New Visual Novel Project and Copyrights

Rivendare

Hello everyone, I am planing to start a new interactive visual novel project which will be an alternative story line for a very popular game trilogy. I think I have a good story in my mind, I want to hire digital artist(s) and voice actors. I want to open a Patreon account to support me on that one. I was wondering if copyrights would be any issue for me. Does anybody have any information about it? Thanks

Google is your friend.  You can find much more accurate information about copyright law on Google than you will find here.

Now, I am not a lawyer.  But what you are planning on doing is illegal, full stop.  It would be classified as a derivative work if it ever went to court.  Does this mean you can't do it?  No, not at all.  Many fan projects never attract official attention at all.  But the ones that do always fold.  Look at Pokemon Uranium or AM2R or Chrono Resurrection.  Also, one thing you absolutely cannot do is charge money or solicit donations.  Legally speaking, doing either of these is irrelevant.  Practically speaking, you are far more likely to attract the attention of the copyright holders, and they will take you far more seriously than they would otherwise.

So if you want to spend a bunch of your own money doing this, be prepared for the eventuality that your work will never see the light of day.  (You could always try to get official permission, of course, but, uh, I wouldn't count on it.)  How likely is that to happen?  If I could predict the future THAT well, you'd be paying me money :maple: