Japanese Help Thread

Mod edit: Just ask any questions related to japanese here (sentences you're stuck on, points you can't wrap your head around, etc).

In the case of sentences try to provide a brief context (what's going on in this scene, what's the line before and the line after that one...).

Use that thread for finding and asking about resources to learn japanese.

You can ask for help here for japanese sentences you are stuck on, preferably fan TL related stuff.

To make it easier, paste in some context for the line you need help on (e.g. provide couple of lines before & after the one you are stuck on)

made this post because i saw peipei's intro thread and then i remembered, we don't have one of these yet!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Down

I know some people are scared of asking questions because they fear they might lose some 4chan readership. Don't be.

Firstly, don't translate for these small communities. Just don't. They make up but a tiny fraction of the full VN reading audience. The VAST majority of VN readers are just normal people who understand that you are just a fan like them, but different because you love it enough to want to contribute, that you are not a professional, that most of you are just hobbyist japanese students, and that you are contributing out of your free time, and that they do not expect you to be perfect.

I can personally assure you that the publishing platform for non-core readers is much much bigger now, much bigger than /jp/ or vndb. you do not need to rely on the readership of these small asshole communities. So don't feel threatened by it. Steer clear of that audience no matter what.

lol, what's 4chan? But seriously, taking a bunch of permatrolls seriously is a waste of time and energy. Even if you are jaded you should make an effort to be a decent human being. I don't join major social networks, as a personal policy. My primary reasons are my belief that the human brain degenerates when it is exposed to large groups of people as opposed to conversations with a smaller group and my distaste for people who can't bring themselves to look at reality. Not only that, obsessing over other people's opinion of you - in the form of kudos, thumbs ups, etc. - has a lot of bad effects on an individual's mental health. Cynicism and constructive criticism are one thing, but being poisonous without making a legitimate point is a habit far too many people are into on the net.

Yeah, I know that first hand. <_<

They complain about how fast I do my translation and mock my country too.

Well, I don't care. I seen the worst in my real life.

I think their don't even know how we translate the game at all.

Beside, I have a friend who is the troll too :P

Is it okay if I put some japanese sentences that I stuck on

I'm very afraid about posting this japanese sentences

I don't see why not.

Haha, I'll probably make use of this thread :)/> And I'll try to help out if I can!

Same here, if I get stuck I'll probably post here as well. I'll also give a hand if possible as well.

So... It's okay to abuse it. :P/>

平常心

Can you translate that? someone chant it when try to concentrate.

That's a slightly tough one, but it is similar to the saying "peace of mind". If they chant it, then you can translate it as some way to calm oneself. Maybe something like "keep calm", etc.

So... It's okay to abuse it. :P/>/>/>/>

平常心

Can you translate that? someone chant it when try to concentrate.

Dictionary says:

平常心 【へいじょうしん】 (n) one's self-possession; one's presence of mind

Some examples:

平常心

one's sense〔通例、one's senses〕

平常心を保つ

keep (one's) cool [calm]〔【対】lose one's calm〕

平常心を保つことが難しくなってきている。

Tempers are fraying.◆【使い方に注意】fray〈比喩〉

平常心を保つ訓練をする

train one's mind to be calm

平常心を取り戻す

get oneself under control

平常心を失う

fly [get] into a temper [fury, passion, rage, tantrum]

lose one's block

lose one's calm〔【対】keep one's calm〕

lose one's nerve

wig out

最近平常心を失っている

haven't been oneself recently

And goo:

へいじょうしん【平常心】

one's presence of mind 平常心で臨めBe your natural self./Don't panic.

And some more translation examples from weblio:

http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/%E5%B9%B3%E5%B8%B8%E5%BF%83

平常心

Level-headedness, presence of mind. It is also frequently used as a mantra to tell oneself to calm down when one is nervous (like before a job interview). Heijoushin wo tamotte! could be translated as 'please be calm!' for instance. Remember to post context when you ask for a translation, lol. A lot of these things have different meanings depending on context.

• 1 month later...

そういえば、あの未確認飛行妖怪

結局、仏門に入門したみたいよ
お寺で寝泊まりだってさ

やっぱり地底は嫌みたいね
普通の妖怪は

Something about youkais, Buddhism, a temple, disliking and the underground is what I could make of that phrase. I still have much to learn, huh. Anyway, anyone can tl it to me?

そういえば、あの未確認飛行妖怪 = Come to think of it, that is an unidentified flying monster.

結局、仏門に入門したみたいよ = In the end, it likes the introduction to priesthood

お寺で寝泊まりだってさ = Also stay at temple too.

やっぱり地底は嫌みたいね = Something like underground is hated after all.

普通の妖怪は = A usual monster.

Sorry for my bad engrish  :unsure:

That seems to be one big sentence/dialogue to me, not several small fragments. So it probably looks like this:

そういえば、あの未確認飛行妖怪結局、仏門に入門したみたいよ。お寺で寝泊まりだってさ。やっぱり地底は嫌みたいね、普通の妖怪は。

In which case, the TL would be: 

"Come to think of it, that unidentified flying monster did appear to become a monk after all. I mean, he's (it's?) staying at a temple and everything. As expected, your average demon (youkai) does seem to dislike underground places."

As usual, context is everything, and there's not much here to work with but I tried.

そういえば、あの未確認飛行妖怪 = Come to think of it, that is an unidentified flying monster.

結局、仏門に入門したみたいよ = In the end, it likes the introduction to priesthood

お寺で寝泊まりだってさ = Also stay at temple too.

やっぱり地底は嫌みたいね = Something like underground is hated after all.

普通の妖怪は = A usual monster.

Sorry for my bad engrish  :unsure:

I'm only good for editing so I'll just edit this sentence into a whole.

Now that I think about, that's a flying monster isn't it?./ Now that think about, that's a UFM. (Writing unidentified is too much of a hassle)

And for some reason, it likes the introduction to priesthood,

and staying at the temple as well,

but something like that is hated after all.

It's a monster after all.

(I hope I edited it well>> XD)

this thread is so perfect~! I've been stuck on countless scripts because I couldn't understand a sentenace or 2! Please help me! :3

-私は気配を感じるなどという器用な真似はできないが

-あんたとゆっくり話がしてえんだ

-あんたに食わせてやりてえもんがたっくさんあるんだよ

-お嬢様がどうのという件といい、

-あなた達二人でしていらっしゃい

Thank you so much! There are some others I'm stuck on, but these are the ones that have been giving me grief for weeks!