Japanese Help Thread

56 minutes ago, Chronopolis said:

This is like "There's no such thing as paper."/"There's no way there'd be something like paper."

The なんか is strengthening the statement compared to かみがない

Same here

While grammatically the たりする does mean "do things like this and that", when people use it in the negative, especially with just a single action, it's main function is as a strengthener:

"I won't do something like sell myself" (note the strong, emotional tone)

For the pun maybe you could go:

"Paper, it doesn't exist." (God, he doesn't exist.)
Nowhere.

Basically like a TL note without actually saying "TL note"

Not really related, but man what's with the forums having huge spacing between lines?

I didn't know that tari had that use too.

I like how you phrased the pun, I'll probably use it xD

btw the forum has been like this since they upgraded to the newer version :P 

1 hour ago, Chronopolis said:

Not really related, but man what's with the forums having huge spacing between lines?

Hit shift + Enter
Instead of only 
Enter
And your problems will be solved.
This piece advice will cost you 3 cookies. 
The bill's in the mail.
Have a pleasant day :) 

And so after sporadic work on it over the past several months, I've finally gotten to what I think should be the last of the Light chapters of Arcana. Anyhow, after Caprese manages to rescue Princess Harp after her abduction by Tombeau, her father the Hierophant Hymnus and the nun Risoluto have the following conversation:

Narrator: 誘拐されたハープ姫の生還に\n法王は喜びを隠せなかった。そしてカプリスは…
Risoluto: 法王…あなたは人の親である前に光の使者でもあるのです。そのお立場をお忘れなきように
Hymnus: リソルート…お前が言うことはわかる…しかし…いまさら試すなどと…
Risoluto: あなたはお年を召されてしまったようですね…いま、この世に届いている光…それはまだわずかなものです… あなたは、いえあなたの血族は法王として…ミトラ神の意志に従い、この世を光で満たさねばならないのです
Hymnus: だから…あの若者が光の使者としてふさわしいか判断すると言うのか?

I'm having difficulty translating the portion highlighted in yellow above. I am not so sure what Risoluto means by お年を召されてしまった above. Does it mean the Hierophant seems to be so overjoyed at the safe return of his daughter that it looks as though he has declared a new year? Also, she says something あなたは、いえあなたの血族は法王として, which I am not certain of. It seems she is trying to say that he and not his blood relation (Princess Harp) is acting as Hierophant.

I think the rest sort of goes:

Narrator: The Hierophant was unable to hide his joy at the safe return of the abducted Princess Harp. Meanwhile, Caprese...
Risoluto: Holiness... Before you are the Father of the People you are the Messenger of the Light. Please do not forget your place.
Hymnus: Risoluto... I know what you are saying, but is it too late to try...
Risoluto: 「It seems as though you have declared a New Year.」? The Light has arrived in this world. But there is only a little as yet. 「You, not your blood relative as the Hierophant, must do the will of the Lord Mithras and fill the world with Light.」?
Hymnus: And so, do you think it fitting that we recognise that young man as a Messenger of the Light?

Halp plox!

こんな世の中、信じる方が馬鹿なのさin this world, believing/trusting is for idiots.(you are on the idiots side, I think that's how that "方が" should be interpreted in that sentence ) 
こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ because you are holding to things like wishes? 
I don't know what in this era/that time, does there

They broke a promise with her and when she asks why, that's their answer. 

13 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

こんな世の中、信じる方が馬鹿なのさin this world, believing/trusting is for idiots.(you are on the idiots side, I think that's who that "方が" should be interpreted in that sentence ) 

You are right for this line.  They have a spiteful tone here.

13 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ because you are holding to things like wishes? 
I don't know what in this era/that time, does there

They broke a promise with her and when she asks why, that's their answer. 

In this day and age, to hold on to your wish...
They're saying that wishing for stuff is outdated.  Again, it's spiteful

8 hours ago, TastefulSardine said:

You are right for this line.  They have a spiteful tone here.

In this day and age, to hold on to your wish...
They're saying that wishing for stuff is outdated.  Again, it's spiteful

Thanks for the help, would you mind explaining why  こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ   means outdated? 持つからさ  I still can't understand this and why it means what it means :P 

18 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Thanks for the help, would you mind explaining why  こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ   means outdated? 持つからさ  I still can't understand this and why it means what it means :P 

He's just following on the meaning. They're stupid because they still have wishes in this age. In a previous age they wouldn't be stupid you assume, otherwise you wouldn't specify "this age." So, useful in previous ages, not this age -> "outdated."

2 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

He's just following on the meaning. They're stupid because they still have wishes in this age. In a previous age they wouldn't be stupid you assume, otherwise you wouldn't specify this age. So, they could be deemed "outdated."

Can you infer also that holding into them (wishes) is tiresome or is that an incorrect interpretation?

16 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Can you infer also that holding into them (wishes) is tiresome or is that an incorrect interpretation?

Well it says that "people who believe in wishes in this age are stupid." Everyone can interpret it differently as to why, that's sorta the point of philosophical and poetic language isn't it? :P he's replying to something/someone though and we don't have the whole rest of the scene/story to judge exactly why he's like that. It's pretty much just exposition on the character and how they think about life. Seems like they're maybe expressing faithlessness, hopelessness, and maybe just tired with life in some aspect. There's no reason to dream, no reason to reach for the stars, your dreams won't come true. There's no magic or miracles in the world etc etc etc. Like Parallel Pain said, it depends on the character and story, it all shapes how you'd interpret that line for that character.

5 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Need more context to answer that.

All we can tell from  こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ  is that someone think having wishes in this age is stupid/abnormal. Why that is and whether or not it's tiresome depends on the rest of the character and story. It could be "that's why you fail" or "that's why you get disappointed" or even taken a good way "that's why you're special".

A group of guys promised to a girl of not doing something (eating a flower) if she gave up her body to them in exchange for not doing it, they fuck her and after that they still eat the flower thus broking the promise, so she says why why, that's too cruel and their answer is this:

こんな世の中、信じる方が馬鹿なのさ
こんな時代に、望みなんか持つからさ 

The fuck are you translating? Whatever it is I am making sure I don't read it.

Anyway going by only what is given, they are laughing at her and breaking their promise to spite her for trusting them. Also 望み is double meaning on hope.

The world's crap so you were an idiot to have trusted us sort of thing.

I still can't tell whether it's tiresome or not because I would need more character background and dialogue. But what's for sure is it's a negative.

8 minutes ago, Parallel Pain said:

The fuck are you translating? Whatever it is I am making sure I don't read it.

Anyway going by only what is given, they are laughing at her and breaking their promise to spite her for trusting them. Also 望み is double meaning on hope.

The world's crap so you were an idiot to have trusted us sort of thing.

I still can't tell whether it's tiresome or not because I would need more character background and dialogue. But what's for sure is it's a negative.

lmao, it is one of the strongest utsuge vns I've ever read and I've read fucked up things... so yeah it's not for the faint of heart xD
Ok, got it I think that what I was thinking in the first place fits with this part, thanks for your help, kaleb and tasteful sardine.  That was the last line I had to translate and I didn't want to make up something on the spot just because I didnt understand it completely :sacchan: 

I'm going crazy with this please help, I think I changed it like 1000 times already >_>

――――――――――ああ。
          まただ。 <----------these lines are said by a guy who just raped the girl and he came in her crotch. Thus he doesnt mean mata in the sense of "again" but "in your crotch" or "ahhh your crotch/groin!!" A crotch? :ph34r: xD

また、これだ――― <-------------this line is said by the girl just right after the previous one, saying that everything is happening again (she thought it was over, no more raping but everything is happening again), like in some way of reassignment "this again...this situation is repeating...I can't handle it another time"

now this is again a play of words, mata again...mata crotch/groin etc, they use that word a lot in that way inside this vn, how the hell do I make this part make sense in english?

I can't it's so freaking abstract... and no matter what I do I cant keep that word playing which has a lot of meaning, she giving up and the guy like just having an orgasm and not giving a fuck, they are saying the same words and at the same time they are saying the total opposite.

My gut instinct would be to go extremely non-literal here and simply come up with something that works in English. Off the top of my head:

What a good fuck / fucking again?
I cummed all over her / he's coming after me again?

Note that I'm also coming from the perspective that it's better to cut a joke or a pun than to overexplain it, which may not be yours.

Ok so basically what I did the first and then I changed it and put it back and so on like 100 times because I couldnt decided what to do :P 
I'm going with the extremely non-literal way then. Danke !:) 
EDIT: I got it, the novel lets me use colors with the text so I will put "again" in a different color in both phrases to let the reader know that the emphasis is on that word, i think it could work.

Need help with this line:

「莉々子さんって、3年の羽多野莉々子先輩?あのちっちゃいけどカッコいい“騎士”の」 [Ririko-san? You mean that 3rd-year Ririko-san? That petite but cool "knight?"]

So I've pretty much got the whole sentence down, but I have no idea what 羽多 means.  Going by kanji, it would be many wings, and pronounced "hane" and "oo/ta" but that doesn't really make sense here, as she has no wings(as far as I know) and it's pronounced "hatano."

1980 中坊の日のこと。 1980, in the events of those days of middle school student.
退屈で、曖昧で、冷静で、容赦ない現実。in that boring, vague, calm and heartless reality.
テレビや映画のような劇的なこともなく、\n変わり映えしない、単調でつまらない毎日。were dramatic stuffs like you see in tv or movie didnt happen, in change, dulls and monotonous every days.
特に楽しい予定もないのに、週末を指折り数える毎日。 Even though there wasn't anything specially fun planned, we still counted with our finger the days left for the arrive of the weekend.
 退屈な日常をさげずみ、仮想に刺激を求め、居場所を求め、価値観だけを築き. xxxxxxxx , to seek thrill for our imagination, for a place where we belong, developing only our values.

退屈な日常をさげずみ <------  さげずみ<--------I can't understand what that means, halp.

3 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

退屈な日常をさげずみ <------  さげずみ<--------I can't understand what that means, halp.

さげずみ here  is most likely a faulty writing of the verb 蔑む(sagesumu) which means to look down at.

so it probably could be translated by: "Looking down at days of boredom, seeking thrill for the imagination, looking for a place to belong, developing only our values."