VN Quotes

shirayuki75

This is  Kotomine Kirei in fate/stay night during the last bit of the heaven's feel route : 

"There are rare moments of goodwill shown by evil men. There are bad intentions shown on  a whim by saints. The contradiction. The coexistence of good and evil is what makes people human. Life is a crime by itself, and there are punishments because one is alive. Good exists with life and evil exists with life. " 

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind in other men the conviction and the will to carry on."

Walter Lippman

This one is great.

"They're called miracles because they don't happen."

"They're called miracles because they do happen, even when things seem hopeless".

Unfortunately I can't remember the characters for this one, though the VN is Kanon. I believe that Shiori says the first line, and Yuuichi responds to her after the miracle happens.

"Rules are not made to bind you, they exist so that you may know your freedoms."

Yes!

"The only thing waiting for you after giving up is regret."

You Kogasaka, Hoshizora no Memoria

This one resonates with me. 

Got a couple of new ones. I wrote one of them though, so i'm not sure it counts.

"If you hesitate when asking a question, you're probably better off not asking. When you feel the time is right to ask, they'll tell you of their own accord."

Mare Ephemeral, Hoshizora no Memoria

"Never underestimate the power of a promise. A promise can build nations, or it can tear them apart. A promise can break hearts, or it can bind them together. A person's worth is measured by the promises they keep, because the importance of a promise is measurable only by the person it is made to."

Yours truly. If you actually want to use it and need a source, PM me.

"Never underestimate the power of a promise. A promise can build nations, or it can tear them apart. A promise can break hearts, or it can bind them together. A person's worth is measured by the promises they keep, because the importance of a promise is measurable only by the person it is made to."

Yours truly. If you actually want to use it and need a source, PM me.

Isn't this quote also from Hoshizora no Memoria? 

This one is from Aiyoku no Eustia, at the end of the Eris chapter. I like it quite a bit so I decided to translate and share it.

人の生には、本質的に意味がない。 だからこそ、人は自分の人生を誰かに結びつけたがる。約束、友情、復讐、呪い、運命なんでもいい。他者と縁を結ぶことで、人は自分に生きる意味を付加する。そこには計り知れない安心があるだろう。だからこそ、時として人は縁に依存し、それがまるで神の生み出した永遠不変のものであるかのように思い込む。縁というクスリの効果を、いつまでも切らさないために。

Essentially speaking, people's lives are meaningless. For that very reason, man struggles to find something in life to cling onto: promises, friendship, vengeance, a curse, or fate - it doesn't matter. Anything will do. Through binding our fate to another, we find meaning in our own lives. No doubt this provides us with an immeasurable amount of security. And so, from time to time, man comes to depend on such things, believing it to be an eternal, unchanging entity birthed by the gods: all in order to secure an endless supply of the drug we call "bonds".

"Happiness is like glass. It may be all around you, yet be invisible. But if u change your angle of viewing a little, then it will reflect light more beautifully than any other object around you."

"Does strength represent justice if powerlessness is a crime!?"

'When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat. Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast & righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?"

"False tears bring pain to others, false smile brings pain to one self"

"Vigilantism is nothing but self satisfaction"

"Nothing is unforgivable. So if u cannot forgive him, it means you do not want to."

"When people lie, they are doing it to protect the ones they love"

all of the quotes should be from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 both of which are written by Ichirō Ōkouchi

“I’ll admit it. In order for us to live, it’s true that we must commit some atrocities. Sometimes people do terrible, despicable things. But do you really think ‘living’ is a sin? Thinking life is a sin, is the result of arrogant values. You don’t really think it’s a crime for a bird to snatch fruit from a tree, do you? Does a tiger feel guilt for eating its prey? Is it really a terrible thing to join together and create new life? Everything that is necessary to continue living, is not only right, I believe it is sacred. The birds, the tigers, the ants, even the grass… they all work so hard to live. It’s a beautiful thing. And to love the lives of others, is just as important as loving yourself.”

“Life is sure a strange phenomenon. A bud sprouts from a seed. A flower blossoms, reproduces, a seed matures and returns to the earth. From that seed comes another bud, another flower, which blossoms and reproduces, a new seed which in turn returns to the earth. And on and on just like that… What is the purpose of life? Why do flowers bloom? When I see a flower struggling to exist, growing from a crack in the concrete, I have a strange and wonderful feeling. Flowers are always striving desperately to live. Even in an environment such as this, in the depths of the ocean, without enough light or carbon dioxide… Even in such parched and cracked soil… They never even think of giving up, but just struggle courageously to live.”

Both are from Ever 17: The Out of Infinity I cannot find the author of the quotes

Well, since quotes from Anime are allowed...

"A dog's happiness is measured by how useful he is to his master."

"It's not about who's right and who's wrong, there are things more important than that. That's why we need things like apologies and forgiveness."

"That's why people hesitate. In front of all the choices, one could lose hope and try to run away, because no excuse could be used. No matter how dangerous the long journey in life was, or how one admits to being dealt the short end of the stick, everything was the result of one's own choices, it was a road chosen by oneself. Even if this path is hard, and there's no chance of changing past choices, one cannot place the blame on other people. No matter how angry or frustrated one was, one would be alone on that path, for no one to replace you."

-All the three of them are from Aisaka Taiga (Toradora)

"The real evil is the power to kill people. Someone who finds himself with that power is cursed. No matter how you use it, anything obtained by killing people can never bring true happiness."

"Laws aren't perfect, because humans who created laws aren't perfect. It's impossible to be perfect. However, the laws are evidence of the human's struggle to be righteous."

-Both from Yagami Souichirou (Death Note)

"It is not the strong or the smart that survive, but the ones who can bring about change."

-Celestia Ludenberg (Danganronpa)

"You might want money. Maybe you want women. Or, you might want to protect the world. These are all common things people want. Things that their hearts desire. Greed may not be good, but it's not so bad either. Humans think greed is just for money and power, but everyone wants something they don't have."

-Greed (Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seem clearest so that we will always strive to reach it."

"The moment you find the courage to give up your life for someone would be the moment you understand love."

-Both from Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to blow up in this past week! Thank you all. With this batch, I've reached my quota of 50 quotes for this semester, but I'm still going to save up for next semester, so please keep them coming. 

"There are rare moments of goodwill shown by evil men. There are bad intentions shown on  a whim by saints. The contradiction. The coexistence of good and evil is what makes people human. Life is a crime by itself, and there are punishments because one is alive. Good exists with life and evil exists with life. " 

I would write this, but quotes with similar messages have already been posted. Thanks for the contribution, though!

"If you hesitate when asking a question, you're probably better off not asking. When you feel the time is right to ask, they'll tell you of their own accord."

Mare Ephemeral, Hoshizora no Memoria

The first quote is interesting. I wonder if it'll ever apply to me in the future. And the second one is so true; words are powerful. I'll just put "anon" as the source, unless you have a more official one. 

Essentially speaking, people's lives are meaningless. For that very reason, man struggles to find something in life to cling onto: promises, friendship, vengeance, a curse, or fate - it doesn't matter. Anything will do. Through binding our fate to another, we find meaning in our own lives. No doubt this provides us with an immeasurable amount of security. And so, from time to time, man comes to depend on such things, believing it to be an eternal, unchanging entity birthed by the gods: all in order to secure an endless supply of the drug we call "bonds".

At first, I thought this was going to be existential, but I'm glad it isn't. Thanks!

"People die when they are killed."

Shirou Emiya (Fate/Stay Night)

I'm rather surprised that this hasn't been posted yet.

That deepness doh. It hasn't been posted yet because the people here have been so cooperative. Thank you all!

"Happiness is like glass. It may be all around you, yet be invisible. But if u change your angle of viewing a little, then it will reflect light more beautifully than any other object around you."

"Does strength represent justice if powerlessness is a crime!?"

"False tears bring pain to others, false smile brings pain to one self"

"Nothing is unforgivable. So if u cannot forgive him, it means you do not want to."

Yes! There's definitely some cool stuff in Code Geass. I'm glad that you pointed them out to me. 

“I’ll admit it. In order for us to live, it’s true that we must commit some atrocities. Sometimes people do terrible, despicable things. But do you really think ‘living’ is a sin? Thinking life is a sin, is the result of arrogant values. You don’t really think it’s a crime for a bird to snatch fruit from a tree, do you? Does a tiger feel guilt for eating its prey? Is it really a terrible thing to join together and create new life? Everything that is necessary to continue living, is not only right, I believe it is sacred. The birds, the tigers, the ants, even the grass… they all work so hard to live. It’s a beautiful thing. And to love the lives of others, is just as important as loving yourself.”

“Life is sure a strange phenomenon. A bud sprouts from a seed. A flower blossoms, reproduces, a seed matures and returns to the earth. From that seed comes another bud, another flower, which blossoms and reproduces, a new seed which in turn returns to the earth. And on and on just like that… What is the purpose of life? Why do flowers bloom? When I see a flower struggling to exist, growing from a crack in the concrete, I have a strange and wonderful feeling. Flowers are always striving desperately to live. Even in an environment such as this, in the depths of the ocean, without enough light or carbon dioxide… Even in such parched and cracked soil… They never even think of giving up, but just struggle courageously to live.”

Both are from Ever 17: The Out of Infinity I cannot find the author of the quotes

These will take a toll on my hands to write out, but thank you!

Flaming water, Frozen earth - it doesn't matter!  Whoever sees them will be the freest person on the earth!

-Eren Jeager, Attack on Titan (Forgot the author)

I'll pass on this, since I can't relate to it, but thanks!

Do beans have emotions?

- Kazami Yuuji, Grisaia no Kajitsu

Very profound

It's so profound that the VN should be called The Profoundness of the GrisaiaThis made me laugh, though. Thanks!

"It's not an easy balance to reach, but you have to learn to cherish the past at the same time you let go of it."

- Ayumu Shirabe (Sweet Fuse: by your side)

Yeah, it's a hard struggle. I myself don't cherish the past enough.

Caren Ortensia from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

"Evil lies within us"

Indeed. But like with the other post, this message has already shown up on some of the quotes, so I won't use this. But thank you!

"It's not about who's right and who's wrong, there are things more important than that. That's why we need things like apologies and forgiveness."

-Aisaka Taiga (Toradora)

"It is not the strong or the smart that survive, but the ones who can bring about change."

-Celestia Ludenberg (Danganronpa)

"You might want money. Maybe you want women. Or, you might want to protect the world. These are all common things people want. Things that their hearts desire. Greed may not be good, but it's not so bad either. Humans think greed is just for money and power, but everyone wants something they don't have."

-Greed (Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seem clearest so that we will always strive to reach it."

"The moment you find the courage to give up your life for someone would be the moment you understand love."

-Both from Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)

These are beautiful; I love the unique phrasings of their messages. Thank you so much.

Don't throw away your future... by saying you're cursed to live alone.
The thing about the future is... if you believe, something's sure to happen.
Don't reject everything by assuming nothing will ever change.
That's just too sad... It's not that no one could accept you.
You weren't trying to accept the world either...

-Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite, Ryukishi07 (This is the author's pen name)

Of course atonement is hard.
But it might save you.
Do it, if you can.
Even if your sins are too big to ever make up for.
You should still find relief in atoning.
Because as long as you're alive, you'll never be able to feel happy from the bottom of your heart.

-Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite, Romeo Tanaka

The next three are from Anime

Even if I'm not perfect... Even if I'm not the ideal me... He says that I'm still my own person.
The point of life isn't to be perfect.
It's to do want you want to do, to be who you want to be.
That's how I should be trying to live.

- Iori Nagase, Kokoro Connect, Anda Sandanatsu

"You can't run away" is just how the strong think. It's impossible for it to always be the individual's fault. Plenty of times, it's society, the world, your surroundings, or someone else that's mistaken. By saying that "you can change yourself", you're conforming to that trashy, indifferent and cold world. You're admitting that you lost to it and becoming it's slave. You're only dressing it up in pretty words and deceiving everyone including yourself.
   - Hachiman Hikigaya, Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru, Watari Wataru

They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world. But that's a complete lie. When people judge somebody it becomes a fixed idea and an impression that lasts. A loner is forced to stay a loner. If you do your best at something and standout, that'll only get used as fodder for criticism. Those are the rotten rules in the Kingdom of Children.
   - Hachiman Hikigaya, Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru, Watari Wataru

I freaking love Hachiman and his quotes! I've got some others from him but they don't really work well as a standalone / some are too long.

I have to say, Grisaia seems to be a gold mine for these quotes. I found this Haiku to be especially profound.

Covered in her spit

Warm affectionate feelings

For the bizarre beast

-Kazami Yuuji

Does that really appear in the story? Well, I'm now a believer in Grisaiaism. 

Don't throw away your future... by saying you're cursed to live alone.

The thing about the future is... if you believe, something's sure to happen.

Don't reject everything by assuming nothing will ever change.

That's just too sad... It's not that no one could accept you.

You weren't trying to accept the world either...

-Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite, Ryukishi07 (This is the author's pen name)

Of course atonement is hard.

But it might save you.

Do it, if you can.

Even if your sins are too big to ever make up for.

You should still find relief in atoning.

Because as long as you're alive, you'll never be able to feel happy from the bottom of your heart.

-Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite, Romeo Tanaka

The next three are from Anime

Even if I'm not perfect... Even if I'm not the ideal me... He says that I'm still my own person.

The point of life isn't to be perfect.

It's to do want you want to do, to be who you want to be.

That's how I should be trying to live.

- Iori Nagase, Kokoro Connect, Anda Sandanatsu

"You can't run away" is just how the strong think. It's impossible for it to always be the individual's fault. Plenty of times, it's society, the world, your surroundings, or someone else that's mistaken. By saying that "you can change yourself", you're conforming to that trashy, indifferent and cold world. You're admitting that you lost to it and becoming it's slave. You're only dressing it up in pretty words and deceiving everyone including yourself.

They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world. But that's a complete lie. When people judge somebody it becomes a fixed idea and an impression that lasts. A loner is forced to stay a loner. If you do your best at something and standout, that'll only get used as fodder for criticism. Those are the rotten rules in the Kingdom of Children.

I freaking love Hachiman and his quotes! I've got some others from him but they don't really work well as a standalone / some are too long.

Rewrite <3. I love all of these, although Hachiman must be a pessimistic character. And thank you for finding the authors for me. Feel free to post the others that you have! Even though I might not use them, I'm interested in reading them. 

^I lol'd when reading the rewrite quotes due to how the story pans out in both cases

Yeah, ironic. 

"But are there really only two paths to a forked path?  No, there are an infinite number of paths we must take.  There is more than one path.  There is more than one path to the future."
- Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

"We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, we sometimes are driven to become the devil himself."
- Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Trigun)

"If I get reincarnated.... I want to become a clam."
- Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

"A path is something you create as you walk it. The ground you've trodden hardens, and that’s what forms your path. You’re the only one who can create your own path. Walk on your own. If you haven’t given up yet, that is."
- Cross Marian (D. Gray-Man)

"Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I’m covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!"
- Arita Haruyuki (Accel World)

I love Hachiman's pessimism. It's what really made me love Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru. That and I'm always a sucker for people who sacrifice their needs / wants / what have you, for the greater good [i'm looking at you Ami (Toradora), Nanami (Sakurasou), Kuroneko (Oreimo)]

I don't care if I sound like a masochist for saying this but I love anime that make me feel like shit. Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hana, Sakurasou, just to name a few. Pretty much any anime that can get me to shed a few tears or make me want to beat the crap out of someone / something (School Days is the only example that comes to mind at the moment) is a good anime in my book. This of course extends to Visual Novels as well and once I find the right Mangas, this philosophy will extend to them as well.

Hard work won't betray you. Though at times, it WILL betray your dreams. Working hard doesn't necessarily mean you'll fulfill your dreams. It's actually more common for it not to bear fruit. But just the fact that you did your best can serve as a sort of consolation.
  - Hikigaya Hachiman

I hate nice girls. Just exchanging greetings with them will get them on your mind. Start texting each other and your heart will be set a flutter. If they call you, you're done for. Enjoy looking at your logs and grinning like a fool. However, I won't get fooled again. That's what your kind calls kindness. If you're nice to me, you're also nice to others. I always end up nearly forgetting that. Reality is cruel, so I'm sure lies are a form of kindness. Thus I say, kindness itself is also a lie. I always ended up with these expectations, and I always ended up with these misunderstandings. And before I knew it, I stopped hoping. A highly trained loner is once bitten, twice shy. As a veteran on this battlefield of life, I've gotten used to losing.
  - Hikigaya Hachiman

"The important thing is to take part." Famous words spoken by Pierre de Fredy, Baron de Coupertin during a speech. However, this quote tends to be frequently misused and serves as a kind of threat to force participation. There are tons of wild-goose chases in this world you know. If the most important thing is to take part, then surely one could find meaning in not taking part as well. And if everything is worth experiencing, then there's little doubt that the feeling of not experiencing something is, in itself, worth experiencing. In fact, you could even call it a valuable experience to not experience something everyone else does.
  - Hikigaya Hachiman

Trying to find meaning behind pure coincidences or random events is a bad habit unpopular guys have.
  - Hikigaya Hachiman

80% of guys go around thinking, "She likes me, doesn't she?" That's how they live. That's exactly why you need to admonish yourself. You know it's not true.
  - Hikigaya Hachiman

In the end, its possible to hurt another even while being considerate of them.
  - Naoe Riki, Little Busters VN, Chika Shirokiri

(I'm fairly certain I pulled this quote from Haruka's route which was written by her.)

I really need to get back to reading LB so my list of LB quotes isn't desolate. Then again, I'm sure I've read some quotes in other routes I've finished that stuck with me without remembering to write them down.

Good god, this thread is still alive and active... lol. I might as well just share the rest of my quotes along with a few new ones I've recently obtains here then. Better to share then keepin' it for myself. XD

Anime:
"A weak heart hurts everyone around you.
— Mei Tachibana (Sukitte Ii na yo)

"The way we define the world varies depending on one’s feelings, memories, and experiences.
— Mio Nishizono (Little Busters)

"If you find fun in being with others, it's probably because they make you happy, and you make them happy in turn.
— Komari Kamikita (Little Busters)

"I am who I am now because of everything that’s happened. If I try to deny my past, I’m denying the person I’ve become.
— Iori Nagase (Kokoro Connect)

"People who can't throw something important away, can never hope to change anything.
— Armin Arlert (Shingeki no Kyojin)

"Just because you're having fun, doesn't mean your not serious.
— Konatsu Miyamoto (Tari Tari)

"Never forget that kindness can hurt instead of help.
— Himeko Inaba (Kokoro Connect)

"I think people mope when their expectations are too high. It's tiring when you always have to overachieve. Don't overdo it. Just work on achieving what you can.
— Haru Yoshida (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun)

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistake of others.
— Shiori Shiomiya [quoting Otto Von Bismarck] (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

"They say those who die, go to heaven. I don’t think so. I think when we die, we go to live on in someone else's heart. We live on in their memories. Just like how our parents stay in our hearts. But with time, memories fade. That's why people wish to leave something behind. They don't want to be forgotten. Nobody wants to be forgotten.
— Kaito Kirishima (Ano Natsu de Matteru)

"People try to define themselves. And that definition shackles them, binds them. It is hope. And Thus hope exists. Hope is not the desire of others, It is the guiding beacon set by oneself. It is a basal emotion which stems from belief, faith, and courage. One's desires are different from another's. In other words, there is no absolute justice that everyone believes in. Humans only desire what they want.
— Komachi Kiyomasa (Fantasista Doll)

OTHER:
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you.
You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.
— (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica [quoting Bob Marley])

"I have to say that I love this place very, very much. But soon everything changes. Well, at least it does eventually. Fun things...Happy things... They'll all eventually change some day, you know? But can you still love this place?"

- Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)

That's all I can think of that hasn't been posted here yet.