Jump to content

Anime/Manga that (you thought) are different from popular opinion


alden_0023
 Share

Recommended Posts

So are there any anime/manga that you have watched/read that you thought are very different than what the popular opinion on them suggests?

For me one would be Shingeki no Kyoujin, especially the 1st season of the anime. My friends talked about how good it was, but when I actually watched it, I just saw Eren as a very weak male lead and Mikasa as a yandere lead. Not many interesting characters (except Levi) and not much character development. Im still not giving up hope on this series though, but for me the 1st season got a lot of praise it didnt really deserve. (I might get a lot of heat on this one)

Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, alden_0023 said:

Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting.

It's hard to put much weight to your argument when your signature says "Lolis are life. Lolis are love. "

Anyway in my experience it was one punch man. I got so tired of the joke of him being the most powerful person in the universe yet treated like a loser. That grew old very quick and was the premise for the entire series. I really wanted to like it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

It's hard to put much weight to your argument when your signature says "Lolis are life. Lolis are love. "

That''s why I dare people to read it. Sure, I like lolis, but that shouldn't diminish the fact that it has an interesting setting, a good set of characters, and a well-written story.

You'd just have to read it lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sword Art Online. There was so much praise for it, but the characters were unnaturally bland. Basically the MC just one shotting characters till the final boss. With a slapdash of poor romance. The light novel is semi-decent though.

Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - Not very much praise for it. Only 3 minute episodes. Yet surprisingly deep and really very good. A kind of days in the life series about a weebo married to an ordinary girl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Kodomo no Jikan. People against the work seems to be of the opinion that it unnecessarily sexualizes the under-aged girls, and usually points to another work (whose name I can't remember) that supposedly does the same without the sexualization.

 

I'd offer Pumpkin Scissors here. It starts out like a mediocre wide-eyed idealist shonen manga (and the terrible anime adaptation only gets far enough to show this bit), but it turns into a much more interesting work that delves deeper into patents, society, justice, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This... thing. Ratings and reviews on both MAL and MU suggests that it is some sort of unbearable garbage which should be avoided at all cost. I, however, found it strangely enjoyable (though in a trainwreck kind of way).

Basically, it's just nonsense that supposedly represents strange fantasies of a mentally-ill person with a gender-bender fetish. So, yeah, I see why my opinion is unpopular.:wahaha:

Edited by Dreamysyu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to agree with people here. Shingeki no Kyoujin, One Punch Man and Sword Art Online are overrated in my eyes, though there are good things about them (SnK Season 2 is my favorite of anything in these three anime).

For my input: There are a quite few anime I didn't like that are really popular, but if I had to drop names - I thought Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service were really boring.

On the other side I don't know any anime that is considered bad that I liked. Maybe because I don't know what is considered bad. Accorinding to MAL stats, my top 4 of biggest positive vote difference from the median are on Kara no Kyoukai movies 2-3 and both seasons of Higurashi, but neither of them are actually popularly disliked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, Akshay said:

Sword Art Online. There was so much praise for it, but the characters were unnaturally bland. Basically the MC just one shotting characters till the final boss. With a slapdash of poor romance. The light novel is semi-decent though.

Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - Not very much praise for it. Only 3 minute episodes. Yet surprisingly deep and really very good. A kind of days in the life series about a weebo married to an ordinary girl.

 

Erm.... you do realize the popular opinion is that it's shit right? Like it's been memed to hell as THE shit anime xD

Will Further recommend Kodomo No Jikan. Builds an interesting premise and develops it well. Though would prefer a slower ending since the end seemed a bit rushed.

@ittaku

It's hard to put much weight to your argument when your signature says "Lolis are life. Lolis are love. "

 

Worth noting his bias but he did give points in his statement besides his bias and even acknowledged it. "Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting."

Dismissing his argument based on his signature is a logical fallacy. More specifically an Ad Hominem

Though if I misinterpreted it, and it was suppsed to be a joke then... whoops

Edited by iamnoob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Erm.... you do realize the popular opinion is that it's shit right? Like it's been memed to hell as THE shit anime xD

Actually, if you look on MAL the over score is 7.71 and considered good. It's just that those who hated it, hated it sooo much that they memed the shit after it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Will Further recommend Kodomo No Jikan. Builds an interesting premise and develops it well. Though would prefer a slower ending since the end seemed a bit rushed.

@ittaku

It's hard to put much weight to your argument when your signature says "Lolis are life. Lolis are love. "

 

Worth noting his bias but he did give points in his statement besides his bias and even acknowledged it. "Also, I'd dare people to read Kodomo no Jikan. I know people see this manga as lolicon fanservice fodder (it is, in some ways). But reading it unravels a story about different forms of love, relationships, and the challenges of being an educator. The issues that it tackled just cannot be tackled in any other setting."

Dismissing his argument based on his signature is a logical fallacy. More specifically an Ad Hominem

Though if I misinterpreted it, and it was supposed to be a joke then... whoops

You did indeed misinterpret it as he did too :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eromanga-sensei. I'm one of the people who proudly like it and think it's a genuinely good show. It's best seen as a comedy, not because it's in the so bad it's good demographic, because it actually for the most part is a comedy. It just has a bunch of lewd humor to go along with the story, which honestly isn't that bad. I really like the way that Sagiri and Izumi push each other and the way their relationship develops. I think most people have a problem with the age of the characters, but I could not care less about that. In fact, it sort of makes it better that the characters are this old since it makes some of the humor more jarring, thus more funny to me. I would have more sympathy for the anti-Eromanga crowd if they didn't act like they were exaggerating every time they talked about it. Like when they talk about Eromanga's humor saying that most of it is unoriginal, I have to disagree as I find that most of the jokes are actually very original because of how far they take the lewd and uncomfortable aspects of the humor. They also say there's a ton of fanservice and that Sagiri's panties are constantly shoved into our faces, but that's completely wrong. There is some fanservice, but it's not like there some every single second of the show and every time there is some, it's almost always justified within the plot, rather than just getting suggestive angles in unnecessary places. I've even heard people say that Eromanga-sensei looks bad visually. People can say what they want about Eromanga-sensei, but saying it looks bad is just disingenuous. Eromanga-sensei actually looks pretty damn good, and looking back at Oreimo, it's amazing how much better Eromanga is than that show. It's actually a lot better than a lot of the other anime I've seen this year. If you want an anime that looks bad, then there's plenty of anime to choose from, but Eromanga-sensei is not one of those. The Eromanga-sensei hate bandwagon that has surged this year is probably one of the most obnoxious I've seen yet. Especially since Gigguk made some unfunny memes about it and now people are repeating it when justifying why they like Eromanga-sensei instead of actually defending it, so now there's nobody who is trying to look at the good of the show, but rather they just say it's bad but they like it, which is not a way of thinking that I will ever agree with. If you like something, don't just say that it's bad despite your opinion, because somewhere the show resonated with you, and you shouldn't be trying to ignore that.

Edited by pik3rob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

Eromanga-sensei. I'm one of the people who proudly like it and think it's a genuinely good show. It's best seen as a comedy, not because it's in the so bad it's good demographic, because it actually for the most part is a comedy. It just has a bunch of lewd humor to go along with the story, which honestly isn't that bad. I really like the way that Sagiri and Izumi push each other and the way their relationship develops. I think most people have a problem with the age of the characters, but I could not care less about that. In fact, it sort of makes it better that the characters are this old since it makes some of the humor more jarring, thus more funny to me. I would have more sympathy for the anti-Eromanga crowd if they didn't act like they were exaggerating every time they talked about it. Like when they talk about Eromanga's humor saying that most of it is unoriginal, I have to disagree as I find that most of the jokes are actually very original because of how far they take the lewd and uncomfortable aspects of the humor. They also say there's a ton of fanservice and that Sagiri's panties are constantly shoved into our faces, but that's completely wrong. There is some fanservice, but it's not like there some every single second of the show and every time there is some, it's almost always justified within the plot, rather than just getting suggestive angles in unnecessary places. I've even heard people say that Eromanga-sensei looks bad visually. People can say what they want about Eromanga-sensei, but saying it looks bad is just disingenuous. Eromanga-sensei actually looks pretty damn good, and looking back at Oreimo, it's amazing how much better Eromanga is than that show. It's actually a lot better than a lot of the other anime I've seen this year. If you want an anime that looks bad, then there's plenty of anime to choose from, but Eromanga-sensei is not one of those. The Eromanga-sensei hate bandwagon that has surged this year is probably one of the most obnoxious I've seen yet. Especially since Gigguk made some unfunny memes about it and now people are repeating it when justifying why they like Eromanga-sensei instead of actually defending it, so now there's nobody who is trying to look at the good of the show, but rather they just say it's bad but they like it, which is not a way of thinking that I will ever agree with. If you like something, don't just say that it's bad despite your opinion, because somewhere the show resonated with you, and you shouldn't be trying to ignore that.

Good luck; I hope no one rips on you too too badly. :)

I haven't watched Eromanga yet, so I can't really comment on anything. I am aware that the amount of hate it receives is really excessive though, and having the entire fanbase glorifying it as the ultimate guilty pleasure wouldn't help much either. Your words have sparked my interest though, so I think I'll give this anime a try soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I haven't watched Eromanga yet, so I can't really comment on anything. I am aware that the amount of hate it receives is really excessive though, and having the entire fanbase glorifying it as the ultimate guilty pleasure wouldn't help much either. Your words have sparked my interest though, so I think I'll give this anime a try soon.

As long as you know what you're getting into and accept that it's basically just a comedy anime that just so happens to have underage characters and lewd humor, then it should be a good time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I quite enjoyed Eromanga. I found it very amusing even though it was clear what tropes it was playing on since it wasn't an execution of those tropes but a parody of them done in a way that, for me at least, was funny. I prefer to form my own opinions rather than be swayed by some popular opinion that automatically disses something based on its content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Is Eromanga going to reverse this?

If you mean whether or not Eromanga-sensei will reverse it's hate train, then I don't see that happening. It seems that people now consider not liking Eromanga-sensei as a sign of great taste and hating it has become a meme in itself with every single time someone brings up awful anime, someone will bring up Eromanga-sensei. I think the best we could hope for is a Yosuga no Sora situation where it gets a lot of hate, but it mellows out and you occasionally come across people who genuinely like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...