Doki-Doki Literature Club is a Unique Experience

Shikomizue

So, I played and finished the game this morning with a buddy of mine, and hoooooooo boy, there's a lot to talk about.

If you aren't familiar with the game, it just released on Steam on Oct. 6, 2 days before this post. Here's the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

So at first glance, it looks pretty moe, right? Then you see the warning: "This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed."
Now, what could that mean? Such a cutesy, moe, romance visual novel has such a dark warning. This game is very different from what you'd expect, and it's such a unique experience. I'd recommend you definitely play it when you have the time, it's free after all.

Now, to those of you who have played this game already, here's a thread for discussion if you'd like to discuss things. This is mostly just to notify people about the game, but discussion is welcome.

Edited by Shikomizue
Technicalities

15 minutes ago, Shikomizue said:

Very much so, like, it's mind-blowing. The twist is so... everything is just... I can't even tell you anything because it'll spoil it too much. Just trust that it's good, very good.

Huh. You got me intrigued. I guess, I'll give it a try at some point.

Edited by Dreamysyu
English

I'm enjoying it a lot. Still on my third poem and on Yuri's path (I think). I agree with the people above, it is not the best writing in VNs, but it is still pretty good, and the outstanding art gets my attention more than the text.

And I laugh every time Monika makes a 4th-wall-breaking joke.

13 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I'm enjoying it a lot. Still on my third poem and on Yuri's path (I think). I agree with the people above, it is not the best writing in VNs, but it is still pretty good, and the outstanding art gets my attention more than the text.

And I laugh every time Monika makes a 4th-wall-breaking joke.

You have yet to see the greatest part of all, I pity you for what's to come.

8 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

And today marks the day I sold my soul for a cupcake.

That was my favorite line too.

1 minute ago, Shikomizue said:

You have yet to see the greatest part of all, I pity you for what's to come.

That was my favorite line too.

Do we have one twist/drama to each heroine? Based on my poems, it seemed that at least Yuri and the childhood friend will have very serious problems.

1 minute ago, Zakamutt said:

>unique
overselling tbh but ok unusual

with that said, it does what it does quite well and p entertainingly, solid 7.7/10, agree with recommendation

I quite possibly might've, yes. It was a very interesting experience, one I hadn't had before.

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Hmm, I'll just make a guess that the huge twist is the heroines being screwed up and victimized in some way or another for cheap emotional kicks.

Well, you do have to victimize a few girls along the way, I guess......?
It's free anyway, so just try skipping through it once, if nothing else.

Edited by Beichuuka

Unvoiced overrated EVN ... Read it like for two or perhaps three hours and then just started skipping till the end ... The twist might be interesting to some people, and yeah, maybe you could say it's a unique VN. Yeah, it's better than your daily Sakura -insert random noun here- but at the end I could only say it's just a decent EVN. There was some effort invested into it but the poor side effects, unvoiced, mediocre art, uninspiring BGM, all of it makes the final twist not so impactful as I'd want it to be. I heard that there's a JP VN with the same twist and that's the one I'd like to read more than this "EVN kamige".

52 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Unvoiced overrated EVN ... Read it like for two or perhaps three hours and then just started skipping till the end ... The twist might be interesting to some people, and yeah, maybe you could say it's a unique VN. Yeah, it's better than your daily Sakura -insert random noun here- but at the end I could only say it's just a decent EVN. There was some effort invested into it but the poor side effects, unvoiced, mediocre art, uninspiring BGM, all of it makes the final twist not so impactful as I'd want it to be. I heard that there's a JP VN with the same twist and that's the one I'd like to read more than this "EVN kamige".

You could argue that the poor effects added to the atmosphere of, "something is definitely off here," because they're so rudimentary. It being unvoiced, the art being mediocre and the BGM being uninspiring are all subjective, I feel that they were made to somewhat resemble what the average VN has, in order to impact the player more when the twist happens. It's also free and way more accessible for people who don't know how to read or speak Japanese. All things considered, it's definitely not a kamige, but it's way better than most. At least better than just decent.

Not everybody will ever agree with anything, and I respect this a lot. I just wanted to know why you think the art is only mediocre, since for me it looked like a regular japanese company would do- if not better. And you have to consider it is free, all of this was done without profiting in mind. And it seems like they only had three people in the staff.

Actually, considering that alone, I believe the end result is way more that one should expect.

I have not even come close to finishing Yuri's route, but for  you who finished the game, I highly suggest you to read Fuwa's review on the novel, here: https://fuwanovel.net/reviews/2017/10/06/doki-doki-literature-club/ and talk about it :D

Edited by Silvz

@Shikomizue, I assume you've reached the true ending, correct? Can you guide me just a little?

I'm reading Yuri's route and the twist has already happened, so I wonder if all three girls will have the same situation happening to them and, because of that, I only really need to read one route OR if all three routes are different and needed in order to understand the story.

If it is the latter, am I missing too much for going with Yuri before Sayori? Can I go with her after?

Who you choose during the first play-through doesn't have much effect on the story. They all end the same way, and whether or not you do each path is technically inconsequential
(though you will unlock a "thank you for playing!" note if you go back to an earlier save and make sure you see all CGs before moving on to the next part).
If you've completely finished your first play-through, the next step should be fairly obvious.

Edited by Beichuuka