Japanese Help Thread

してる = している

ばかにする = to make a fool (of someone).

Based on what you've told me, there's probably an implied subject in here somewhere (likely not the test itself, though it could be?) and the indirect object is the speaker; i.e., "Argh. She/he/it/they/the universe is making a fool out of me!" would be a literal translation. There's obviously a ton of ways to handle this line, though.

Need some help.

I'm trying to translate this, but I'm having some trouble with one part of the sentence.

それがあまりにも頻繁に夢に出てくるものだから、
これはわたし自身に芽生えてしまった気持ちへの
警告なのだと……いつしか思うようになった。

Context: The main character has just woken up from a dream she has had several times before, and remembers only one part of it.

That part is her mother saying this about the main char and her twin sister:

「お互いに足りない部分を補い合って、助け合って
……ふたりで一緒に大きくなりなさい」

The line right before the one I'm struggling with is this:

幼い頃から何度もくり返し聞かされた、
おかあさんのその言葉だけ。

How do you formulate this well in English?

それがあまりにも頻繁に夢に出てくるものだから、
これはわたし自身に芽生えてしまった気持ちへの
警告なのだと……いつしか思うようになった。

I'm not quite sure what you're struggling with here, but here's how I might render the line:

After all the times that line had come up in my dreams, at some point, my mind had grown convinced that it was a warning against the emotions that had sprouted within me.

1 minute ago, dowolf said:

I'm not quite sure what you're struggling with here, but here's how I might render the line:

After all the times that line had come up in my dreams, at some point, my mind had grown convinced that it was a warning against the emotions that had sprouted within me.

I'm just struggling with putting it into a well structured English sentence.

That helped, thanks :sachi:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling a bit with this one and feel as thou I'm missing something basic...

「うまいんですか」
「そりゃそうよ!」
「料理記者歴50年の先生でも大納得」

They are talking about making tea.

EDIT:
Some kind souls helped me see how much I had derped out when I asked that... PLease disregard.

so I'm having a little bit of trouble with this sentence

ああ、ゴミ箱に、
オレの食い残した弁当を
捨てておいてやったぜ、
ありがたく思いな <---------this little part is giving me trouble, I searched on the internet and what I get from this web http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1115462911 is like a phrase (not very common one) to say something like "well keep it/you can have it/eat it, but it's more than you deserve" like in a kind of despective way.

or did I understand everything wrong? xD

そんなところも、シーモアのマスコットとして愛される所以なのかもしれないけど。

Can't get this.... I under stand かもしれないけど means "that may be so" but I don't understand where it is referring to in this sentence.

シーモア is just the name of the Cafe

Here's the previous sentence if you need it though I don't think it gives much help :/

音琴は姉妹の中では一番小さくて可愛らしいのに、時々際どい冗談を言ったりするんだよな。

7 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Can't get this.... I under stand かもしれないけど means "that may be so" but I don't understand where it is referring to in this sentence.

Here's the previous sentence if you need it though I don't think it gives much help :/

I think it is something like this:

that may be the reason that the mascot of shimoa is loved.
He is like explaining why at that moment the mascot is loved but  he is not 100% certain of it.

Halp with this

こうして、thus,
わたしの腹の上で腰を動かしている時にだって、 when he is moving his hips above my stomach,
わたしの顔を見ようとしない。he doesn't even try to see my face. <---he refuses to see/avoid, doesnt have to see? I don't know who to make this whole sentences make sense in english xD I get what's going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

イカレてるに決まってんじゃん。 <---I just don't understand what that means, they are talking about a girl, they need to break her down, they decided that they need to do that?

8 hours ago, iamnoob said:

I think there are two typos. 愛されるところなのかもしれない and 時々酷い冗談を言ったりする

He's saying that her saying mean jokes once in a while is also part of the reason she's loved as the mascot.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

I think it is something like this:

that may be the reason that the mascot of shimoa is loved.
He is like explaining why at that moment the mascot is loved but  he is not 100% certain of it.

Halp with this

こうして、thus,
わたしの腹の上で腰を動かしている時にだって、 when he is moving his hips above my stomach,
わたしの顔を見ようとしない。he doesn't even try to see my face. <---he refuses to see/avoid, doesnt have to see? I don't know who to make this whole sentences make sense in english xD I get what's going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

イカレてるに決まってんじゃん。 <---I just don't understand what that means, they are talking about a girl, they need to break her down, they decided that they need to do that?

1) He won't look at me. Or look me in the eye, or face or whatever. He refuse to look at me. All depends on the context how strong you want to make it.

2) "Of course he/she/it/you/me is crazy!" Can't tell you want whoever means by that without context.

yay I was correct :P 

I still cant understand these sentence  イカレてるに決まってんじゃん   so literally it means ( without a doubt she is break down(mentally)/crazy.) that was too literal for me and so I didn't understand it but now it makes sense.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Deep Blue said:

yay I was correct :P 

I still cant understand these sentence  イカレてるに決まってんじゃん   so literally it means ( without a doubt she is break down(mentally)/crazy.) that was too literal for me and so I didn't understand it but now it makes sense.

Thanks!

イカレてる = crazy

に決まってんじゃん = に決まってるじゃないですか = of course/for sure/duh/no shit

That's all I can really say without context.

I hate street slang or whatever this is >_> full dialogue, there is nothing else beside this.

おう、ジジイ、てめえHey you bastard, old geezer,
トイレの中でなにしゃがんでやがる。 are they actually asking him why he is crouching inside the bathroom?  <------------what is this? Am I translating something wrong, why should be crouching/squatting in the first place :komari:
ここはオメエの専有物かよ、Is this thing/object your property(he is the only one allowed to use it) here?
ふざけんじゃねえぞ。so stop fucking with me/us.
このトレイはみんなで使う、みんなの物だ。This toilet is for the use of everyone, it's everyone's object.
出ていきやがれ、とっとと出てけ。So get the fuck out of here, get out fast!
―――はい、はい、すぐ行きます、Yes, yes, I will leave at once,
すぐ出て行きます、I will leave quickly,
すいません、sorry,
すいません、sorry,
すいません。sorry.

I doubt they literally mean "Why are you crouching here" - more likely it's just "What are you doing here" with しゃがむ used to lower his position (in addition to the -やがる). "What do you think you're doing crawling around in here, worm"

And for the next sentence, this is indeed something like "Do you think this place is yours alone or what?"

why use such a weird word to describe that situation :pyaa:

しゃがむ  is used to crouch and squat, (specially for women when they pee in japanese bathrooms ) so why use it with him when you do have an specific verb/s to describe that situation, maybe they are implying that he is like a girl too or I just missed that fact that crouching is something normal in japan and not here in my country :P 

Maybe is my problem from trying to understand everything so literally :ph34r:

Hey, could anyone help me with this line? 

「あっ、ほんとだ! なに、親しみの表れってやつ?」

Context: Koharu is performing as a baton swinger, and she sees MC after she's done.  They meet up, and she shows him Tama-sensei's face on the baton.

あ、ほら、見て見てっ。バトンにタマ先生の顔も描いちゃったよっ  [Ah, here, look look~! Tama-sensei's face is drawn on the baton.] (Koharu)

「あっ、ほんとだ! なに、親しみの表れってやつ?」 [Ah, it's true! Whatsit, the overly friendly teacher?] (MC) <- my best attempt at a TL

「このほうがおもしろいかなって。  [ I thought it would be interesting this way. ](Koharu)

More literally, (Ah, It's true! What, that intimately appearing guy?)

Good point about traditional squatting toilets @Deep Blue, didn't even think about that. You'll find that men, too, squat when using one. You especially  don't want to be standing up while doing a #2.

@TastefulSardine: Koharu drew Tama's face on the bat herself (it's 描いちゃった; "is drawn" would be 描いてある). MC: "Ah, you're right! Is this that 'expression of intimacy' thing?" (Both 親しみ and 表れ are nouns, and やつ doesn't have to be a person)

What do you guys recommend using here:

でもおじさん、紙がありません。But mister, I don't have any paper/there isn't any paper. <-------dialog
拭くための紙は、どこ?Where is the paper to clean myself?<----------- dialog
かみなんかない。Things like paper* don't exist. <----------her inner thoughts 
どこにもない。 Nowhere <------- inner thoughts 

my problem is that she clearly is referring to god too in the second part replacing 紙 with かみ is a "kanji pun" or I don't know how to call this :P  so how the hell do I translate this? Do I add a note explaining that or maybe add paper/god or I don't do anything at all and leave it as paper

:shrug:

I don't know if this is correct, something doesnt make sense 

Spoiler

たった一つだけのお友だちMy only single friend.
それさえもAnd even so,
わたしは守れなかった I couldn't protect him.

わたしは、I,
この世の中が嫌いhate this world,
世の中が、and this world
わたしをhates me
嫌っているようにjust as I do

わたしは自分が大事だ I, myself, am valuable.
この世の中全てよりも、Above everything else in this world,
自分の方が大事だ I am valuable.  

わたしは自分が大事だからI, myself, am valuable and for that,
世の中なんかのために for the sake of this world,
自分を売ったりしない I don't do things like sell myself.

だから、because of that,
世の中はさらに、the world,
わたしを憎むのか、 detest me? 

だから、because of that 
わたしは I'm
一人ぼっちなのか、in solitude?

だから、because of that
わたしは I'm going to
いつまでたっても、no matter how much time passes
このままなのか。stay like this?

でもbut

それでもeven so

わたしは、世界が嫌いだI hate this world!
大ッ嫌いI loath it!

this doesnt make sense for me and it the context of the plot
わたしは自分が大事だからI myself am valuable and for that
世の中なんかのために for the sake of this world,
自分を売ったりしない I don't (do things like) sell myself.

12 hours ago, TastefulSardine said:

From what I've seen, you can either do a TL note or make up your own pun :). 

For the lines at the bottom, it goes along the lines of :

Because I value myself, I won't sell myself out for the sake of the world.

Also, instead of saying I, myself, am valuable.  I would say I value myself.

that was really helpful " out for the sake of the world. " that's what I was looking for xD

かみなんかない

This is like "There's no such thing as paper."/"There's no way there'd be something like paper."

The なんか is strengthening the statement compared to かみがない

Same here

世の中なんかのために
自分を売ったりしない

While grammatically the たりする does mean "do things like this and that", when people use it in the negative, especially with just a single action, it's main function is as a strengthener:

"I won't do something like sell myself" (note the strong, emotional tone)

For the pun maybe you could go:

"Paper, it doesn't exist." (God, he doesn't exist.)
Nowhere.

Basically like a TL note without actually saying "TL note"

Not really related, but man what's with the forums having huge spacing between lines?

On 2016/5/15 at 8:19 PM, TastefulSardine said:

Hey, could anyone help me with this line? 

Context: Koharu is performing as a baton swinger, and she sees MC after she's done.  They meet up, and she shows him Tama-sensei's face on the baton.

あ、ほら、見て見てっ。バトンにタマ先生の顔も描いちゃったよっ  [Ah, here, look look~! Tama-sensei's face is drawn on the baton.] (Koharu)

「あっ、ほんとだ! なに、親しみの表れってやつ?」 [Ah, it's true! Whatsit, the overly friendly teacher?] (MC) <- my best attempt at a TL

「このほうがおもしろいかなって。  [ I thought it would be interesting this way. ](Koharu)

More literally, (Ah, It's true! What, that intimately appearing guy?)

表れ is like a manifestation, a symptom in which a normally hidden property shows itself.

Ah, you're right! Would you call that, a sign of their closeness?