Japanese Help Thread

Hey guys, I came across a line, and I'm unsure about how to translate it. It's「いかにもって感じ」.

So this is the scene:

A: これよりぃぃぃぃ新入生を歓迎してぇぇぇぇ我々応援団によるぅぅぅぅ演舞をぉぉぉぉ!!

B. ああ、応援団の人たちか。うん、いかにもって感じだな。

I thought it meant something like "over the top" or "eccentric" or "gaudy", but I'm not really sure if that's even what he means here.

I'd go with something like "Oh, here comes the cheering squad. Or at least someone who looks the part." if you want to be more literal.

いかにもって感じ expresses both doubt (though he is 99% sure, "they definitely look like it!") and "expected no less" (usually used sarcastically). A pretty tricky thing to transcibe into English.

Though, since it seems the squad guy actually introduces himself beforehand, the suggested above "Oh, the cheering squad. Can't say I've expected anything less from these guys." alone might flow better.

Yeah, it's a weird line, haha. Thing is, "as expected" wouldn't really work here for the reason you stated. Person B is too nice of a guy to think even something like that, haha (Banri from Golden Time).

I actually ended up going with "Oh, so they're the Cheering squad guys. Well, his character definitely fits the role, anyway".

Thanks for the help! :D

I'm having a bit of trouble with しなきゃいけない。

It seems to be the ます stem of する combined with なきゃいけない and I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it...

http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8D%E3%82%83%E3%81%84%E3%81%91%E3%81%AA%E3%81%84&eng=&dict=edict

Full sentence:

“いっぷ”はしなきゃいけない……

しなきゃいけないis used when you're saying you must do something. It's like a double negative. 

「しなきゃ」comes from 「しない」which means "don't do".

「いけない」roughly means "not good" in this sense.

So, in all, it's like: "if you don't *insert verb*, it's bad".

For example:「やばい!出る前にシャワーしなきゃいけない!」which means "Oh no! I have to take a shower before leaving!"

Hope I made sense! :D

僕のことをそんなに思っていてくれるなんて。

To think he/she was putting that much thought into me.

Now I have a question lol. How would one translate「怒涛の一日」into English? I know what this means in Japanese, and I know what it means in English. I was just wondering if there was a way to translate this into English without localizing the line.

For those of you who didn't know, this thread exists: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/4966-japanese-help-thread-for-beginnersstarters

So if you're a beginner and would like grammar points to be explained in a bit more detail (as opposed to help on wording things, or clarification on nuances/words), I'd post there instead of here. The title of this thread specifically says "(for translators)" because I don't think this was meant to be an in-depth tutor thread - which I'm finding a lot of lately. Many of you are posting basic grammar questions which could be searched up just by a quick Google search. I really think we should stay on the original purpose of this topic. Just my two cents.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this because is not a translations per se is more like a doubt that I have.

What's the difference between 不公平 ,不当, 不正, all of them mean the same thing right? Injustice, unfair, etc. What I don't get is that the dictionary says N3 and N1, does it mean that you use 不当 if you are older and 不正 if you are a younger person? what about 不公平 that doesn't say anything... btw I use zkanji as a dictionary

不公平 means "not fair"

不当 means "not reasonable" "not justified" "not suitable"

不正 means "not just" "not right"

They're pretty interchangable. There's a slight difference in meaning and connotation.

不公平 is pretty common. 不当 and 不正 are pretty rare.

Need help with small font/handwriting. I've strained my eyes to death, still can't figure out what's written in here.

There is no bigger resolution, this is the orignal source.

I marked what I can't read with red circles. And yes I'm aware they're kanas (almost 100% sure), I just can't understand which ones. I'm not used to handwritten stuff like this.

Full transcription of the dialogues if you need:

Yukari: 帰れる?

IA: まだ

Yukari: 待ってるね

IA: ありがと

Yukari: 手、冷たいの?
暖房入ってないの?

Yukari: うわつめた

IA: ううんわたしちょっと冷え症で

Yukari: 片手で打てるならこっち温めてあげる

IA: えーでも温かくならないよ...?
たぶん