✨【Love Net】✨ » A (Dark) Web Browser Romance

woobv

PwshIZj.png

【 Romance ✦ Psychological ✦ Tragedy 】

larger_blinking_text_cursor_by_neripixu-A game about love , desperation, and sensitivity.
Explore the world of romance with web browsers
while being exposed to dark, real world problems.

Theme: Everyone is Beautiful

Warning: Do not follow if you are sensitive to topics like violence, gender identity and death.

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Demo Features
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif Over 10 events with at least 20,000 words
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif More than 10 CG's to collect for your gallery
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif Play mini-games to boost your love chances and story progression
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif Re-play value with 7 unique endings
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif Addresses real-world problems
__by_kittyrocker-d9240mf.gif 6 Hot Boys & 1 Hot Girl

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Summary
It's a brand new school year and you just transferred into W3 Academy. As you begin your 3rd Year, you meet some very interesting people who have issues of their own. School events and festivals lead to some interesting developments between you and a potential romantic interest. But be careful, there's more than meets the eye. You may struggle, cry, or plead in this not-so-ordinary high school life.
____speech_bubble_by_sanitydying-d536lr6
Shunned if spoken, ignored when muted 。

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Characters

WzpWXYb.png

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Credit
bulletteal_by_drawn_mario-d9qg9w5.png The Programmer (Former Known As ProgrammerGuy) ◈ programmer | initial story
bulletteal_by_drawn_mario-d9qg9w5.png woobv ◈ director | writer | artist × ui designer

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Demo Progress
Deadline: November 6, 2017

Outline: 100%
Script: Arc 1 (100%)
Sprites: 1%
CG: 0%
GUI: 100%
Programming: 5%

We will only be completing one route from Arc 1 for the demo.
If there is enough interest, we will continue the project after November 6, 2017.

* We will be using free Backgrounds and Audio under the Creative Commons License

Image Updates

• Oct. o9 - Decided to make the game and recruited The Programmer
  • Oct. 1o - Finished the Outline for Arcs 1 - 4 & 50% of Arc 1 Script
  • Oct. 11 - Created concept artwork for Chrome Boy and Firefox Lad
  • Oct. 12 - Made character sketches for Netscape, Opera, Safari
  • Oct. 13 - Designed the logo, Microsoft Edge and 2 hidden characters
  • Oct. 14 - Drafted the GUI for (1) choice box, (2) text box, (3) register screen, & (4) quit box | Decided to re-do the scope and only publish Arc 1 for the demo
  • Oct. 15 - Finished Main Menu and (almost) the Gallery
  • Oct. 17 - Wrote up Character Outlines & Backgrounds for 2 characters
  • Oct. 18 - Designed Branching for Route 1 of 5 (Arc 1)
  • Oct. 19 - Composer finished Theme Song: SOUNDCLOUD
  • Oct. 23 - Finished writing Main Events of Timeline (#1-10) and Ending #1 (18k milestone)
  • Oct. 25 - All events and endings are complete (for 1 Route/1 Arc)
  • Oct. 26 - Created the remaining GUI assets: (1) Settings Screen, (2) Mini-game boxes, (3) MC Portrait

right_angle_bracket_by_diegovainilla-d9j Questions
◼ What do you think of our approach to handle some very tough topics?
◼ What are you expecting/hoping to see in the game?
◼ If you could sum up the characters' personalities in 1 sentence, what would it be (more character concepts coming soon)?
◼ What is the most appealing aspect of this game thus far?
◼ Please describe your first impressions of this game.
◼ Using your best judgment, what do you think this game will be about mostly?

Director's Notes
Hello, everyone! Thank you so much for your interest in our game. The goal of this game is mostly to bring awareness to some very dark and sensitive topics that many high school students face today. Of course, there are so many issues that our youth struggles with, so we only tackle a few of the bigger topics that are sometimes swept under the rug (like bullying, sexual assault, gender crisis). This may offend some people, but overall, I hope to bring light on these topics. There are so many very. real. problems that people around us continue to deal with. I would like to dedicate this to those who struggled, are struggling, and will struggle with these things.
Edited by woobv

Just finished all the concept artwork I could get out of me today! Can't work anymore. @ ~ @ must sleep~

I'll be doing 3-4 final concept artwork and then I'll be done with all the character sketches. ^ ^ (1 will not be revealed tho~ ehe)

NCZ1FmC.png

8 hours ago, woobv said:

Just finished all the concept artwork I could get out of me today! Can't work anymore. @ ~ @ must sleep~

I'll be doing 3-4 final concept artwork and then I'll be done with all the character sketches. ^ ^ (1 will not be revealed tho~ ehe)

NCZ1FmC.png

God... ya' did a good job with the artwork, the characters really look like anime-ish versions of browsers xo) Also try not go overboard with the main theme, try to make it subtle enough so that it doesn't look exagerated and the message you're trying to pass gets through the Reader\Player.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, SeniorBlitz said:

God... ya' did a good job with the artwork, the characters really look like anime-ish versions of browsers xo) Also try not go overboard with the main theme, try to make it subtle enough so that it doesn't look exagerated and the message you're trying to pass gets through the Reader\Player.

Awww, thank you very much! I'm glad you like the artwork. ^ ^

Yes, I will hopefully bring up the sensitive topics in such a way that isn't "all up in your face" to the reader, which would be the opposite effect of what we'd hope! :)

Unless you mean the web browser theme... in which case, we hope it will provide comic relief for an otherwise dark story! ^ ^ We are hoping to balance it out with some fun elements along with sensitive, serious topics.

================

Also, just finished the rest of the character sketches AND the logo last night!! WHOOO! Update here:

WzpWXYb.png

3 minutes ago, woobv said:

Awww, thank you very much! I'm glad you like the artwork. ^ ^

Yes, I will hopefully bring up the sensitive topics in such a way that isn't "all up in your face" to the reader, which would be the opposite effect of what we'd hope! :)

Unless you mean the web browser theme... in which case, we hope it will provide comic relief for an otherwise dark story! ^ ^ We are hoping to balance it out with some fun elements along with sensitive, serious topics.

================

Also, just finished the rest of the character sketches AND the logo last night!! WHOOO! Update here:

WzpWXYb.png

Yeah I actually was talking about the sensitive topics, I hope you suceed on adapting this type of topics in a lighthearted setting :o) and the logo and the other characters looks very good! 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Yeah I actually was talking about the sensitive topics, I hope you suceed on doing that :o) and the logo and the other characters looks very good! 

Thank you very much for your encouragement! It is definitely a difficult thing to tackle, but I do hope we succeed too hehe! ^ ^

Hi all! Today's update is the UI assets I made so far~

I'd say I'm about 25-30% done with all the GUI needed for the 1st episode of the game. :D

Also, we're doing a major re-haul for the demo being released on November 6th. Instead of coming out with 3 short arcs (potentially unpolished), we will be extending Arc 1 to be a little longer and make it SUPER polished for a teaser~ :D

TWI4O13.png

Oh, and almost forgot~~~~

Big Announcement!

So based on some feedback on other groups/forums, we've decided to focus on JUST Arc 1, instead of 3 shorter arcs. We will be extending Arc 1 to incorporate a few of the story elements in other arcs, and will be releasing just 1 episode for our demo on November 6.

Another thing is...... because of our expanded long-term scope, we are adding a couple more characters! 1 was requested very heavily. A very... "dark" character. XD Ehehe~~ Hope you guys like the addition.

Edited by woobv

Apologies for not updating yesterday. I felt like I didn't make enough progress to warrant a post, but now I have a bit more to share today!

Here we have the Main Menu Screen. Our programmer is hoping to get some animations going (a "nice-to-have" feature). And the save/load screen along with the gallery!

With this, I'd say I've tackled about 50% of the GUi for Arc 1! Just have to make the screen for settings, Mini-Game, the MC's portrait screen, and "The Love Net" (book filled with each character's bio). If we have time, we'd like to include a "Map" of different locations you can go to, but it may not happen! XD

P.S. Please ignore some of my super old sketches/drawings for a long time ago. > ~ < yikes;; embarrassing.

6BDJOJ7.png

Finally, we had the idea that if you finish the game once (in this case, the demo), your main menu screen will look glitched like this:

CcSY4ZD.png

I'm wondering......... am I revealing too much? LOL I should leave some surprise shouldn't I... *hmmmmmm*

Also, we'll be recruiting some voice actors to see if we can include a nice extra element to the game!

Thank you guys so much for your feedback! (Sorry for taking a while to respond, been dealing with a bit of a medical emergency. > ~ < )
And thank you @Fuwa Elite! Glad you like it ^ ^

Our setting is placed in High School, so we did want the browsers to be relatively the same age with their personality being characteristic of which browser they represent (e.g. Netscape being very weak and slow to respond). 

As for Opera *ohoho* :^) I think so, too!

Chrome, we thought, was an overall pleasant guy that was good at everything and wanted to portray almost a stereo-typical male protagonist kind of feel!

========================

Also, wanted to say if anyone is interested in Voice Acting, we have a very, very short deadline, but would love auditions from anyone who would like to take a shot and has some free time! (Clicking on the picture will send you to the Recruitment Thread on LemmaSoft :D)

22491458_10214763622709331_8232448879833

49 minutes ago, woobv said:
Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in an update~

Here is the current branching for 1 of the routes (out of 5) in Arc 1! :D It is indeed fairly short. We are aiming for roughly 10,000 words for this route.

OKHMarf.png

Will the game support a built-in flowchart freature? that would be pretty cool. 

8 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Will the game support a built-in flowchart freature? that would be pretty cool. 

Oh! I have never heard of such a feature before. Do you mean a flowchart that players can reference, and event scenes will stay hidden/grayed out until you "unlock" them? :D

17 hours ago, woobv said:

Oh! I have never heard of such a feature before. Do you mean a flowchart that players can reference, and event scenes will stay hidden/grayed out until you "unlock" them? :D

Yes! Like the one in VLR:

Example:

Spoiler

Resultado de imagem para Virtues last reward flowchart

That would be pretty awesome! Also don't give yourself strict deadlines (unless you're working for a company) take your time to polish, personal deadlines doesn't help all that much (well at least in my opinion).

On 10/19/2017 at 9:43 AM, SeniorBlitz said:

Yes! Like the one in VLR:

Example:

Reveal hidden contents

That would be pretty awesome! Also don't give yourself strict deadlines (unless you're working for a company) take your time to polish, personal deadlines doesn't help all that much (well at least in my opinion).

Oh, wow! That looks really cool actually! I'll have to ask the programmer because at this point, it would mostly be about implementing it into the game. XD 
I would love it if we could do that though! Thanks for the suggestion. :) <3

=====================================

Oh man, sorry for the long silence there! I was working on the script, but had a prior travel arrangement over the weekend (all day from Friday~Sunday) and couldn't really work on anything during that time. 

But I've been working hard since I've come back!

Newest Update:

• Just hit an 18k milestone in our writing! This is just for 1 route in Arc 1, haha~
  • Finished casting for voices for our characters! People have begun to submit lines too, very exciting.
  • The theme song was finished on Thursday! You can listen here: SOUNDCLOUD

Screenshots:

Visual sneak peek of the script on Sublime Text Editor!

Almost at that 18,000 word count!

Some shenanigans that my programmer and I say to each other. (I'm "Waifu" heh)

You'll start seeing some artwork again soon! ^ ^

Edited by woobv

7 hours ago, woobv said:

Oh, wow! That looks really cool actually! I'll have to ask the programmer because at this point, it would mostly be about implementing it into the game. XD 
I would love it if we could do that though! Thanks for the suggestion. :) <3

=====================================

Oh man, sorry for the long silence there! I was working on the script, but had a prior travel arrangement over the weekend (all day from Friday~Sunday) and couldn't really work on anything during that time. 

But I've been working hard since I've come back!

Newest Update:

• Just hit an 18k milestone in our writing! This is just for 1 route in Arc 1, haha~
  • Finished casting for voices for our characters! People have begun to submit lines too, very exciting.
  • The theme song was finished on Thursday! You can listen here: SOUNDCLOUD

Screenshots:

Visual sneak peek of the script on Sublime Text Editor!

Almost at that 18,000 word count!

Some shenanigans that my programmer and I say to each other. (I'm "Waifu" heh)

You'll start seeing some artwork again soon! ^ ^

I aprove of the shenanigans, also you should create a VNDB (Visual Novel Database) page for your Visual Novel.

2 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

I aprove of the shenanigans, also you should create a VNDB (Visual Novel Database) page for your Visual Novel.

Ooooh! I actually haven't explored that yet. VNDB looks a little intimidating haha. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for suggesting that! I probably would have not thought about it. XD

11 minutes ago, woobv said:

VNDB looks a little intimidating haha.

You're welcome :o)  VNDB is not that intimidating, is very self-explanatory really, you create an account, click on the "Add Visual Novel" button, put in the name and the rest is pretty easy. 

Just now, SeniorBlitz said:

VNDB is not that intimidating, is very self-explanatory really, you create an account, click on the "Add Visual Novel" button, put in the name and the rest is pretty easy. 

Ohhh! I didn't know it was so simple. I guess I never really explored it, and there were many links XD Should have looked closer!