Japanese Help Thread

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 始めまして.

I'm still inexperienced but in my little abilities I'm trying to help Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete translation. Particularly because this VN is quite interesting.

I would like ask your help for these lines:

Kanade (page id 56) :

ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人かと思うだろ!

This line is a response for Airi's line: "One touch tte ittatte, watashi ga sawarasete ageru no ha seifuku dake". I can't get what Kanade is trying to say.

And also about this line (page id 58):

なるほど……あなたが新世界の神ですか、そうですかなるほど……あなたが新世界の神ですか、そうですか

The context is still about "one touch" like above, so what's the relation with this God of the New World?

Hi guys, 始めまして.

I'm still inexperienced but in my little abilities I'm trying to help Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete translation. Particularly because this VN is quite interesting.

Kanade (page id 56) :

ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人かと思うだろ!

This line is a response for Airi's line: "One touch tte ittatte, watashi ga sawarasete ageru no ha seifuku dake". I can't get what Kanade is trying to say.

The context is still about "one touch" like above, so what's the relation with this God of the New World?

ミリ = millimeter

単位 = unit

見切る(な) = (don't) carefully look and make a judgement

So we get "don't distinguish over a millimeter's difference," or, more naturally, "Don't split hairs over an eighth of an inch!"

Second sentence:

達人 =  expert

思う = [i will] think

だろ = "probably," but with 思う being in the nonpast plain you can think of it as a hint that 思う should be first-person future in English. Sort of. This explanation is clearly awful BUT

Anyways, we get "You'll make me think you're an expert."

This is all referring to the previous line, "That 'one touch' was only me letting [him/her/you/it] touch my uniform" (though I don't like that wording much fwiw).

The second line seems simple to me, unless there's something weird going on in context?

Hi guys, 始めまして.

Kanade (page id 56) :

ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人かと思うだろ!

You should paste the whole conversation in Japanese in cases like this.

From what I could tell, Airi told him that he could "touch" the location of her breasts but only the fabric of her clothes covering them. In other words touch the millimeters thin cloth without disturbing her actual flesh. To which he replied literally "Don't give me values in mm, people will think I'm a master (of breast touching) or something."; it's a joke on swordmasters being able to do their stuff in mm and all that. This mm thing is kinda clumsy if she doesn't specify mm in the previous conversation, so I would probably just go with something like "What? You think I'm some (breast touching) master monk or something?". 達人 is always a tricky word to translate.

The second line about the God of the New World is a Death Note reference / joke. I have no idea what it is in response to, though.

-------

Edit: Dude, your romaji was wrong and it gave a completely different impression from what was actually written. ワンタッチって言ったって、私が触らせてあげたのは制服だけっ vs One touch tte ittatte, watashi ga sawarasete ageru no ha seifuku dake; the original line is in past tense indicating it already happened, while your romaji indicates that she's gonna let him touch her breasts in the future.

She's basically talking about those judo guys or whatnot having touched her breasts, or rather, only the fabric of the clothes covering them. And Kanade replies literally "You evaded that on a millimeter scale? You're a master shaolin monk or something?" (evade kinda sounds weird, so I'm sure you can come up with a better word; but that's the gist of it).

見切る is martial arts lingo when you read (and evade) your opponent's attack

The reason it's phrased literally as "Don't mikiruna in mm scale, people will think you're a master." is just how Japanese combine 突っ込み and surprise, to supposedly make it sound funny.

The point is: he's flabbergasted by her skill, but also tries to make a joke about it.

She's basically talking about those judo guys or whatnot having touched her breasts, or rather, only the fabric of the clothes covering them. And Kanade replies literally "You evaded that on a millimeter scale? You're a master shaolin monk or something?" (evade kinda sounds weird, so I'm sure you can come up with a better word; but that's the gist of it).

見切る is martial arts lingo when you read (and evade) your opponent's attack

The reason it's phrased literally as "Don't mikiruna in mm scale, people will think you're a master." is just how Japanese combine 突っ込み and surprise, to supposedly make it sound funny.

The point is: he's flabbergasted by her skill, but also tries to make a joke about it.

This is incorrect. 見切る can be used in martial arts to refer to judging e.g. one's distance from an opponent (or in the same sense as e.g. 相手の攻撃が見えた), but it does not mean to evade (just as 見えた clearly does not). Kanade is clearly referring to her making the distinction between uniform and breast.

As for the second half, "Are you a master or something?" would be "達人かよ." The reason why we get "You'll make me think you're a master" (or "People will think you're a master," as you have later in your post) is because the thing she's being implied to be a "master" at is getting her boobs touched.

This is incorrect. 見切る can be used in martial arts to refer to judging e.g. one's distance from an opponent (or in the same sense as e.g. 相手の攻撃が見えた), but it does not mean to evade (just as 見えた clearly does not). Kanade is clearly referring to her making the distinction between uniform and breast.

As for the second half, "Are you a master or something?" would be "達人かよ." The reason why we get "You'll make me think you're a master" (or "People will think you're a master," as you have later in your post) is because the thing she's being implied to be a "master" at is getting her boobs touched.

見切る indeed doesn't mean "evade", it means she saw through their "attack" (in this case breast touching) and managed to somehow make it so they only touched the fabric of her clothes without feeling her flesh (that's why I said evade was a lousy word). In other words, the word 見切る refers to her being able to distinguish the few millimeters separating her breasts and the fabric of her uniform, as you said, AND the incoming attack of her adversary (the judo club or whatnot), thus IMPLYING she successfully pulled off that feat (avoid her breasts getting touched by a millimeter).

Kanade implies her being a master of some vague sort that is able to do inhuman things. It's a pretty common expression people use here when someone pulls off an insane physical feat. Taking xxxるなよ, xxx かと思うだろ too literally can put you off track, as it's very similar in nature to "You're shitting me." in English. A slangy phrase we use in daily conversations here that doesn't mean much by itself (just as no one is defecating in the English version, so no one is seriously thinking about masters or telling what others should do or not do in the JP phrase; it just expresses surprise (in a somewhat sarcastic way by adding a 突っ込み, though). And it's interchangeable with something like 達人かよ hence I unconsciously translated it closer to such. Maybe something like "I didn't know you were a fucking shaolin monk." would express the nuance best in this case?

Damn, this sentence is so fucking hard to translate into English, haha. If this is any indication of that writer's style, I can't say I envy you tling this game, GLM4475.

見切る indeed doesn't mean "evade", it means she saw through their "attack" (in this case breast touching) and managed to somehow make it so they only touched the fabric of her clothes without feeling her flesh (that's why I said evade was a lousy word). In other words, the word 見切る refers to her being able to distinguish the few millimeters separating her breasts and the fabric of her uniform, as you said, AND the incoming attack of her adversary (the judo club or whatnot), thus IMPLYING she successfully pulled off that feat (avoid her breasts getting touched by a millimeter).

Kanade implies her being a master of some vague sort that is able to do inhuman things. It's a pretty common expression people use here when someone pulls off an insane physical feat. Taking xxxるなよ, xxx かと思うだろ too literally can put you off track, as it's very similar in nature to "You're shitting me." in English. A slangy phrase we use in daily conversations here that doesn't mean much by itself (just as no one is defecating in the English version, so no one is seriously thinking about masters or telling what others should do or not do in the JP phrase; it just expresses surprise (in a somewhat sarcastic way by adding a 突っ込み, though). And it's interchangeable with something like 達人かよ hence I unconsciously translated it closer to such. Maybe something like "I didn't know you were a fucking shaolin monk." would express the nuance best in this case?

Damn, this sentence is so fucking hard to translate into English, haha. If this is any indication of that writer's style, I can't say I envy you tling this game, GLM4475.

...Translating this as "evasion" does not make any sense here considering that, in the previous sentence, the girl just said that she let them touch her uniform. Furthermore, even if that did make sense, in that case the author would've simply said e.g. 避けるな. He wouldn't have used a different word referring to a different action that would require his readers to go through mental hoops to understand what he actually meant.

かよ and かと思うだろ are used in similar situations, yes; however, they are not synonymous. With かと思うだろ, the implication is that the girl would not want to be thought of as a master. This does not gel with the translation you proposed.

With all due respect, you are ignoring the meaning of the actual words in front of you in order to justify your chosen translation, which I feel is a serious mistake. If the sentence had been, say, ミリ単位で見切るなんて、達人かよ, your argument would hold some water, but that's not what's being said.

...Translating this as "evasion" does not make any sense here considering that, in the previous sentence, the girl just said that she let them touch her uniform. Furthermore, even if that did make sense, in that case the author would've simply said e.g. 避けるな. He wouldn't have used a different word referring to a different action that would require his readers to go through mental hoops to understand what he actually meant.

かよ and かと思うだろ are used in similar situations, yes; however, they are not synonymous. With かと思うだろ, the implication is that the girl would not want to be thought of as a master. This does not gel with the translation you proposed.

With all due respect, you are ignoring the meaning of the actual words in front of you in order to justify your chosen translation, which I feel is a serious mistake. If the sentence had been, say, ミリ単位で見切るなんて、達人かよ, your argument would hold some water, but that's not what's being said.

Well, translating the "actual meaning" of words in idioms and slang is rarely the best idea, unless you're actually aiming for a hilarious translation. My English wording might not have been the best, but I'm pretty sure I explained what's going on in that scene contextually, it almost makes me wanna read that VN just to check this scene in full context now.

The girl let them touch her uniform but not the breasts that it was covering, so the word 避ける is just as off as evade, hence the complicated wording of the line.

The implication of the other literally not wanting to be thought of as something is usually lost when かと思うだろ is used in such a situation. If the girl was a master and didn't want others to find out, the line would be worded ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人ってばれるだろう! If the girl wasn't a master and didn't want others want to think she was that line would probably be worded as ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人と勘違いされるだろう. and if he wanted to imply that the opinion of other people even matters to either of them he would have used 思われる and not 思う which refers to himself alone in this case (but also implies that any other person in his situation would think the same thing). If you want to deconstruct this expression I think it arose from something like "The surprising thing that you've just pulled off makes me think you are xxx (master in this case), and you wouldn't want that, because that would be weird, right?". But the "wouldn't want" and the "weird" parts aren't taken seriously/literally the way this expression is usually used nowadays; it's the "surprising thing you've just pulled off" that gets all the attention.

P.S.: I wonder if the girl is lying about pulling that off, or if she really did it, though. I kind of assumed she did pull it off, but now that I think about it, his 突っ込み would make more sense if he was trying to point out her lie. Either way, fuck this, I'm not doing anything with this line before I know what's really going on in that VN. xD

...Translating this as "evasion" does not make any sense here considering that, in the previous sentence, the girl just said that she let them touch her uniform. 

Ugh this is stupidly difficult because there's little context. What she's 'evading' is their touch, implying they were aiming to touch her breasts (which I suppose they were). Even if she let them touch her uniform she still effectively evaded what they were trying to do which is essentially the joke. Instead of just dodging it she purposefully moved herself the perfect amount to where they would touch her uniform but not get enough pressure down to actually 'feel' her breasts. When you actually think about the sheer difficulty of doing something as ridiculous as that, his response about her being a master/expert/whatever makes sense. 

Ugh this is stupidly difficult because there's little context. What she's 'evading' is their touch, implying they were aiming to touch her breasts (which I suppose they were). Even if she let them touch her uniform she still effectively evaded what they were trying to do which is essentially the joke. Instead of just dodging it she purposefully moved herself the perfect amount to where they would touch her uniform but not get enough pressure down to actually 'feel' her breasts. When you actually think about the sheer difficulty of doing something as ridiculous as that, his response about her being a master/expert/whatever makes sense. 

...Oh for goodness' sake.

I looked up the context. Airi gets into a fight with the judo guy. When questioned, she says they started it because one of them touched her breast. Kanade points out she could've dodged (using the actual word that actually means "dodge"), to which Airi responds "Well, yeah." Kanade proceeds to imagine sexual things and touching her breast, in response to which Airi says "Wh-What are you, stupid? I only let them touch my uniform." Kanade goes on to say "Okay... Wait! Don't split hairs over an eighth of an inch! You'll make me think you've done this a million times!" Airi then giggles mischievously.

...Oh for goodness' sake.

I looked up the context. Airi gets into a fight with the judo guy. When questioned, she says they started it because one of them touched her breast. Kanade points out she could've dodged (using the actual word that actually means "dodge"), to which Airi responds "Well, yeah." Kanade proceeds to imagine sexual things and touching her breast, in response to which Airi says "Wh-What are you, stupid? I only let them touch my uniform." Kanade goes on to say "Okay... Wait! Don't split hairs over an eighth of an inch! You'll make me think you've done this a million times!" Airi then giggles mischievously.

I can see how you'd come up with that translation, but doesn't "split hairs over an eighth of an inch" indicate that she's being petty about differentiating her uniform from her breast and is just making excuses? I assume you then went on to interpret the 達人 line as referring to her being able to tell that difference (not necessarily commending her physical prowess) and thus having practiced this a lot (having her breasts touched); which she shouldn't want him or anyone else to know.

Her mischievious/meaningful giggle doesn't make sense though, it indicates something like "sure I am an expert 'cause I'm awesome" which tells me he was actually praising/surprised by her skill and not calling her petty. Otherwise I'd expect her to retort with something like "baka" or shut up", basically the JP way of saying "fuck off". If the 新世界の神 follows that line then it is in response to her "godly" skills which again wouldn't make sense with your interpretation.

I mean, I can understand why who'd you translate that line the way you did, and I'd probably translate it the same way if it was just a single line, but your interpretation doesn't make sense in the context you've given me (at least to me). But we're pretty much at the point of literary analysis instead of linguistic issue of translation and there's nothing we can do to validate our claims short of contacting the author of the work, so there's little point in trying to discuss this any further. It's just that spending the majority of my adult life in Japan and taking their culture into account I wouldn't expect this scene to play out the way you interpreted it. But it's just me, seriously, that writer can be weird for all I know.

I can see how you'd come up with that translation, but doesn't "split hairs over an eighth of an inch" indicate that she's being petty about differentiating her uniform from her breast and is just making excuses? I assume you then went on to interpret the 達人 line as referring to her being able to tell that difference (not necessarily commending her physical prowess) and thus having practiced this a lot (having her breasts touched); which she shouldn't want him or anyone else to know.

Her mischievious/meaningful giggle doesn't make sense though, it indicates something like "sure I am an expert 'cause I'm awesome" which tells me he was actually praising/surprised by her skill and not calling her petty. Otherwise I'd expect her to retort with something like "baka" or shut up", basically the JP way of saying "fuck off". If the 新世界の神 follows that line then it is in response to her "godly" skills which again wouldn't make sense with your interpretation.

I mean, I can understand why who'd you translate that line the way you did, and I'd probably translate it the same way if it was just a single line, but your interpretation doesn't make sense in the context you've given me (at least to me). But we're pretty much at the point of literary analysis instead of linguistic issue of translation and there's nothing we can do to validate our claims short of contacting the author of the work, so there's little point in trying to discuss this any further. It's just that spending the majority of my adult life in Japan and taking their culture into account I wouldn't expect this scene to play out the way you interpreted it. But it's just me, seriously, that writer can be weird for all I know.

I don't think you know what the word "petty" means. She is certainly not being petty.

...Lemme explain this one last time. Kanade is saying that Airi's giving the impression that she regularly lets people touch the chest of her uniform in order to pick fights, and that she's mastered this art. The giggle is because Kanade hit the nail on the head, and Airi is proud of that skill.

Given that Kanade already knows that Airi is highly skilled in combat, your explanation makes literally zero sense. You have already acknowledged that your translation is divorced from the literal meaning of the words; this is a sign that you're on the wrong track, not that you should try to keep arguing the point.

As for the full text:

愛理 「そう、一人一殺、簡単でしょ」

奏 「いや、殺したらマズいだろ!倫理とか道徳的にさ!」

愛理 「そう?じゃあ、ポコポコにして二度と立てなくする、とか」

奏 「可愛く言ったけど、どっちにしても暴力だ!」

愛理 「いいのよ!だって、先に手を出してきたのは向こうだもの」

「なんせ、この私の胸にワンタッチしたんだから!この乙女の可憐な胸によ!」

奏 「ワンタッチって…お前なら避けられただろう」

愛理 「まぁね」

軽く頷く愛理に、俺はため息を落とした。

「なによ…」

奏 「いや、別に…」

しっかし、あの平らな胸にワンタッチか…

ONE TOUCH.

愛理 「…その、ワキワキした手はなんなの」

奏 「気にするな。『あわよくば混乱に乗じて俺も』なんて思ってないから」

愛理「ヘンタイッ!」

奏 「ちょっ、待て待て! 素敵な胸に惹かれるのは、DNAに記された自然の摂理なんだぞ!」

愛理 「素敵…」 

奏 「あ、素敵さ」

愛理 「えっ、あ…ばっ、バカじゃないの!?」

愛理が声を張り上げた。

「ワンタッチって言ったって、私が触らせてあげたのは制服だけっ」

奏 「そうか…って、おい!ミリ単位で見切るなよ、達人かと思うだろ!」

愛理 「ふふん」

なるほど…あなたが新世界の神ですか、そうですか。 <--this line is clearly in an exasperated tone, which makes no sense if he meant it as a compliment

自慢げな笑顔に、俺はため息交じりに首を振った。

…とその時、俺の肩にチョイチョイと触れるものが。

ケニーケニー「なぁ、そろそろ満足したか?」

奏 「な…」

ケニー「できれば痴話ゲンカはベッドでしてくれ。あいつら同様、俺も飽きてきた」

...also, poking around, his name should be Sou, I think, not Kanade? But w/e.

I don't think you know what the word "petty" means. She is certainly not being petty.

...Lemme explain this one last time. Kanade is saying that Airi's giving the impression that she regularly lets people touch the chest of her uniform in order to pick fights, and that she's mastered this art. The giggle is because Kanade hit the nail on the head, and Airi is proud of that skill.

Given that Kanade already knows that Airi is highly skilled in combat, your explanation makes literally zero sense. You have already acknowledged that your translation is divorced from the literal meaning of the words; this is a sign that you're on the wrong track, not that you should try to keep arguing the point.

Ah, sorry, it seems I had misunderstood the meaning of your English line, I thought that you were trying to: 1. Imply that Sou doesn't believe her words and is telling her that trying to differentiate between uniform and breasts is stupid; 2. Make it sound she was / supposed to be ashamed of this skill. But now that you've explained it and I saw the scripts it does seem to check out alright. I didn't know the guy was already familiar with her skills, or that letting ppl touch the fabric of her uniform was her way of deliberately picking fights.

I just thought that "don't split hairs" is equivalent to "don't be petty" or "don't get sidetracked by little things." I don't know which word I'm misunderstanding but dictionary gives me "to quibble; to try to make petty distinctions" for splitting hairs.

So umm...

In this case Airi's talking about how she purposely dodged the touch (by milimeters) and (insert person here) only touched her uniform.

Kanade respond by saying "Hey! Don't freaking dodge by milimeters! I'll think you're some kind of master!" (metric system plz, ty).

Which makes Airi act smug.

Which makes Kanade think to himself in a kind of mouth smh/facepalm (he even describes smhing next line) manner 'I see, so you're a god of the new world. Understood.'

So umm...

In this case Airi's talking about how she purposely dodged the touch (by milimeters) and (insert person here) only touched her uniform.

Kanade respond by saying "Hey! Don't freaking dodge by milimeters! I'll think you're some kind of master!" (metric system plz, ty).

Which makes Airi act smug.

Which makes Kanade think to himself in a kind of mouth smh/facepalm (he even describes smhing next line) manner 'I see, so you're a god of the new world. Understood.'

Yeah, that's pretty much my literal interpretation of the line, too. Wording it in a way that both sounds nice and conveys the same nuance in English is a nightmare though. Especially given the fact that he already knows she's the type that can pull that off (a master) and is using that wording just as a figure of speech.

Sou, I think, not Kanade? 

Yep, his name is Sou, not Kanade.

As for the line, you'd be best of not trying to translate word by word and just go for meaning. Maybe something like

"Hey. If you're able to judge a millimeter of a distance like that, you'll make me think you've done this enough times to completely master it."

Or something. Main thing is to make sure the reader can understand what's happening as well as you (the translator whose looked over it enough to fully understand it).

Ah, sorry, it seems I had misunderstood the meaning of your English line, I thought that you were trying to: 1. Imply that Sou doesn't believe her words and is telling her that trying to differentiate between uniform and breasts is stupid; 2. Make it sound she was / supposed to be ashamed of this skill. But now that you've explained it and I saw the scripts it does seem to check out alright. I didn't know the guy was already familiar with her skills, or that letting ppl touch the fabric of her uniform was her way of deliberately picking fights.

I just thought that "don't split hairs" is equivalent to "don't be petty" or "don't get sidetracked by little things." I don't know which word I'm misunderstanding but dictionary gives me "to quibble; to try to make petty distinctions" for splitting hairs.

More "split hairs" in the sense of "to quibble"; the definition "to argue about whether details that are not important are exactly correct" is probably the clearest I've found. The details are petty, but the people are not >_>

"Hey. If you're able to judge a millimeter of a distance like that, you'll make me think you've done this enough times to completely master it."

That's what I was trying to go for; sorry if that wasn't adequately clear >_> Though I massively prefer Imperial units, mostly because they taste so much better to say.

As for the line, you'd be best of not trying to translate word by word and just go for meaning. Maybe something like

Or something. Main thing is to make sure the reader can understand what's happening as well as you (the translator whose looked over it enough to fully understand it).

That's not really what he means though.

It's more like:

"Hey. Don't go dodging by a millimeter on purpose! Or I'd think you were some kind of kungfu master!"

Which is what the 達人 is pointing at. And which is what made Airi smug.

If you translate it literally as master you leave out the indication that she's done it before to 'build up' her skill at it. Which is the joke apparently (I'm just going by what dowolf said). 

Though aside from that what you put is essentially the same meaning-wise as what I had.