To Heart 2 discussion thread

ittaku

Now that the final patch is released I've started this thread for discussion of the actual game.

The patch is available in the following thread:

Please use spoiler tags liberally if you want to discuss anything about the story that even might be considered spoilers.

Ruu \o/

Hello there!
I just want to know something about Sasara and Ma-ryan...
...Just friendship?
To quote one of the Ma-ryan lines: "Touch her. She likes it".

Now, I don't necessarily mean that she's referring to..."THAT" type of skinship, but something about them doesn't seems so straight-forward.
So, can you tell me the nature of their relationship? I don't care about spoilers (though it might be wise to answer me using the "spoiler" function)...

I fear that this VN is  going to be another "Hoshizora no Memoria", for me.

1 minute ago, MarcomiX said:

Hello there!
I just want to know something about Sasara and Ma-ryan...
...Just friendship?
To quote one of the Ma-ryan lines: "Touch her. She likes it".

Now, I don't necessarily mean that she's referring to..."THAT" type of skinship, but something about them doesn't seems so straight-forward.
So, can you tell me the nature of their relationship? I don't care about spoilers (though it might be wise to answer me using the "spoiler" function)...

I fear that this VN is  going to be another "Hoshizora no Memoria", for me.

To answer that is a bit of a spoiler in itself.

Spoiler

Ma-ryan tried very hard to be Sasara's friend previously (and succeeded) and she picks on her as a way of trying to make her smile. That's just the nature of Ma-ryan's crazy personality. There's nothing sexual about the relationship between them.

Just now, ittaku said:

To answer that is a bit of a spoiler in itself.

Hide contents

Ma-ryan tried very hard to be Sasara's friend previously (and succeeded) and she picks on her as a way of trying to make her smile. That's just the nature of Ma-ryan's crazy personality. There's nothing sexual about the relationship between them.

Well...I can figure it out by the VNDB description....but I struggle to believe that it's nothing more than "friendship". I am not implying that they actually have done "ecchi-stuffs", but...

I don't know, I feel like the only girl I found interesting is actually in love with another character....

11 minutes ago, MarcomiX said:

Well...I can figure it out by the VNDB description....but I struggle to believe that it's nothing more than "friendship". I am not implying that they actually have done "ecchi-stuffs", but...

I don't know, I feel like the only girl I found interesting is actually in love with another character....

I guess you just have to play it through to further to understand her mentality. She's just plain crazy with moments of maturity. The sexually forward nature of a side character to tease others is a common trope and mechanism for laughter and titillation that sometimes works and sometimes falls flat. There's nothing more to read into it here.

5 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I guess you just have to play it through to further to understand her mentality. She's just plain crazy with moments of maturity. The sexually forward nature of a side character to tease others is a common trope and mechanism for laughter and titillation that sometimes works and sometimes falls flat. There's nothing more to read into it here.

And what about Sasara herself? Is she in love with her? (or better, has she ever been in love with her?)

1 minute ago, MarcomiX said:

And what about Sasara herself? Is she in love with her? (or better, has she ever been in love with her?)

Spoiler

Ma-ryan is the only girl Sasara ever considered as her friend but tries to pretend it never happened. It's the major plot device in the first arc and a major spoiler.

1 minute ago, wyldstrykr said:

i wonder if there is a true route in this?

also the best part on me is the conversation of 2 ruus \o/ and "dont think you already won" line. the tongue twister arent bad either

There is no true route, however a significant part of Konomi's route (and less so Tamaki's route) constitutes common route so it should probably be done first otherwise her route ends up feeling flat and short if you skip the common parts when you decide to play her route.

I just want to toss out a recommendation that people give the twins' bad ending route a try (as well as their good ending route, naturally). The bad ending is a downer, of course, but there's some hilarious stuff along the way, including (I guess this is technically a spoiler, but it's the farthest thing from a big deal so I'm not spoilering it) a bishoujo game-within-a-bishoujo game, which I have a good deal of fondness for, and it would make me sad to imagine nobody but me and ittaku ever reading it.

Just finished reading it.
What can i say? Good VN. Not masterpiece, not legend (sorry, Ittaku) of course... but quite well.
I think it's good "time killer" VN, if you not needed serious things, but also if you don't want amebic-like VNs.
Good graphics, "okay" music, girls for every taste... :sachi:
But there's one claim that i have - route length scatter. Yuuki route was so short, and Sasara's route looks really longer in comparison with rest.

My personal rating: 7.7/10

My personal top:
routes:
1.Ruuko
2.Sasara
3.Yuma, Twins
4.Tamaki
5.Manaka
6.Yuuki
7.Konomi
8.Karin

girls:
1.Tamaki
2.Ruuko
3.Sasara, Twins
4.Karin, Yuuki
5.Manaka
6.Yuma, Konomi

23 minutes ago, JohnRozinton said:

Just finished reading it.
What can i say? Good VN. Not masterpiece, not legend (sorry, Ittaku) of course... but quite well.
I think it's good "time killer" VN, if you not needed serious things, but also if you don't want amebic-like VNs.
Good graphics, "okay" music, girls for every taste... :sachi:
But there's one claim that i have - route length scatter. Yuuki route was so short, and Sasara's route looks really longer in comparison with rest.

My personal rating: 7.7/10

My personal top:
routes:
1.Ruuko

girls:
1.Tamaki
2.Ruuko

The reason I keep talking about this game as a legend is because it is actually a lot older than most games that have done similar things / characters / stories and inspired so many other games, anime and spinoffs. It was only recently playing My Girlfriend is the President, for example, and in it the hero and main heroine talk about playing "True Heart 2" clearly paying homage to it. You'll find reference to this game in other works much more now that you've played it. 7.7 is a pretty good rating though, and good to see Ruuko had a special place for you too ;)

Most of the routes are almost exactly the same length in text by the way, only Yuuki's route is a short one. Sasara's route feels long probably because (at least in my opinion) it's too long.

1 hour ago, JohnRozinton said:

My personal top:
routes:
1.Ruuko
2.Sasara
3.Yuma, Twins
4.Tamaki
5.Manaka
6.Yuuki
7.Konomi
8.Karin

Funny, it's like my top but vise versa(Replace Ruu with Konomi and here it is).

My guess you like drama, huh?

Anyway, I like Karin for her 1:1 club romance, because it is rare nowadays in Vns(club always appears with many people within it...). Only for her route I keep that VN on my HDD.

Sasara was also in same setting, but that ending, oh god...

Too bad that best route as Ikuno, and best girl Chie remains untranslated. I think AnotherDays overall is more interesting then main game.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

I just finished (maybe) the sasara's route...but I think I've got the Bad Ending.
I'll summarize it as a spoiler:

Spoiler

After all of the mess, she leaves. She goes to New York and the main character says, pathetically, that he'll go and see her...maybe. 

Is this the bad ending? I hope so, though....since this would be the WORST "good" ending ever.

1 hour ago, MarcomiX said:

I just finished (maybe) the sasara's route...but I think I've got the Bad Ending.
I'll summarize it as a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

After all of the mess, she leaves. She goes to New York and the main character says, pathetically, that he'll go and see her...maybe. 

Is this the bad ending? I hope so, though....since this would be the WORST "good" ending ever.

Indeed it is the WORST epilogue in the game by far. I'm afraid that's the good ending. I found Sasara's route the most troublesome by far, and that epilogue did not help. After a whirlwind really uplifting end in her route before the closing credits, they go and pull that shit in the epilogue. If I could I would advise people to just read up to the closing credits and end there instead, but of course no one could stop without reading the epilogue.

Spoiler

Indeed it makes complete sense and is the logical progression of the story but it's such a shit point to end the route on.  If I were writing it, I would have only paid some reference to this moment but then ended it with them meeting again happily in New York or when she finally returned to Japan.

Remember that Sasara's route was an add on to the original To Heart 2 game and in my opinion that really shows with the emphasis on completely different story points in all the wrong ways compared to the other routes. The fact it was written by the same writer who did Ruuko's route makes it all the more baffling in its execution since they're almost the exact opposite stories... perhaps that was the point?

not sure why is that picture is spoiler....

finished the game. worth waiting for the english patch. ty ittaku and his team \o/. 1 h-scenes per route and its on the end is pure satisfation. eXcept for the

Spoiler

twins route. 4some scenes isnt enough on 1 single h-scene IMO.

ill save this vn to replay the whole "dont think you win scenes" "the tongue twister scenes" and the scene before the h-scenes and some scenes. This vn has the most replayability for me and that is only my own opinion.

8 hours ago, ittaku said:

Indeed it makes complete sense and is the logical progression of the story

You sure?

Spoiler

The mother wanted to go to the US to separate Sasara from her father, that was moving near them. When Sasara and the main character met her parents near the school, at night, the mother said that she won't go to the US anymore. Moreover, Sasara doesn't want to be separated from the main character (she said that clearly). During the roof scene, the one in which Sasara and the Main character jumped off the roof, Sasara's mother and father seems to get together again (she calls him "anatta", "dear").

Then, after all the things they went through, SASARA HERSELF wants to depart from the main character. Her mother goes to the US before her. Nobody knows if the father follows her or not. All the previous part was USELESS, a mere excuse to show a damn H-scene.

Now, I've got 2 interpretations for this ending:
-Sasara's feelings towards the main character were not genuine enough. She  doesn't "love" him anymore and chooses to go abroad, leaving him.
-Sasara just used the main character as an excuse to rebel against her parents.

I don't know about you, but I don't see any logical sense to this ending.

Spoiler

Leaving the story at the pre-credit scene won't make any sense either...it would have been too "uncomplete".
If I were to write the ending of the story, I would keep the things simple: after they got caught up on the Island, they returned home. Sasara, still unwilling to come back to her mother's house, keeps living with the main characher. After the graduation, the main character would make his marriage proposal to her. She would accept it (the Sarasa's way: crying and asking herself if she would be a good wife).

Simple is best. if they call it a GOOD or HAPPY ending, it MUST BE GOOD OR HAPPY.

Edited by MarcomiX