Japanese Help Thread

From Ao no Kiseki prestory.

クロスベルの闇は深い。->The darkness in Crossbell runs deep.
昔からこの地に根付き、甘い汁を吸い上げてきた帝国寄りのマフィア《ルバーチェ商会》。 ->Long ago, the <Revache Company>, a mafia group affilliated with the Empire took root in this land, sucking out its goodness.
そして共和国からやってきた巨大犯罪組織《黒月》── ->And from the Republic came <Heiyue>, a large crime syndicate.
さまざまな因縁を取り込んで、闇はうごめき始める。->???, and the darkness began to writhe like a worm.

Edited by flame

• 5 months later...

Heya! I need some help with these two sentences here:

その世界で俺は伝説の勇者で、モテモテなんです! 出会う女の子はニコポナデポで俺を好きになってくれる方向で!!

and

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

If the whole context is needed, here you go:

Spoiler

もしも願いが叶うなら――

たとえば目の前にランプの魔神が現れて、『汝の願いを叶えてやる』とか言い出したら、即答できる自信がある。

「俺を異世界にワープさせてください! すっごい美人なエルフが居て、その娘と一緒に大活躍できる、勇気と冒険の世界に!!」

もし、お願いがみっつまでOKなら次はこうだ。

「その世界で俺は伝説の勇者で、モテモテなんです! 出会う女の子はニコポナデポで俺を好きになってくれる方向で!!」

みっつめの願いは保留である。保険は残しておきたい。

「願うだけならタダってね……」

俺――春原修は深々と嘆息して、膝の上の同人誌をめくる。

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

12 hours ago, Testarossa said:

Heya! I need some help with these two sentences here:

and

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

If the whole context is needed, here you go:

Reveal hidden contents

もしも願いが叶うなら――

たとえば目の前にランプの魔神が現れて、『汝の願いを叶えてやる』とか言い出したら、即答できる自信がある。

「俺を異世界にワープさせてください! すっごい美人なエルフが居て、その娘と一緒に大活躍できる、勇気と冒険の世界に!!」

もし、お願いがみっつまでOKなら次はこうだ。

「その世界で俺は伝説の勇者で、モテモテなんです! 出会う女の子はニコポナデポで俺を好きになってくれる方向で!!」

みっつめの願いは保留である。保険は残しておきたい。

「願うだけならタダってね……」

俺――春原修は深々と嘆息して、膝の上の同人誌をめくる。

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

And in that world I'm a legendary hero who is really popular with girls! With the twist that every girl I meet falls in love with me for no reason!

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

I'm perfectly aware of my idiotic personality.

7 hours ago, Funnerific said:

And in that world I'm a legendary hero who is really popular with girls! With the twist that every girl I meet falls in love with me for no reason!

自分でも拙い方向に人格をこじらせた自覚はある。

I'm perfectly aware of my idiotic personality.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

Hey guys. I'm also needing some help here.

The context is quite simple, the characters are about to have dinner.

Char1-  焼肉とは、いい日にいたもんだねぇ、あたしも

Protag- ほんと、どこまでくちばしが長いんですか

Char1- 日ごろの行いだろ

I don't really the Protag line, I guess it's a expression, but it could be that Protag is just reacting sarcastically to Char1

On 30/12/2017 at 3:58 AM, UnusuallyNormal said:

Hey guys. I'm also needing some help here.

The context is quite simple, the characters are about to have dinner.

Char1-  焼肉とは、いい日にいたもんだねぇ、あたしも

Protag- ほんと、どこまでくちばしが長いんですか

Char1- 日ごろの行いだろ

I don't really the Protag line, I guess it's a expression, but it could be that Protag is just reacting sarcastically to Char1

くちばしが長い means long beak but it's a Hokkaido expression about someone's timing that means something like "you always show up when nice food's on offer".

• 1 month later...

Need help with the following sentences:

黒々とした闇の暗黒宇宙のあちこちに光が灯りだす。そのーつーつはどうしようもなくちっ

ぽけで惨い粒のようなものだ。

それは、全ての創世。

闇に閉ざされた世界が、ひとたび冷たく死に果てた宇宙が。

全身を覆っていた星衣がほどける。

……これは、ある物語のひとつの瀬末。

全ての宇宙を闇に閉ざそうとした者と、それに打ち勝った者と。それを見守っていた者と。

宇宙の新たなる創世となった、少女たちの物語だ。

Here's the full text (The sentences will be bolded):

Spoiler

「ーわたしの弾丸は、あなたを貫く」

言葉と共に、閃く光。

白。

杖の先端が押し付けられていたのは、黒衣の少女の胸だ。

「…………ッッッ」

声にならない声を上げて、黒い少女はのけぞった。それでも立ち尽くして。 

彼女は倒れない。

彼女は険を閉じない。

背中を突き抜けていった光は、明らかな致命傷。なのに、精一杯の微笑みを浮かべていて。

杖を構えていた白衣の少女は、感情を殺したままだった。 黒衣の少女はその顔を見て、さらに笑顔を深くして「あは」と声を上げた。

そして、

「相変わらずだ。うん、ありがとうー」

僕を貫いてくれて。

----ごめんなさい」

途端に、世界が変わった。 

ぽけで惨い粒のようなものだ。しかし、いつしかそれは何百と、何千と、何千億と燈めきだし、やがてそれらは渦巻き、形を成してゆく。巨大な、空いっぱいに広がる星の渦。そこかりまた小さな渦が生まれ、大きな渦から離れていく。

そう、大きな星の渦から生まれて零れていくのは、一つーつが巨大な銀河だ。

銀河を生み出すこの巨大な星の集まりとはー

それは、全ての創世。

生まれていく。

散らばっていく。

「ああ……」

思わず、声がこぽれた。

色んなものを犠牲にして。

色んなものを費やして。

色んなものを糧にして。

辿り着いたここは、きっと間違いなんかじゃない。

全身を覆っていた星衣がほどける。

そのまま両手足を広げ、黒衣の少女と同じように倒れる。

使命は果たした。

だから、もういいのだ。

もう、自分は生き続ける理由はないのだ。

戦い続ける理由は、ないのだ。

なのに。

---------

彼女の名前を、呼ぶ声がする。

-------------くん」

咳く。それは、

旅人が、遠い彼方の故郷の名を口にするように。

戦士が、儚く散った強敵の名を口にするように。

恋人が、傍らに立っ彼女の名を口にするように。

「大丈夫」

少女が答えて上体を起こすと、その人は安堵の息を吐いて。

「よかった。けど、 星衣が---

「大丈夫」

女はもう一度そう言ってから、その人の手を握り、立ち上がる。

「あなたが来てくれたから----大丈夫」

少女は三度、言って。指差す。

星の渦の、何処かの一点を。

「あなたが来て、わたしの名前を呼んでくれるのなら。わたしはいつでも見つけられる」

少女は、険を閉じる。

そして、開け。

「導きの星よ! 命の星よ! 我が魂の行く先を照らす星よ! 我は汝を見つけだし、使命を負う者なり!

星の世界の中で、一瞬だが、確かにひときわ輝いた星があった。

-----欲するは刃、願うは衣、析るは弾丸ー」

少女の身体に、再びあの白い衣が現れる。そして、その手には輝く棒状の------

「輝け! わたしの運命の星!

少女を中心に、新たな光--------いゃ、星が生まれ--------

……これは、ある物語のひとつの瀬末。

宇宙の新たなる創世となった、少女たちの物語だ。

11 hours ago, Testarossa said:

Need help with the following sentences:

ぽけで惨い粒のようなものだ。

それは、全ての創世。

全身を覆っていた星衣がほどける。

……これは、ある物語のひとつの瀬末。

宇宙の新たなる創世となった、少女たちの物語だ。

Here's the full text (The sentences will be bolded):

Reveal hidden contents

「ーわたしの弾丸は、あなたを貫く」

言葉と共に、閃く光。

白。

杖の先端が押し付けられていたのは、黒衣の少女の胸だ。

「…………ッッッ」

声にならない声を上げて、黒い少女はのけぞった。それでも立ち尽くして。 

彼女は倒れない。

彼女は険を閉じない。

背中を突き抜けていった光は、明らかな致命傷。なのに、精一杯の微笑みを浮かべていて。

杖を構えていた白衣の少女は、感情を殺したままだった。 黒衣の少女はその顔を見て、さらに笑顔を深くして「あは」と声を上げた。

そして、

「相変わらずだ。うん、ありがとうー」

僕を貫いてくれて。

----ごめんなさい」

途端に、世界が変わった。 

ぽけで惨い粒のようなものだ。しかし、いつしかそれは何百と、何千と、何千億と燈めきだし、やがてそれらは渦巻き、形を成してゆく。巨大な、空いっぱいに広がる星の渦。そこかりまた小さな渦が生まれ、大きな渦から離れていく。

そう、大きな星の渦から生まれて零れていくのは、一つーつが巨大な銀河だ。

銀河を生み出すこの巨大な星の集まりとはー

それは、全ての創世。

生まれていく。

散らばっていく。

「ああ……」

思わず、声がこぽれた。

色んなものを犠牲にして。

色んなものを費やして。

色んなものを糧にして。

辿り着いたここは、きっと間違いなんかじゃない。

全身を覆っていた星衣がほどける。

そのまま両手足を広げ、黒衣の少女と同じように倒れる。

使命は果たした。

だから、もういいのだ。

もう、自分は生き続ける理由はないのだ。

戦い続ける理由は、ないのだ。

なのに。

---------

彼女の名前を、呼ぶ声がする。

-------------くん」

咳く。それは、

旅人が、遠い彼方の故郷の名を口にするように。

戦士が、儚く散った強敵の名を口にするように。

恋人が、傍らに立っ彼女の名を口にするように。

「大丈夫」

少女が答えて上体を起こすと、その人は安堵の息を吐いて。

「よかった。けど、 星衣が---

「大丈夫」

女はもう一度そう言ってから、その人の手を握り、立ち上がる。

「あなたが来てくれたから----大丈夫」

少女は三度、言って。指差す。

星の渦の、何処かの一点を。

「あなたが来て、わたしの名前を呼んでくれるのなら。わたしはいつでも見つけられる」

少女は、険を閉じる。

そして、開け。

「導きの星よ! 命の星よ! 我が魂の行く先を照らす星よ! 我は汝を見つけだし、使命を負う者なり!

星の世界の中で、一瞬だが、確かにひときわ輝いた星があった。

-----欲するは刃、願うは衣、析るは弾丸ー」

少女の身体に、再びあの白い衣が現れる。そして、その手には輝く棒状の------

「輝け! わたしの運命の星!

少女を中心に、新たな光--------いゃ、星が生まれ--------

……これは、ある物語のひとつの瀬末。

宇宙の新たなる創世となった、少女たちの物語だ。

The full text is honestly too complicated for what it's worth so don't blame me for not reading it too carefully. :maple: This should be good enough.

黒々とした闇の暗黒宇宙のあちこちに光が灯りだす。そのーつーつはどうしようもなくちっぽけで惨い粒のようなものだ。 - Lights appear in various parts of dark space. All of them extremely small, like (rain)drops.

それは、全ての創世。 - This is the creation of everything.

闇に閉ざされた世界が、ひとたび冷たく死に果てた宇宙が。 - The world locked away in darkness, the space once perished in the cold.

全身を覆っていた星衣がほどける。 - The shroud of stars (covering the whole thing) opens up.

……これは、ある物語のひとつの瀬末。 - This is one of the endings to a certain story.

全ての宇宙を闇に閉ざそうとした者と、それに打ち勝った者と。それを見守っていた者と。 - Of one who tried to lock away the entire space in darkness, of the one who defeated them. Of one who watched over that struggle.

宇宙の新たなる創世となった、少女たちの物語だ。 - The story of the second creation of space, and the girls involved in it.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I would like to ask something related to names and chōonpu:

When translating names and words into english, should i keep the long vowels?

Example are:

恭介 Kyousuke/Kyosuke?

良助 Ryousuke/Ryosuke?

幸助 Kousuke/Kosuke?

At first I chose to keep the long vowel sound, but after making read a partial translation to a friend, he asked me if it was right to keep it, making then question myself which is the better solution.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me!

Edited by きょうすけ
typo

22 hours ago, きょうすけ said:

When translating names and words into english, should i keep the long vowels?

depend on how often/much they say the names,
here is an example, i translate a game with english name: Crow, in japanese it says Kurou
some char call him Kuro, while other also call him Kurou, like "Kurooooouuuu-kuuuuun...!" with the obvious visible "u", so i keep the long vowel instead...

6 hours ago, Huang Ling Yin said:

depend on how often/much they say the names,
here is an example, i translate a game with english name: Crow, in japanese it says Kurou
some char call him Kuro, while other also call him Kurou, like "Kurooooouuuu-kuuuuun...!" with the obvious visible "u", so i keep the long vowel instead...

Oh I see! Mmmh...I translated about 200 lines and the guy is still called by just his name, but thanks for the tips!

Also,  your post made me remember another thing I forgot to ask before: should I stick to either stick with or completely remove honorifics, when translating? As for now I think it depends on which kind of VN I'm translating, but I'm kinda dubious about readers' judgment: should i keep them for a more otaku appeal or, should I remove them in order to (hopefully) cater a bit of the casual audience along too?

30 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

should I stick to either stick with or completely remove honorifics, when translating?

for me, yes, i keep them... sometimes, i just feel awkward change honorifics like: senpai with senior, or sensei with teacher, or even remove them? i feel like it lose its impact... beside the honorifics, i also keep anything that reader already familiar with, something like: lolicon, ecchi, hentai, or other terms as well, how suppose we translate lolicon in english? p3do is a bit much isnt it?

6 minutes ago, Huang Ling Yin said:

for me, yes, i keep them... sometimes, i just feel awkward change honorifics like: senpai with senior, or sensei with teacher, or even remove them? i feel like it lose its impact... beside the honorifics, i also keep anything that reader already familiar with, something like: lolicon, ecchi, hentai, or other terms as well, how suppose we translate lolicon in english? p3do is a bit much isnt it?

As for the more classic terms such as lolicon, tsundere, senpai and so on I fully agree; I'm a bit puzzled on hentai though, as "pervert" could fit more or less (it mainly depends in which situation is used and if there is a pun words wise).

All in all as I thought it boils down to personal preference, which is good, to me. Thanks for the help (and sorry for the trouble)!

23 hours ago, Funnerific said:

Apparently what Zakamutt posted was copypasta from someone named Moogy, so it's pretty much bait :makina:

Tip of the day: do not act like Moogy is the god he believes he is. He has stated that the goal of a translation is localization, meaning it should be rewritten to get rid of as much Japanese culture as possible and insert American culture instead. After all American readers can't understand Japanese culture. Also if you aren't an American, you apparently have no business reading VNs in English. Moogy is also a firm believer that readers should be punished for not understanding Japanese and the way to do that is to ensure the quality of the localization will not reach the quality of the Japanese original.

Despite his significant influence in the VN community, VNDB had to ban him for always starting fights.

On 13/4/2018 at 12:16 PM, きょうすけ said:

Also,  your post made me remember another thing I forgot to ask before: should I stick to either stick with or completely remove honorifics, when translating? As for now I think it depends on which kind of VN I'm translating, but I'm kinda dubious about readers' judgment: should i keep them for a more otaku appeal or, should I remove them in order to (hopefully) cater a bit of the casual audience along too?

If you want a real answer to the question, Darbury already provided it on his blog.

Poll summary: only one person out of 34 says honorifics should never be included in a translation.

If you ask for my personal opinion, then it depends on the VN. In some titles they make very little difference and removing them will not be a noteworthy loss of information. In other titles, the honorifics carries a lot of information, sometimes more than first meets the eye, in which case keep them. In such a title, trying to include the information without actually using honorifics will not only lose information, it will also result in English sentences, which are less readable than if you would just include the honorifics.

If you use honorifics, make a list of those you include and add a txt file or something to tell the meaning of each. It might not sound important at first glance, but what is the difference between -san and -kun? We can't be 100% sure all readers will know. We can't even be sure everybody on Fuwa is fully aware of this. And what if the VN decides to use some less known ones, such as -waka or -dono? If you always include a list of all honorifics in the VN and an explanation, then you will gain the freedom to use such honorifics/titles.

22 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Tip of the day: do not act like Moogy is the god he believes he is. He has stated that the goal of a translation is localization, meaning it should be rewritten to get rid of as much Japanese culture as possible and insert American culture instead. After all American readers can't understand Japanese culture. Also if you aren't an American, you apparently have no business reading VNs in English. Moogy is also a firm believer that readers should be punished for not understanding Japanese and the way to do that is to ensure the quality of the localization will not reach the quality of the Japanese original.

Despite his significant influence in the VN community, VNDB had to ban him for always starting fights.

Never heard of him, but I stopped caring after reading that cancerous wall of text he wrote.

I'm kinda surprised by him being banned on VNDB though (I use it only as personal vn database collection, meaning I have no interaction with the community), but I don't understand why starting fights...

22 minutes ago, tymmur said:

If you want a real answer to the question, Darbury already provided it on his blog.

Poll summary: only one person out of 34 says honorifics should never be included in a translation.

If you ask for my personal opinion, then it depends on the VN. In some titles they make very little difference and removing them will not be a noteworthy loss of information. In other titles, the honorifics carries a lot of information, sometimes more than first meets the eye, in which case keep them. In such a title, trying to include the information without actually using honorifics will not only lose information, it will also result in English sentences, which are less readable than if you would just include the honorifics.

If you use honorifics, make a list of those you include and add a txt file or something to tell the meaning of each. It might not sound important at first glance, but what is the difference between -san and -kun? We can't be 100% sure all readers will know. We can't even be sure everybody on Fuwa is fully aware of this. And what if the VN decides to use some less known ones, such as -waka or -dono? If you always include a list of all honorifics in the VN and an explanation, then you will gain the freedom to use such honorifics/titles.

Finally another proper reply, thank you!

I completely agree with what you just said. Right now I'm not translating anything which really needs honorifics in the first place (so I completely removed them), but should I start a project which heavily focuses on them I'll be definitely make a text document which includes all of those used in said VN.

Thank you for both your advice and useful response!

On 14/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, きょうすけ said:

Wait, what? Are you serious? Because if so i'm feeling really shitty  from what I said to him then... :(

That's one way of identifying text as originating from Moogy. He has (had?) connections, speaks with authority (which he likely never had for real) and it seems he wants everybody to feel bad because nobody sane will ever live up to what Moogy wants. According to him, everybody should learn Japanese, but at the same time nobody is allowed to go through the learning process.

9 hours ago, きょうすけ said:

I'm kinda surprised by him being banned on VNDB though (I use it only as personal vn database collection, meaning I have no interaction with the community), but I don't understand why starting fights...

VNDB has boards, which is a forum like thing. It's custom made and generally poor from a forum point of view, but it's in the database, meaning it's designed to link to VNs, releases, publishers etc. In fact you look at say Ever17, to the top right there is a tab with discussions. 43 threads has been attached to this title. The benefit of this is if somebody asks about the contents or writes a review, even if left idle for years, it will still pop up for the VN in question and not die many pages back in some subforum. 43 is really high. Most have less than 5, with 0 being the most common for untranslated VNs.

Around 5 years ago, the boards were some sort of wild west. One instance was that Moogy said VNs should be transformed into American culture. One person (A) replied something like "are you saying Americans are so stupid that they can't read a story unless it's changed to match American culture? I don't think that's the case". Next a new person flames for calling all Americans stupid, but aims at A rather than Moogy. Other people joins in and in a short time there was 50+ posts of people calling each other names.

Another example was a recommendation thread. It nearly instantly got replied with something like "OP makes it sound like low resolution is better than high resolution. Can somebody explain the point because I'm it". This got replied with 5-10 posts of harassment and death threats for not liking VNs enough before somebody came with a valid reply and pointed out that OP wasn't good at explaining the thinking behind the request. This made both the request and the question valid.

Eventually VNDB got tired of deleting posts all the time from people acting like that and announced a cleanup, which meant people who wouldn't stop doing that would get banned. That made VNDB a lot nicer, but it also lost more than one translator working on official translations.

12 hours ago, きょうすけ said:

Didn't know this place was full of trolls... lesson learned I suppose.

Usually it isn't, at least not the serious boards like this one. This thread got seriously trolled though as it has taken up two pages of replies by now and I just made yet another reply, which is off topic from the threads intended purpose. We should get back on topic.

12 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Usually it isn't, at least not the serious boards like this one. This thread got seriously trolled though as it has taken up two pages of replies by now and I just made yet another reply, which is off topic from the threads intended purpose. We should get back on topic.

Indeed, let's. Went ahead and hid most of the trolly posts derailing the thread. 

12 hours ago, HMN said:

don’t mind them, they’re just a bunch of 12 year olds with nothing better to do

Gotcha!

6 hours ago, tymmur said:

That's one way of identifying text as originating from Moogy. He has (had?) connections, speaks with authority (which he likely never had for real) and it seems he wants everybody to feel bad because nobody sane will ever live up to what Moogy wants. According to him, everybody should learn Japanese, but at the same time nobody is allowed to go through the learning process.

I... I'll don't add anything personal to this.

VNDB has boards, which is a forum like thing. It's custom made and generally poor from a forum point of view, but it's in the database, meaning it's designed to link to VNs, releases, publishers etc. In fact you look at say Ever17, to the top right there is a tab with discussions. 43 threads has been attached to this title. The benefit of this is if somebody asks about the contents or writes a review, even if left idle for years, it will still pop up for the VN in question and not die many pages back in some subforum. 43 is really high. Most have less than 5, with 0 being the most common for untranslated VNs.

Around 5 years ago, the boards were some sort of wild west. One instance was that Moogy said VNs should be transformed into American culture. One person (A) replied something like "are you saying Americans are so stupid that they can't read a story unless it's changed to match American culture? I don't think that's the case". Next a new person flames for calling all Americans stupid, but aims at A rather than Moogy. Other people joins in and in a short time there was 50+ posts of people calling each other names.

Another example was a recommendation thread. It nearly instantly got replied with something like "OP makes it sound like low resolution is better than high resolution. Can somebody explain the point because I'm it". This got replied with 5-10 posts of harassment and death threats for not liking VNs enough before somebody came with a valid reply and pointed out that OP wasn't good at explaining the thinking behind the request. This made both the request and the question valid.

Oh I see. Never noticed the discussion tab, kinda neat.

Eventually VNDB got tired of deleting posts all the time from people acting like that and announced a cleanup, which meant people who wouldn't stop doing that would get banned. That made VNDB a lot nicer, but it also lost more than one translator working on official translations.

So there were people talking about official translations in there? I'm quite surprised.

Yeah I shall do too, thanks.

6 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Indeed, let's. Went ahead and hid most of the trolly posts derailing the thread. 

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

What is the best way to look up unknown characters? They are in a picture with custom font (well in many pictures, it's a game after all), so OCR software fails to recognize them. Drawing them by hand rarely gives proper results. So i was thinking is there a database or something based on patterns in a kanji which allows multiple selections to rule out characters?

14 minutes ago, pual said:

What is the best way to look up unknown characters? They are in a picture with custom font (well in many pictures, it's a game after all), so OCR software fails to recognize them. Drawing them by hand rarely gives proper results. So i was thinking is there a database or something based on patterns in a kanji which allows multiple selections to rule out characters?

You can use Jisho's radical function, where you can piece together kanji by their radicals. Each time you select one radical you see in a kanji, you'll get a list of suggestions. The more you add, the fewer suggestions you'll see. It's an easy way to look up kanji, and a great way to practice remembering the radicals, too.

Software doing this will always be kind of iffy, and once you learn the radicals, you will be able to look up kanji faster than the software anyways.