Japanese Help Thread

微妙すぎるイケメン

イケメン = handsome guy (kinda slangish, but not always negative implication. イケメンにしかい許さないこと)

微妙  = in this case closest to 怪しい

I like dowolf's Super-Iffy Hottie most, and can't really think of a better english translation at the moment. 

Guard「そうでもないんですよ」

Girl「えっ…」
まるで、わたしの考えを見透かしたような彼の言葉だった。

Guard「中には戦争が起きることを、望む人間も居るのです」

Girl「そんな…」

Guard「貴女を殺せば、戦争を始める格好の口実となります。どうか気をつけて下さい」 <---this last sentences I don't know if I got the meaning correctly.

Is he saying that, if they kill her it will be a pretext to start a war so she should take care/be careful?

what the heck does this mean:

あったけえ
あったけぇ

ending with  or sometimes
:wacko:

あったけえ  is 暖かい made to sound "manly".

な is supposed to be a corruption of ね. や is 関西弁 for だ. I think. But they really doesn't mean anything. It's like saying "It's waaarm" or "It's warm~" or something.

what the heck does this mean:

あったけえ
あったけぇ

ending with  or sometimes
:wacko:

あったけえ  is 暖かい made to sound "manly".

な is supposed to be a corruption of ね. や is 関西弁 for だ. I think. But they really doesn't mean anything. It's like saying "It's waaarm" or "It's warm~" or something.

thanks, yeah I thought it was some kind of phrase derived from another word, now it makes sense.

For some reason Arcana's Light §3.11.2 is much longer than most of the others I've seen so far, and I feel it should have been broken into at least three or four sections, given that it has at least four scenes. Anyhow, I've got another perplexing sentence here. Context is that the Hierophant Hymnus is explaining to his daughter Harp about how he and his elder brother (the father of Harp's cousin Analiese whom Caprese encounters in a previous chapter) received revelations from the god Mithras giving divine revelations that order them to slay a pair of twins who are prophesied to bring chaos and destruction to the world. A portion of their conversation goes like this:

Hymnus: だが…兄が…双子を助けていた…

Harp: お父様の…わたしのおじさまが?

Hymnus: そうだ…いくらミトラ神のお告げでも…幼子を殺すに忍びないとな…それを機会に兄は…法王家とを別った

My translation:

Hymnus: However, my elder brother rescued the twins...

Harp: Father, you mean my uncle?

Hymnus: That's right... However many revelations from Lord Mithras, he could not bring himself to slay a child. So when the opportunity came, he separated himself from the House of the Hierophant and (袂  == ???).

That seems to be more or less the gist of it, but what is this 袂 (たもと) that he says along with 法王家 (the Hierophant's Noble House)? My dictionary says 袂 means 'sleeve', 'pocket of a sleeve', 'vicinity', or 'foot of a mountain' but I can't think of any of these meanings that would make sense within the context.

A few other notes/suggestions regarding the translation:

--Consider dropping "elder."

--Perhaps have Harp say "My uncle did that?" Whenever there's a "confirming" line like this (I have no idea what to actually call them in English), I try to make it sound as not-blase as possible.

--While いくら can mean "how many," here, it means "even if." (c.f. いくらなんでも, an expression you've probably encountered somewhere before.)

Edited by dowolf

限りなく透明に近くブルーで今日も

it's the tittle of one of the songs in yume miru kusuri, I've seen many translations for it and I still don't think any of those are correct.

also "blue" I'm sure it's meant for sad and not the color, I think I understand the meaning but I just can't find a translation that fits for it.

限りなく透明に近くブルーで今日も

it's the tittle of one of the songs in yume miru kusuri, I've seen many translations for it and I still don't think any of those are correct.

also "blue" I'm sure it's meant for sad and not the color, I think I understand the meaning but I just can't find a translation that fits for it.

Just use blue. If it means melancholy by connotation then keep it that way. If it is the color then you also are right.

It also reads like a chorus line so I don't want to translate it without the rest.

限りなく透明に近くブルーで今日も

Just use blue. If it means melancholy by connotation then keep it that way. If it is the color then you also are right.

It also reads like a chorus line so I don't want to translate it without the rest.

there is nothing else, is just the title of the song and nothing more since the song is instrumental, that's why is so hard to find a proper translation I think :P 

can 逢 replace 会 in a sentence and vice-versa? 

let's say 遭った for 会った, or do they have different meanings or uses?

There's a very slight connotative difference between them.

They all mean "meet". 逢う is more like "fated to meet" with a feeling of mutual affection.

遭う is the opposite. It carries a connotation of an unexpected meeting wanted by neither parties. It's also used for ひどい目に遭う.

There's also 遇う which carries a meeting by accident connotation (neutral or positive).

会う is neutral and all-purpose. If you don't know what to use, use this one.

Edited by Parallel Pain

So there's these 2 lines of dialogue in which a character is talking about the Japanese novel The Tale of Genji 

あの頃は男尊女卑の時代でしたから多くの女の人は権力闘争の犠牲になってしまっているのです

若紫だけは愛情をたっぷり注がれて育ったおかげで
多くの人を惹きつけたのです

I understand the first sentence (just put it there for extra context), but I'm a bit at a loss with the last two, especially since I know nothing about the novel, so I'm unsure what I should translate 若紫 into or what it even refers to here.
I also don't really understand the meaning of the sentence either, but maybe it's just because I haven't read the story. 
Wikipedia says 若紫 is the name of chapter 5, but that just makes it sound even more confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

じゃ、ひとまず解散
Well then, for the time being let's call it a day. 
I think that fits after ending a meeting

But you can change the last part for anything that you think fits better like, "you are dismissed/excused" "this is it for the session of today" "let's call it for today" "the meeting is over" etc etc