Japanese Help Thread

Translating it simply as "master" is fine. It's adding "shaolin/kung fu/etc." that perverts the meaning.

"Hey. Don't go dodging by a millimeter on purpose! Or I'd think you were some kind of kungfu master!" doesn't make much sense, neither as a thing to say nor given that she said a second ago that she didn't dodge it. And you don't get exasperated when someone reacts with pride to an actual complement.

Translating it simply as "master" is fine. It's adding "shaolin/kung fu/etc." that perverts the meaning.

"Hey. Don't go dodging by a millimeter on purpose! Or I'd think you were some kind of kungfu master!" doesn't make much sense, neither as a thing to say nor given that she said a second ago that she didn't dodge it. And you don't get exasperated when someone reacts with pride to an actual complement.

I think the "splitting hairs" part can be a bit misleading, but dowolf's line does the job alright for the most part.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but maybe something like this could also work:

"Don't tell me you can actually differentiate between a few millimeters of cloth like that! It sounds almost like you've been practicing for this!"

This line would also make sense if this was the first time she actually pulled that stunt off (as her smug reaction in the case of dowolf's line "You'll make me think you've done this a million times." indicates it wasn't).

EDIT:

"Hey. Don't go dodging by a millimeter on purpose! What are you, a kungfu master?!"

Yeah, this sounds closest to what he is saying exactly. Unfortunately, this exact phrasing doesn't work that well in English (I think) and comes off as a bit awkward. I think going for a bit more liberal take similar to dowulf's, where you put emphasis on that she really shouldn't go around doing stuff like that, makes the line a bit more effective and would do for a better localization (if you are allowed to take liberties with the text, that is). But, yeah, your line was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the JP version, too. xD

I think the "splitting hairs" part can be a bit misleading, but dowolf's line does the job alright for the most part.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but maybe something like this could also work:

"Don't tell me you can actually differentiate between a few millimeters of cloth like that! It sounds almost like you've been practicing for this!"

This line would also make sense if this was the first time she actually pulled that stunt off (as her smug reaction in the case of dowolf's line "You'll make me think you've done this a million times." indicates it wasn't)..

Mmmmmm. Doesn't really sound like something he'd say. Way too tame. And yeah a mouthful.

Also not splitting hairs here. She definately dodged it. And he wasn't complimenting her.

Yeah, this sounds closest to what he is saying exactly. Unfortunately, this exact phrasing doesn't work that well in English (I think) and comes off as a bit awkward.

I think it works. Not really that weird. It's like saying "What are you, Einstein?".

Just need a bit of imagination/good voice actor.

Can someone help me with these two sentences? They are just way too weird for me to understand (basically, a fail shinto chant)

「こほん……はらったま、きよったま!エロイムエッサイム、悪霊退散っ!」
(Ahem...Oh God, dear God! Eloim Essaim(?), demon begone!)

「そんでもって、最後に急々如律令~っ、ついでに、ア~~メンッ!」

ワンタッチって言ったって、私が触らせてあげたのは制服だけっ = "When I say one touch, the only thing I let him touch was my uniform." = I dodged it.

The set up before hand was guy tried to touch her breasts, and got "one touch" in, prompting Sou to imaging touching her breasts. Which she realizes and gets embarassed and quickly explains the "one touch" is only on her uniform.

No, this isn't a past-tense sentence, she's talking about the protag, not the past incident. "Even if I let you have one touch, all I'd let you touch is my uniform." It's not about dodging, she's just saying that all she'd let him touch is her clothes, nothing more, if she even allowed him to do it in the first place. It's a hypothetical statement about limits. The 言ったって proposes a hypothetical time after she has said ワンタッチ, that's why the past-tense is used on 触らせてあげる. She's not talking about the same incident as earlier though, she's talking to/about the protag.

She was talking about being touched, and the MC starts imagining what it would be like, and then calls her chest lovely. She gets all in a tizzy as these girls always do after being complimented, and then comes back with the response that even if she gave one touch to the MC, she would only let him touch her clothes. Dodging doesn't come into it at all. Honestly just drop the whole 達人 part, it doesn't make any sense in English. The protag assumed 愛理 would let him touch her breasts, because he thinks she's a master of sexuality, and so he's surprised that she wouldn't let him and only let him touch her clothes, surprised that she would make a distinction on a millimetre scale and not just let him touch her. He thought she was looser than she's currently acting, basically. Asked a native and that's about the answer she gave me. But honestly if you can get across the point that the protag thought she would let him, and he's surprised she would make a millimetre distinction and not go all the way, then you'd done the job of that line, ignore the messy 達人 stuff.

No, this isn't a past-tense sentence, she's talking about the protag, not the past incident. "Even if I let you have one touch, all I'd let you touch is my uniform." It's not about dodging, she's just saying that all she'd let him touch is her clothes, nothing more, if she even allowed him to do it in the first place. It's a hypothetical statement about limits. The 言ったって proposes a hypothetical time after she has said ワンタッチ, that's why the past-tense is used on 触らせてあげる. She's not talking about the same incident as earlier though, she's talking to/about the protag.

She was talking about being touched, and the MC starts imagining what it would be like, and then calls her chest lovely. She gets all in a tizzy as these girls always do after being complimented, and then comes back with the response that even if she gave one touch to the MC, she would only let him touch her clothes. Dodging doesn't come into it at all. Honestly just drop the whole 達人 part, it doesn't make any sense in English. The protag assumed 愛理 would let him touch her breasts, because he thinks she's a master of sexuality, and so he's surprised that she wouldn't let him and only let him touch her clothes, surprised that she would make a distinction on a millimetre scale and not just let him touch her. He thought she was looser than she's currently acting, basically. Asked a native and that's about the answer she gave me. But honestly if you can get across the point that the protag thought she would let him, and he's surprised she would make a millimetre distinction and not go all the way, then you'd done the job of that line, ignore the messy 達人 stuff.

I've re-read the whole script carefully and I think I can see your point, though a thing or two don't add up in your interpretation. xD

ワンタッチって言ったって、私が触らせてあげたのは制服だけっ」

She's using past tense because she's still talking about the past incident, not some hypothetical time, but she IMPLIES that it would be as much she'd let him to do, too, so it doesn't change your interpretation (it would be ワンタッチって言ったって、私が触らせてあげられるのは制服だけっ if it was just hypothetical time).

It's clearly related to 「なんせ、この私の胸にワンタッチしたんだから!この乙女の可憐な胸によ!」

You could also interpret 奏 「そうか…って、おい!ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人かと思うだろ!」 as if he was talking about himself (You want me to touch your uniform without disturbing your breasts? Who do you think I am, a kung fu master?!) which flows a little bit better, but the そうか… pause kinda indicates that it takes a while for it to hit him which is probably him thinking about her feat. Interprenting this as if he was talking about himself makes the following lines of her being boastful and the god thing a bit too convoluted, so I guess Parallel Pain's interpretation is still closest to what's being said over there.

Hmm let's try to break the tension here, I need some help with something seemingly simple :P

同じのにしょうとしたの? 

Not sure what しょうとした means

Context:

Maki said Nico's hair smelled nice and asked what shampoo she was using

Nico: まきちゃんの家の同じメーカーのやつだから

Maki: ....同じのにしょうとしたの?

Nico: 同じのはにこの髪に合わないからできなかったの!

Hmm let's try to break the tension here, I need some help with something seemingly simple :P

同じのにしょうとしたの? 

Not sure what しょうとした means

Context:

Maki said Nico's hair smelled nice and asked what shampoo she was using

Nico: まきちゃんの家の同じメーカーのやつだから

Maki: ....同じのにしょうとしたの?

Nico: 同じのはにこの髪に合わないからできなかったの!

Hmm, I'd assume this is her way of saying 使用, maybe to emphasize that she speaks cute? I don't think I've seen it written like this before, though, but there is nothing else that could be said here, really.

EDIT: woops, it seems someone has already beaten me to this. xD

The One touch refers to the previous part of the conversation. 言ったって = 言ったというのは = "When I said..." = clause marking that she's going to clarify something.

Which means whatever explanation she's going to give now, it'd be about the last time she said ワンタッチ. Which means the previous occurrance.

She use 触らせてあげた because it already happened. If it was supposed to be hypothetical she would've attached a もし and used 触らせてあげる or 触らせてあげたら

The clafification she offers is to

「なんせ、この私の胸にワンタッチしたんだから!この乙女の可憐な胸によ!」

奏 「ワンタッチって…お前なら避けられただろう

愛理 「まぁね

...You guys have gone off the deep end now. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Can someone help me with these two sentences? They are just way too weird for me to understand (basically, a fail shinto chant)

「こほん……はらったま、きよったま!エロイムエッサイム、悪霊退散っ!」
(Ahem...Oh God, dear God! Eloim Essaim(?), demon begone!)

「そんでもって、最後に急々如律令~っ、ついでに、ア~~メンッ!」

...I think はらったま、きよったま is a variation on 祓いたまえ清めたまえ, be exorcised and purified. Searching around a bit, 急々如律令 (read きゅうきゅうにょりつりょう) is a phrase used by mediums to exorcise demons (apparently, it was originally a phrase used at the end of official documents in Han China saying "please act posthaste in accordance with the law"? *Shrug*). アメン is just "amen."

There's also a couple of references: はらったま、きよったま is a manga, while Eloim Essaim is from Akuma-kun (an old, popular manga and anime that never made it out of Japan in any form AFAIK), which in turn derives it from The Book of Black Magic by Arthur Edward Waite.

Hmm, I'd assume this is her way of saying 使用, maybe to emphasize that she speaks cute? I don't think I've seen it written like this before, though, but there is nothing else that could be said here, really.

EDIT: woops, it seems someone has already beaten me to this. xD

It's not 使用

The の in 同じのにしようとしたの because a shorthand for "repeat the previous noun" which is probably shampoo.

So it's 同じshampooにしようとしたの 

...I think はらったま、きよったま is a variation on 祓いたまえ清めたまえ, be exorcised and purified. Searching around a bit, 急々如律令 (read きゅうきゅうにょりつりょう) is a phrase used by mediums to exorcise demons (apparently, it was originally a phrase used at the end of official documents in Han China saying "please act posthaste in accordance with the law"? *Shrug*). アメン is just "amen."

There's also a couple of references: はらったま、きよったま is a manga, while Eloim Essaim is from Akuma-kun (an old, popular manga and anime that never made it out of Japan in any form AFAIK), which in turn derives it from The Book of Black Magic by Arthur Edward Waite.

So how should I translate the 2nd sentence? It's kinda like a mess of untranslatable chanting phrase.

It's not 使用

The の in 同じのにしようとしたの because a shorthand for "repeat the previous noun" which is probably shampoo.

Ah, right, lol, I have no idea why I hit that 漢字変換 button there. My brain got fried from the breast touching thing probably.

Show how should I translate the 2nd sentence? It's kinda like a mess of untranslatable chanting phrase.

It sounds like she's just desperately stringing together different incantations from as wide a source as possible. Actually she even says that "Let's end with xxxxxx, and just to add yyyyyyy"

So just string along a mess of incantations from as wide a source as you can find and would probably be known to a western audience.

Thing is, I don't even know any kind of incantation at all...

And I'm kinda want to translate it as close to the original as possible.

If you mean translating the actual incantations, I wouldn't as your audience wouldn't know what those are. The most I'd do is insert a common Japanese one that hopefully your reader has touched enough manga/anime/games to know what they are.

Here's something useful http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Hocus-Pocus-Alakazam-316253.html

Ah, いつの間にか it had been a serious and heated discussion. First, yeah, it's Sou. I just translated the kanji Kanade because it is the first thing I thought of the kanji.

For the discussion, thank you chuee-san, conjueror-san, dowolf-san, parallel pain-san, kelebek1-san. This is why translating Japanese to English is difficult. There are many times when you don't have the wording in Japanese to express an English saying and vice versa. Taking all opinions into account, I guess I'll take Parallel Pain-san translation. Is it okay, 皆さん?

This is why translating Japanese to English is difficult.

I think the issue here is that you failed to provide adequate context, even after it was requested numerous times. You also need to make sure the lines you provide don't have typos (like in the romaji you posted). Next time, please give as much context as possible to prevent this from happening in the future

I think the issue here is that you failed to provide adequate context, even after it was requested numerous times. You also need to make sure the lines you provide don't have typos (like in the romaji you posted). Next time, please give as much context as possible to prevent this from happening in the future

Ah, すみませんでした. The fact is that I don't have a stable internet connection on my room. And also I was caught up in finishing my school assignment for about five days. I didn't mean to ignore Parallel Pain-san's request of context lines.

About the typos of the romaji, once again すみませんでした. I din't realize it until it was pointed out.

I'll try to be more careful and thorough the next time I ask.