Marketing Questions & Development Frustrations

Hi everyone! I'm an indie developer of a murder mystery visual novel and boy have I been learning so much about social media marketing and realizing how little I know. It is my first visual novel after all so I did expect some bums in the road.

I'm in a bit of a slow development period because I'm a full time college student and so is my artist. I decided to use this chance to create background images (I actually do those my artist does characters and gui) and so far that's going a lot faster than I imagined so I'm super stoked about that! 

But I also decided to make a wordpress blog and create a whole bunch of social media accounts and keeping up with them isn't the hard part. It's figuring out what kind of content people would like to see. Especially because I'm at a point where I could release a demo if I had the character sprites but I don't and I'm like ah! I really want to show off my demo and spread the cute characters and funny story I have but I can't. I'm doing character spotlights now and in the near future i'll be posting about game mechanics such as how to solve a case since my game is about being a detective.

I suppose I'm wondering what other kinds of content could I produce for marketing purposes while I'm waiting for my demo to come out? And how do I stay positive with such a low follower count and low engagement with the community? Also, if anyone has like a good amount of followers on any social media site, how long did it take to get to like 100 or 1000 followers?

Thanks so much for reading this crazy long post haha. Any help is appreciated!

Getting followers takes time specially if you're an Indie Dev. You're probably a Busy Person, but in the meanwhile you should try to post stuff on your social media (like progress and updates) if the flow is constant people will get interested, also don't lose your hope yet, as long as you keep the accounts you created alive and flowing you are probably gonna get attention eventually (slowly but surely ya'know), also try using a lot of tags for your stuff (no misleading tags of course) so it's easier to purrrsons to find your content.  

Thank you! Is there ever a point where you can post too much? Like is there a magic number where it starts to be sort of spammy? Cause on twitter i'll go and search for people talking about visual novels and i'll recommend following my progress but I'm scared of doing that too much but it's been the only way i've gotten followers so far.

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

Pick a few trusted reviewers of VNs (not pros, but bloggers), then give them a free copy.  If your VN is good, that's advertising right there.

Thanks! I have a small time blogger who I'm planning on giving my demo and then the full game if they’re interested once it's all completely finished of course.

3 hours ago, TheColdCaseOfNoellaBejerot said:

Thank you! Is there ever a point where you can post too much? Like is there a magic number where it starts to be sort of spammy? Cause on twitter i'll go and search for people talking about visual novels and i'll recommend following my progress but I'm scared of doing that too much but it's been the only way i've gotten followers so far.

Try to create an agenda (in a way) Ex. 12am you post this then three hours later that, etc... Then the probability of people thinking that you're spamming is lessend.

Edited by Guest