VN Quotes

shirayuki75

I have a quote assignment that requires 50 quotes per semester and I want some visual novel/Japanese creative influence in my quote book. Can you guys help me out? I'm done with this assignment, but this thread is still open because it's fun to read. Please tell me any quotes that you like from the visual novels that you've read. The quote should follow these conditions:

1. It can be understood without context of the situation.
2. It should preferably be said/thought in one dialogue box. It can be a short conversation between two characters as long as you trim excess info with ellipses.
3. It can't be just a joke. It should have meaning, almost profoundness. Not the kind of stuff that can be found at the bottom of vndb. It doesn't have to be something 2deep4u, but as long as it's meaningful. Jokes are fine, but I'm thinking more along the lines of witticisms.
4. It must be school-appropriate LOL not anymore!

For example,

"'The reason why people write novels and read them is to lament the fact that they can live their lives only once.'"
- Mio Nishizono, Little Busters! (Leo Kashida)

I'll be working on this all year and I'm eager to hear your suggestions. I obviously won't take all of the quotes, just the ones that strike home with me, but post away, even if you're not sure if exactly fits the guidelines. I'm mainly looking for ones from VNs, but if you have a quote from an anime/manga/light novel that is really good, by all means. I'm including those as well. And I promise that I'm not going to be like Kyousuke Natsume if you say something Masato-like.

Thanks again!

Games are games. Reality is reality. Those who try to link them together are the ones who can't tell the difference.

--Keima Katsuragi, The World God Only Knows

He who fights monsters should take care that he himself does not become a monster. Gaze too long into the Abyss...and the Abyss gazes into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche, also Baldur's Gate

That's kind of hard... most of the best quotes I can think of compose at least three lines, usually a statement, followed by a question, followed by an answer. Most of the best VN philosophy is the writer speaking through the characters, using the conversation to make the argument.

Games are games. Reality is reality. Those who try to link them together are the ones who can't tell the difference.

I've always wondered about that one: isn't that pretty much an admission that he himself CAN'T tell the difference?

I've always wondered about that one: isn't that pretty much an admission that he himself CAN'T tell the difference?

No it's not. He was replying to his gym teacher who had just accused him of that. Keima's belief is that the real world can never live up to the ideals set forth in games. It's a very different viewpoint from those who insist that games turn people into criminals.

Dunno about quotes, but here's a few popular sayings.

悪妻は百年の不作。 (Akusai wa hyaku-nen no fusaku) Literally: A bad wife spells a hundred years of bad harvest.

This means: A bad wife is a ruin of her husband.

残り物には福がある。 (Nokorimono ni wa fuku ga aru) Literally: Luck exists in the leftovers.

This means: There is luck in the last helping.

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず。 (Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu) Literally: If you do not enter the tiger's cave, you will not catch its cub.

This means: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. / You can't do anything without risking something.

夏炉冬扇 (karo tōsen) Literally: Summer heater winter fan

This means: Something which is out of season and therefore rendered useless.

花鳥風月 (Kachou Fuugetsu) Literally: Flower, Bird, Wind, Moon

This means: Experience the beauties of nature, and in doing so learn about yourself.

起死回生 (kishi kaisei) Literally: Wake from death and return to life

This means: To come out of a desperate situation and make a complete return in one sudden burst.

自業自得 (Jigou Jitoku) Literally: One's Act, One's profit/Advantage.

This means: That's what you get, Just desserts, You reap what you sow.

瓜田李下 (kaden rika) Literally: Melon field, under a plum tree

This means: Stepping into a melon field, standing under a plum tree (, such behavior causes misunderstanding that you want to steal those fruits); implying that you must avoid actions which could be taken on a bad faith.

晴天の霹靂 (Seiten no heki-reki) Literally: Thunderclap from a clear sky.

This means: A bolt from the blue. / A complete surprise.

猿も木から落ちる。 (Saru mo ki kara ochiru) Literally: Even monkeys fall from trees.

This means: Everyone makes mistakes. / Nobody's perfect.

蓼食う虫も好き好き (Tade kuu mushi mo sukizuki) Literally: There are even bugs that eat knotweed.

This means: There's no accounting for taste. / To each his own.

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。 (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu) Literally: A frog in a well does not know the great sea.

This means: People are satisfied to judge things by their own narrow experience, never knowing of the wide world outside.

蛙の子は蛙。 (Kaeru no ko wa kaeru) Literally: Child of a frog is a frog.

This means: Like father, like son.

Wow, thanks, everyone! I hope to hear more as time goes on.

He who fights monsters should take care that he himself does not become a monster. Gaze too long into the Abyss...and the Abyss gazes into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche, also Baldur's Gate

Yes, I like these a lot. I was also confused by Keima's quote until you clarified it. Thanks!

"Life was not born to give up."

- Kagari, Rewrite.

Since I've read Rewrite, I know what this really means, but it's so powerful as a stand-alone as well. Thanks!

That's kind of hard... most of the best quotes I can think of compose at least three lines, usually a statement, followed by a question, followed by an answer. Most of the best VN philosophy is the writer speaking through the characters, using the conversation to make the argument.

Post them anyways. I'm interested to hear them regardless. If the format is indeed the way you say it is, then I think it'll work.

"In this world, reality is what the vast majority of people say it is. I simply had the misfortune to step outside of that box."

-Fuminori Sakisaka, Saya no Uta

That's such an understatement. Haha. Thanks!

残り物には福がある。 (Nokorimono ni wa fuku ga aru) Literally: Luck exists in the leftovers.

This means: There is luck in the last helping.

I rather like that saying. Thanks!

"The person I've fallen in love with just happened to be a little girl!"

- Kogasaka You (Hoshizora no Memoria)

its the one I have in my signature image,

original is 好きになった子がたまたま少女だっただけだ!

its very meaningful and school-friendly quote expressing that little girls should not be left alone and should be loved tongue.gif Because otherwise they might get scared ohmy.gif

And that brings us another quote

"Little girls should not be left alone and should be loved. Because otherwise they might get scared"

- Steve, the loli protector

ecPII0e.jpg

"Little girls should not be left alone and should be loved. Because otherwise they might get scared"

When did You say that? I can't seem to remember. Also I thought you were a loli hunter, not a protector.

Anyway onto the main topic, it's not from a VN but I do think it is an epic quote.

When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiruluk (One Piece)

Probably didn't need to post it here since it's my signature but whatever.

Thank you for your contribution, ahaha.

When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiruluk (One Piece)

Wow, this one is awesome! Thanks!

Bit of a longer one, but it's in one vertical textbox afaik. It basically encompasses the moral ambiguity of wars and conflict in general. Probably not the school-friendly quote you're looking for but eh, screw it, it's a good and meaningful quote worth sharing anyway.

誰かの敵は誰かの味方。

誰かの悪は誰かの善。

刃が生命を奪うとき、必ず善と悪は諸共に断たれている。例外は無い。

悪だけを斬る武器、悪だけを殺す殺人など無い。

In my translation it roughly goes like this in English:

One’s enemy is another’s ally. One’s wickedness is another’s virtue. The moment a sword takes a life, it slays both evil and good at the very same time, without fail.

There exists no blade that strikes down only the wicked.

There is no steel that tastes the blood of villains alone.

-Minato Kageaki, Soukou Akki Muramasa

「ウソっていうのは、相手を欺いて、陥れるための方便のコトを言うんだ」

A lie is an instrument meant to trap and deceive another.

「相手が不快に思わないんなら、それはウソとして成立してない」

If that other person doesn't find it unpleasant, then it isn't a lie.

~Shigure Sora, Devils Devel Concept

I know a few,but not from VN's:

"Happiness creeps into you so quietly that you don't notice, but misfortune arrives very abruptly" -(Fumiya Takemura, Adrift in Tokyo)

"I can’t promise you when good things will come to your life, but i do know that no one but you has the power to give meaning to your life in this world" -(Rin Asogi, Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~)

"Back when i was still a little boy, one day, while i was riding that blue bicycle that i always used to ride, i thought to myself... how far could i ride without looking back? i'm not exactly sure what i was trying to prove by doing that, but then.. i realized. What i was trying to prove that day is how important the people i was leaving behind were" -(Yūta Takemoto, Honey and clover)

and here are some from one of my fav video game character; Solid Snake:

"We can tell other people about - having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future."

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one in the same thing."

One’s enemy is another’s ally. One’s wickedness is another’s virtue. The moment a sword takes a life, it slays both evil and good at the very same time, without fail.

-Minato Kageaki, Soukou Akki Muramasa

That's a good one. By school-appropriate, I mean just not stupid sexual ones. Thanks!

"I would have fallen in love with anyone if I was dependent on them. And you would have fallen in love with anyone if they protected you."

Mirai Nikki, Yuno

Quite a cynical view on love, haha. It doesn't work well as a stand-alone, but thanks.

――毒から快楽を作り出すのは人間だけだ――

"Humans are the only ones that make pleasure from poison."

~ Minami Mutsuki from Devils Devel Concept

Sadly, this is true. Thanks!

An old japanese saying: "If true love exists, Smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples."

LOL. Thanks!

「ウソっていうのは、相手を欺いて、陥れるための方便のコトを言うんだ」

A lie is an instrument meant to trap and deceive another.

「相手が不快に思わないんなら、それはウソとして成立してない」

If that other person doesn't find it unpleasant, then it isn't a lie.

~Shigure Sora, Devils Devel Concept

Really strange. I don't agree with it, but I like its twisted view. Thanks!

I know a few,but not from VN's:

"Happiness creeps into you so quietly that you don't notice, but misfortune arrives very abruptly" -(Fumiya Takemura, Adrift in Tokyo)

"I can’t promise you when good things will come to your life, but i do know that no one but you has the power to give meaning to your life in this world" -(Rin Asogi, Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~)

"Back when i was still a little boy, one day, while i was riding that blue bicycle that i always used to ride, i thought to myself... how far could i ride without looking back? i'm not exactly sure what i was trying to prove by doing that, but then.. i realized. What i was trying to prove that day is how important the people i was leaving behind were" -(Yūta Takemoto, Honey and clover)

and here are some from one of my fav video game character; Solid Snake:

"We can tell other people about - having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future."

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one in the same thing."

I love all of these. Thank you!

"Don't believe in you. Believe in the me who believes in you"

and "Don't believe in you. Nor the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in you"

Kamina, Gurren Lagann

"Fool! you think that would work out? VNs aren't reality. Our planet isn't so kind as to let things conveniently work out the way you want. As long as you keep holding these delusions about reality, you'll never be able to give up on 3D"

Me. I said this on the IRC. Not really to be taken seriously.

Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.

-Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)

The flowers bloom, then wither …

the stars shine and one day become extinct …

This earth, the sun, the galaxies and even the big universe

someday will be destroyed …

Compared with that,the human life is only a blink,

just a little time …

In that short time, the people are born, laugh, cry, fight,

are injured, feel joy, sadness, hate someone, love someone.

All in just a moment.

And then, are embraced by the eternal sleep called death.

Virgo Shakra- Saint Seya

Only quotes from visual novels? not anime too?

"It's hard to continue believing you're right when everyone around you disagrees. It's far easier to change your mind, and decide that you were the only one in the wrong. Sometimes... it's easier to accept then it is to fight it. It hurts a lot less to accept people's misunderstandings than it does to try and fight it."

— Kotarou Tennouji (Rewrite)

"People can't change, they merely learned how to live smart. People can become stronger or smarter. It's form may alter depending on the environment or situation. But you can never change your true nature."

— Yuuichi Yusa (Wanko to Kurasou)

"Nobody had appreciated me before because I wanted them to like the real me. Problem was, the real me wasn't any good. So I might as well just pretend. All I had to do was act out the most convenient role. Force out the most convenient emotions. Become someone who put a smile on people's faces. Even if that meant the real me to disappear entirely, I didn't care."

— Michiru Matsushima (Grisaia no Kajitsu)

"When you're a brat, running fast is enough to make you popular. When you're a middle-schooler, the guys who can fight will be popular, and after that it's the guys with brains who get the girls."

— Yuuji Kazami (Grisaia no Kajitsu)

"Don't believe in you. Believe in the me who believes in you"

and "Don't believe in you. Nor the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in you"

Kamina, Gurren Lagann

LOL. Your IRC quote reminds me of Keima Katsuragi. I'm using the Kamina quote. The last one is good, just a bit depressing for me. haha. Thanks!

Only quotes from visual novels? not anime too?

"It's hard to continue believing you're right when everyone around you disagrees. It's far easier to change your mind, and decide that you were the only one in the wrong. Sometimes... it's easier to accept then it is to fight it. It hurts a lot less to accept people's misunderstandings than it does to try and fight it."

— Kotarou Tennouji (Rewrite)

"When you're a brat, running fast is enough to make you popular. When you're a middle-schooler, the guys who can fight will be popular, and after that it's the guys with brains who get the girls."

— Yuuji Kazami (Grisaia no Kajitsu)

Nah, anime is fine. Funny, I had that Rewrite quote saved on my computer, but then I deleted it. The second one is a real eye-opener. Michiru's quote is quite sad. That last quote is win. Thanks!

"We can only understand ourselves through being with others."

— Riki Naoe (Little Busters)

"If I’m admiring, I can’t surpass."

— Ryouta Kise (Kuroko no Basket)

"If you're going to make everyone happy, you have to make yourself happy first."

— Zenkichi Hitoyoshi (Medaka Box Abnormal)

"If you only accept things that meet your ideals precisely, you’ll make yourself and everyone around you unhappy."

— Chihiro Sengoku (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)

"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."

— Houtarou Oreki (Hyouka)

"Everyone is the same. They only make an excuse for what they feel like doing, not caring what others will feel. Disagreements will always remain in this world, our hearts won't be linked if we don't say anything. That's why everyone needs to be more selfish with their feelings, then that selfishness can lead to an agreement."

— Shelley Maycraft (Shukufuku no Campanella)

"You can find an another way to live. Even if you despair in losing one way. You’ll find something else to do."

— Kengo Miyazawa (Little Busters)

"Life is a game where if one person becomes happy, another becomes unhappy. Everyone thinks that they're the most unhappy. And everyone who thinks they're unhappy thinks everyone else is happy."

— Kanata Futaki (Little Busters)

"The opposite of love isn't hate, but rather, apathy."

— Masuzu Natsukawa (Oreshura)

Here ya go :3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! 

"We can only understand ourselves through being with others."
— Riki Naoe (Little Busters)
Beautiful. 

"If I’m admiring, I can’t surpass."
— Ryouta Kise (Kuroko no Basket)
So true.

"You can find an another way to live. Even if you despair in losing one way. You’ll find something else to do."
— Kengo Miyazawa (Little Busters)
Yes. So much yes.

"Life is a game where if one person becomes happy, another becomes unhappy. Everyone thinks that they're the most unhappy. And everyone who thinks they're unhappy thinks everyone else is happy."
— Kanata Futaki (Little Busters)

But that's wrong! I'm going to amend this one a little. Kanata shouldn't think this way; it's too sad.

"The opposite of love isn't hate, but rather, apathy."
— Masuzu Natsukawa (Oreshura)
Good one!

Ooh, i'm going to have fun with this. I have a collection of quotes that I post on my blog. Looking up the authors may be tricky though.

Unfortunately i've amended some of them, so I can't really post those ones.

Unfortunately this first one is an actual quote, so it's not really from a Visual Novel (though it features in Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo):

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind in other men the conviction and the will to carry on."

Walter Lippman

"No matter how important a person is, some day you will lose them. No matter how much you desire it, eternity is one thing you will never possess. It's the time you do spend with that person that's important, so that you can meet your parting without regret."

Yuko Amamiya, Ef - A Fairy Tale of the Two 

"They're called miracles because they don't happen."

"They're called miracles because they do happen, even when things seem hopeless".

Unfortunately I can't remember the characters for this one, though the VN is Kanon.

"It's better to be alone in a desolate place than it is to be alone in a place with many people."

Chihiro Shindou, Ef - A Fairy Tale of the Two

"Samurai die for their own sake. Knights die for the sake of another. That is why I have always called myself a knight."

Sakuya Ohtori, Rewrite

"Rules are not made to bind you, they exist so that you may know your freedoms."

Not sure on character, but the video game is Nier.

"The only thing waiting for you after giving up is regret."

You Kogasaka, Hoshizora no Memoria