Dies Irae 18+ Patch?

Martic

It seems a lot of people around here saw this VN as a letdown but I still want to try it. I have been waiting for the 18+ patch and still haven't heard anything about it, except for a 2017-9 sate that is nearly passed. Hoping someone has miraculously heard news on the status of it that VNDB hasn't gotten wind of yet?

Nothing I've heard of so far... and it isn't that people don't like it.  It is more like everyone nitpicks or has their favorite axe to grind.  Also, over-hyping.  I love Dies Irae... but I never named it my favorite VN.  In Japanese, it was an exhilarating read that stretched my knowledge of grammar and vocab when I originally read it (before the Amantes version came out).  In English... it kind of feels like they tried too hard to keep every aspect of Masada's style when they translated it at times, though it is still a fairly good translation (edit: as translations go, that is).

Anyway, I'm  more or less resigned to waiting until December or later for my physical copy, and the 18+ definitely won't release on time, based on my experiences with vndb dating where there isn't a solid day set.

Edit: I honestly am not in a hurry... but then, I played the ero-version before I played the later, non-ero ones, so I know what to expect.  Light's h-scenes tend to be hit or miss... some are really good, some are funny, and some are outright boring.  Dies Irae's h-scenes tend to be vanilla outside of the fact that it is sex under stress.  The exceptions are Kei's h-scenes, which I thought were hilarious... and Rusalka's, of course.

Edited by Clephas

1 minute ago, Shioxus said:

Ah, so a date was never set in the first place. At least officially? Hmm. Would you say that it is worth reading without the H content and the trimmed CGs? Or should I just read Subahibi and To Heart 2 while I wait?

I would never recommend Subahibi, so you should probably not ask me that particular question...

As for the trimmed CGs... I didn't find any issue with it, because it isn't like they cut out the best part of the CGs or actually weakened the presentation significantly.  People who complained about that aspect really were just nitpicking...  Like most of the best VNs, Dies Irae is a cumulative result of first-class presentation (the triangle of writing, music and voice usage, and effectively-designed artwork), but I didn't really even notice the trimming except when I actually compared the originals and the new ones.  

Also, Dies Irae is unapologetically chuuni... and thus insanely pretentious... probably the only quality it shares with Subahibi is pretentiousness, actually.  If you can't stand that sort of thing, it probably isn't a good choice to play.  It is also a game you will not fully grasp on a first playthrough of all the paths.  I find something new every time I go back to it (once every two years since 2011.)  It would definitely be worth going back to a year or two from now, lol.

You've convinced me. I love pretentiousness (does that make me pretentious as well? Ha!) and I'm sure if I like the story and characters enough I would go back to it later. I'll start playing it tomorrow. I've been itching for a new chuuni (haven't quite started reading Japanese language VNs yet) and 11 Eyes wasn't really doing it for me.

33 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Nothing I've heard of so far... and it isn't that people don't like it.  It is more like everyone nitpicks or has their favorite axe to grind.  Also, over-hyping.  I love Dies Irae... but I never named it my favorite VN.  In Japanese, it was an exhilarating read that stretched my knowledge of grammar and vocab when I originally read it (before the Amantes version came out).  In English... it kind of feels like they tried too hard to keep every aspect of Masada's style when they translated it at times, though it is still a fairly good translation (edit: as translations go, that is).

Anyway, I'm  more or less resigned to waiting until December or later for my physical copy, and the 18+ definitely won't release on time, based on my experiences with vndb dating where there isn't a solid day set.

Edit: I honestly am not in a hurry... but then, I played the ero-version before I played the later, non-ero ones, so I know what to expect.  Light's h-scenes tend to be hit or miss... some are really good, some are funny, and some are outright boring.  Dies Irae's h-scenes tend to be vanilla outside of the fact that it is sex under stress.  The exceptions are Kei's h-scenes, which I thought were hilarious... and Rusalka's, of course.

How many h scene is there?

Just now, ittaku said:

To Heart 2 and Dies Irae couldn't be much different in genre...

Ha, that's true. I just want something good to read that I can get absorbed into. I'm enjoying Subahibi alright, and I've wanted to read ToHeart 2 since I was 13 (10 years ago). I saw the anime trailer on an old OnDemand type service, and when I looked into it I discovered visual novels for the first time. Might not be worth a 10 year wait, but hey, it's about time.

As for Dies Irae, I've hear great things before the translation, and I'm excited to read something in a genre I don't have much experience with.

7 minutes ago, Shioxus said:

Ha, that's true. I just want something good to read that I can get absorbed into. I'm enjoying Subahibi alright, and I've wanted to read ToHeart 2 since I was 13 (10 years ago). I saw the anime trailer on an old OnDemand type service, and when I looked into it I discovered visual novels for the first time. Might not be worth a 10 year wait, but hey, it's about time.

Enjoy. Also you'll notice Clephas skilfully avoided mentioning To Heart 2 in his response. Read into that what you will :yumiko:

I thought that Dies Irae was a pretty enjoyable read. There aren't a lot of visual novels of its kind that's been translated, so it was a refreshing experience. It had pretentious depth to it ^_^, you get the feeling like the writer just got sucked into this world he created. I didn't mind the pretentiousness, its nice to have some variation to stories. Also with all the references to religion, culture and history, its the kind of story that'll promote further reading of the subjects mentioned. 

Oh like clephas mentioned, i think a lot of people just started nitpicking because Dies Irae was so hyped and people were mentioning stuff like "best Vn ever!" etc. Personally I didn't find anything wrong with it, I loved the characters [va's were great!] , the music, the art, the banter, references, relationships, mystery, reveals and well, the whole grandiose play, to put it simply. 

There can never be a perfect story that satisfies everyone that reads it. People will always nickpick and sure they have the right to do so. Personally, in regards to stories, I rather not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the ride. I mean I did choose to get on, and there's ample information about the kind of ride it is :maple:.

This Vn will most likely make you feel and think about all sorts of things. Its a rainbow :)

I read the all ages version and for this particular story I don't think h-scenes were necessary, its all about the dialog and the dialog does a good job of painting a clear picture of the characters relationships. Its definitely worth reading without the h content. I pretty much forgot about the 18+ version shortly after I started reading, the story pulled me in ;).

Cheers!

Edited by DharmaFreedom

I'm still playing Marie's route and am enjoying the game still. I will admit Dies Irae does have some flaws like there are some parts that feel like a slog to read (looking at your start of Kei's route), but it makes up for that on many fronts from good action, character dialogue and voice acting (seriously, the guy who plays Bei should win some kind of voice acting award for portraying such an over the top yet menacing villain).

On a side note:

Spoiler

I can't help but find it funny how after Kasumi's route Rusalka kind of becomes a joke after that. In Kei's route she gets used as Schreiber's murder weapon of choice before getting an off screen death that really deserved a Wilhelm scream, in the third sidestory her opponent is a guy so obsessed with her it even weirds her out and in Marie's route not only is everyone except her is calling her death and her attempt to get help from Schreiber makes for a darkly comical failure. Has me curious what fate awaits her in Rea's route

On 9/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, Shioxus said:

It seems a lot of people around here saw this VN as a letdown but I still want to try it. I have been waiting for the 18+ patch and still haven't heard anything about it, except for a 2017-9 sate that is nearly passed. Hoping someone has miraculously heard news on the status of it that VNDB hasn't gotten wind of yet?

I think I saw the mention of 18+ patch on Dies irae's discord channel but I thought it should have been released by the end of this month? xD Nevertheless, even without H-scenes, Dies irae is one of the most amazing VNs I had read so far and I can understand why many people didn't like it (despite me finding it amazing, I agree with the popular opinion in the community that the villain cast is more interesting than the good guys xD). I'd recommend you play it even if the H-scenes don't come out soon, you can check H-CGs on the net, it's nothing special and some of those even looked too forced in my opinion so you aren't missing that much without seeing them. You'll easily make a deduction on where an H-scene should have popped out, (there's maybe like 13 or so H-scenes in the entirety of Dies irae ... most of the time you'll be enjoying real chuuni plot than H-scenes which mostly look bad, except maybe the ones for Marie).

Since you mentioned SubaHibi in one of the posts later, I'd like to mention that while both Dies irae and SubaHibi were overhyped - only Dies irae felt to me like it delivered on the hype. SubaHibi was very good but not a "kamige"-tier VN in my opinon. Also, you can enjoy Dies irae even if you don't have any background on philosophical stuff, while SubaHibi on the other hand ... Well, you can enjoy it to a certain degree but after that, it gets weaker once it starts revealing its mysteries (I at least found those parts weaker). I guess it's a real "kamige" only if you really understand the philosophical backgrounds behind it. So to wrap up what I wanted to say here ... Dies irae is more likely to be enjoyed than SubaHibi if you don't have any background knowledge on philosophical matters.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 AM, ittaku said:

Enjoy. Also you'll notice Clephas skilfully avoided mentioning To Heart 2 in his response. Read into that what you will :yumiko:

Yeah, I've noticed nobody mentioned that I brought up ToHeart 2.... Hopefully that's just because it's totally different from the other 2? ha...ha... Damnit, I'll read it no matter what!

On 9/28/2017 at 4:00 AM, Infernoplex said:

I think I saw the mention of 18+ patch on Dies irae's discord channel but I thought it should have been released by the end of this month? xD Nevertheless, even without H-scenes, Dies irae is one of the most amazing VNs I had read so far and I can understand why many people didn't like it (despite me finding it amazing, I agree with the popular opinion in the community that the villain cast is more interesting than the good guys xD). I'd recommend you play it even if the H-scenes don't come out soon, you can check H-CGs on the net, it's nothing special and some of those even looked too forced in my opinion so you aren't missing that much without seeing them. You'll easily make a deduction on where an H-scene should have popped out, (there's maybe like 13 or so H-scenes in the entirety of Dies irae ... most of the time you'll be enjoying real chuuni plot than H-scenes which mostly look bad, except maybe the ones for Marie).

Since you mentioned SubaHibi in one of the posts later, I'd like to mention that while both Dies irae and SubaHibi were overhyped - only Dies irae felt to me like it delivered on the hype. SubaHibi was very good but not a "kamige"-tier VN in my opinon. Also, you can enjoy Dies irae even if you don't have any background on philosophical stuff, while SubaHibi on the other hand ... Well, you can enjoy it to a certain degree but after that, it gets weaker once it starts revealing its mysteries (I at least found those parts weaker). I guess it's a real "kamige" only if you really understand the philosophical backgrounds behind it. So to wrap up what I wanted to say here ... Dies irae is more likely to be enjoyed than SubaHibi if you don't have any background knowledge on philosophical matters.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm already a little lost on Subahibi, it makes me feel like an idiot.

At the end of Wonderful Everyday when they get on that train, a lot of what they were saying sounded like nonsense, but especially that guy who ended up being her favorite book. That part was weird...

Edited by Shioxus

• 2 months later...

The patch for this game has finally released and is a pain to install by requiring the game to be played in Japanese Locale. To top this all off Mangagamer is currently offering the game for 33.00 for both games in one (DX version or something...think it's simply both games in one and you can pick which game but who knows). Why they couldn't do that for the backers version is beyond me. Quite disappointed in the way this has all worked out. Backers are supposed to more often than not receive the better deal but it seems anyone who has waited is definitely getting the best digital deal out of anyone. 

NSFW Link: Dies Irae Mangagamer

1 hour ago, kyrt said:

The patch for this game has finally released and it not only requires you to get rid of the other version

This isn't right. You can still play the other version. You have 2 .exe files. What you do need to do is play/ skip through 1 route of AA before the Acta .exe will launch, as an anti pirate measure. 

(This can be done quickly using F7, which is "skip to the next choice" in game. Let's you skip a route in about 1 minute.) 

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

This isn't right. You can still play the other version. You have 2 .exe files. What you do need to do is play/ skip through 1 route of AA before the Acta .exe will launch, as an anti pirate measure. 

(This can be done quickly using F7, which is "skip to the next choice" in game. Let's you skip a route in about 1 minute.) 

Oh then I just installed it wrong lol...also as an anti pirate measure that is still stupid as hell.

6 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Oh then I just installed it wrong lol...also as an anti pirate measure that is still stupid as hell.

Yeah, it's really dumb. They made the whole thing overly complicated, and just straight up lied about what the patch would actually be. (We thought we'd be getting AA with 18+ scenes, and simply just got plain old Acta instead. Good job, Light.)