MOE sa Pinas!!!" translates to "There's no 'MOE' in Phillipines"!

didn't really care lol