Japanese Help Thread

11 hours ago, Down said:

"It's Upon Lime tea" (not sure what kind of tea this is supposed to be). "A friend from school (college?) recommended it to me. He said that in a hospital room there probably hardly would be anything but hot water, so that would do."

Btw are you just reading this thing or translating it? It's probably not the greatest idea to attempt a translation at your level. Translation doesn't really work to enhance one's skills before you get confident enough.

I'm translating it.

I am unsure how I would translate these to English:

……いや、欄外の一番目立つところか。
入れ食い状態で、食いついてくること請け合いだ。
俺にとって大切なのは、これからめくるカレンダーだ。
こちらから向こうは見えるし、その逆もまたしかり。
「相手のことは、とりあえずしゃべってみて決めることにしてる」

Would also appreciate if anyone would be willing to answer some questions regarding these sentences.

On 1/20/2016 at 8:22 AM, The Last Melody said:

……いや、欄外の一番目立つところか。
入れ食い状態で、食いついてくること請け合いだ。
こちらから向こうは見えるし、その逆もまたしかり。

Would also appreciate if anyone would be willing to answer some questions regarding these sentences.

These are really difficult. This one is "For now, I've decided to talk to the opponent." The others are too difficult for me.

JA likes repeating things. 決める and にする both mean "decide," you only need to write this once. 相手 is the "opponent." Like, the other person who is not you when talking to someone, or the other person who is not you in some kind of relationship. Or an actual opponent in some kind of competition.

@mitchhamilton do you have proper dumps? It seems like you have a lot of questions. Is there a thread for your project?

There is something that has mystified me for years.  In the English TL of Brave Soul, Backy is referred to as a "fickle beefer."  Now, this makes basically no sense in English.  Does anyone know what that was in Japanese and have a less nonsensical translation for it?  As someone who very decisively beefs at the all you can eat yakiniku joint I am most perplexed at the thought of doing so in a fickle manner. 

On 20/1/2016 at 2:22 PM, The Last Melody said:

……いや、欄外の一番目立つところか。
入れ食い状態で、食いついてくること請け合いだ。
こちらから向こうは見えるし、その逆もまたしかり。

Context would help. What's the scene about? What are they talking about before that and after that?

It's several different scenes, I've highlighted the troublesome ones.

First, we have a monologue by the protag while traveling and after just arriving at his destination:

Spoiler

<jaT0040>行った先のいちいちを記憶してたら、頭がパンクしてしまう。
<jaT0041>破り取ったカレンダーには、せいぜいメモ用紙くらいの意味しかない。
<jaT0042>俺にとって大切なのは、これからめくるカレンダーだ。
<jaT0043>タクシーの運転手に道を聞き、学院に向かう。
<jaT0044>どうやら、山の斜面にある白い建物群がそれらしい。

Spoiler

<jaT0056>だが、そこには名状しがたい窮屈さがあった。
<jaT0057>例えるなら、ガラスのケースに入ったまま生活しているような気分だ。
<jaT0058>こちらから向こうは見えるし、その逆もまたしかり。
<jaT0059>でも、外界の何かに触れることはできない。

<jaT0060>もしかしたら、吸ってる空気も違うのかもしれない。
<jaT0061>だが今の俺は違う。

Then we have a melancholic conversation between two guys about to fall asleep

Spoiler

A: <jaT0482>「そういうことか」
A: <jaT0483>「ま、あれだ。いろんな学校で人見てきたからな」
A: <jaT0484>「相手のことは、とりあえずしゃべってみて決めることにしてる」
A: <jaT0485>「見上げたもんだ」
B: <jaT0486>「それやってて、今まで後悔したことはないよ」

Then a girl in her room alone, contemplating on her meeting with a stranger (probably love at first sight):

Spoiler

<jaT0516>その名前は、いきなり名簿のトップに躍進していた。
<jaT0517>……いや、欄外の一番目立つところか。
<jaT0518>まあ顔は悪くない。

Spoiler

<jaT0530>ここで負けるわけにはいかない。
<jaT0531>ちょっとしゃくだが、相談してみるか。
<jaT0532>入れ食い状態で、食いついてくること請け合いだ。
<jaT0533>それを考えると頭が痛いが、背に腹は替えられない。
<jaT0535>もう一度、その名を口にする。

Again, I would be very thankful for any help.

27 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

<jaT0042>俺にとって大切なのは、これからめくるカレンダーだ。

"What's important for me are the calendar pages I'll tear off from now on."

It's not really well formulated but he's making a metaphor to say that the past is the past and what's important is what he'll do from now on.

30 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

<jaT0058>こちらから向こうは見えるし、その逆もまたしかり。
<jaT0059>でも、外界の何かに触れることはできない。

"From the inside, you can see the outside, and conversely."

Or, more literally, "from here, you can see over there, and conversely".

And "But you can't touch anything from that outside world". A proper translation might need to rewrite the sentences so that they sound better.

34 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

A: <jaT0484>「相手のことは、とりあえずしゃべってみて決めることにしてる」

I'm not 100% sure because I'm not sure if I get what they're talking about.

Quite literally it'd probably be "When dealing with someone, I first try to talk to them and decide from there".

38 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

"Or rather the one [name] that stands out the most in the margin".

47 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

This one is difficult. I'm not sure I understand well enough the context. One guess I have is the following: 入れ食い状態 when used is fishing means "getting a bite at every cast". But it's also a metaphor for someone (usually a man) who dates/has sex with multiple people (usually women) and switches between them regularly.  The second part would then be "you're bound to get bitten", which plays on the first part.

Of course I don't know if that fits the context or not.

Tell me if you have questions.

Haha, that last one is pretty tricky, ya.

I'm not sure if any of your suggestions fit either...

Arrrg, it's making my head swim to think about it right now...

Would it help if I provided more context to the last one?

Again, many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Also, how do:

tie into the previous sentence?

Edited by The Last Melody

1:
"What's important for me are the calendar pages I'll tear off from now on."
It's actually flip over, but not a big difference.

2:
To use a metaphor, it's like living in a glass case.
I can see what's on the other side of the case. Those on the other side can also see me clearly.
But I can not experience the outside world for myself.

Or just be blunt and literal. "I can see the things on the outside. They can also see me clearly. But I can not experience the outside world."

3. "When dealing with someone, I first try to talk to them and decide from there".
Without more context, it sounds more like "Anyways, for my opponents/companion, I'll try talking to them first and decide from there."

4. I don't think it's getting bitten. If it was it should have been 噛み to avoid confusion. 食いつく also comes from fishing and means show intense interest.
I'd be more confident with more context, but from what little provided it sounds like she's worried that he casted a bait and she fell for it. I could be wrong though.

More context coming up:

Spoiler

<jaT0518>まあ顔は悪くない。
<jaT0519>不作法な感じもしない。
<jaT0520>プラスかマイナスかといわれればプラスだ。
<jaT0521>ただ、それと胸の暴走はこれっぽっちも関係ない。
<jaT0522>と思う。
<jaT0523>正直参った。
<jaT0524>こんなのは初めてだ。
<jaT0525>理屈を越えたものが身体を勝手に動かしている。
<jaT0526>このままコントロールを失ったら、
<jaT0527>自分は……
<jaT0528>そう思うと、いろんなものが頭を駆けめぐる。
<jaT0529>「……」
<jaT0530>ここで負けるわけにはいかない。
<jaT0531>ちょっとしゃくだが、相談してみるか。

Your interpretation also makes alot of sense with the context, both before and after, in fact, it fits perfectly.

And your translation of the 2nd one helps me alot with piecing it together, in fact, it makes me wonder what I was thinking when I marked it down as something to check out...

Thanks alot for the help Parallel ^_^

EDIT:
Anyone knows what the little ゃ means here?
撮影してりゃ校内の建物も覚えるだろ

Edited by The Last Melody

11 hours ago, flame said:

@mitchhamilton do you have proper dumps? It seems like you have a lot of questions. Is there a thread for your project?

No i dont because, even though im confident that ill finish it, its gonna take me a loooong time to do so. ive been thinking about recruiting some help but i just dont wanna be in a position where someone just drops out without telling anyone, or they get half way through until they realize they cant do it and dont give back what they accomplished, etc etc. not sying this will be the case 100% of the time, i just wish to avoid that.

7 hours ago, The Last Melody said:

Also, how do:

tie into the previous sentence?

Edited 5 hours ago by The Last Melody

What I'd go with would be something like:

His/her/that/the name had catapulted straight to the top of my list.
...No, maybe it was out in the margins, where it would stand out the most.

りゃ is short for れば here.

The way I parsed it is: the の at the end of the first sentence is just sentence-ending の (or maybe a nominalizer one? but you don't need it if the って is the way I parse it). って is the colloquial citation, so it'd be something like "about the fact that [your words upset me]". The からかも[しれない] at the end comes at the beginning as "Perhaps the reason why".

The 改めて is rendered as "already" here (more or less). I think it's a good way to do it.

The rest is pretty straightforward, I think?

so the guy is getting out of the hospital and a girl comes to congratulate him on being discharged. she brings him a bouquet and he then says

「うん。家に戻ったら、すぐに生けるよ」 now i pretty much know he says he'll find a place for them once he gets home. then what follows kind of gets me confused. i think shes sad that once he gets home she'll never see him again but just to be sure, here what follows.

「なんか、過ぎてみればあっという間だったかな」

「そうですね……あっという間、でした」

「でも、これで気ままな一人暮らしに戻れるよ」

「やはり、病院はお嫌でしたか?」

「綾乃ちゃんがお見舞いに来てくれたおかげで、そうでもなかったかな。病院食も、意外と美味しかったし」

「そうですね。最近は、病院の料理もだいぶ美味しくなったと、親戚の集まりで聞いたことがあります」

「そうだね。でも、ちょっと濃いめの味付けが恋しくなってきたところだし、ちょうどいいかも」

I'm not sure what's confusing you, so I just went ahead and translated it:

「なんか、過ぎてみればあっという間だったかな」

Looking back, it feels like it all happened so quickly. (literally, "now that we've tried going through it")

「そうですね……あっという間、でした」

Yeah... Everything went by so fast.

「でも、これで気ままな一人暮らしに戻れるよ」

But now I (you? I'm assuming every line flips speakers and there's exactly two, but...) can go back to living alone the way I like.

「やはり、病院はお嫌でしたか?」

So you really did hate the hospital?

「綾乃ちゃんがお見舞いに来てくれたおかげで、そうでもなかったかな。病院食も、意外と美味しかったし」

Not that much, I guess, since you came to visit me. (possibly "were always coming" or "kept coming," depending on context.) And the hospital food tasted a lot better than I expected.

「そうですね。最近は、病院の料理もだいぶ美味しくなったと、親戚の集まりで聞いたことがあります」

I see. I did hear at my last family gathering that hospital food has started tasting a lot better as of late.

「そうだね。でも、ちょっと濃いめの味付けが恋しくなってきたところだし、ちょうどいいかも」

Yeah, maybe. But I was just starting to miss food with stronger flavoring, so this might be just the right timing.

so the mc is at his dorm with the girl and they run into his manager. the girl introduces herself and then the manager. what throws me off is the name of the dorm. i cant figure it out.

「はじめまして。私はこの陣富荘の管理人をしております、小沢見 千景(こぞみちかげ)です」

also, dont bother looking up her name at vndb. she most certainly is NOT in the vn im translating, so dont waste your time.

im serious dont do it. it isnt her.

seriously, its not her.

Seriously.