Japanese Help Thread

Awesome! Thanks

Another question.

洗面室からリビングに戻った頃には、丁度お湯が沸いていた。

そして、昨日荷解きしたばかりのカップとポットを取り出し、お湯を注いで湯通し。

温まったらお湯を捨て、茶葉をポットに。

そこへ沸騰したお湯を注いで軽く混ぜて、少し待つ。

So I can tell this paragraph is just describing making tea, but I'm having trouble working the exact steps he did. This word in particular is giving me trouble: "湯通し"

When I returned from the washroom to the living room, the water had just finished boiling.

And then, taking out the cup and teapot I just unpacked yesterday, I pour in the hot water to blanch the tea.

After warming the tea leaves for a few seconds, I discard the hot water and deposit the leaves into the teapot.

From there, I lightly mix the tea with some more hot water. All that's left now is to wait.

When I returned from the washroom to the living room, the water had just finished boiling.

And then, taking out the cup and teapot I just unpacked yesterday, I pour in the hot water to blanch the tea.

After warming the tea leaves for a few seconds, I discard the hot water and deposit the leaves into the teapot.

From there, I lightly mix the tea with some more hot water. All that's left now is to wait.

Ahh okay, thanks. Looks like that was actually really simple. I think I was just getting thrown off by that "blanch". Once again, thanks for your timely help

Ahh okay, thanks. Looks like that was actually really simple. I think I was just getting thrown off by that "blanch". Once again, thanks for your timely help

Yup. I'd also very much appreciate it if you 'liked' my posts if I helped. Thanks

Yup. I'd also very much appreciate it if you 'liked' my posts if I helped. Thanks

done

And, new question:

憑き物が落ちたっていうのは、こういう時に使うのかな。

what is this sentence talking about? Summoning evil spirits?

Also, different question: how should I translate this pun on 萌える/燃える?

「わかりました、わかりました!わかりましたから、そんな潤んだ瞳で見ないで下さいよ……萌えるじゃないですか」

「も、燃える?」

done

And, new question:

憑き物が落ちたっていうのは、こういう時に使うのかな。

what is this sentence talking about? Summoning evil spirits?

Also, different question: how should I translate this pun on 萌える/燃える?

「わかりました、わかりました!わかりましたから、そんな潤んだ瞳で見ないで下さいよ……萌えるじゃないですか」

「も、燃える?」

憑き物が落ちる is an expression. It kind of means "a load off [someone's] mind". The line is asking whether it'd be the correct situation to use that expression.

"My heart is on fire" - or something to that extent. It's easier to tweak the first line instead of the second.

憑き物が落ちる is an expression. It kind of means "a load off [someone's] mind". The line is asking whether it'd be the correct situation to use that expression.

"My heart is on fire" - or something to that extent. It's easier to tweak the first line instead of the second.

Ahhhhh okay that makes sense, lol. thanks.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I think I'll go with that. 

Thanks, your response was as helpful as always :)

Alright so I need a little bit of help with this sentence:

「その点に関しては、異論はありません。ですが、ワタクシの心はその家族愛だけでは埋められなかったのです!」

The sentence before it was:

「心配だったんでしょ?いいご両親だね」

I'm not quite sure what it's trying to say. I thought maybe something along the lines of: "They weren't really worried about that, it's just that I wouldn't be able to be smothered in their love" but I'm not sure

Alright so I need a little bit of help with this sentence:

「その点に関しては、異論はありません。ですが、ワタクシの心はその家族愛だけでは埋められなかったのです!」

The sentence before it was:

「心配だったんでしょ?いいご両親だね」

I'm not quite sure what it's trying to say. I thought maybe something along the lines of: "They weren't really worried about that, it's just that I wouldn't be able to be smothered in their love" but I'm not sure

"I have no objections regarding that. However, my heart could not be filled merely by familial love!"

For future reference, more context is better than a little. Keep in mind that Japanese is a very context-heavy language, so providing only one line is pretty unreasonable.

On a side note, this might be a little late in the game, but you may want to start with an easier VN. I admit that this particular game is a one of the more challenging reads out of all of Yuzusoft's games, but most of these lines are honestly pretty basic structure-wise. You might want to start out with the non-scifi titles.

small help please kindly translate this..

そのエレガントなアクセサリーは

キャラクターカスタマイズで、

つけてみてちょうだい

あ~ら、もう行っちゃうのぉ

また来てねぇ~、待ってるわよ~

あら、すでに持っているみたいよ

やあ、よく来たね

ショップへようこそ

ここには色々なアクセサリーがある

好きなものを選んで買ってほしい

どういったアクセサリーが欲しいんだい?

選んでくれ

買いたいアクセサリーを選んでください

Please select the accessory you want to buy.

選んでくれないか

だね

本当にそれでいいのかい?

すまないが、

ポイントが足らないようだね

ポイントをしっかりためてから

買うようにしてくれ

ありがとう

買ったアクセサリーは

キャラクターカスタマイズで、

つけてみてくれないか

ありがとう

また来てくれるかい

すでに持っているようだね

"I have no objections regarding that. However, my heart could not be filled merely by familial love!"

For future reference, more context is better than a little. Keep in mind that Japanese is a very context-heavy language, so providing only one line is pretty unreasonable.

On a side note, this might be a little late in the game, but you may want to start with an easier VN. I admit that this particular game is a one of the more challenging reads out of all of Yuzusoft's games, but most of these lines are honestly pretty basic structure-wise. You might want to start out with the non-scifi titles.

Ah okay, thanks. That makes complete sense with the context (which, looking back at my post, I definitely didn't give enough of). also, you're probably right that I shouldn't have asked about that sentence. It was pretty basic. I think I must have been tired when I marked that line for posting on here (I mark lines that I don't get for my self and then paste them up here later and then move on with the translation)

Also, about context: I'll be sure to include more in the future, sorry about that.

I am well aware that my japanese isn't quite up to where it should be to do this game, but I'm translating this purely because I really want to play this game, and I got tired of waiting for a group to pick the title up. My plan is, that as I play the game myself, I'll translate each line (since I would have to do it in my head anyway) and write it down. If, by the time I'm finished with the game, no one more qualified has picked it up, then I'll go about forming a proper team with editor's, TL checkers, etc. If someone picks it up then I'll simply stop playing and wait for them to complete the game (in fact, this is the best case scenario. I would love nothing more than for someone else to pick this game up). I might ask them if they wanted what I had done so far, in case they thought they could use it, though

Thus, there isn't any point to doing a different game. So while I honestly do appreciate the sentiment behind your advice, I simply wouldn't have the motivation to follow through with any game but this one.

However on that note, I am enjoying the game immensely so far. Yuzusoft looks like it may become one of my favorite VN companies

Ah okay, thanks. That makes complete sense with the context (which, looking back at my post, I definitely didn't give enough of). also, you're probably right that I shouldn't have asked about that sentence. It was pretty basic. I think I must have been tired when I marked that line for posting on here (I mark lines that I don't get for my self and then paste them up here later and then move on with the translation)

Also, about context: I'll be sure to include more in the future, sorry about that.

I am well aware that my japanese isn't quite up to where it should be to do this game, but I'm translating this purely because I really want to play this game, and I got tired of waiting for a group to pick the title up. My plan is, that as I play the game myself, I'll translate each line (since I would have to do it in my head anyway) and write it down. If, by the time I'm finished with the game, no one more qualified has picked it up, then I'll go about forming a proper team with editor's, TL checkers, etc. If someone picks it up then I'll simply stop playing and wait for them to complete the game (in fact, this is the best case scenario. I would love nothing more than for someone else to pick this game up). I might ask them if they wanted what I had done so far, in case they thought they could use it, though

Thus, there isn't any point to doing a different game. So while I honestly do appreciate the sentiment behind your advice, I simply wouldn't have the motivation to follow through with any game but this one.

However on that note, I am enjoying the game immensely so far. Yuzusoft looks like it may become one of my favorite VN companies

That's understandable. Yeah, Yuzusoft makes some pretty good games.

small help please kindly translate this..

そのエレガントなアクセサリーは

You can try on

キャラクターカスタマイズで、

those elegant accessories

つけてみてちょうだい

in the character customization menu.

あ~ら、もう行っちゃうのぉ

Oh~? Are you leaving already?

また来てねぇ~、待ってるわよ~

Please come again~ I'll be waiting~

あら、すでに持っているみたいよ

Oh? Looks like you already have that.

やあ、よく来たね

Hey! I'm glad to see you / Welcome.

ショップへようこそ

Welcome to my shop.

ここには色々なアクセサリーがある

We have lots of different accessories here.

好きなものを選んで買ってほしい

Buy whatever you like.

どういったアクセサリーが欲しいんだい?

What kind of accessory did you say you were looking for?

選んでくれ

Take your pick.

買いたいアクセサリーを選んでください

Please pick an accessory you want to buy.

選んでくれないか

Won't you take a look?

だね

I'll bet.

本当にそれでいいのかい?

Are you sure that's the one you want?

すまないが、

I'm sorry, but

ポイントが足らないようだね

it seems like you do not have enough points for that.

ポイントをしっかりためてから

Please come back

買うようにしてくれ

after you've collected some points.

ありがとう

Thanks

買ったアクセサリーは

Why don't you try on

キャラクターカスタマイズで、

the accessory you just bought

つけてみてくれないか

in the character customization screen?

ありがとう

Thanks

また来てくれるかい

You gonna come again?

すでに持っているようだね

It seems like you already have that.

Alright so here's the context:

Saginomori-sensei:「へぇー、これは凄い」

Werfen-sesnei:「どうされたんですか、鷺ノ森先生」

Saginomori-sensei:「さっき言ったテストの採点をしてたんですが……みんな凄いですね。ちょっと侮ってましたよ」

Werfen-sesnei:「どんな問題を出されたんですか?」

Saginomori-sensei:「世界史と日本史、近代史をそれぞれ全般的に。レベルを計るためのテストですからね」

Saginomori-sensei:「ボクとしては平均正解率が半分ぐらいかと思ったんですが……まさか、8割近いとは思いませんでしたよ」

What I need help with are the two lines that come after that:

Saginomori-sensei:「もしかして、かなり偏差値が高いんですか?」

Werfen-sesnei:「どうでしょうか……その手の数値はよくわからないので」

Alright so here's the context:

「へぇー、これは凄い」

「どうされたんですか、鷺ノ森先生」

「さっき言ったテストの採点をしてたんですが……みんな凄いですね。ちょっと侮ってましたよ」

「どんな問題を出されたんですか?」

「世界史と日本史、近代史をそれぞれ全般的に。レベルを計るためのテストですからね」

「ボクとしては平均正解率が半分ぐらいかと思ったんですが……まさか、8割近いとは思いませんでしたよ」

What I need help with are the two lines that come after that:

「もしかして、かなり偏差値が高いんですか?」

「どうでしょうか……その手の数値はよくわからないので」

"Does that mean the average score is quite high?"

"Well since you don't understand (the numbers)... How should I put this?

And when I asked for context, I meant background info as well - not just lines. I have no idea what the scene is about, or who's talking.

"Does that mean the average score is quite high?"

"Well since you don't understand (the numbers)... How should I put this?

And when I asked for context, I meant background info as well - not just lines. I have no idea what the scene is about, or who's talking.

really? I had thought that's what it said, but that seems like such an obvious thing to state I thought it might have been implying something I wasn't getting.

About context: Okay, I'll include a short summary of past events as well as who's saying what next time, Also, i edited my post to include who was speaking

really? I had thought that's what it said, but that seems like such an obvious thing to state I thought it might have been implying something I wasn't getting.

偏差値 = English "Z-score", a statistical term that many people would be unfamiliar with (including me, I looked it up on JP wikipedia)

偏差値 = English "Z-score", a statistical term that many people would be unfamiliar with (including me, I looked it up on JP wikipedia)

Ahh okay, if that term refers more specifically to "z-score" in japanese than just "average" then that makes a lot more sense, especially with Werfen-sensei's reply. I wasn't familiar with 偏差値 and when I looked it up, my dictionary just had average.

Yes, but I'd advise against using words no one knows in a translation of any game, unless it's unavoidable to do so.

Yes, but I'd advise against using words no one knows in a translation of any game, unless it's unavoidable to do so.

That's true, but I think in this case, it's necessary, since he's specifically referring to it, and his statement doesn't make much sense without it

just a small question. Would "my tummy's rumbling" be too cutesy of a translation for もうお腹ペコペコ? the character talking usual speaks in a fairly cutesy way, I'm just not sure if "my tummy's rumbling" is overdoing the cuteness or not.

That's true, but I think in this case, it's necessary, since he's specifically referring to it, and his statement doesn't make much sense without it

just a small question. Would "my tummy's rumbling" be too cutesy of a translation for もうお腹ペコペコ? the character talking usual speaks in a fairly cutesy way, I'm just not sure if "my tummy's rumbling" is overdoing the cuteness or not.

It's up to the translator. Personally, I would never use that phrase - and that is not an issue with it being 'cutesy' or not.

It sounds weird and awkward.

well, it's certainly not something anyone would say if they were a serious person, but I've definitely heard people say it when they are trying to be cute. But I decided against it anyway, since I don't like the phrase anymore than you do and I haven't been going out of my way to make her sound cutesy up until now so I can't suddenly start now, unless i want to go back and re-do all her lines, which I don't

Another question, and once again, it's about tea:

顔を洗い、服を着替えたボクは、ここに来た初日と同じように、カップとポットに熱いお湯を注ぎ込む。

そして十分に温まったら、中のお湯を捨てる。

Saginomori:「うーん……最初だし、やっぱりクセが少ない方がいいかな。キャンディにしておこう」

茶葉の缶を開けて、茶葉を取り出す。

In this sentence:

そして十分に温まったら、中のお湯を捨てる。

what warmed up? is it the teacup? It's not the tea leaves, because he doesn't take them out until two lines later

Also, what does this part of the 3rd sentence mean:

最初だし、やっぱりクセが少ない方がいいかな。

What I've got for this is:

"Since this is the beginning (or first time or something like that), it's better not to have very many habits"

But that doesn't really make any sense. Unless he's implying that he's going to be doing this frequently, so he doesn't want to have very much stuff at the tea party in order to avoid setting a precedent that's hard to live up to.

Question 2:

Situation: Saginomori-sensei is teaching social studies to a class

The lines before:

Saginomori-sensei:「ライゼルグの政治は日本とは違って、君主が存在しない」

Saginomori-sensei:「まず最初に議会議員の採用試験が行われ、その試験をパスした人たちが選挙によってさらに選出されて、定員85人の議会が存在し、任期は6年」

Saginomori-sensei:「議会の代表者は、議会議員の互選によって選出される」

The lines I need help with:

Saginomori-sensei:「これは共和制と呼ばれている制度でね、これに対し日本は立憲君主制と政府は言っている。立憲君主制についてはライゼルグの反対といえばわかるかな?」

Fran:「法律によって定められた君主が存在する政治形態ですね」