Japanese Help Thread

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

what is the difference between 

判, 解 and 分 as understand (or not understand) as in 判らない 分からない 解らない etc

do they have different meanings or are they interchangeable between them?

sorry i just found the answer 

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1084655795 :wafuu:

Dunno. But I like this answer better: http://chigai-allguide.com/分かると解ると判る/

1 hour ago, Chronopolis said:

Dunno. But I like this answer better: http://chigai-allguide.com/分かると解ると判る/

mmm I see, it's funny to see that even japanese themselves have trouble understanding the uses of kanji and the slight or sometimes big difference a word can have depending on the use of them in a certain word, the guy in yahoo didnt know any of this.

• 2 weeks later...

My translation of the final Light chapter of Arcana continues, and now I'm running into something odd. Context this time is that after rescuing Princess Harp, he was brought before Risoluto to be judged whether he is worthy or not of the princess. One branch of this arc has Caprese found unworthy, because Risoluto's judgement using her special powers has found that his deeds for the Light are unsatisfactory. Caprese is dissatisfied with this outcome and that evening he goes to Risoluto's room and asks her to explain about her ability to see what Caprese has done. They have a bit of conversation:

Caprese: …グランディに言われた…いや…いろんな人に言われたな… お前は光の使者、光の戦士だって…でも、ただの何にも考えずに嫁さん探ししてたんだぜ? いきなりそんなこといわれても…だけど…いろいろ…ヘンなこともしたかもしれないけど…俺はリソルートの前に立った…審判を受けるところまでは辿り着いた…光の使者として…認められはしなかったけど…俺にしては上出来だなって思ったんだ.
Risoluto: すまない…
Caprese: どうしてリソルートが謝る?だって、俺は満足してるんだ。結果はどうでもいいよ。俺は精一杯やった、それでいいんだ
Risoluto: 精一杯…
Caprese: そうだ、俺はそれだけでいい…だから…泣かないで…
Risoluto: カプリス…お前の言葉…なんだか懐かしい…
Caprese: 懐かしい…か…そうかもしれない… ずっと昔に…お互い記憶にないくらい昔…会っていたのかもな…
Risoluto: では…なぜ、いままた出会った?

The highlighted portions are a bit of a puzzle, not because I don't understand the meanings of the words, but because they don't seem to make sense in the context. Translation of mos of the rest:

Caprese: It was Grandi [the reverse trap commander from Part II, Chapter 8] who said it... No, many people told me so. 'You are the Messenger of the Light, Warrior of the Light' they said... But without really thinking, wasn't I just an ordinary guy looking for a wife? And then all of a sudden, so to speak, I found myself embroiled in all sorts of strange things it seems. I stood before you, Risoluto, and received your judgement after many long struggles. As the Messenger of the Light... You won't recognise me as such but I don't think I really did so badly.
Risoluto: I am sorry.
Caprese: Why are you apologising, Risoluto? After all, I am satisfied. The final outcome doesn't matter. I did my best, and that is all.
Risoluto: Thy best...
Caprese: Yes, that was my all. So I won't cry over it...
Risoluto: Caprese, thy words somehow are nostalgic...
Caprese: Nostalgic huh? I suppose you might say that. Of my childhood... just like you I have no memories of my childhood. Maybe if I had met...
Risoluto: Then why, now you meet? (????)

'会っていたのかもな' sort of means 'If I might have met...' but from the context it doesn't seem clear who it was he was supposed to meet. I was originally thinking that it might be if he had met someone of authority the way Risoluto had met the Hierophant, but Risoluto's subsequent statement becomes nonsensical as well. Or perhaps there is a sense of 会っていたのかも that I am unaware of?

It simply means "Maybe we had met" (or, in slightly more natural English, "Maybe we once knew each other"). かも is a "I wonder"-if, not a conditional-if.

Additionally, looking through your translation, one of the biggest problems I see is that you are very literally translating the phrases such that they appear in exactly the same order in English as they do in Japanese. This isn't really a good thing; I would recommend rewriting much of that first paragraph.

10 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Everyone wants to know vulgarities >:D

soo... what am i missing? 

「おかしいと言いなさい! 言わなきゃ○す!」

Sorry context plox. There's so many way to interpret that.

Also what's blotted out in ○ ? Can you tell from the sound file? Or was nothing blotted out?

1 minute ago, Parallel Pain said:

Sorry context plox. There's so many way to interpret that.

Also what's blotted out in ○ ? Can you tell from the sound file? Or was nothing blotted out?

That's what I want to know xD. And nope, sound file also blotted out.

A: 「そういや、今度の映画コンクールも期待してるって先生達が言ってたぞ」

B: 「そんなことはどうでもい!」

A: 「なっ!?」

B: 「それよりあなた、動好会って知ってる?」  動好会 = Name of a club

A: 「あ。梁瀬から部活申請の書類と参考作品を預かってる」   梁瀬 = Protag

A: 「あいつ、おもしろいよな。映研があるのに、どうしてわざわざ同じような部活を作ろうとしてるんだか」

B: 「そこよ!」

B: 「同じ主旨の部活がふたつあるのって、おかしくない?」

B: 「おかしいと言いなさい! 言わなきゃ○す!」

A:  「待て! 落ち着け! ぎゃー!」

END

Can you tell from the sound file how many syllables were blotted out? Half? One? Two?

In any case the easier's way to translate this is just "Say it's weird! Say it or I'll XXXX you!"

素早く describes something done quickly, urgently, as fast as possible, etc

はやい could mean many things: early, fast, quick

Also I've never heard anyone say 素早くしろ it's always はやくしろ

I've been continuing with the translation of Caprese and Risoluto's conversation in the final Light Chapter of Arcana, and now I run across another bit of strangeness. Further in their conversation, Caprese encourages Risoluto to try living not just as the Hierophant's Inquisitor, but as Risoluto, the person, as well, and she asks how she can do that. He suggests that she try to laugh (笑う), but she says she has nothing to laugh about. So he invites her to try to dance, and they are very clumsy at it:

Caprese: ほら、そこで足は後ろに…あ痛っ!!
Risoluto: あ、ごめんなさい…
Caprese: 謝らないで、あなたがミスったのって顔してればいいの、女の子は
Risoluto: あっ…また…

I don't get the highlighted portion that well. It seems to be using 顔 as a する-verb, which I'm uncertain how to interpret. Here's my attempt:

Caprese: Look, put your foot behind... ouch!!
Risoluto: Ah, I'm sorry...
Caprese: No need to apologise, you made a mistake, it is enough to just face it, as a girl. (???)
Risoluto: Ah...I did it again...

3 hours ago, stormwyrm said:

isnt him  kinda quoting her with that って  there? like "about the mistake you did" or "speaking of.." if you put a good face like that... /if you give me that look... 
but still I have troubles putting everything together I don't want  say something incorrect so I will let the more knowledge ones to answer your question :P 

13 hours ago, stormwyrm said:

frc is absolutely right.

She's saying that women(/girls if you prefer) just want to see that you know you made a mistake.

顔しる just means "to make a face." The のって here just means "things like," so "a face like you made a mistake." More literally it says like "don't apologise, doing a 'my mistake' face is ok, for girls," with the more fluent meaning above.

On 2016/6/15 at 1:26 PM, stormwyrm said:

I'd translate like this, "Don't apologize. You're a girl, so you just pretend I'm the one to blame here."
I only know this Caprese man from your post, but he seems to me like such a gentle man.

7 hours ago, Hasa said:

I'd translate like this, "Don't apologize. You're a girl, so you just pretend I'm the one to blame here."
I only know this Caprese man from your post, but he seems to me like such a gentle man.

Oh is Caprese the male? I thought it was the other way around.

Oh, so there's a thread like this, huh? I guess I'll ask:

"There's many things I have done."

"Thing A, B, and C, it's so much of annoyances."

Are those two correct grammar-wise? I'm a little confused about plural non-living things. What is the correct pronoun, "it" or "they"?

Oh, almost forgot this is JAPANESE help thread. Okay, some other questions:

Are "仕方無い" and "仕様が無い" interchangeable? Those two means: "It can't be helped; It's inevitable", right?

Then how about "仕様が無い奴だ"? I can't translate it into: "He can't be helped; He's inevitable guy", can I?

2 hours ago, Forte said:

Oh, so there's a thread like this, huh? I guess I'll ask:

"There's many things I have done."

"Thing A, B, and C, it's so much of annoyances."

Are those two correct grammar-wise? I'm a little confused about plural non-living things. What is the correct pronoun, "it" or "they"?

Are "仕方無い" and "仕様が無い" interchangeable? Those two means: "It can't be helped; It's inevitable", right?

Then how about "仕様が無い奴だ"? I can't translate it into: "He can't be helped; He's inevitable guy", can I?

http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/8231/how-do-these-3-ways-of-saying-it-cant-be-helped-differ
And since I'm not native in english I wont give you any advice on that :P

btw I think you shouldn't use "he" for 奴, use guy or dude
"that guy is impossible" or "nothing can be done for that dude/guy"

it's hard without context but the way he/they is/are saying it sounds a bit rude (again without context is hard to tell), so try to use something that sounds despective like if they/he is looking down upon that person.

3 hours ago, Forte said:

仕方がない, しょうがない and 仕方あるまい are, to my eyes, completely interchangeable. The choice of which one is being used more reflects the author's intent to convey the mode of speech of the character and how casual vs formal vs quirky they're meant to sound. Having a debate about the difference between them is mental masturbation as far as I'm concerned. They're just meant to sound like someone else is saying each of them. Japanese writers are big on creating the 'voice' of different characters with the mode of speech being subtly or dramatically different between all of them.

仕様が無い奴 has a different nuance. It means hopeless/helpless/lovestruck/overwhelmed/one-track-minded etc. Someone who can't help but behave a certain way due to a weakness, love etc.

On 6/16/2016 at 5:41 PM, Hasa said:

Well, in the current route he is indeed a very gentle person. There is, unfortunately, an evil route where he is completely corrupted by the Dark Side... I don't know if I have the heart to translate all of that by myself.

On 6/17/2016 at 1:36 AM, Kelebek1 said:

Oh is Caprese the male? I thought it was the other way around.

Yes, Caprese is the guy. I was even considering using Capriccio as the translation of his name (カプリス), given how the almost all of the names of other characters in the game are based on musical terms, e.g. Vivace, Animato, Grave, Amoroso, Marcato, Risoluto, etc., but that is a bit too far from the original katakana pronunciation. Caprice is also possible, but even more liable to misconception as a feminine name. But then again, the cute fairy girl who follows him around for most of the game is named Primo, and similarly many of the names are used without modification to feminine stems. It's worth considering whether to change the names so the female characters also have feminine-stem names (e.g. Animata, Risolutia, Prima, etc.) where required.

20 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/8231/how-do-these-3-ways-of-saying-it-cant-be-helped-differ
And since I'm not native in english I wont give you any advice on that :P

btw I think you shouldn't use "he" for 奴, use guy or dude
"that guy is impossible" or "nothing can be done for that dude/guy"

it's hard without context but the way he/they is/are saying it sounds a bit rude (again without context is hard to tell), so try to use something that sounds despective like if they/he is looking down upon that person.

19 hours ago, ittaku said:

仕方がない, しょうがない and 仕方あるまい are, to my eyes, completely interchangeable. The choice of which one is being used more reflects the author's intent to convey the mode of speech of the character and how casual vs formal vs quirky they're meant to sound. Having a debate about the difference between them is mental masturbation as far as I'm concerned. They're just meant to sound like someone else is saying each of them. Japanese writers are big on creating the 'voice' of different characters with the mode of speech being subtly or dramatically different between all of them.

仕様が無い奴 has a different nuance. It means hopeless/helpless/lovestruck/overwhelmed/one-track-minded etc. Someone who can't help but behave a certain way due to a weakness, love etc.

I see, it's only a matter of word choice, then?

Yes even in japanese threads they are basically explaining that it's the same thing (comparing 仕様が無い with 仕方無い not even with 仕方が無い) but maybe later on you found that there is a difference but it doesn't matter, it should be really subtle and in the translation is probably impossible to convey it, like trying to show the difference between 僕 , 俺 and 私 when you translate it into english, you can't and that's it :P 

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1289850902 

so everything comes down with context itself the way it should be translated or how do you wanna translate it.