Japanese Help Thread

18 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Bleeeh.... Anyone have a good, simple translation for this? 恋人つなぎー? :sacchan: 

Can't think of a propper way to put it in English lol.

(Well, that doesn't sound stupid.)

Not a simple translation, but maybe instead of using it as a noun you could say "We interlocked fingers."

or "We interlocked our fingers while holding hands."  Something along those lines.  I don't think there's a nice translation that you could just replace the term with.

Context would help too.

1 hour ago, TastefulSardine said:

"We interlocked our fingers while holding hands."  Something along those lines.  I don't think there's a nice translation that you could just replace the term with.

Please don’t do that. You can’t 'interlock fingers' without 'holding hands,' so the holding hands bit is redundant and kinda comes off terrible-like.

Two Questions:
The first, one of the countries in the game is named 八州皇国. It is fairly explicitly Japanese in culture, while the surrounding nations are clearly European. The dictionary lists two definitions for 八州. One, as an archaic term for Japan. Two, as referring to eight Edo-period states, which presumably gave rise to the first through synecdoche. How would the average Japanese player of the game read it? Would they recognize the term, or would they read it literally as 'Eight State'? And if they would recognize it, would it sound rather quaint or odd? If so, are there any English terms for Japan that would convey a similar sense? I guess what I'm getting at is it seems like just calling it the Japanese Empire would lose some nuance, as otherwise the original name would probably just have been 日本帝国.

As for the second, there are a number of names in katakana that I haven't been able to find an adequate match, and I was wondering if anybody recognized them or had any better ideas. So far, about 95% of the names have been mythological references or historical polities, with a breakdown of about %80 Irish, %10 Norse, and %10 other.

Spoiler

Name        Guess            Notes
Places:
ローヴェリア共和国    Lobelia Republic?        (name of a plant Genus?)
ハルベルズ王国        Halberz Kingdom?      (German sounding made up name?)
フィーリアス帝国        Firias Empire?           (possibly made up?)
People:
アモーデ                  Amode? Airmed?
ドリザ
Weapons:
魔剣ウォルナー                                        (the sword belonging to Deirdre in the game)
Skill:
ディヴァシティクライ    _______ Cry             (the only thing I can think of is Diversity Cry, but that doesn't really make any sense. The skill description is 'Withers enemy units with a roar of darkness, weakening them.')

ヒトミはどこからともなくフリップを取り出し、事のあらましを説明してくれた。

ヒトミ - Name

I sort of understand it but is that フリップ Flip ? WTH is flip?

I'm guessing it's one of those flip notepads?

So would  "Hitomi suddenly takes out a notepad and roughly explains the situation" be correct?

• 1 month later...

So without the context, I was confused at first but I'm guessing this was in the middle of a fight scene or something similar to that.

Anyways, here what I think it means.

Seemingly like one stroke, with full force, the first stroke of the swordsman, seems to deceptively come back, 
and change and transform into the second and third strikes.
Zai(In) is the essence of "prime fighting jutsu" (The name of the technique that is being used)

On 20/8/2016 at 7:52 AM, Dark Ariel7 said:

Need help with a tricky line. Thanks.

33ji71l.png

maybe this help for something 剣士の一合が如き全力の一撃が、まやかしの様に返り、二撃三撃目へと変化していく変幻自在こそがプライム流決闘術の真髄だ。

that's not something easy to read for me so I won't attempt a translation, I got lost with the 剣士の一合 (knight's stature, knight's what? what the hell does "一合" means there... maybe is a name? ) so I can't follow the comparison or similarities about the blows in that is making after that... or explaining the technique. 

According to google 合 is how you count the number of times weapons collide.

I am assuming the line is either an quote explanation or a narration.

"Take one full power strike, like swordsman's weapons clashing, and turn that, as if if were a faint, into a second, a third strike. That kind free changing action is the essence of the Prime School duelling style."

And I am so stupid...

Extracted the text to look at the Kanji, accidentally changed 流決 into 流失. Be confused about what is eroding and also be confused overall...

Anyways, I see where I made my mistakes in understanding the passage.

30 minutes ago, Parallel Pain said:

"Take one full power strike, like swordsman's weapons clashing, and turn that, as if if were a faint, into a second, a third strike. That kind free changing action is the essence of the Prime School duelling style."

This is actually really good! Lol forget what I said before

Also, the passage seems to come from 武に身を捧げて百と余年。エルフでやり直す武者修行. It would have helped if I knew that earlier.....

Edited by Bastian77

39 minutes ago, Bastian77 said:

This is actually really good! I would just change the first part "Take one full power strike" to "It was a full power strike" because it's describing the action. 

The wording to me doesn't read like describing current action but rather character or narration explaining "the essence of Prime School duelling style". If it was describing current action the particle should be を and the verb 返し, but it's が and 返り.

So I wouldn't use "it was". Well even if the wording was describing current action I would use "he turned...".

As it is if i find "take" confusing, then I would use "consider" or "think of".

But like all previous posts I really just explain and give suggestions, the translator has to make the line match the context.

3 hours ago, Parallel Pain said:

buuu:vinty: you make it sound so easy :komari: I would have never Guessed what 一合 meant in that context from all the meanings it has to use it as "a counter for battles" though in the context of the sentence it makes sense, I still have so much to learn :amane:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

I was wondering if somebody could help me with some colloquial speech I can't understand. So, the two guys are talking and one has espoused the idea that girls who don't do club activities are more likely to get laid. (saying stuff like "セックスしたくない女がいないよ!でも、残念ながら(girl who is in the music club)にはチャンスがない。それに比べて(hot non-club girl 1&2)?それは帰宅部の高さよ" The other dude responded with たまたまだろ (like, it's just a coincidence, right?). So here's what I don't get: what does "部活じゃあ養えないなにかがあんだって!" mean? I have a vague idea but the 養う here is really tripping me.

Edit: Well, the guy is really defending the concept that if you're in the go-home club you have a better social life. As for his final sentence, I was thinking it was something along the lines of "if you don't have a club, there's a desire/itch/whatever (you must relieve)" but that sounds weird at best.

Thanks!

Edited by FunkyBoy
Further comment.

Is it the same guy who said たまたまだろ? My TL would make sense if the guy who's advocating that girls who don't do club activities are better.

I was thinking it went something along the lines of
"Because there's some qualities you can't cultivate with club activities!"

養う here I think means develop or cultivate, rather than it's more commonly used version of provide for or foster, and the なにか would naturally mean something(qualities) to compliment 養う。

Hope this helps

G1 is the dude who's defending the go-home club. G2 is the たまたまだろ guy.

So, G1 says all of that stuff about the girl who's in the wind instrument club vs. the hot grills. In response, G2 says たまたまだろ. Then G1 goes: 違う!(and then proceeds to say the phrase we're discussing).

So, he's saying "部活では、養えないことがある(と言っているよ!)"? 

Edited by FunkyBoy
Typo.

Hmm...

I can't seem to understand this word: 

彼女の通った後には干からびた男達の屍だけが積み上げられるという……

Roughly translated (and machine translated), piling up corpse of lifeless man as she pass through? 

I ask about this sentence at a certain Japanese Language forum and one reply

equivalent sentence in poetic expression: 彼女と関わった男性は皆、その後生気を失い死人のようなってしまう様子

Yeah that means when you approach her, she will drained the life out of you. but, I'm not sure about that still