To Heart 2 discussion thread

ittaku

4 hours ago, MarcomiX said:

You sure?

Hide contents

The mother wanted to go to the US to separate Sasara from her father, that was moving near them. When Sasara and the main character met her parents near the school, at night, the mother said that she won't go to the US anymore. Moreover, Sasara doesn't want to be separated from the main character (she said that clearly). During the roof scene, the one in which Sasara and the Main character jumped off the roof, Sasara's mother and father seems to get together again (she calls him "anatta", "dear").

Then, after all the things they went through, SASARA HERSELF wants to depart from the main character. Her mother goes to the US before her. Nobody knows if the father follows her or not. All the previous part was USELESS, a mere excuse to show a damn H-scene.

Now, I've got 2 interpretations for this ending:
-Sasara's feelings towards the main character were not genuine enough. She  doesn't "love" him anymore and chooses to go abroad, leaving him.
-Sasara just used the main character as an excuse to rebel against her parents.

I don't know about you, but I don't see any logical sense to this ending.

Hide contents

Leaving the story at the pre-credit scene won't make any sense either...it would have been too "uncomplete".
If I were to write the ending of the story, I would keep the things simple: after they got caught up on the Island, they returned home. Sasara, still unwilling to come back to her mother's house, keeps living with the main characher. After the graduation, the main character would make his marriage proposal to her. She would accept it (the Sarasa's way: crying and asking herself if she would be a good wife).

Simple is best. if they call it a GOOD or HAPPY ending, it MUST BE GOOD OR HAPPY.

No, I think you're confusing "shit" with "not happy". It's just plain shit.

Spoiler

Sasara is simply going overseas for personal development that has nothing to do with her parents and yes it is devaluing the MC but with the weak excuse that she has a view to meeting with him again in the future.

Despite that, it's still shit.

I enjoyed the VN as a whole but I've gotta say that Sasara's route, while filled to the brim with great ideas, was pretty bad. The story made no sense, the actual romance was executed horribly though it was good in concept, and perhaps worst of all was that the ending, while again good in concept, was executed horribly. It came completely out of left field and completely went against everything that had been shown not even five minutes prior without even attempting to bridge the gap somehow to lessen the slap to the face. Basically, there was loads of potential throughout the route but due to horrible execution and at times lazy writing it just didn't work, at all.

17 minutes ago, Kabu said:

I enjoyed the VN as a whole but I've gotta say that Sasara's route, while filled to the brim with great ideas, was pretty bad. The story made no sense, the actual romance was executed horribly though it was good in concept, and perhaps worst of all was that the ending, while again good in concept, was executed horribly. It came completely out of left field and completely went against everything that had been shown not even five minutes prior without even attempting to bridge the gap somehow to lessen the slap to the face. Basically, there was loads of potential throughout the route but due to horrible execution and at times lazy writing it just didn't work, at all.

Yes it seems that's pretty much the overwhelming opinion. To Heart 2 came out as an all ages game originally withOUT Sasara in it and the X rated PC game came out less than a year later and Sasara was an add on. It's clear to me they were trying to cash in on tropes that had suddenly gotten popular in that time in her route and in the process pretty much ruined it. The rest of the routes are all variable quality from good to excellent but none of them are bad and have similar redeeming qualities, while hers is a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I don't know if this is the appropriate part of the forums to post this, or if its appropriate in general, but:

The bak.pak file of my copy of ToHeart2 is corrupted. Can anyone be so kind to send me a copy of it, somewhere like zippyshare or something. It should be around 300mb I tihink? I've been reading text with nothing but a black background and the like...

Thanks, and apologies if I have violated anything.

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, twisted said:

There's a bunch of text that's left untranslated at the end of Manaka's route. Does anyone know what it says?

That's because it's part of the video and not actual in game text. All the routes have something similar. I'll take a look when time permits and get back to you.

3 minutes ago, ittaku said:

It says:

Reveal hidden contents

This is my refuge.

Thank you...

Thanks, I'm pretty sure there were at least a few lines more though. 

Spoiler

It was never explained how they saved the archives so I assumed it would be mentioned there.

Also, I only played through Manaka and Yuma's routes so far (and Yuma's didn't have any text at the end), so I didn't realise there would be untranslated text at the end of all the routes. If it's plot relevant wouldn't it be a good idea to provide a translation, even if it's not ingame?

Edited by twisted

10 minutes ago, twisted said:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure there were at least a few lines more though. 

Reveal hidden contents

It was never explained how they saved the archives so I assumed it would be mentioned there.

Also, I only played through Manaka and Yuma's routes so far (and Yuma's didn't have any text at the end), so I didn't realise there would be untranslated text at the end of all the routes. If it's plot relevant wouldn't it be a good idea to provide a translation, even if it's not ingame?

Nope, I checked the video, it's only 2 lines in the video and all other text is translated. Not sure how you expect me to translate what's in the video and show it in the game? The only option was to reencode the video and subtitle that component and while I toyed with that idea, I didn't bother in the end since distributing videos would make the patch much much bigger and be a much clearer copyright violation. As it is there is no copyright violation. On the whole all of these lines in each girls' closing video are repeated lines from the girls' routes; they don't add anything to the story.

2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Nope, I checked the video, it's only 2 lines in the video and all other text is translated. Not sure how you expect me to translate what's in the video and show it in the game? The only option was to reencode the video and subtitle that component and while I toyed with that idea, I didn't bother in the end since distributing videos would make the patch much much bigger and be a much clearer copyright violation. As it is there is no copyright violation. On the whole all of these lines in each girls' closing video are repeated lines from the girls' routes; they don't add anything to the story.

maybe put them in a notepad file along with the patch???

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

Nope, I checked the video, it's only 2 lines in the video and all other text is translated. Not sure how you expect me to translate what's in the video and show it in the game? The only option was to reencode the video and subtitle that component and while I toyed with that idea, I didn't bother in the end since distributing videos would make the patch much much bigger and be a much clearer copyright violation. As it is there is no copyright violation. On the whole all of these lines in the video are repeated lines from the girls' routes; they don't add anything to the story.

I just skipped through to the end and I counted 7 lines. It's broken into 2 parts I think.

I was thinking the same thing as @wyldstrykr, either that or just post the lines here.

4 minutes ago, twisted said:

I just skipped through to the end and I counted 7 lines. It's broken into 2 parts I think.

I rewatched it to make sure and I only see 2 lines for Manaka's ED. The rest are game credits.

EDIT Again: No I still only see 2 lines. The others I saw are in other girls' routes.

20 minutes ago, twisted said:

https://imgur.com/a/XGQeo

Here are all the lines. The ED is just a black screen for me so I skipped it, maybe we're talking about different things?

Ah right sorry, yes they're bitmaps, not the video but still not text in the game so they'd have to be graphic edited. Looking through the extracted bitmaps, they only did that on Manaka's route for some reason. Perhaps they felt they didn't give enough of a postscript in the video for her because of

Spoiler

Ikuno's part in the story as the extra text is a monologue from Ikuno.

Manaka's extra postscript:

Spoiler

The words thank you are for seeing the brilliant skies that are always floating above for the first time.

Thanks also for the absurd floating sight provided by my Onee-chan.

And while I'm at it, thanks to that idiot...

• 4 months later...

I posted this in "What are you playing" thread, but I think I should put it in game thread too:

I finished To Heart 2 yesterday. It was great experience for me. I just had to get used to the interface (no separate textbox), but it went smoothly.

It is "mother of moeges" (at least for translated ones :) ) - there were sooo many familiar things I recognized from later games I've read. I liked all routes - Yuma route felt somewhat weaker than the others for me, but it was still enjoyable, I just felt that in some places it didn't flow as smoothly as the rest.

I can't decide on best girl - all were sweet.First route I read was Konomi - nice start, and good one to start with, as her route makes also most of the "common".

Next was Tama-nee :wub: I thought she will be my best girl, but then other strong contenders appeared ;) However, she still is somewhere around the top.

Spoiler

I agree, that Tama-nee can be considered early Momoyo prototype :D

Also, in her route we see the all-girls-school "beloved Onee-sama" trope. Princess Evangile seems to build on this some significant parts of its story

Next onto Sasara. After reading some posts I was little afraid, but it actually was good too. I agree - the MC's stubborness was a little over the top, but I was (or probably still am) on similar levels of stupidity, so can't really complain :P Being scolded by Tama-nee (which she also did in Ruuko route) actually gave me some food for thought. And Sasara herself was sweet.

Manaka - she probably is the MOEst of them all. Nice and sweet route, with some drama thrown in - very good.

Yuma - the tsundere. Lots of funny moments, but later I feel there were some jumps in the story, therefore it is the weaker route for me - but still OK. "Don't think that means you have won!"

Karin - nothing special, but nice. "Guess who?"

Yuuki - this route took me somewhat by surprise - it was great. Yuuki was beautiful and nice, and her ending had some of the KeyMagicTM (it wouldn't feel out of place in "Little Busters"). Little short, but definitely one of the best routes for me.

The Twins (Sango & Ruuri) - nice. Ending was... erm... interesting ;)

Spoiler

Twins route in Konosora seems to borrow heavily from this. And then the android girl looks like she inspired AIESS from Majikoi A-2

Ruuko - out-of-this-world setting ;) , but very enjoyable route. Ruuko is easily one of the best girls in this game. "Ruu!" \o/

Art (characters and backgrounds) looks good. Music was very nice too. And the animated OP was amazing - it's pretty rare to see full animated scenes in VN OP instead of just character sprites with credits next to them and some effects.

Translation was decent - there were some missing or redundant words here and there, but no game-breakers.

Overall - 8/10 from me.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Ruuko - out-of-this-world setting ;) , but very enjoyable route. Ruuko is easily one of the best girls in this game. "Ruu!" \o/

Translation was decent - there were some missing or redundant words here and there, but no game-breakers.

Overall - 8/10 from me.

Now that's some good taste right there ;)

Glad you enjoyed it.

Ruu \o/

Since the thread has been bumped I may as well ask something I'm wondering here. 

Does the VN have a way of pushing you onto a route of some sort no matter what you do? I've been using the walkthrough to get onto the desired routes, and it says basically to stalk the girl you're interested in. What if you go to random girls every day? 

Also are there any other routes that were added in after the fact like the Sasara route? 

6 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Since the thread has been bumped I may as well ask something I'm wondering here. 

Does the VN have a way of pushing you onto a route of some sort no matter what you do? I've been using the walkthrough to get onto the desired routes, and it says basically to stalk the girl you're interested in. What if you go to random girls every day? 

Also are there any other routes that were added in after the fact like the Sasara route? 

If you don't score enough good karma with one of the heroines you end up with the Yuuji ending.

Sasara was the only character added after the all ages version to X rated, however later versions added yet another character Mio Hanesaki who was never in the original games or anime or anything: http://aquaplus.jp/th2dxp/character11.html They also explained her conspicuous absence from the rest of the story by making her so bland that no one notices she exists most of the time. The continued popularity of the game a decade later is the reason they could still milk the franchise for another character as an excuse to make people buy the dx version when the rest of the game was unchanged (apart from removing the H content since the later versions were all ages.)

Just now, ittaku said:

If you don't score enough good karma with one of the heroines you end up with the Yuuji ending.

Sasara was the only character added after the all ages version to X rated, however later versions added yet another character Mio Hanesaki who was never in the original games or anime or anything: http://aquaplus.jp/th2dxp/character11.html The continued popularity of the game a decade later is the reason they could still milk the franchise for another character as an excuse to make people buy the dx version when the rest of the game was unchanged (apart from removing the H content since the later versions were all ages.)

Ah thanks a lot! Is her route well done at least? It seems like it's tricky to add characters in well after a release without it going badly...

Also there's one other thing I wanted to ask that I forgot to edit into the previous post - 

Spoiler

What's the deal with the robot lady in the shopping mall on I think 4 March? Is that a character, or? I've been through Konomi & Sasara's routes and I still can't quite figure out what's going on there...