Japanese Help Thread

Screen mode is more than 24 bit. HighColor is faster.

It suggests you to reduce the number of colours to get better reaction, is it perhaps an old VN? Ignore it, and if you however get graphics performance problems (I doubt it)  change monitor-properties to 16 bit (also know as HighColor).

About the same thing, "Your monitor is set to display more than 256 colours (8 bit).  Change settings to HighColor, please".

You can change this under display settings -> advanced settings -> List all modes and choose a HighColor one (preferable with highest resolution supported). Remember to reset this to TrueColor afterwards if you don't want your monitor to behave like an ancient one.

I need help with this line here:

が、明は別段気にした風も無く小鉢に生卵を割り、しょうゆを垂らしてチャカチャカかき混ぜる

I think he describing what he's doing with his food.

edit: and this one too

どこをどう切り取っても地味で平凡な、父親の2Pカラーみたいな明とは違って本当に華がある見かけをしている

This one I think is describing someone.

But, (?), not looking particularly worried, split the raw eggs into a small bowl, dribbled in some soy sauce, and stirred.

Duuno. Could use more context, for one.

Does anyone know what the heck 病名は伏せる is supposed to mean? Looking at uses of it from Google searches isn't helping me too much.

病に伏せる is simply "to be sick" and

病床に伏せる "to be sick in bed"

Conversation about a sick girl by two teachers in 聖もんむす学園:

シンク「その病気ってのは治ったりはしないんですか?」
キューテ「そうですね。病名は伏せますけど、完治するのは難しいんですよ」
:シンク「なるほどなぁ……だったら単位とか出席日数の問題も考えれば良いのに……」
キューテ「それもそうなんですけどね……他の教師たちも、あまり問題児に関わりたくないみたいで……」

Does anyone know what the heck 病名は伏せる is supposed to mean? Looking at uses of it from Google searches isn't helping me too much.

One of the meanings of 伏せる is to hide something from being known. 病名は伏せる means to hide the name of a disease, ie. not tell certain people the exact disease, perhaps as to not make them worry over it too much or treat the person in question differently.

• 4 weeks later...

明 <-- this is a name right?

(going to ignore the が since it's a contextual thing)

Without paying particular attention to what he/she was doing, [name] breaks a raw egg in to a small bowl, dribbles soy sauce on it, and begins mixing. 

I honestly have no idea what the second one wants to say.

No matter how you look at it(from whatever direction you try to distinguish said person), The person being described is different from [name] who is like a 2p father character and person being described is like a blossoming flower.

Sorry it's confusing me pretty badly. 

If anyone is willing to help me i am having troubled with this sentence

あちらは相変わらず背後ばかり気にしていて……。 I tried breaking but i cant make sense out of it. he is some text which came before this one if it helps

(あっ……?)女の子は背後を振り返りながら、ものすごい勢いで走っていた。……誰かに追われている?
ぼくは女の子の後方に注意を向けた。
勇太(……なんだあれ?)…………。そんなふうにして、ぼんやりしていたのがいけなかったのだろう。気が付けば、女の子は目の前に迫っていた。
あちらは相変わらず背後ばかり気にしていて……。

If anyone is willing to help me i am having troubled with this sentence

あちらは相変わらず背後ばかり気にしていて……。 I tried breaking but i cant make sense out of it. he is some text which came before this one if it helps

(あっ……?)女の子は背後を振り返りながら、ものすごい勢いで走っていた。……誰かに追われている?
ぼくは女の子の後方に注意を向けた。
勇太(……なんだあれ?)…………。そんなふうにして、ぼんやりしていたのがいけなかったのだろう。気が付けば、女の子は目の前に迫っていた。
あちらは相変わらず背後ばかり気にしていて……。

So what's happening is :

The protagonist sees a girl who's running extremely hard, while looking over her shoulder. He wonders whether someone is chasing her.

Probably: The protagonist watches the space behind the girl (trying to see maybe what's chasing her) [Not sure what 注意を向けた means]

Protagonist: <What is that...?>   I wonder if I shouldn't have been so carefree like that. [not sure exactly when he was being carefree. As the story is being told in past tense, he might be reflecting on how he was kind of spacing out during these lines.].

By the time the protagonist realizes, the girl has arrived right in front of him.

The protagonist notes: As before, the girl is still worried/checking about what's behind her, to a great degree.

あちら = the girl

ばかり literally means "just" as in "concerned about what's behind her and nothing else", but here probably translates better as a emphasizer.

So what's happening is :

The protagonist sees a girl who's running extremely hard, while looking over her shoulder. He wonders whether someone is chasing her.

Probably: The protagonist watches the space behind the girl (trying to see maybe what's chasing her) [Not sure what 注意を向けた means]

Protagonist: <What is that...?>   I wonder if I shouldn't have been so carefree like that. [not sure exactly when he was being carefree. As the story is being told in past tense, he might be reflecting on how he was kind of spacing out during these lines.].

By the time the protagonist realizes, the girl has arrived right in front of him.

The protagonist notes: As before, the girl is still worried/checking about what's behind her, to a great degree.

あちら = the girl

ばかり literally means "just" as in "concerned about what's behind her and nothing else", but here probably translates better as a emphasizer.

Thanks, you really cleared a lot of things up. As for  注意を向けた- It means to turn attention to. And i believe the protagonist is having a dream of the past were it's memories but it is happening to him presently. Thanks again.

10 points to Grynffidor to whoever can tell me what kanji this is

iGT0miF.png

I've been trying to look up up by radicals but it's no use so i figured maybe asking here might help.

Edit: Nevermind that, already found it after some effort, it's the kanji for Differences 違

That was a pain in the ass to find.

Edit of the edit

Another 10 points for Gryffindor if you can help me find this kanji

Xunnk44.png

Edit of the edit of the edit:

Turns out this was a radical in itself, i feel extremly dumb right now. It was the kanji for Fly 飛

Thanks anyway Mephisto, at least i could be 100% sure.

It was indeed Chigau although I got to that conclusion because the hiragana before said chi- (dash included) so i imagined it was chi-chigau as  in the line said by tsunderes 100 times (Original sentence: ち- 違うのにこちゃん)and not because i figured out how to read the kanji in the sentence at first

And the other was 飛び (tobi) if i'm not mistaken.

Me and my friend were just having some fun trying to translate manga strips  :) (reason why we had to try and find the kanji because of the weird font used) I had more fun than i expected actually for a total japanese noob.

おとなしくこの私にーーー。。。。
サラ契約破って
ごめんなさいね
「やむを得ざる時の戦いは正義であり」
「武器の他」
「全ての希望を絶たれた時は武器もまた神聖である」
ですわ

Any idea on what she's saying?

Have a tricky line here.

どんな相手だろうと物怖じせずに、すぐに打ち解けられる子なんだと。

Not sure how it would make sense in English.

No matter who she faces, she does not shy away, and speaks frankly.

or

No matter who she is facing, she is a child who speaks frankly without reservation.

I assumed the と doesn't do anything, and is just the protagonist proposing a thought to himself. Depending on the context it this could stating be what someone else said and the line would change to reflect that. The すぐ is also ommited, it could mean either "very readily" or "soon" talks

forgot the potential form

No matter who she is facing, she is a child who can soon speak frankly without being shy.

――もし、今目の前で起こっていることが、事実なら

――ここが、自分の全てが満たされてしまう空間だとしたら

Me and my friend are trying hard but we can't make sense of these 2 sentences in english, mostly the 2nd.

Any help?

Me and my friend are trying hard but we can't make sense of these 2 sentences in english, mostly the 2nd.

Any help?

――もし、今目の前で起こっていることが、事実なら

-- If perhaps what I just saw in front of my eyes right now was real then......

If this place is the empty space that was filled with everything that made up who I was.

If this truly is the space that which fills the entirety of my being

(Second line sounds a bit awkward, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's trying to say although context helps. Might be wrong :(

――もし、今目の前で起こっていることが、事実なら

-- If perhaps what I just saw in front of my eyes right now was real then......

If this place is the empty space that was filled with everything that made up who I was.

(Second line sounds a bit awkward, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's trying to say although context helps. Might be wrong :(

Context:

2 lolis are in front of the protag, one is naked, the other stole her towel.

He's narrating while this hapens. It's part of the prologue to a nukige.

Does this help in any form..?

The next 2 lines are

この女の子たちは、非常に危険な存在だ。ガチでヤバい存在だ

なぜなら、俺の理性が、どこまで保つかわからないから……!

but those were more easily translated and I don't think they have any connection to the previous statements.

I'm translating some random stuff and I need help.

1) Girl runs after a fortuneteller, but she has to go back to class soon, however the fortuneteller says she doesn't need to go back. Much later it turns out that the class was canceled.

I'm having trouble with this:
そなたが求める時間は停滞を示している

Here's some context:
Girl: あの……、どこに行くんですか?
Girl: 思わずついてきちゃいましたけど、
実は私、学校に戻らなきゃいけなくて
Fortuneteller: ……戻ったところで、無駄足となる。
そなたが求める時間は停滞を示している

2) Another conversation I'm having trouble with:

Fortuneteller: ……妾の言葉は、必要と思われる者にのみ
与えられるもの。滅多なことでは占わぬ
Fortuneteller: だが、(girl's name)。
そなたの願いであれば、戯れに付き合うのも
良いと思えるな
Girl: えっ……、占ってくれるんですか?
Fortuneteller:: 若葉の娘、そして無垢の娘。
妾はそなたのような色のない娘が、
どのような色に身を染めるかが知りたい
Fortuneteller:: そう……、恋を知り、変わりゆく色を眺め愛でることも楽しいもの

Note: 若葉の娘 is fortuneteller's nickname for the girl

This is all way too mysterious for me, so help?

Chrono got "If this truly is the space that which fills the entirety of my being," which I think is better since it makes more sense with the grammar

edit: Er, I think it may be referring to an empty spot that was opened up wherever ここ is, need to head off now. Maybe chrono can help :P

edit: also can be taken the other way as this is an empty spot in I who should have been complete. really off now :P physics 

Chrono got "If this truly is the space that which fills the entirety of my being," which I think is better since it makes more sense with the grammar 

Definitely sounds better and it connects with the sentence that comes after which I just realised now.

Why does a protag in a nukige have to spout such a smart sentence *sigh* 

Thanks a lot anyway :)

Me and my friend are just making it our hobby to tl this short nukige using dictionaries and stuff, it's a somewhat fun learning/practice method though I can see us reaching stumps like these way too often. Oh well.

I'm translating some random stuff and I need help.

1) Girl runs after a fortuneteller, but she has to go back to class soon, however the fortuneteller says she doesn't need to go back. Much later it turns out that the class was canceled.

I'm having trouble with this:
そなたが求める時間は停滞を示している

Here's some context:
Girl: あの……、どこに行くんですか?
Girl: 思わずついてきちゃいましたけど、
実は私、学校に戻らなきゃいけなくて
Fortuneteller: ……戻ったところで、無駄足となる。
そなたが求める時間は停滞を示している

2) Another conversation I'm having trouble with:

Fortuneteller: ……妾の言葉は、必要と思われる者にのみ
与えられるもの。滅多なことでは占わぬ
そなたの願いであれば、戯れに付き合うのも
良いと思えるな
Fortuneteller:: 若葉の娘、そして無垢の娘。
妾はそなたのような色のない娘が、
どのような色に身を染めるかが知りたい

Note: 若葉の娘 is fortuneteller's nickname for the girl

This is all way too mysterious for me, so help?

Thanks for providing the context.

そなたが求める時間は停滞を示している is terrible to interpret in English, but I believe it's talking about the class.

"(The signs) display that the period of time you are seeking has stopped progressing normally."

The conversation is hard, as it uses a word with many different meanings (色) and has a metaphor, as well as not your everyday style of speech.

Fortuneteller: ……妾の言葉は、必要と思われる者にのみ与えられるもの。滅多なことでは占わぬ

My words are only for those whom I think it necessary. I do not divine over the mundane.

Still, (girl's name)

そなたの願いであれば、戯れに付き合うのも良いと思えるな

If you so desire... But do not think it well to accept (lit. accompany, to follow along) on a whim.  <Going directly from the Japanese, the "but" shouldn't be there, which confuses me a lot. The meaning of the two halves are clear, so I made up a connection.>

Eh?...... You'll tell my fortune?

Fortuneteller:: 若葉の娘、そして無垢の娘。妾はそなたのような色のない娘が、 どのような色に身を染めるかが知りたい

Girl of Young Verdure!... and Girl of Purity. I am, like you, a woman without {color}、but I wish to see which palette of hues you embrace.

Yes......To gaze and admire a {color} that changes as it knows love (for the first time) is too, a pleasurable thing.

色 has other meanings, the ones I guessed as relevant was that relating to the beauty of a woman, or sensuality. "Color" is the naive definition and a passable substitute metaphor. You could just bold the word in the TL, lol.

TLDR: I don't know what it means and even if I did the English would be a pain in the ass askdlasdlasdjlas *pulls out hair*.