VN Quotes

shirayuki75

This is a paradox theory that was brought up in a VN i am currently playing, it actually exists in real life (as a theory) and i just found it profound the way they used it in the VN. The way they used the theory and not the theory itself.

"If you keep patching up your favorite sock every time it gets a hole, eventually all the original cloth will be replaced. Can you still say that's your favorite sock after it lost all the original cloth?

And if you apply that theory to us humans, our cells all come from different places, a part of your body can be made out of something you ate. Then can we really say we are who we are?"

Clover (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors)

This is a paradox theory that was brought up in a VN i am currently playing, it actually exists in real life (as a theory) and i just found it profound the way they used it in the VN. The way they used the theory and not the theory itself.

"If you keep patching up your favorite sock every time it gets a hole, eventually all the original cloth will be replaced. Can you still say that's your favorite sock after it lost all the original cloth?

And if you apply that theory to us humans, our cells all come from different places, a part of your body can be made out of something you ate. Then can we really say we are who we are?"

Clover (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors)

I see a person as a personality and memories. Even if a person has a different body, if they have the same exact personality, memories, traits, and habits, I could still see them as that person. Of course, a face really helps identify someone as well.

I see a person as a personality and memories. Even if a person has a different body, if they have the same exact personality, memories, traits, and habits, I could still see them as that person. Of course, a face really helps identify someone as well.

What if you start changing someone's personality and memories? At what point do they become a different person? Are they a different person if they lose/gain a single memory, are they a different person when every memory is replaced, or something in between? ;)

That's a fair argument however it is irrefutable that we humans use faces and physical aspect to identify individuals.

Also you can only truly believe what you see, you have no guarantee it isn't someone else replying correctly to memories only you recall, that knowledge could be transmitted to other person, at that point you can not be sure if they're really the person you think they are or not.

In the same novel there was a theory that humans can transmit thoughts unconsiouscly, though i didn't dig into it so i have no clue if this is fictional or has some foundation in reality. But the point was that we couldn't be sure if our bodies weren't ours and our thoughts could be meddled with, there's no imperative proof and therefore we can not be sure that pretty much anything is really what we see.

That's why it's called a paradox after all, there's no answer to it.

That's a fair argument however it is irrefutable that we humans use faces and physical aspect to identify individuals.

Also you can only truly believe what you see, you have no guarantee it isn't someone else replying correctly to memories only you recall, that knowledge could be transmitted to other person, at that point you can not be sure if they're really the person you think they are or not.

In the same novel there was a theory that humans can transmit thoughts unconsiouscly, though i didn't dig into it so i have no clue if this is fictional or has some foundation in reality. But the point was that we couldn't be sure if our bodies weren't ours and our thoughts could be meddled with, there's no imperative proof and therefore we can not be sure that pretty much anything is really what we see.

That's why it's called a paradox after all, there's no answer to it.

This is where I believe that the phrase "ignorance is bliss" comes into play. If the person truly believes in the fact that they are themselves, or that someone else is who they believe them to be, then there is no harm done.

This is no paradox. I'll crack this up for you.

Let's start with definitions:

Person: A human being regarded as an individual.

Individual:

Single; separate: "individual tiny flowers".

human being: A man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals

by superior mental development, power of articulate.

Meaning, as long as people recognize X as X, it doesn't matter what his body is made of or if he changed completely, but he's still X.

Paradoxes only exist in language. It is impossible for a paradox to exist physically, such as a square circle. They only happen when our definitions for words mix up and we create a concept based upon false "truths".

"But are there really only two paths to a forked path?  No, there are an infinite number of paths we must take.  There is more than one path.  There is more than one path to the future."

- Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

"A path is something you create as you walk it. The ground you've trodden hardens, and that’s what forms your path. You’re the only one who can create your own path. Walk on your own. If you haven’t given up yet, that is."

- Cross Marian (D. Gray-Man)

Yup. Thanks!

Hard work won't betray you. Though at times, it WILL betray your dreams. Working hard doesn't necessarily mean you'll fulfill your dreams. It's actually more common for it not to bear fruit. But just the fact that you did your best can serve as a sort of consolation.

- Hikigaya Hachiman

I hate nice girls. Just exchanging greetings with them will get them on your mind. Start texting each other and your heart will be set a flutter. If they call you, you're done for. Enjoy looking at your logs and grinning like a fool. However, I won't get fooled again. That's what your kind calls kindness. If you're nice to me, you're also nice to others. I always end up nearly forgetting that. Reality is cruel, so I'm sure lies are a form of kindness. Thus I say, kindness itself is also a lie. I always ended up with these expectations, and I always ended up with these misunderstandings. And before I knew it, I stopped hoping. A highly trained loner is once bitten, twice shy. As a veteran on this battlefield of life, I've gotten used to losing.

- Hikigaya Hachiman

"The important thing is to take part." Famous words spoken by Pierre de Fredy, Baron de Coupertin during a speech. However, this quote tends to be frequently misused and serves as a kind of threat to force participation. There are tons of wild-goose chases in this world you know. If the most important thing is to take part, then surely one could find meaning in not taking part as well. And if everything is worth experiencing, then there's little doubt that the feeling of not experiencing something is, in itself, worth experiencing. In fact, you could even call it a valuable experience to not experience something everyone else does.

- Hikigaya Hachiman

Trying to find meaning behind pure coincidences or random events is a bad habit unpopular guys have.

- Hikigaya Hachiman

80% of guys go around thinking, "She likes me, doesn't she?" That's how they live. That's exactly why you need to admonish yourself. You know it's not true.

- Hikigaya Hachiman

In the end, its possible to hurt another even while being considerate of them.

- Naoe Riki, Little Busters VN, Chika Shirokiri

Oh, man. I love all of these. Haha. But no, you're not a masochist! I understand your feelings.

Good god, this thread is still alive and active... lol. I might as well just share the rest of my quotes along with a few new ones I've recently obtains here then. Better to share then keepin' it for myself. XD

"I am who I am now because of everything that’s happened. If I try to deny my past, I’m denying the person I’ve become." 
— Iori Nagase (Kokoro Connect)

"People who can't throw something important away, can never hope to change anything." 
— Armin Arlert (Shingeki no Kyojin)

"Just because you're having fun, doesn't mean your not serious." 
— Konatsu Miyamoto (Tari Tari)

"Never forget that kindness can hurt instead of help." 
— Himeko Inaba (Kokoro Connect)

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistake of others." 
— Shiori Shiomiya [quoting Otto Von Bismarck] (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

"They say those who die, go to heaven. I don’t think so. I think when we die, we go to live on in someone else's heart. We live on in their memories. Just like how our parents stay in our hearts. But with time, memories fade. That's why people wish to leave something behind. They don't want to be forgotten. Nobody wants to be forgotten." 
— Kaito Kirishima (Ano Natsu de Matteru)

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you.
You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." 
— (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica [quoting Bob Marley])

Everybody has really helped me out, and entertained me at the same time. Thanks for contributing once again!

"I have to say that I love this place very, very much. But soon everything changes. Well, at least it does eventually. Fun things...Happy things... They'll all eventually change some day, you know? But can you still love this place?"

- Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)

Crying. 

What if you start changing someone's personality and memories? At what point do they become a different person? Are they a different person if they lose/gain a single memory, are they a different person when every memory is replaced, or something in between? ;)

I don't think that memories define people. As Kamijou Touma says in Index Volume 16, "'Though I can't remember the events from before, even so, it is because of them I'm able to stand here. The 'me' from the past still motivates the 'me' that can't remember anything today. What he left behind isn't in the 'head', but in the 'heart'. So, it doesn't matter if I can't remember, I still understand what I need to do.'" Basically, it's kind of like muscle memory.

This is where I believe that the phrase "ignorance is bliss" comes into play. If the person truly believes in the fact that they are themselves, or that someone else is who they believe them to be, then there is no harm done.

Yeah, I prefer to think practically about things.

Paradoxes only exist in language. It is impossible for a paradox to exist physically, such as a square circle. They only happen when our definitions for words mix up and we create a concept based upon false "truths".

Then what about Schrodinger's cat? Or is that not a physical paradox? 

I don't think that memories define people. As Kamijou Touma says in Index Volume 16, "'Though I can't remember the events from before, even so, it is because of them I'm able to stand here. The 'me' from the past still motivates the 'me' that can't remember anything today. What he left behind isn't in the 'head', but in the 'heart'. So, it doesn't matter if I can't remember, I still understand what I need to do.'" Basically, it's kind of like muscle memory.

Yeah, I prefer to think practically about things.

I was mostly just arguing based on what the other person believed. I honestly don't know what could possibly make a person, well, themselves. If you think it's the person's body, then start replacing body parts with artificial ones. At what point does the person stop being themselves? Or are they still themselves when you copy all their memories into a completely artificial body? Then what happens when you start replacing the memories like I described in the last post? And once all you have left is a new body with totally different memories, can that still be called the same person?

Sorry, I got a bit philosophical there. :P

As for Shroedinger's Cat, I think it's only a paradox from a common sense standpoint. Everything makes perfect sense if you look at it from a quantum mechanics standpoint. At least that's what I've gathered. I'm not a quantum physicist, don't quote me on that.  :D

I wouldn't really call it a paradox. It makes sense, and it's perfectly okay. Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment, and for some reason people tend to describe is as a paradox O.o

Zakamutt, that paradox has the same answer as the one from above. Whether something is or is not the same after change. I answered it already~

^ I just wantsed to give its name.

Anyway, grisaia time!

"We all need our role in the machine. That's a fact everyone has to face eventually. You can't just crawl into a nice dark shoe box, cuddle and air freshener for seventy years, and call it a life. We only take shape in relation to others."

-Yuuji, Grisaia no Kajitsu

I'll note that GnK seems to have had at least three writers or something, so attribution is going to be difficult - not to mention that it's a translation. This is in common route.

The last sentence is originally on a separate line and relatively self-contained. It still seems related, though.

EDIT: Grisaia is ridicuously quotable, so here's another:

"We're always told that "unique" individuals are valued by society for their outside-the-box thinking or whatever. Fact is, though, if you're too different from the rest of the pack, you're just going to get shunned and pushed outside the loop."

Also Yuuji.

Edited by Zakamutt

^ I just wantsed to give its name.

Anyway, grisaia time!

I'll note that GnK seems to have had at least three writers or something, so attribution is going to be difficult - not to mention that it's a translation. This is in common route.

The last sentence is originally on a separate line and relatively self-contained. It still seems related, though.

EDIT: Grisaia is ridicuously quotable, so here's another:

Also Yuuji.

I really like that last one.

A couple more quotes I've found:

"There's no point in having wings if you cannot fly."

- Minagi Toono, Air

"After making one good lie, the next one comes much easier."

- Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite

"Thus, in a sad comment on the casual irresponsibility of modern youth culture, Amane and I made love for no real reason within a day of beginning our relationship."

- Yuuji Kazami, Grisaia no Kajitsu

Not sure how school-appropriate that last one is though. :P

More grisaia. jesus, man. This is from Yumiko's route, so in case that had a specific writer the author might be possible to track down.

No matter how much power you hold, no matter how wise and widely respected you may be, there's one force you're completely powerless to resist.

No one in the world's capable of stopping the flow of time.[...]

However... if you look at the matter from another angle, time's also our supreme problem-solver. The ultimate healer of wounds."

-Kazami Yuuji, Grisaia no Kajitsu

Edited by Zakamutt

A couple more quotes I've found:

- Minagi Toono, Air

"After making one good lie, the next one comes much easier."

- Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite

"Thus, in a sad comment on the casual irresponsibility of modern youth culture, Amane and I made love for no real reason within a day of beginning our relationship."

- Yuuji Kazami, Grisaia no Kajitsu

Not sure how school-appropriate that last one is though. :P

Hmm, I used to have some quotes on Air before my last laptop was trashed. Kind of disappointed that you didn't take the positive spin on that quote. I vaguely remember someone from Air saying that serves as a memory of when you did fly or something along those lines.

Hmm, I used to have some quotes on Air before my last laptop was trashed. Kind of disappointed that you didn't take the positive spin on that quote. I vaguely remember someone from air saying that serves as a memory of when you did fly or something along that lines.

They are completely different quotes though, in terms of meaning. Without the rest it's a very grounding(pun intended) quote, like you can pretend you have wings or whatever, but what's the point if they're imaginary. With the rest though, it's more about how even the things that seem to only weigh us down can be useful.

Also I was lazy and just used her OP quote.

- Minagi Toono, Air

This one is interesting. Thanks!

"You want to believe it, but you're afraid to. You're afraid that you can't make a difference so you don't try."

- Ripples

Thanks! But who is Ripples?

"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite." -Okabe Rintarou, Steins;Gate.

"History dictates that it is the wise who are most foolish." -Okabe Rintarou, Steins;Gate.

Yes. 

More grisaia. jesus, man. This is from Yumiko's route, so in case that had a specific writer the author might be possible to track down.

I like all of those quotes. If you have any more, can you write them outside of quote boxes? Thanks!

Not sure why quoteboxes are a problem, but ok omitting them.

All of these are from Grisaia's Sachi route if not otherwise noted. Some are better than others, others might have been edited slightly for generalicity, which incidentally is probably not a word.

"[...]humming is one of the few forms of musical expression that exists solely for the satisfaction of the performer."

""Night" is a deep and hostile blackness that swallows us whole.

A darkness so absolute that it feels like a premonition of death.

It makes us remember things we'd rather forget, images we've tried to erase from our memories. It shows us, with gut-wrenching clarity, just how weak and powerless we really are."

"[...]true carelessness is something that sneaks up on you; the nastiest surprises always come when you don't even realize you've let down your guard."

"Unless you know a way to turn back time, the debts you owe the dead can never truly be repaid. They can never accept your apologies or excuses."

Rephrased one:

"How long it takes you to see what you've been missing isn't important.

What really matters is how clearly you understand where you went wrong, and how well you make use of that knowledge from now on."

Original:

"This isn't a race. How long it took you to see what you were missing isn't important.

What really matters is how clearly you understand where you went wrong, and how well you make use of that knowledge from now on."

---

Amane route:

"Even gratitude can be annoying if you shove it in someone's face.

Much like any other form of charity, "giving back" to others is meaningless if you're motivated primarily by the desire to show off your own nobility."

Not sure why quoteboxes are a problem, but ok omitting them.

All of these are from Grisaia's Sachi route if not otherwise noted. Some are better than others, others might have been edited slightly for generalicity, which incidentally is probably not a word.

"Unless you know a way to turn back time, the debts you owe the dead can never truly be repaid. They can never accept your apologies or excuses."

Rephrased one:

"How long it takes you to see what you've been missing isn't important.

Amane route:

"Even gratitude can be annoying if you shove it in someone's face.

Much like any other form of charity, "giving back" to others is meaningless if you're motivated primarily by the desire to show off your own nobility."

I reference my posts when I come back to write down the quotes. Quotes in quote boxes do not show up, unfortunately. Thank you!

My favorite one is:

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. And even though it's a virtual world, I feel more alive in here than I ever did in the real one." - Kirito / Sword Art Online

Also:

"I too, was looking for something. Something real in this world. For me, it was the warmth of your hand." - Lizbeth / Sword Art Online

My favorite one is:

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. And even though it's a virtual world, I feel more alive in here than I ever did in the real one." - Kirito / Sword Art Online

Also:

"I too, was looking for something. Something real in this world. For me, it was the warmth of your hand." - Lizbeth / Sword Art Online

Thanks!