Newbie to VNs, any suggestions on where to start?

Kaiser

Could I get a few good titles to start with?

VNs I've already gone through are:

- Katawa Shoujo (duh)

- Fate/Staynight

I'm also currently working my way through Grisaia no Kajitsu

I'd hate to admit it, but I'm also a bit sensitive on the on the art style. I couldn't last 5 minutes in Clannad because the character designs were just too unbearable to me. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my personal preference.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time.

Some of my most favorite:

Hoshizora no Memoria - 2009

G-senjou no Maou - 2008

Swan Song - 2005 (The art might be meh to you, but it has one hell of a story/plot.)

Good ones in my opinion:

Katahane - 2006

Cross Channel - 2003 (The art style might turn you away since it is a decade old, but it's a good VN.)

Steins; Gate - 2009 (It's 5pb, so I'm pretty sure that you won't dislike the art style.)

Welcome to the forums, I hope you'll enjoy your time with us here.

If you're not into Clannad designs, I can't really see you liking any Key VNs in terms of art.

So I'll list a few non Key VNs.

- G-Senjou no Maou

- Hoshizora no Memoria

- Sharin no Kuni

- Muv-Luv & Muv-Luv Alternative

- Kono Sora (If My Heart Had Wings)

- Grisaia no Kajitsu

I'm still amazed by how many people get into VNs through Katawa Shoujo. What's so special about Katawa Shoujo that attracts people who otherwise wouldn't bother with VNs? I don't think many people would say it's the best VN in English, nor is the art amazing (though it's serviceable unlike most OELVNs). It doesn't have an existing fanbase outside the VN community like Shuffle! or Fate/Stay Night either.

I'm pretty picky about the art style of VN's as well so don't worry about it.

Some of my favorites-

-Hoshizora no Memoria

-Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete (aka. Konosora)

-Wind -A Breath of Heart-

-Da Capo 1 & 2 (1 has a great story but you can tell it's a little older by the art. 2 is my favorite. Great story and art)

- I know you said you didn't like Clannad but I would recommend Little Busters. It is my favorite VN and you may like the art better in it.

Suggesting new stuff would only be a bother since you're at a complete lost, so I'll try to suggest the minimum possible number and just second what other people said. A few awesome VNs will be left out because you talked about artwork, so no Swan Song or Cross Channel.

Well, I'd go with these:

Steins Gate

Little Busters

Rewrite

Hoshimemo

Kono Oozora

I'm still amazed by how many people get into VNs through Katawa Shoujo. What's so special about Katawa Shoujo that attracts people who otherwise wouldn't bother with VNs?

Developed by 4chan, so it spread like wildfire through *chans and affiliated communities, and channers are good at spamming their shit across internetz.

I myself got interested in KS when thread about its release was posted on my /b/.

So you contend it's mostly social media hype by the Hive Mind? Interesting. If only localization companies could somehow tap into that...

Well, in chans-related internets -- yeah. You cannot replicate this kind of hype, because whole point was "anons created this stuff, which is on par of commercial stuff released in jp", so people got interested in "wtf is this vn thing they made anyway?".

Well, in chans-related internets -- yeah. You cannot replicate this kind of hype, because whole point was "anons created this stuff, which is on par of commercial stuff released in jp", so people got interested in "wtf is this vn thing they made anyway?".

The fact that it had disability as a theme was also a factor in making it stick out, since it caused some controversy.

Also, KS is significantly more west-friendly in that its storylines are at least somewhat refreshing from the usual jp stuff, and there's much less ValuesDissonance in general imo. Also, while it might not be the best VN if you include translated ones, it's quite possibly the best OELVN out there (I haven't read that many, though.).

On topic... if you like depressing stuff, apparently Narcissu is good. Haven't read it myself yet, one day...

I'm still amazed by how many people get into VNs through Katawa Shoujo. What's so special about Katawa Shoujo that attracts people who otherwise wouldn't bother with VNs? I don't think many people would say it's the best VN in English, nor is the art amazing (though it's serviceable unlike most OELVNs). It doesn't have an existing fanbase outside the VN community like Shuffle! or Fate/Stay Night either.

i guess that people like handicap people and getting on bed with them :).

• 2 weeks later...