The World God Only Knows: Opinions on the Series as a Whole

Commissar Badass

I want to see a discussion as to why people like or dislike this show.

I had an argument with my younger brother about this show - from my own personal opinion of having read a good chunk of the manga (upto the present seasons material), and honestly ... I don't get why the show garners as good of a review as it does. I understand that it caters to a wide audience by introducing multiple female stereotypes while catering to hetero male ego-centric audiences - one guy gets all the ladies (which is an increasingly common theme these days).

But from my own standpoint, the story, outside of the little "arcs" if you will for each of the girls, is very bland to me. I've not seen much that would have me thinking years down the line "this was a memorable story that pulled at my emotional strings and has me hyped for the next episode". Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but outside of the girls arcs, just how far has the show really progressed as we are currently well into way of the third season? Maybe I'm forgetting things here (which only adds to the whole point of the show not being very memorable), but its only by the third season where we get to see a lot of the back story that starts to drive this whole "awakening of these goddesses" business.

I don't know, I honestly don't understand why it's as good as people claim it to be. Granted a lot of harems may possibly follow that "set up the flag" business, which is alright given they try to move steadily along in a general direction. But it took 3 seasons to get to this point for TWGOK, and I'm not sure why it's hyped to the lengths that it is today.

Share your opinions on the topic. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say on both sides of the fence. I will say this however, please don't try and persuade me on why I am wrong and why I should change my way of thinking. I've given the manga a good enough read and have watched at least the first season fully before coming to this conclusion, so I'm definitely not jumping on a bandwagon and hatin' for no reason (though hate is a strong word, just a general dislike). That being said, I respect other peoples opinions and won't tell them they're wrong to like it; it's their own choice. I'm just curious as to why people like the show and perhaps it will give me some insight as to why they do and maybe, just maybe, from there I can readjust my own thinking with differing opinions.

I need to divide your post into several segments because I keep trying to answer all of your questions at the same time and it isn't pretty when I do :/

from my own personal opinion

this is most of your problem right here. you didn't enjoy the series as much as other people because in your opinion it wasn't great, and you don't understand why other people like it because you didn't as much, if at all. I myself don't understand why people think evangelion is any good, but that's because of my opinion of the show.

But from my own standpoint, the story, outside of the little "arcs" if you will for each of the girls, is very bland to me.

it's a romcom about a dude seducing girls to exorcise demon spirits that escaped from hell. compared to the average harem anime where each episode generally has absolutely nothing to do to the story nor does it add anything to the plot, I would say that it's pretty rich. compare it to to love ru or girls bravo. both romcom harems, both of them don't do much with the story outside the first and last few episodes of any given season. almost everything in the middle is filler to build up relationship points between the guy and his ladies.

with twgok, each episode has a clear cut goal and anywhere between 50 to 75% of the episode is plot based shenanigans with the rest being comedic sprinkles.

"this was a memorable story that pulled at my emotional strings and has me hyped for the next episode".

outside of his relationship with elsie, there isn't much romance/emotion to pull at. you can clearly see that he is manipulating the girls using his leet gaming skills, and that automatically kills almost all of the romance. the show does surprise you occasionally with some moe, but especially in the first two seasons, the show isn't a romantic drama, it's a romantic comedy. other romcom shows may have drama as well, this one has little to none.

this is mostly due to the girls being taken on one at a time and none of them remembering him afterwards. they don't have the feels after each conquest so there's no jealousy or lonliness or what have you that usually makes you go "Awe..." until s3.

But it took 3 seasons to get to this point for TWGOK, and I'm not sure why it's hyped to the lengths that it is today.

maybe i'm being biased because I've watched so many, but are you seriously surprised that this show is only where it's at? I've seen a few that have gone on for far longer than this with far less development. hells, to love ru has what, 5 seasons plus ovas by now and the guy is still single.

I'm not sure why it's hyped to the lengths that it is today.

the same thing happened with FMA. a lot of people liked it, a lot of people loved it, and not many people didn't enjoy it.

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai is a god-tier show in my opinion, and a large part of that stems from how much I like the protagonist, however the show also has a lot of good points and insightful messages.

That being said, it is not a show like FMAB or Evangelion where the show is centered around some huge plot that carries a powerful message. Instead, the messages in kami nomi are delivered en masse in each arc, which means they won't carry as much power.

Some themes off the top of my head:

Doing things you don't want to do due to responsibility. (This one is kind of obvious)

General disregard for what others think of you, as long as you can do what you want. (obvious as well)

Being flexible while remembering your goal (Keima plans out each conquest well in advance, but things never go perfectly according to plan, and he has to adapt to the changes, even some due to his own failings)

How real people don't perfectly fit in to stereotypes(although some try to)

Actually it's kind of hard to describe... because a lot of the show is how you mentally react to it....(as well as Keima's mental reactions)

There is also the harem thing you mentioned, although I'm not particularly fond of harems, at least there's a reason he has one. (Albeit unintentionally) He appeared at a critical moment in each of the heroines lives and helped them reaffirm their identity/life.

Meh i don't know really how to describe it, it may all stem down to me really liking keima.

Eldin>> XD

I found the story pleasing overall. Though as Eldin might have said the drama really isn't there... Yet? The manga is still ongoing and things may still happen..

Mostly now that Keima time looped back to the summer of when all the spirits were released

It's romcom anyway. I expect more things to happen after Keima returns from his journey from ...(Refer to the spoiler)

To be honest, i had sort-of the same thoughts when watching the first half of the first season, and after that, i got hooked up on it and the watched season 2 (i haven't watched season 3 yet, as i don't like waiting a week or two to see what happens in the next episode). As to why i got hooked up? maybe because its sort-of different in terms of the harem type, as of right now, i don't know any anime that uses the formula that twgok uses (unlike cliche harem animes, where the guy has 5 or 6 girls after him at the same time, the character in twgok moves on from one girl to another, the girl before each other can't remember anything, and thus, the "cliche" and repetitive drama in typical harems where the girls are fighting over the guy is never created) not to mention, he actually help the girls through their hardships and such before making them fall in love with him, unlike typical harems where the guy can't decide which one to go after. Another thing is that the character has a obsession for Dating Sims and can conquer any girls in the 2d game world, but he is forced into a contract to date girls to save them from the loose souls, which ends up in him doing hilarious stuff to win them over. i guess one of the reasons i like it also is because it uses the "multi-arc" formula (Like yns and amagami ss) i guess thats my opinion on the series. i mean, isn't lovable to see a cute demon soul hunter say to you cheerfully "Hi im elsie, im a demon from hell! you made a contract with me!" :lol:

I got onto the series due to the harem tag. I watched finish it last year. S I, SII.

The show is wonderful. It looks incomplete. Searched for manga. Read the manga. The manga is awesome :0

WAKAKI SENSEI!T_T

Then yea waited weekly for the chapters to come.

All I can say is that. This series. Is unique. Different from all those mainstream anime u each everyday. The twists,the awesomeness, the epicness. Especially, the SONGS.

The major plot twist

Goes back in time

Is definitely one of the most exciting part of the series.

And why people hate this series. All I can say is that, they have bad taste.

I share your skepticism. I watched the first season and there was nothing really exciting. It wasn't bad for a romcom, but nothing really stood out as particularly genius.

Although I see people talking about 'epicness' and 'plot twist', so maybe it gets better later.

And why people hate this series. All I can say is that, they have bad taste.
I don't think this is a very fair statement to be honest. the same as he can't understand why people like it, just because you don't understand why they don't doesn't mean they have bad taste. it just means they like other things.

I don't think this is a very fair statement to be honest. the same as he can't understand why people like it, just because you don't understand why they don't doesn't mean they have bad taste. it just means they like other things.

Yea haha. I'm probably over rating the anime too much XDD

I don't know about others, but in my case, the whole setting is very attracting. I don't really care about getting all the girls, but the prospect of putting eroge into real life seems like a dream to me, as I agree completely that RL is just a shitty game. The idea of putting actual game practices into it is what really attracted me to the series.

Sorry, I've been away for the last few days (moved back to my old home and will be finishing my last year of school for degree, so I've been busy packing and unpacking/cleaning things, on top of a Con that I went to today). I'll try and post responses and read over everyone's comments later this week. Too tired to read anything that would require my brain to think tonight, would rather spew words. But I look forward to some of your responses.