Journey / Travel / Road Movie-type of story

Being

The story and setting can be anything, I'm just looking for a VN where the protagonist isn't bound to one place. Perhaps he's journeying and meeting new people each chapter that he then leaves behind. Perhaps he finds comrades along the way. These kinds of stories aren't rare but I haven't found any VNs really like this yet. I can understand that it requires more backgrounds than usual though.

Hmmmmmmm I have some suggestions, but I don't know if they all will fit your requests.

First and more obvious, I'd recommend Go Go Nippon! for fun, which is a free game about an otaku traveling to Japan. It should not be taken seriously, but people seem to enjoy it a lot.

Then, we have Air, by Key.  You've read Clannad, so it will be easy to understand what is happening. The protagonist is not from the city, but ends up staying there because of a girl he meets.

Katawa Shoujo, although not about traveling, is about a boy having to adapt to a school against his will. It is a school for disabled people, and he only goes there because of his heart condition. There is a lot of resistence, so I think it may fit your likes.

If you're into yaoi, there's an adventure VN called Lamento - Beyond the Void, about the protagonist traveling because where he lived is being destroyed by some kind of curse.

Then, we have an OELVN called Enigma, which is INCREDIBLE! I will avoid spoiling you on this one, you really should see it by yourself. This one I think is what you are looking for.

Rose Guns Days may also interest you.

Edited by Silvz

The recently released Dream Daddy have a plot that is somefin like that, thou it's obvious that the focus is on the "moving to other place" aspect, and more on the "Romance Daddies" aspect, Katahane may fit your suit if you're it GL/Shoujo-Ai, since from what I can tell it's about a group of friends on a journey. Silent Hill: Play Novel fits weirdly in a way...

Mugen Renkan probably counts too... but... it is so rape and guro filled that it might be too much.

Edit: Also, I thought I'd answer the question the OP failed to ask when he was mentioning what he wanted...  Most VNs, for better or worse, are romantic stories written with forming a solid relationship within the setting in mind.  VNs with the degree of meeting and parting you seem to want are rare simply because they require the cast to change so often, which is counter to how the Japanese visual novel making scene works, at present.

Edited by Clephas

Thanks all for your suggestions! I'm wishlisting the titles that seemed most relevant. I don't discriminate against english VNs or yuri, or dark material like rape and guro, I'm open for anything. That's just how I roll! I should mention though that I'm not really talking about something where you move to a new place and then stay there for the whole story, I'm looking more for a road-movie type of story.

18 hours ago, Clephas said:

Also, I thought I'd answer the question the OP failed to ask when he was mentioning what he wanted...  Most VNs, for better or worse, are romantic stories written with forming a solid relationship within the setting in mind.  VNs with the degree of meeting and parting you seem to want are rare simply because they require the cast to change so often, which is counter to how the Japanese visual novel making scene works, at present.

I figured as much, of course, but there's always going to be some exceptions and different things out there. When I first got into eroge I really wasn't prepared for the sheer number of them that exists. Besides, characters in these kinds of stories don't always journey alone. Cannonball was kind of an adventure-type of VN where 1 (or 2) central heroines stay with you the whole game. Still, it doesn't have quite the kind of movement I'm specifically looking for here, but it comes closest to what I'm looking for so I guess it serves as a good example. From what I read around on VNDB, rail-softsAlbatross might be something closer, but sadly a SEOP like me can't read it :(

If you don't mind the lack of female characters or romantic plot, 80 Days might interest you.

Then there's always Narcissu, which is about two terminally ill patients who escape from the hospital and go on a roadtrip.

And the fault series of kinetic novels.

Keep an eye out in the future for Sona-Nyl of the Violet Shadows.

17 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

if you dont mind yuri or an oelvn then i suggest corona blossom. its about a young girl going on a road trip in an rv when she comes across a woman on the sid of the road looking for treasure.

After looking it up corona blossoms is about the galaxy, you are talking about highway blossoms

On 9/26/2017 at 5:14 AM, Being said:

Perhaps he's journeying and meeting new people each chapter that he then leaves behind. Perhaps he finds comrades along the way. 

For some reason the first thing that came into my head when I heard this was an anime called mushishi.

The closest thing I can think of with a similar style would be Liar-soft games which are episodic in nature telling interesting stories with new characters, several of which are unique to the chapter. WHile a lot of it occurs in the same place, it is generally large and varied enough that each area feels like a new place.

Their translated games are

Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People-

Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-

Ourai no Gahkthun ~What a Shining Braves~

Gakthun in particular follows a very episodic nature. 

Almost every adventure/gameplay VN like Eiyuu Senki, or Kamidori.

And The House in Fata Morgana (2010) if you really stretch it, because you are not restricted by place or time! 

And Funbag Fantasy....

Edited by Akshay