Japanese Help Thread

"I remember hearing or reading somewhere that a date starts at the waiting time. It really is that way, uh?" or something like that.

Pretty sure the kanji is 靴, 靴ずれ is the pain you get when your shoes are unfit or too new and rub your feet badly.

Isn't he just agreeing with it then?

本当にその通りだとおもう
I really think that's the way it is/should be.

After that he even adds:

約束の25分前に着いちゃった
I came here 25 minutes earlier as per convention (25 conventional minutes earlier if you want to get literal)

Well the first sentence is really what I was having trouble with so that part's explained. :P

Yeah, that's what I wrote. The nuance of surprise I added might not be there, I don't have the flavor of the text at my disposal since I don't have the whole scene.

For the sentence you quoted afterwards, I think he's just saying that he came 25 minutes early (than what they had agreed on, that's what the 約束 is). 約束 can't really translate as "convention"/tradition here.

• 2 weeks later...

And so I've finally gotten off my ass and resumed translation and conversion of Arcana after taking a break for several months, and now I've gotten to Light Chapter 14, one more chapter before I reach the end of one of the game's two major branches. Now I've run into a very strange verb form I cannot decipher. Here it is, with some immediate context:

Meister: お前も…もう少し心に闇があればな…われらの眷属の一人になれたものを…わかっているのか…お前はどちらの道も選べたのだ…

Caprese: そんなこと…

Meister: まぁ、いまさら遅いわ… お前は既に我らの憎むべき光の眷属… これ以上… 力を付ける前に消えて貰わねばならぬ

Larger context here is that Caprese and Primo are on their way back to the Hierophant's Palace after their long journey, and run into the Meister, who seems to be leading Marcato and his army to an assault on the Palace. The portion I highlighted seems to be a form of う, but what does it actually mean? This -ぬ ending verb form seems to be rather strange. Googling for this form gives contradictory answers as to its meaning. It looks like some sort of conditional negative and I can't make sense of it.

So the fact that the VNDB page for XX of the dead is essentially completely empty has been bugging me so I have been updating it, though my Japanese is kinda poor so... Can somone translate the summary into English for me so I can (or you for that matter) add it to the VNDB page? I'd translate it myself, but I think the result would be pretty bad :makina:

EDIT: I did try my best to translate it, and uploaded it to VNDB. Go ahead and edit it if my tanslation is complete trash. (which it might be :miyako: )

https://vndb.org/v17377

Summary in Japanese:

Spoiler

20××年。冬の始まりの季節。

どこからか"それ"は訪れ、尋常一様な刻は、突然終わりを告げる。

初めての恋をした者、まだそれを知らぬもの、

生きる事に意味を見出した者、そうでない者

皆、平等に全てを裂いた。

そして望む様なミライは、消えさり真実の世界を目のあたりにする。

気づけば、まだ生暖かい骸が幾つも転がり、

世界を壊す様に骸は"それ"として甦り"生きとし生けるもの"を喰らい始めた。

薄曇りの空から、雪の降りそうな日。

辛うじて生き延びた 若者達の時間が――始まった。

My horrible attempt at translating it, (please no bully :yumiko: )

Spoiler

The year is 20XX. Winter has just begun.

Coming from who knows where, ”that” arrives, marking the end of normal life

Falling in love for the first time, there are still those who dont know,

There are those who have found the reason to stay alive and those who havent; either way, everyone are torn apart equally.

Still warm bodies are rolling,

The bodies which used to be living turns into ”those”, breaking the world around them

The future of the world crumbles before people´s eyes

Snow fell from the cloudy sky that day

For those young people, the time of barely clinging to life began

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a go at translating (at least part of) Hanasaki Work Spring! and came across a sentence I don't fully understand. Context: the player character (花咲遊真) is faced with a girl who is polite and friendly to him when others are around, but shows her true nature - cold and rude - when they're alone. The flow is as follows (she's currently in friendly mode):

(遊真 stares at the girl)
Girl:「? 何ですか、花咲様。私に何か?」
(遊真 thinks:) たおやかな微笑み。でも、その笑顔の裏にあるものを俺は読まずにはいられない

By ...もの, he of course refers to her real personality that she hides behind her fake smile; but I don't understand what follows. Is the は part of the last verb (-> 読まずに入られない) or a particle (読まずには要られない/居られない)? Even then, what does it mean?

hi there

so i am currently translating Guilty Crown Lost Christmas to my native language

and i am stuck here

キャンサーと同化したどちらでもない身体で、プレゼントは嘆く

before that, プレゼント take off her clothes and show that her body have cancer from AP crystal, and スクルージ commented about her body isnt invaded by the cancer, but プレゼント and the cancer itself already assimilated or something like that

i already look at zakobot translation but i still didnt get what プレゼント getting at...

is it weird to ask this in english forum ? lol

• 3 weeks later...

(context is asuna looking for log out console from some SAO vn)

辿り着いた実験体格納星で *clip*

格納星 - Can this be translated as save spot (as in game data saving)? Translator gives stored stars / storage star

実験体 - experiment #1, or something else? or does experiment body make sense in English?

Both of those will depend on the vocabulary given by the VN itself.   格納星  is literally storage star. That means whatever the VN says it means.

Experiment body could make sense but personally I'd use something like Experimental subject, Experiment subject, or simply just Subject, though.

Interpretation question. The main character is walking through a school hallway and overhears a random conversation:

女子生徒A: だからさあ~、マジでリーダー、ヤバイんだって
女子生徒B: あんた、勉強しないからなあ~
女子生徒A: 言ったな~!
女子生徒B: あはは! ごめんごめん

That's the entirety of it - the girls are offscreen and get no names. There is no additional context.

Who is this リーダー? Is it girl B or someone else? Is it literally the leader of their group or some sort of nickname? Why would this leader be in trouble because girl A isn't studying?

I think there's too little context to decide on who is the leader and why he will be in trouble.

We can only assume that it is connected with the girl A not studying properly.

The other possibility is that they are not talking about a person, but rather about a school subject:

)リーダー【名詞】1reader読み方を学ぶ学生用の一連のテキストの1つ(one of a series of texts for studentslearning to read)

Edited by Ioruko
typo

【はる】
「私には……作家先生より、草太くんの方が、かっこよく見えるの」
【はる】
「だって、私の彼氏は……世界で一番、かっこいい人だから……!」
【草太】
「は、はるちゃんっ……(ジ~~~ン……)」
【はる】
「な~んて、もうっ……恥ずかしいこと、言わせないでっ」

Anyone have an idea of what this (ジ~~~ン……)could be translated to?  
Also, how would you translate "な~んて、もうっ…" to english? I can understand the meaning but can't quite translate it to english.

4 hours ago, Craftmoon said:

【草太】
「は、はるちゃんっ……(ジ~~~ン……)」
【はる】
「な~んて、もうっ……恥ずかしいこと、言わせないでっ」

Anyone have an idea of what this (ジ~~~ン……)could be translated to?  
Also, how would you translate "な~んて、もうっ…" to english? I can understand the meaning but can't quite translate it to english.

ジーン is like *touched* (as in touched emotionally - no matter how many extra ~ you add to it).

なんて、もう is like "Aww geez" or "Aww, shucks"

• 2 weeks later...

In Japan, there's apparently a system called 体験入学 where parents choosing the next school for their child, or parents living abroad wanting their child to get a feel for school life in Japan, can have it attend a school for some time like a regular student without actually enrolling. Does a system like this exist in other countries at all? Or more specifically, is there a short translation for it? If not, I'll have to try to fit an explanation in what little space is available :)

4 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

「でも、ちょっと羨ましいかな。
そうやって打ち込めるものがあるのって」

No idea what 打ち込める  means.

Assuming we're not talking about sports or fighting techniques or things to do with physical hitting

It means to be absorbed, devoted, concentrated, put your whole heart into doing something.

So I'm trying to translate this, though I'm a little bit uncertain about one part of the sentence:

小さい頃、学校で「ひとり、ひとつずつだよ」と、先生にお花の種をもらった。

The part in brackets: 「ひとり、ひとつずつだよ」

What exactly does this ... mean? I understand the words but I can't make sense of it in the sentece as a whole.

It sounds like a sort of saying that I am not familiar with or something.  Like, is the teacher saying it to her, or is she thinking it? Or is it refering to the seeds she got in some way?

What would be a fitting translation here?

There are no lines before this; it's the first line in the VN. After, you get this:

けれど家への帰り道、お花の種をもらったことがうれしくてはしゃいでいた双子の妹は、転んだ拍子にその種を失くしてしまった。

転んで擦りむいたひざこぞうに、「いたいのいたいの、とんでけー」って魔法をかけてあげたけれど、

すりむいたひざこぞうの痛みとお花の種を失くしてしまったことに、妹はぐずぐずと泣き続けた。

Okay, need a bit help with a short sentence:

「もー、ばっかにしてるわ!」

The context is someone(an ojousama) being mad about not being first in math and complaining to herself about the results she saw posted. I can't figure out if it's ばっか or ばか with extra press on the か... Also not too sure about してる。 Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
Someone who quoted her used バカ, so that one's understood. Not 100% sure about してる thou...

Edited by The Last Melody
More info