Japanese Help Thread

If someone wants to help me, I am having a hard time translating a name for a coffee shop. The name is 和甘味と軽食・甘露亭

I translated it to look like this, Japanese Sweets and Snacks・Sweetness Restaurant. But I don't like the way it sounds. It  could be just me but if it isn't I would like to know, thanks.

Edit:Now that I look at it, I believe it's a play on words.

"Japanese Sweets and Snacks・Sweet Cafe", Wow.that looks a lot better. 

Japanese Sugary Confectionery Sweets Cafe

No, rski100's way is closer.

And I hope y'all have considered the possibility that 甘露亭 is a proper name

Come on, don't do this to me Zoom909. I hate translating names to begin with, and now your saying it's a name inside of another one. had to make my life difficult. Huh...I'm just joking, and I'll check if it's a name. (P.S. I wanted you to know i liked your quote just because you said I was closer.)  And thanks to everyone for putting effort into this ludicrous name.

Come on, don't do this to me Zoom909. I hate translating names to begin with, and now your saying it's a name inside of another one. had to make my life difficult. Huh...I'm just joking, and I'll check if it's a name. (P.S. I wanted you to know i liked your quote just because you said I was closer.)  And thanks to everyone for putting effort into this ludicrous name.

I own a restaurant called "Bargain Steakhouse Zoom909", and darn it, people better not translate the "Zoom909" part when I open franchises of it in Japan.

So in Amairo Islenauts, the main character is on the phone with his old professor (very beginning of the game) and he is asking the protag to accept a teaching job on the floating island:

『君に断られると、頼んできた知人に会わす顔がありません。私の面目を保つために、なんていうのでも構いませんよ』

I'm not really sure what the first sentence Is trying to say. At first I had 

"If you refuse, I don’t think I’ll be able to face the acquaintance who begged me to help him" but looking at the second sentence, that doesn't seem right. so If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

So in Amairo Islenauts, the main character is on the phone with his old professor (very beginning of the game) and he is asking the protag to accept a teaching job on the floating island:

『君に断られると、頼んできた知人に会わす顔がありません。私の面目を保つために、なんていうのでも構いませんよ』

I'm not really sure what the first sentence Is trying to say. At first I had 

"If you refuse, I don’t think I’ll be able to face the acquaintance who begged me to help him" but looking at the second sentence, that doesn't seem right. so If anyone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, my interpretation of the 1st sentence is basically the same as yours.  And the second is like "I'll do anything I have to to save face"... So is there a conflict here?  What's the rest of the phone conversation look like?

Hi, my interpretation of the 1st sentence is basically the same as yours.  And the second is like "I'll do anything I have to to save face"... So is there a conflict here?  What's the rest of the phone conversation look like?

Ah you're right. For some reason I thought the second sentence said something more like "I don't really care about saving face". It's just that the protag seems thankful and impressed by this so I'm wondering if maybe this doesn't sound as petty as it does in english? Is there any way I could make this sound nice? For I'm sticking with "... and I'd really like to avoid losing face" so it flows better with the rest of the conversation. 

Would it be possible to get help with another sentence? 

The main character is thinking about the elevator that connects the floating island to mainland japan:

日本の技術力の向上と、諸外国へのアピールもあって、政府も力を入れているらしく、安全性はかなり高いと評判だ。そうして日本と繋がることにより、世界の人々にも受け入れられていくことに、そう時間はかからなかった。

I'm not entirely sure what to make of these few sentences. Right now I've got: 

"Using the growth of Japan’s technological strength to appeal to other countries for help, the government put a lot of effort into this elevator, thus it’s quite famous for being incredibly safe.Thus, rather than just connecting itself to Japan, Raizalg (how I'm translating 'ライゼルグ' which is the name of the island) has accepted the entire world."

which I got by trying to twist it around to make it make sense, but I might simply be misunderstanding some part of it, which is why it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, thank you for helping me with this. I'm translating this to help me improve my Japanese so your help is greatly appreciated.

Ah you're right. For some reason I thought the second sentence said something more like "I don't really care about saving face". It's just that the protag seems thankful and impressed by this so I'm wondering if maybe this doesn't sound as petty as it does in english? Is there any way I could make this sound nice? For I'm sticking with "... and I'd really like to avoid losing face" so it flows better with the rest of the conversation. 

The main character is thinking about the elevator that connects the floating island to mainland japan:

日本の技術力の向上と、諸外国へのアピールもあって、政府も力を入れているらしく、安全性はかなり高いと評判だ。そうして日本と繋がることにより、世界の人々にも受け入れられていくことに、そう時間はかからなかった。

"Using the growth of Japan’s technological strength to appeal to other countries for help, the government put a lot of effort into this elevator, thus it’s quite famous for being incredibly safe.Thus, rather than just connecting itself to Japan, Raizalg (how I'm translating 'ライゼルグ' which is the name of the island) has accepted the entire world."

which I got by trying to twist it around to make it make sense, but I might simply be misunderstanding some part of it, which is why it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, thank you for helping me with this. I'm translating this to help me improve my Japanese so your help is greatly appreciated.

About the first part, w/o knowing the rest of the conv. I leave it to you "how to put it", or whether the guy's sense of honor is a little too strong.

About the second part, hmm, it's a little hard for me to put into English as well.  The first sentence seems ok to me the way you did it.  On the second one, it appears to me to be this way:  Once the island was connected to Japan, in no time they were also accepting people from around the world.  Which I guess is basically the same thing you said.

About the first part, w/o knowing the rest of the conv. I leave it to you "how to put it", or whether the guy's sense of honor is a little too strong.

About the second part, hmm, it's a little hard for me to put into English as well.  The first sentence seems ok to me the way you did it.  On the second one, it appears to me to be this way:  Once the island was connected to Japan, in no time they were also accepting people from around the world.  Which I guess is basically the same thing you said.

Thanks so much for your help. I think your version is a little clearer, thanks!

How would you recommend translating this shop name:『牙と爪の獣亭』

I've got "The Beast of the Tooth and Claw Pavilion". But that's a bit long and unwieldy. It's supposed to sound like a bar or weapon shop from like a classic fantasy RPG

No, rski100's way is closer.

And I hope y'all have considered the possibility that 甘露亭 is a proper name

Well it'd help if you told me the reading of the kanji, but 甘露亭 could be 当て字 forあまたwhich is a homonym for 数多 - but honestly, I see no pun like you suggest.

I played Amairo Islenauts - it was a great game. You seem to be getting the general meaning, but there are some parts that do not seem to be correct. The part about the government is not connected to the first part of the sentence - they are two separate clauses both describing the elevator.

日本の技術力の向上と、諸外国へのアピールもあって = The elevator has Japan's latest technology, and the elevator itself appeals (as a landmark) to many foreign countries.

政府も力を入れているらしく、安全性はかなり高いと評判だ = People say that the government seems to have put a lot of effort into making it safe.

そうして日本と繋がることにより、世界の人々にも受け入れられていくことに、そう時間はかからなかった。= And by connecting it to Japan, it came to accept various people around the world in no time.

How would you recommend translating this shop name:『牙と爪の獣亭』

I've got "The Beast of the Tooth and Claw Pavilion". But that's a bit long and unwieldy. It's supposed to sound like a bar or weapon shop from like a classic fantasy RPG

The last time I checked, the place was less of a pavilion and more of an inn/bar. 

EDIT: I just checked the character page, and the place indeed is a tavern/bar.

[NSFW] http://yuzu-soft.com/ja/post/5692/%E7%9C%9F%E5%92%B2+%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4+%E3%83%AB.html

I played Amairo Islenauts - it was a great game. You seem to be getting the general meaning, but there are some parts that do not seem to be correct. The part about the government is not connected to the first part of the sentence - they are two separate clauses both describing the elevator.

日本の技術力の向上と、諸外国へのアピールもあって = The elevator has Japan's latest technology, and the elevator itself appeals (as a landmark) to many foreign countries.

政府も力を入れているらしく、安全性はかなり高いと評判だ = People say that the government seems to have put a lot of effort into making it safe.

そうして日本と繋がることにより、世界の人々にも受け入れられていくことに、そう時間はかからなかった。= And by connecting it to Japan, it came to accept various people around the world in no time.

The last time I checked, the place was less of a pavilion and more of an inn/bar. 

EDIT: I just checked the character page, and the place indeed is a tavern/bar.

[NSFW] http://yuzu-soft.com/ja/post/5692/%E7%9C%9F%E5%92%B2+%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4+%E3%83%AB.html

On the elevator line: Ah, of course! that makes significantly more sense than what I had :D

On the Bar: so, other than making sure to translate that as 'bar' instead of 'pavilion', it's good the way it is? 'The Beast of the Tooth and Claw Bar' just sounds so awkward...

On the elevator line: Ah, of course! that makes significantly more sense than what I had :D

On the Bar: so, other than making sure to translate that as 'bar' instead of 'pavilion', it's good the way it is? 'The Beast of the Tooth and Claw Bar' just sounds so awkward...

Of course, you do not have to have "Bar" or "Tavern" in the name. "牙と爪" is pretty redundant, as it describes 獣 (I also don't see how you could fit that into a name).

These are all just off the top of my head, but some examples are: "The Beast Den", "The Hungry Beast", "Beast Fang Tavern", etc.

It's better for names to sound good in English than to be literally translated. Just go with something like "The Fanged Beast Bar."

Of course, you do not have to have "Bar" or "Tavern" in the name. "牙と爪" is pretty redundant, as it describes 獣 (I also don't see how you could fit that into a name).

These are all just off the top of my head, but some examples are: "The Beast Den", "The Hungry Beast", "Beast Fang Tavern", etc.

thanks for the suggestions guys and you're right, I suppose it matters more how it sounds in English for names of places. I'll give it some thought and come up with something. 

Another question (if you guys haven't gotten tired of answering my questions yet)

How could you use わふわふ in relation to food? I'm normally not too bad with onomatopoeia but I don't really see how this relates to food. As far as I know, it means something kinda like snuggly? can food be snuggly?

In case it helps, the full sentence is, "わぉん!美味しいよ!ドーナツの軽い食感と爽やかな甘さ、そしてこのわふわふした感じがなんとも言えない!"

I know that this is the whole point of this thread but still, you guys have been extremely helpful, so thank you :)

How could you use わふわふ in relation to food? I'm normally not too bad with onomatopoeia but I don't really see how this relates to food. As far as I know, it means something kinda like snuggly? can food be snuggly?

In case it helps, the full sentence is, "わぉん!美味しいよ!ドーナツの軽い食感と爽やかな甘さ、そしてこのわふわふした感じがなんとも言えない!"

Wafu is the sound a dog supposedly makes when it's happy or excited. It's basically saying the donuts are giving her an inexplicable happy sensation.

Wafu is the sound a dog supposedly makes when it's happy or excited. It's basically saying the donuts are giving her an inexplicable happy sensation.

Ah, okay, guess i was I little off with the whole "snuggly" thing. Thanks

That's all for now, but don't get too used to the quiet since I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a lot more in the future XD

Edit: And, no sooner had I said that that I'm back with another question

So, this sentence is tripping me up a little. 

学園を乱立させなきゃいけないほど広大というわけじゃない。

What I've got right now is:

It’s not big enough to be flooded with schools.

but I'm really not sure how right that is. Once again, apologies for being bothersome and thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide

Ah, okay, guess i was I little off with the whole "snuggly" thing. Thanks

That's all for now, but don't get too used to the quiet since I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a lot more in the future XD

Edit: And, no sooner had I said that that I'm back with another question

So, this sentence is tripping me up a little. 

学園を乱立させなきゃいけないほど広大というわけじゃない。

What I've got right now is:

It’s not big enough to be flooded with schools.

but I'm really not sure how right that is. Once again, apologies for being bothersome and thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide

Don't worry about it - that's what this thread is for.

As for the line, you pretty much have it. 乱立[させ] is causative and basically means something is being done to someone or something else. きゃいけない is short for ければいけない, so it should be more like... "It's not big enough to need to be...". I don't know the context, but it sounds like the speaker might be using 広大 to describe the land, but in a sense be referring to the community...? (If that makes sense).

Don't worry about it - that's what this thread is for.

As for the line, you pretty much have it. 乱立[させ] is causative and basically means something is being done to someone or something else. きゃいけない is short for ければいけない, so it should be more like... "It's not big enough to need to be...". I don't know the context, but it sounds like the speaker might be using 広大 to describe the land, but in a sense be referring to the community...? (If that makes sense).

So it's sort of more like "This island isn't big enough to justify being flooded with schools"?

or maybe, "This island isn't big enough to need too many schools"?

I think I've got the meaning down now, I just need to find the right way to phrase it in English. I can probably figure something out on my own, thanks for the advice.

Alright, question time!!

so here's the sentence:

聞きなれない音の次は、見慣れぬ姿の女の子。

I'm not really sure what this sentence is trying to say.

the situation is that he has just walked into the classroom and heard the shutter sound of a camera-phone

Screenshot (slightly NSFW):

8lWnoBn.png

So it's sort of more like "This island isn't big enough to justify being flooded with schools"?

or maybe, "This island isn't big enough to need too many schools"?

I think I've got the meaning down now, I just need to find the right way to phrase it in English. I can probably figure something out on my own, thanks for the advice.

Alright, question time!!

so here's the sentence:

聞きなれない音の次は、見慣れぬ姿の女の子。

I'm not really sure what this sentence is trying to say.

the situation is that he has just walked into the classroom and heard the shutter sound of a camera-phone

I'd say the latter is closer.

Following (after) the unfamiliar/mysterious sound, an unfamiliar girl appears/I see an unfamiliar girl.

I'd say the latter is closer.

Following (after) the unfamiliar/mysterious sound, an unfamiliar girl appears/I see an unfamiliar girl.

Thanks, I actually looked at it some more after I had posted that and I came up with something fairly similar to that so it's reassuring to know I was on the right track. Makes me feel less like some random shithead who has taken on something way above his ability XD

And in no time at all, I'm back with another question:

それも味といえば味なんだろうけど。

Okay, so this sounds like an expression to me. I'm guessing it means something like "you can get used to anything"?

Is that in kinda the right ballpark or is that like completely wrong?

Thanks, I actually looked at it some more after I had posted that and I came up with something fairly similar to that so it's reassuring to know I was on the right track. Makes me feel less like some random shithead who has taken on something way above his ability XD

And in no time at all, I'm back with another question:

それも味といえば味なんだろうけど。

Okay, so this sounds like an expression to me. I'm guessing it means something like "you can get used to anything"?

Is that in kinda the right ballpark or is that like completely wrong?

What's the context? A rough translation would be "everything's an experience".

What's the context? A rough translation would be "everything's an experience".

I think that makes sense with the rest of it, but here's the context:

ちなみに、ライゼルグにはガスも電気も存在しない。

いや、地中にガスは存在するかもしれないが、生活のために利用はされていないそうだ。

なので、生活に関しては、若干不便な箇所も多々ある。

それも味といえば味なんだろうけど。

I think that makes sense with the rest of it, but here's the context:

ちなみに、ライゼルグにはガスも電気も存在しない。

いや、地中にガスは存在するかもしれないが、生活のために利用はされていないそうだ。

なので、生活に関しては、若干不便な箇所も多々ある。

それも味といえば味なんだろうけど。

Yeah then that's right. "But I guess everything's an experience".

Yeah then that's right. "But I guess everything's an experience".

Awesome! Thanks

Another question.

洗面室からリビングに戻った頃には、丁度お湯が沸いていた。

そして、昨日荷解きしたばかりのカップとポットを取り出し、お湯を注いで湯通し。

温まったらお湯を捨て、茶葉をポットに。

そこへ沸騰したお湯を注いで軽く混ぜて、少し待つ。

So I can tell this paragraph is just describing making tea, but I'm having trouble working the exact steps he did. This word in particular is giving me trouble: "湯通し"