Enemy Heroine and Protaganist Romance

FinalCloud

Hi, I am looking for a romance VN (or atleast VN with romance as a key element) to add to my play list where the male protaganist is enemies (in some way or another) with the female heroine/s for a period of the game. But they grow to like eachother. Note: NOT with a r$pist (or nasty/unpleasant) protaganist, dont want any of that stuff, I am sure there are plenty of those where the girl hates him cos he kidnapped her but then she decides she loves him etcetc.. Not what I am looking for!

I do not know any VNs like this myself or if there is a VNDB tag for this, but I know a few anime examples;

Esdeath and MC in Akame Ga Kill (altho ideally romantic, and not just bizarre like that one is =P)

Or Vorn and Elen in Lord Marksman and Vanadis

I would quite like it to be a serious type of enemies such as the above. However I am cool with not so serious (e.g. hate each other at school, rival clubs or whatever)

Edit: Oh forgot to say, English translated please!

Edited by FinalCloud

Yea I know, I usually put that tag in there, point I was making really is not many Mayadere Heroine games translated! I might do, but in my experience reading with VNR is not a fun experience!

I am surprised, thought this might be quite a popular scenario =D

Edited by FinalCloud

2 hours ago, FinalCloud said:

Hi, I am looking for a romance VN (or atleast VN with romance as a key element) to add to my play list where the male protaganist is enemies (in some way or another) with the female heroine/s for a period of the game. But they grow to like eachother. Note: NOT with a r$pist (or nasty/unpleasant) protaganist, dont want any of that stuff, I am sure there are plenty of those where the girl hates him cos he kidnapped her but then she decides she loves him etcetc.. Not what I am looking for!

I do not know any VNs like this myself or if there is a VNDB tag for this, but I know a few anime examples;

Esdeath and MC in Akame Ga Kill (altho ideally romantic, and not just bizarre like that one is =P)

Or Vorn and Elen in Lord Marksman and Vanadis

I would quite like it to be a serious type of enemies such as the above. However I am cool with not so serious (e.g. hate each other at school, rival clubs or whatever)

Edit: Oh forgot to say, English translated please!

Sorry to say but the moment you said 'English Translated' you pretty much eliminated all the candidates.  It would be different if the translation of the original Shugotate had been completed (the true heroine is an enemy), but that project failed years ago.  (  https://vndb.org/v370 ).  The path you want isn't translated, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Clephas said:

Sorry to say but the moment you said 'English Translated' you pretty much eliminated all the candidates.  It would be different if the translation of the original Shugotate had been completed (the true heroine is an enemy), but that project failed years ago.  (  https://vndb.org/v370 ).  The path you want isn't translated, unfortunately.

Isn't Dies Irae fit this category ?There is Ren and Kei.

Edit: Nevermind, he said romance is the key element. That is certainly not Dies Irae. 

Edited by Ashley Horizon

2 minutes ago, Ashley Horizon said:

Isn't Dies Irae fit this category ?There is Ren and Kei.

Edit: Nevermind, he said romance is the key element. That is certainly not Dies Irae. 

lol... there is nothing romantic about that relationship.  It is almost comedic how lacking in romance that relationship is until the run to the ending, lol.

Every VN with a tsundere heroine! :P

Okay, seriously...

Otoboku would fit the bill for a romance title. The (trap) protagonist is a thorn in the eye of the school council president Takako.

And there's Ikusa Megami Zero with the queen of villainous heroines: Haishera. Though it's a gameplay title and the translation is probably not the best.

Furthermore, there's ChuSingura with the vice queen of villainous heroines: Ichigaku. And more enemy heroines... 

And not to forget Koihime Musou where serveral heroines are initially enemies .

There are certainly more, but those came to mind.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Hey thanks for the suggestions!

Ikusa Megami Zero sounds ok, but it appears to be Interface Only that is in English.

Actually was gonna watch the anime of Otoboku, but didnt. It looks like it is basically a Yuri tho lol.

ChuSingura looks good! Altho it looks like the character you mention is not a main character, does she have some kind of side route. or is it some kind of main theme throughout that she likes the MC but is secretly evil?

3 hours ago, FinalCloud said:

Ikusa Megami Zero sounds ok, but it appears to be Interface Only that is in English.

Nope, there's a fan translation from nekoHen. Though Ikusa Megami has some rather nasty elements - mainly in chapter 3 where the protagonist turns evil for a limited time. So I'm not sure if it's really a VN you'd like. It was certainly at my limit, although that doesn't tell much, since I usually prefer tamer stuff.

Actually was gonna watch the anime of Otoboku, but didnt. It looks like it is basically a Yuri tho lol.

Yeah, that feeling is hard to avoid with a trap protagonist in an all girls school. lol

ChuSingura looks good! Altho it looks like the character you mention is not a main character, does she have some kind of side route. or is it some kind of main theme throughout that she likes the MC but is secretly evil?

She's the main heroine in the fourth chapter. In the other chapters she's usually one of the main villains. I think there's no heroine in Chusingura who's a main character in all chapters, except maybe Kuranosuke. Each chapter is basically a route.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Well I did want to recommend Umineko, but since you said that romance should be the main focus then I'll just change it to rival, and some of then also could be antagonistic to the MC at the beginning. As for the VNs with rival here, for now I could recommend Koiken Otome (Yves's route), Koichoco (Satsuki's route), and Wagahigh (Ashe's route). If you want to wait a while longer, then there's Little Busters (Sasami's route) and Tsujidou (Renna's route) in which both of those were still in Japanese although Little Busters would be released at November later. Hope my recommendations here help.

Nope, there's a fan translation from nekoHen. Though Ikusa Megami has some rather nasty elements - mainly in chapter 3 where the protagonist turns evil for a limited time. So I'm not sure if it's really a VN you'd like. It was certainly at my limit, although that doesn't tell much, since I usually prefer tamer stuff.

If there is plot reason for the hero going bad, and he knows it is bad (and I assume doing sexual stuff), I can probably handle it, it is the VNs which glorify a hero going around r$ping women I do not like. I mean, I would rather play Discipline Record of a Crusade than say, Rance.

Also thanks for the suggestions and info ChaosRaven!

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Well I did want to recommend Umineko, but since you said that romance should be the main focus then I'll just change it to rival, and some of then also could be antagonistic to the MC at the beginning. As for the VNs with rival here, for now I could recommend Koiken Otome (Yves's route), Koichoco (Satsuki's route), and Wagahigh (Ashe's route). If you want to wait a while longer, then there's Little Busters (Sasami's route) and Tsujidou (Renna's route) in which both of those were still in Japanese although Little Busters would be released at November later. Hope my recommendations here help.

Romance doesnt have to be the MAIN focus, but some focus on it atleast.

Koichoco, I have played this (picked it up after watching the anime and raging that it was Chisato route and not Satsuki lol!) and I did enjoy Satsuki's route, although Satsuki seems to like and get on with the MC all the way through, so I dont think I would count it, similar story with Ashe, although a closer call as she does dislike the MC at first (but she does like him by half way or so through the common route).

Koiken Otome, is on my play list already actually, Gotta say I will probably be skipping Yves route, Not a loli fan (does sound like she meets criteria tho, so thanks!) =/. My fault for not specifying that also!

I am actually playing Tsujidou currently, doing Ai's route, I have to say Renna is the only character who I was gonna skip lol! While she is not fully loli, she is just on that borderline of my preference =/, if I really liked her character I would probably try it, but I am not over keen on her =/ (Prefer Ai, Maki and Saeko by far thats for sure!).

19 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Is there a place I can buy Koiken Otome as a download? I can find hard copies on Amazon, but I don't wanna risk it.

Edited by Noumi Kudryavka

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, that feeling is hard to avoid with a trap protagonist in an all girls school. lol

She's the main heroine in the fourth chapter. In the other chapters she's usually one of the main villains. I think there's no heroine in Chusingura who's a main character in all chapters, except maybe Kuranosuke. Each chapter is basically a route.

Sorry to semi-necro this thread. But with what we were saying about Otome wa Boku, the protag is a bit feminine looking and has to dress as a girl to go to school etc. But does he still behave like a guy, and does he dislike having to dress as a girl all the time? Like does he go back to guy mode when he can, or is he pretty much in girl-mode throughout the game? looking at the NSFW pics on vndb he is even in girl mode in h-scenes lol. If he is basically just a girl with a penis and no breasts then meh, I will pass (if that is the case, it confuses me who they try to appeal to with a protaganist like this =D).

Edited by FinalCloud

13 minutes ago, FinalCloud said:

Sorry to semi-necro this thread. But with what we were saying about Otome wa Boku, the protag is a bit feminine looking and has to dress as a girl to go to school etc. But does he still behave like a guy, and does he dislike having to dress as a girl all the time? Like does he go back to guy mode when he can, or is he pretty much in girl-mode throughout the game? looking at the NSFW pics on vndb he is even in girl mode in h-scenes lol. If he is basically just a girl with a penis and no breasts then meh, I will pass (if that is the case, it confuses me who they try to appeal to with a protaganist like this =D).

It's quite some time since I played it, but if I remember right the protagonist is a bit of a sports ace and almost blows his cover at the start because he forgets that he's supposed to be a girl at basketball and in one route he beats a few guys with martial arts. But it's still a more slow paced romance VN, and the protagonist is most of the time more in Onee-San mode. So if you want a real badass, better play Chusingura.

6 minutes ago, FinalCloud said:

Doesnt need to be a badass, just want him to actually be male, dont want a character that is essentially a women in a male body.

Otoboku definitely has some yuri vibes. The protagonist does a good job as a girl (so to say), so he might be a bit too feminine for you. Better choose another VN then.

Hmm, I guess its a tricky one, reason I asked is that I kinda like the sound of Takako's route. I get that the romance is going to be Yuri/ish as, as far as I can tell most of the girls think he is a girl for like half the VN or something.  " The protagonist does a good job as a girl (so to say)":  this is slightly ambiguous and I presume you mean that if you didnt know he was male, you would probably think he was female for most of the game, in which case I would probably pass. I presume I am right in thinking u never see him dressed as a dude in the whole VN? (Except maybe before he goes to the school)

Does he never have thoughts of like "Crap I am fed up of having to wear this damn dress" or something to that affect

Edited by FinalCloud

39 minutes ago, FinalCloud said:

Does he never have thoughts of like "Crap I am fed up of having to wear this damn dress" or something to that affect

He isn't fond of it, but gets used of it. I think a trap protagonist that probably would be more to your liking would be the one from Kira Kira. He's most of the time a guy, and everytime he has to wear trap clothes he's so pissed that you better don't cross his path for the next few hours afterwards lol. But there's no enemy heroine in that VN, so it doesn't fullfill your prime condition.

Yea, KiraKira is a bit different from the sounds of it, I played KiraKira already, enjoyed it -.-. I am not particularly looking for a trap protagonist, just trying to ascertain if Otome would be worth me playing really. In KiraKira the trap didnt really bother me as you saw Maejima in male clothes when he could be, but he had to dress as a girl for the band. Actually I might revisit that game, played it way back in 2009.

Also do you know if Ikusa Megami Verita was ever translated fully?

Edited by FinalCloud

You kind of have that in Ayakashibito with Kaoru, keyword is "kind of" though.

In Princess Evangile there's Ritsuko, though I still need to finish her route then move on to the FD.

In Princess Waltz most of the heroines start out as enemies/rivals of Sorata and Chris.

Ditto for the recently released Eiyuu Senki.

In Chou Dengeki Stryker you kind of have that with Hilko and Clie.

In Utawarerumono Touka is pretty set on killing Hakuoro in the arc that introduces her.

In Funbag/Kyonyuu Fantasy the game's second best heroine Gladys starts out as an enemy for Lute (sort of) and until a certain point in either her route and the canon route his relationship with Isis is pretty antagonistic (on her side). The upcoming sequel has that with both of its new heroines, and should MG localize the rest  of the series each game (aside from the recent entry in Lute's storyline) has a heroine that fits the bill.

Majikoi S kind of has that with Kokoro.

If you don't mind otome games (and have a Vita or PS TV) Norn9 has a role reversal of that with Mikoto's canon love interest Natsuhiko and to some extent with Nanami and Akito.

Hey thanks for the list.

RE Funbag/Kyonyuu it sounds like it may meet the requirement and be ok, but as it is clearly a nukige, does it have a decent plot? And is there actually routes for each heroine with a genuine romantic plot, or is it just a massive haremfest for the MC? (Notice the tag Engages in: Polygamy for the main char) with sex scenes every 5 mins.

Also, Otome is not my thing, I cant really imagine any heterosexual guys would play Otome tbh? That being said, by that logic no heterosexual women would play any of the other VNs u listed, so what do I know lol.

Edited by FinalCloud