Doki-Doki Literature Club is a Unique Experience

Shikomizue

1 minute ago, Akshay said:

That feeling when you just finish something you found to be good, and you wanna make everyone play it too so you can talk about how much you liked it?

Got it.

Seems this little novel is conquering Steam, not exactly PUBG, but the devs should be getting a lot of attention.

31 minutes ago, Zidan209 said:

Wait the walkthroughs are fake? Glad that i didn't try to get any other ending

I should put that in a spoiler tag. Others should suffer just as I have.

When you say ending, you mean the one? (after your playthroughs) [basically, have you seen the credits roll]

Edited by Akshay

7 minutes ago, Akshay said:

I should put that in a spoiler tag. Others should suffer just as I have.

When you say ending, you mean the one? (after your playthroughs) [basically, have you seen the credits roll]

Spoiler

Just Monika. And i had a hard time deleting her.

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

Played this game purely based on your recommendation. Finally got to the final final end. (which required a surprising amount of things to be done).

Mind = Blown.

I have been staring at a wall for the past hour. 

Thanks!

Woah, this place got busy again.

Good, glad you enjoyed it! That's exactly how I felt at the end of it too. I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep with so much going on in my head.

6 minutes ago, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

Just Monika. And i had a hard time deleting her.

Spoiler

If you've seen the credits, and her song, then you're done. If you replay the whole game, saving and gettin every CG, then the ending changes slightly in the fact that the letter at the end is from the game director, not monica.

3 minutes ago, Akshay said:
  Hide contents

If you've seen the credits, and her song, then you're done. If you replay the whole game, saving and gettin every CG, then the ending changes slightly in the fact that the letter at the end is from the game director, not monica.

Yeah, i've seen that. I've also found out that the whole thing is full of easter eggs and there seem to still be more of them to uncover

On 10/24/2017 at 7:00 AM, Zidan209 said:

Yeah, i've seen that. I've also found out that the whole thing is full of easter eggs and there seem to still be more of them to uncover

When u reach the end with Monika where she talks to you alone, if u dont immediately delete her she talks around 30 minutes about random shit, i didnt have the paitence to go through it all though 

Damn, that was a weird ride.

I actually liked Yuri and Natsuki enough I kind of wish they had real routes, though.  I would have liked there to be something you could do with deleting the character files besides just that one point.  You do get a nice easter egg if you start the game over and delete Monica from the files, but it ends immediately.  If you delete Natsuki and Yuri, the game automatically recreates them when they first appear. And if you load a save after the very beginning, having deleted Monica, the file just gets recreated.

The story so far:

I played Natsuki route first, to finish it early too, because tsunderes get on my nerves. There was a pretty heavy foreshadowing that Sayori was gonna commit suicide. I soldiered on and chose Natsuki, then Sayori hanged herself. Okay. Then in that same scene my game was torn apart, it threw an exception, is this a bug or is it part of the gameplay?

Who said this was never done? In this case, we have seen suicide in VNs... only not on-screen. That's the disturbing thing. What about the heart-rending bad end in Ef. Or the suicide that kept happening in EVERY FRIGGING ROUTE in Shira Oka: Second Chances.

Edited by Okarin

2 hours ago, Okarin said:

The story so far:

Hide contents

I played Natsuki route first, to finish it early too, because tsunderes get on my nerves. There was a pretty heavy foreshadowing that Sayori was gonna commit suicide. I soldiered on and chose Natsuki, then Sayori hanged herself. Okay. Then in that same scene my game was torn apart, it threw an exception, is this a bug or is it part of the gameplay?

Who said this was never done? In this case, we have seen suicide in VNs... only not on-screen. That's the disturbing thing. What about the heart-rending bad end in Ef. Or the suicide that kept happening in EVERY FRIGGING ROUTE in Shira Oka: Second Chances.

Part of game play. Did you start a new game?

”this isn't a game where I can reset and try something else."

Edited by Beichuuka

2 hours ago, Okarin said:

The story so far:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Part of the game. Keep going. TIll the end credits roll. Just remember there is more. You think you know..

but you dont. dont think of it as in routes

Pick whoever you like. Follow the instructions. Get frustrated. THings will happen.....

Question: Is it your second play through?

13 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Damn, that was a weird ride.

Hide contents

I actually liked Yuri and Natsuki enough I kind of wish they had real routes, though.  I would have liked there to be something you could do with deleting the character files besides just that one point.  You do get a nice easter egg if you start the game over and delete Monica from the files, but it ends immediately.  If you delete Natsuki and Yuri, the game automatically recreates them when they first appear. And if you load a save after the very beginning, having deleted Monica, the file just gets recreated.

Spoiler

There is a small easter egg where you delete all the character files before you start the game the first time, but that's about it.

It was impossible to keep the surprise factor as late in the line as I played it, but it was still a great experience. Maybe better this way, because I didn't get depressed knowing to some extent what's waiting for me (and I'm quite prone to that). If there was more variation with choices or bit more depth in the meta-narrative, it could've been a masterpiece, but it's still very notable.

Also the business model is pretty admirable, with the whole game being free and that "donate to us" DLC. I'm really, really happy that it was able to get this much attention and probably a very decent amount of money, it really shown the good side if VNs to a lot of people on Steam and hopefully will encourage other ambitious projects.

Now want the author to make a straight up romance VNs with the same characters, I will pay money to see them all get a happy ending. Those girls deserved better, even the evil one. :D

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Started it and reached the first ending.

Spoiler

I never thought this game would actually be this depressive.

BTW, I'm not sure how much it affects anything, but I was deliberately choosing the most cowardly and stupid choices. I didn't want to prioritize any of the girls for the first playthrough, but apparently I got more points with Sayori.

Edited by Dreamysyu

The outcome is always the same since:

Spoiler

Even in the good end route, Sayori will have to kill herself for you to unlock the Second Phase.

But the ending changes depending on the CGS you got.

8 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

The outcome is always the same

Yeah, I had that suspicion. But I am not reading the spoiler before I finish the game.

Edit. And this the case where I'd rather go in completely blind and explore different choices myself rather than using a walkthrough.

Edited by Dreamysyu