Doki-Doki Literature Club is a Unique Experience

Shikomizue

3 minutes ago, Beichuuka said:
  Hide contents

Who you choose during the first play-through doesn't have much effect on the story. They all end the same way, and whether or not you do each path is technically inconsequential
(though you will unlock a "thank you for playing!" note if you go back to an earlier save and make sure you see all CGs before moving on to the next part).
If you've completely finished your first play-through, the next step should be fairly obvious.

So let me see if I got it. Yuri is going to end in a bad ending of sorts. Then, I will have to restart the game to do the other heroines, but only if I want to - since they all will end in the same bad ending - probably related to Monika. Then, after the three of them, I'll need to go to the last playthrough, which will be the true route and finish with the credits?

@Silvz

I'm not quite sure which play-through you're on.

First play through. Depending on who you romance and certain choices, the path will be slightly different, but these will all end the same way.
You need to get all CGs to unlock a thank-you note, but is inconsequential to the story. I believe there are 8 CGs in all in this part, 2 later on.
I'm not quite sure but I believe they start deleting your save files at some point, so if you wish to collect the CGs make sure to do so early on.

Second playthrough. From here on the novel almost entirely kinetic. There's only one path, so just so go with the flow.
You will have to do a little bit of tinkering to get past certain points of the game, though.

Edited by Beichuuka

5 minutes ago, Beichuuka said:

@Silvz

Hide contents

I'm not quite sure which play-through you're on.

First play through. Depending on who you romance and certain choices, the path will be slightly different, but these will all end the same way.
You need to get all CGs to unlock a thank-you note, but is inconsequential to the story.
I'm not quite sure but I believe they start deleting your save files at some point, so if you wish to collect the CGs make sure to do so early on.

Second playthrough. From here on the novel almost entirely kinetic. There's only one path, so just so go with the flow.

So, by second playthrough you mean when the game forces you to restart?

I just got to a scene where Yuki killed herself after confessing, while Sayori is dead for some time already - before the game crashing. If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm already on the second part of the game, and in all scenarios this situation would happen

Edited by Silvz

7 minutes ago, Silvz said:

So, by second playthrough you mean when the game forces you to restart?

Hide contents

I just got to a scene where Yuki killed herself after confessing, while Sayori is dead for some time already - before the game crashing. If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm already on the second part of the game, and in all scenarios this situation would happen

Yes, that would be the second part.

You will have to get rid of Yuri somehow to move on.

As for crushing, I'm not sure that's supposed to happen.
It was an endless loop for me.

To be clearer

First -> Sayori dies.
Second -> Yuri endless loop
Third -> ???

Edited by Beichuuka

Spoiler

This is pretty funny actually. i was going into this game totally blind, and i wanted to go for Monika. That's what i did. I did not lose my hope after Sayori got deleted. I kept doing everthing for Monika, all the time. It took me to "start" the game 3 times, while doing nothing with the files. When Yuri kills herself, Monika should be waiting for you to try to load a save file, and after doing that, the loop ends, and then you go on, i don't wanna say more, as it would spoil it, but i eneded up probably om Monika's route, which was my goal from the very start. Idk if you get it naturally, or there are some flags that trigger it along the game, but seems like i stayed true to my feelings and got rid of all other girls to achieve Monika's ending. Which i don't really know if is just a bonus one that i somehow got without manipulating with the files or is the True ending. But I have a pretty mixed feelings about it, as i'm no able to do any other route now, but i came to like Monika so much that i can't bring myself to delete her or reset the whole game just for some other cliched girls.

I'd pretty much like to know if there is anyone else who reached this ending, and possibly tell me which one is that

@Beichuuka

Spoiler

Third: Go load a save file. After that, Natsuki and Monika will come into the room, and the story will keep going. Monika should ask you if you were waiting the whole weekend in the classroom

Edited by Zidan209

1 minute ago, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

This is pretty funny actually. i was going into this game totally blind, and i wanted to go for Monika. That's what i did. I did not lose my hope after Sayori got deleted. I kept doing everthing for Monika, all the time. It took me to "start" the game 3 times, while doing nothing with the files. When Yuri kills herself, Monika should be waiting for you to try to load a save file, and after doing that, the loop ends, and then you go on, i don't wanna say more, as it would spoil it, but i eneded up probably om Monika's route, which was my goal from the very start. Idk if you get it naturally, or there are some flags that trigger it along the game, but seems like i stayed true to my feelings and got rid of all other girls to achieve Monika's ending. Which i don't really know if is just a bonus one that i somehow got without manipulating with the files or is the True ending. But I have a pretty mixed feelings about it, as i'm no able to do any other route now, but i came to like Monika so much that i can't bring myself to delete her or reset the whole game just for some other cliched girls.

I'd pretty much like to know if there is anyone else who reached this ending, and possible tell me which one is that

Spoiler

That's the only ending really, there is a "good ending" that you can get, but it doesn't change too much, still worth it though. Actually, you aren't done yet, you have to delete her character file to continue to the credits.

1 minute ago, Shikomizue said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's the only ending really, there is a "good ending" that you can get, but it doesn't change too much, still worth it though. Actually, you aren't done yet, you have to delete her character file to continue to the credits.

Spoiler

So when i am forever with her in the classroom and i delete her file, i get credits? But i really don't wanna do that, it would mean going against my feelings and making all the sacrifices useless :(

Just now, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

So when i am forever with her in the classroom and i delete her file, i get credits? But i really don't wanna do that, it would mean going against my feelings and making all the sacrifices useless :(

Spoiler

Then simply don't. You don't have to finish it, you could just leave it at that, but you wouldn't get the full experience, or be able to get the other ending text.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 11:27 PM, Shikomizue said:

So, I played and finished the game this morning with a buddy of mine, and hoooooooo boy, there's a lot to talk about.

If you aren't familiar with the game, it just released on Steam on Oct. 6, 2 days before this post. Here's the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

So at first glance, it looks pretty moe, right? Then you see the warning: "This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed."
Now, what could that mean? Such a cutesy, moe, romance visual novel has such a dark warning. This game is very different from what you'd expect, and it's such a unique experience. I'd recommend you definitely play it when you have the time, it's free after all.

Now, to those of you who have played this game already, here's a thread for discussion if you'd like to discuss things. This is mostly just to notify people about the game, but discussion is welcome.

Played this game purely based on your recommendation. Finally got to the final final end. (which required a surprising amount of things to be done).

Mind = Blown.

I have been staring at a wall for the past hour. 

Thanks!

On 10/12/2017 at 1:05 AM, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

I'd pretty much like to know if there is anyone else who reached this ending, and possibly tell me which one is that

Spoiler

There is only one ending, which you get after the third playthrough. It doesn't matter who you pick....

And then the game is destroyed BOOM!

Just now, Beichuuka said:

Hide contents

You can delete firstrun in the game folder, and starting the game again will return to fresh install

Spoiler

So i just finished everything, 3 runs got monica end then her song. MY GOD. Is there anything more?

Any other kind of ending or is it done. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, but I'm still kind of in shock. 

This game combined the kind of horror you get from the shock factor, and the cold chills that run up your spine.

I don't know, I last read Love at first sight, everyone praises it. I found it just... normal... "futsuu" in Morishita-parlance (TM). Everything that deviates from the common moege is good (and still some moege don't hurt from time to time), but enough to warrant a read? I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Akshay said:
  Hide contents

So i just finished everything, 3 runs got monica end then her song. MY GOD. Is there anything more?

Any other kind of ending or is it done. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, but I'm still kind of in shock. 

This game combined the kind of horror you get from the shock factor, and the cold chills that run up your spine.

Sadly, I don't think so. There was a rumor of a Monika happy end, but that one turned out to be a hoax.

I think at this point people have already scoured the code itself to the point that anything new being discovered is unlikely.

Edited by Beichuuka

6 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I don't know, I last read Love at first sight, everyone praises it. I found it just... normal... "futsuu" in Morishita-parlance (TM). Everything that deviates from the common moege is good (and still some moege don't hurt from time to time), but enough to warrant a read? I don't know.

You don't understand. This is not a moege. 

It is just different. Don't look at any spoilers and just go in blind.

You can play the first 2hrs pretty casually, and then binge the rest. You should be done with everything in 4 hours, a relatively tiny time-investment for a VN. 

This VN plays with your mind. In the most literal way possible. 

This game should be played without a walkthrough. 

Not that a walkthrough would help.....

But seriously, it is probably in the top 3 most unique experiences I will ever have on a computer.

Completely and absolutely worth anyone's time.

The Doki-Doki is not a reference to it being a casual moege, but to the fact that your heart will in fact stop beating multiple times while playing.

11 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I mean, you don't really have to read it to get the experience. It's free. It's short. Try skipping through it if nothing else.

Just now, Beichuuka said:

I mean, you don't really have to read it to get the experience. It's free. It's short. Try skipping through it if nothing else.

seriously don't think you should skip through. Either experience it properly...

or dont.

I mean the whole atmosphere will kinda get ruined if you do skip through

@Akshay I know it's no moege, it just poses like one, then hits hard with a twist, like thrillers do. That much I got.

@Beichuuka No, I either wanna read it or not, no middle ground.

At the very least, it shouldn't be plain... and that has its merit.

Edited by Okarin

4 minutes ago, Okarin said:

@Akshay I know it's no moege, it just poses like one, then hits hard with a twist, like thrillers do. That much I got.

Again, it's not just a twist. It' something more. Different. You may think death, despair, sickness emotional thrills, and while those exist to some extent in several VN's, that is not what makes this special. Unique is the right word for it. As in no one else has ever done it.

Things are not what they seem.

Nothing is true but everything is permitted. (couldn't resist) 

Understand that i literally cannot tell you anything without venturing into the jungle known as spoilers. 

The first two hours are hard to read, but then it will take you on a ride different from any other. And you will look back and find be happy that you read it. Know that the writing is bland by intention. 

Edited by Akshay

2 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Hype is bad, but hyping over a free game... it's okay.

That feeling when you just finish something you found to be good, and you wanna make everyone play it too so you can talk about how much you liked it?

Edit:

Again, with a decent reading speed, your total play time wont cross 4 hours, so it's not a major time investment. And even if for some reason you don't love it, it is still an experience worth having.

Edited by Akshay