Japanese Help Thread

Can anyone help me with this? I haven't been able to get any further just looking at it on my own, So any help that anyone can provide will most likely be better than what I've got now

There is a water supply system installed here at Yadda Yadda Girls' Academy, and even hot water is made available using a pyroelectric mineral.

That being said, the system is not as thoroughly installed as it would be in Japan.  (Although the fact that the hot water comes out hot immediately might be considered more pleasant than in Japan.)

Therefore, the places inside the school that one can get water are more limited.

I need some help translating this 

俺はもう明太子の国で骨を埋めようと思う

Is that supposed to be an expression or something? The family is talking about moving away and the father says this. 

I think it means something like "I thought maybe I should just bury the bone at the county of roe."  But that sounded so random that I thought this might be an idiom for something or something.

I have no idea about the roe part, are you sure it isn't a proper place name?  The part about burying your bones somewhere is an expression.  If you're going to bury your bones somewhere, it means you plan on living in the place 'til you die, more or less.

There is a water supply system installed here at Yadda Yadda Girls' Academy, and even hot water is made available using a pyroelectric mineral.

That being said, the system is not as thoroughly installed as it would be in Japan.  (Although the fact that the hot water comes out hot immediately might be considered more pleasant than in Japan.)

Therefore, the places inside the school that one can get water are more limited.

I have no idea about the roe part, are you sure it isn't a proper place name?  The part about burying your bones somewhere is an expression.  If you're going to bury your bones somewhere, it means you plan on living in the place 'til you die, more or less.

Country of Roe seems to be what he is calling the city where he is going to like. I'm guessing the city is famous for it or something. But yeah I actually got more or less that after sitting on it for a few hours.

Ah thank you so much, looks like I made a mistake translating the middle sentence which caused me to think I had something wrong with the whole thing. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it

「重いって言ったら、承知しないわよ」

「If you ever tell me I'm heavy again, I'll kill you.」
...or.....
「If you ever tell me I'm heavy again, I won't be as forgiving next time.」

Are these translations accurate? The one above is the original translation, and the one below is my own translation. xDDD

「重いって言ったら、承知しないわよ」

...or.....

Are these translations accurate? The one above is the original translation, and the one below is my own translation. xDDD

Literally it's: If you tell me I'm heavy, I won't forgive you.

I don't know how the original translation got "I'll kill you" from.. so I guess my listening skills were right this time.

Thank you :3

Most likely it's because no one says "I won't forgive you" in casual conversation in english, whereas someone could quite easily say "I'll kill you" as an exaggerated way of saying she doesn't want someone to do something, which is precisely what that expression in japanese really means. therefore since they mean the same thing, I think it's quite reasonable to go with "I'll kill you" since that sounds less awkward

「重いって言ったら、承知しないわよ」

...or.....

I don't get why either translation has "again," but maybe that's just a context issue. Also, both lines pretty much say the exact same thing in essence, so I don't even know what you are trying to ask.

Context: 

Saginomori-sensei:「確か……これはもっと先の話になるけど、1563年にルイス・フロイスというカトリックの宣教師が来るんだ」

Saginomori-sensei:「彼が書き残した“日本史”には『日本の女性は男性と平等で、自由に過ごしている』という旨の記述がみられる」

Palamidi-san:「では、女の人にしたら昔の方が暮らしやすかったってことですか?」

Line i need help with:
Saginomori-sensei: 「いや、それはどうだろうね……あー、女の子しかいない場所でこういうこと言うのはどうかと思うけど……」
This is a fairlly simple sentence, but for whatever reason, it's just not clicking, especially not in context

Line afterwords in case that helps:
Saginomori-sensei:「御成敗式目の中には“歩いている女性に乱暴をしちゃいけない”っていう定めもあるからね」

thank you in advance for any help you can provide

No, that's not necessarily the case. Ah, although if it was a place with only women then I'm not so sure but...... 

御成敗式目の中には“歩いている女性に乱暴をしちゃいけない”っていう定めもあるからね」
There does exist a law in the 御成敗式目 that says "You may not assault women who are walking". [i'm sure that law could be translated better somehow] 

No, that's not necessarily the case. Ah, although if it was a place with only women then I'm not so sure but...... 

There does exist a law in the 御成敗式目 that says "You may not assault women who are walking". [i'm sure that law could be translated better somehow] 

That's a bit off. It's more saying:

"Well, I wonder about what... Ah, I'm not sure if I should be saying this in a place where there are only girls, but..."

「まぁ、備えあれば憂いなしと言する程度の自衛手段は必要かもせんね」

Hey,it's me again,don't worry it's not a chant this time.

まあ=ah

備えあれば憂いなしis a phrase.it means if i had prepared all thing well we can not be worried

自衛手段:Defense

I don't get why either translation has "again," but maybe that's just a context issue. Also, both lines pretty much say the exact same thing in essence, so I don't even know what you are trying to ask.

「重いって言ったら、承知しないわよ」

I think it means if you don't emphasize it they wouldn't know it

まあ=ah

備えあれば憂いなしis a phrase.it means if i had prepared all thing well we can not be worried

自衛手段:Defense

What's the point of replying to a post in January? Also, defining words does not really help that much - anyone can use a dictionary. Appreciate the effort, though.

P.S. - All three of those are wrong.

まあ = "Well..."

備えあれば憂いなし = "Better safe than sorry"

自衛手段 = "Self-defense measures"

What's the point of replying to a post in January? Also, defining words does not really help that much - anyone can use a dictionary. Appreciate the effort, though.

P.S. - All three of those are wrong.

まあ = "Well..."

備えあれば憂いなし = "Better safe than sorry"

自衛手段 = "Self-defense measures"

まあ、英語が苦手のオレに対して、確か君の解釈の方かいいかもしれん

it means my English is poor :(

まあ、英語が苦手のオレに対して、確か君の解釈の方かいいかもしれん

it means my English is poor :(

いや、そういう問題じゃないけどさ。。。

俺の言わんとしていることは、ポス主も誰も辞書使えるから一言だけ翻訳してもあんま役に立たないんだろう。

That's kind of what I thought it said too, but that doesn't really make sense in the context

That's a bit off. It's more saying:

"Well, I wonder about what... Ah, I'm not sure if I should be saying this in a place where there are only girls, but..."

Ahhhhh okay, now that makes sense. Looking back at the sentence with that translation in mind makes it seem obvious to me too... ah well, thanks again for your help

Um, can somebody translate this part for me? They're some sentences that were left out when extracting the scripts... Thank you!

小百合
「あっ、そう言えば…… 『2人のお尻が冷えないように』って……」
月子
「もしかして毛糸のパンツですか?」
小百合
「ええ、編み方を教えてって言って来た あの時の錫也の真剣な目は、今でも忘れられないわ、ふふ」
月子
「そうだったんですね。 すごくよくできていたから気づかなかったです」

Anyone who is having trouble learning kanji should check out this site:

http://kanjidamage.com/

It's not a perfect system, but it's a hell of a lot easier to remember and a much more logical progression than any textbook or other site will give you. The writer's language is pretty coarse and he uses a lot of Yo Mama jokes as mnemonics, but if you can look past that it is a super useful system. I was pretty much stuck in my kanji studies, forgetting as many as I learned, until I found this place. Now I can easily recall the meanings of kanji and even how to write them. It's given me a huge boost in a short period of time, and I imagine if I give it a full year or so I'll easily have all 1,300 kanji on the site memorized.

Um, can somebody translate this part for me? They're some sentences that were left out when extracting the scripts... Thank you!

Sayuri

"Ah, speaking of which... he gave me these and said, 'these are so your asses don't freeze off'..."

Tsukiko

"Don't tell me, are these wool underpants?"

Sayuri

"Yeah, Suzuya said he'd teach me how to knit them. Even now, I still can't forget the serious look he had on his face as he said that. Fufu."

Tsukiko

"So that's how it went. These are so well-made, I didn't even notice." (Need context)

All in all, you pretty much provided no context, so this is all I can do for you. Also, this conversation is ridiculous.

Anyone who is having trouble learning kanji should check out this site:

http://kanjidamage.com/

It's not a perfect system, but it's a hell of a lot easier to remember and a much more logical progression than any textbook or other site will give you. The writer's language is pretty coarse and he uses a lot of Yo Mama jokes as mnemonics, but if you can look past that it is a super useful system. I was pretty much stuck in my kanji studies, forgetting as many as I learned, until I found this place. Now I can easily recall the meanings of kanji and even how to write them. It's given me a huge boost in a short period of time, and I imagine if I give it a full year or so I'll easily have all 1,300 kanji on the site memorized.

Appreciate the thought, but not the right place to post this.

By the time I returned from the washroom ('senmenshitsu' is basically a room connected to the room with the bath/shower as well as another room for the toilet, which contains the faucet for washing the face, brushing teeth, and shaving) the water had been brought to a boil.

And then, I took the cup and pot I unpacked only the previous day and poured hot water into them, soaking them, threw the warmed water away, put the tea leaves in the pot, then poured the boiling water in, stirred it lightly, then waited for a short time. 

Basically, this describes one of the traditional processes for properly making tea with leaves rather than a pack.  Warming the cup and pot with some of the hot water in advance is part of the process, making the actual steeping of the tea more even and thus bringing out the flavor of the tea more.  Doing so for the cup also lessens the possibility it will crack from heat differences (to a lesser extent, that is also the case with the pot). 

Can someone help me out a little? Might any of you be familiar with the word 腐れ縁 (くされえん)

I've dug a little, and found that it translates to something along the lines of an inseparable bond, a horrible relationship, or something along those lines, and there's a sort of negativity in it. However, I can't think of how to express it in English. Here's some of the lines.

お隣で、くされ縁の。
くされ縁じゃなくって、幼なじみ。

The character in question are those ”いつもお前のそばにいって" those childhood friends who always help you out, the girls who are like an old woman, nagging at you yet caring for you, well perhaps a search for "kusareen" might yield you some better descriptions.

Well what I need help with, is find a suitable English substitute, keeping the negative connotation and other underlying meanings in this context. I thank you in advance for any help rendered.

We're neighbors, and reluctantly joined at the hip.

Er, not joined at the hip, rather, childhood friends.

---

Hmm, this might work.

This might actually be the closest I can get. Might there be some other word though, something with a little more negativity? She was kinda pissed when the MC used that word, so might there be something else? Well in any case, this will do, thanks!

Alright so I need help with this. The context is that the MC Saginomori-sensei invited Werfen-sensei to join him on supervising the school camping trip but since he was vague with how he asked, she ended up believing it was going to be a big group orgy basically. Anyway, she eventually figured out it was a school camping trip but the MC never found out what she thought it was going to be, though he does know that she didn't realize it was a camping trip, so he was surprised to find out that she had a bathing suit. When he asks her about it, she says the following, but reads "" as "ra" instead of "hadaka" which is what causes the MC's confusion. How can I express this in english?

Werfen-sensei:「これはあの、一応、見る方にも礼儀があったりして、裸になる場合があった場合、これで許してもらえないかと思いまして一応……その、一応」

Saginomori-sensei:「ら?“ら”が恥ずかしいってなんですか?」

As always, any help you can provide is greatly appreciated