Japanese Help Thread

義経、いいのか? 与一が衆道にそまってしまうかもしれないぞ

I need help finding the equivalent to 衆道.

Basically, some way to refer to homosexualify in such a way that the average person wouldn't understand.

Any ideas?

Why do you need the average person to not understand?

The formal academic term is Pederasty.

Shudo is the Japanese form.

homosexualify

"Homosexualify" sounds like an awesome word that should be implemented more often. :sleep:

If it's relating specifically to lesbians, then "sapphism" would work. I can't think of anything in particular to refer to general homosexuality that is also a formal term, not, for example, "to swing that way." However, you might be able to assemble something depending on the circumstances using this Wikipedia page of more esoteric terms (e.g. androphilia, urningtum, homogenic love), with careful regard to each word's nuances, of course.

lol typo.

Sorry, in more detail, it's homosexuality, male on male (same age).

Traditionally Shudo is the idea of a sexual relationship between an adult male court official or samurai and a younger male, often adolescent and usually his page. So Pederasty would fit the traditional definition.

Of course I don't know how what you're trying to translate is using the word.

Context: Majikoi A-1

Yoshitsune and Benkei are girls. Yasuno Yoichi and Aoi Touma are boys. They're in the same class.

Aoi Touma is hitting on Yasuno Yoichi.

Main character, with the above quote, is asking Yoshitsune if she shouldn't do something about it.

However, Yoshitsune doesn't understand what Shudo is.

I'm starting to think I should just go with Shudo.

Context: Majikoi A-1

Yoshitsune and Benkei are girls. Yasuno Yoichi and Aoi Touma are boys. They're in the same class.

Aoi Touma is hitting on Yasuno Yoichi.

Main character, with the above quote, is asking Yoshitsune if she shouldn't do something about it.

However, Yoshitsune doesn't understand what Shudo is.

I'm starting to think I should just go with Shudo.

*pops in*

I wouldn't go with "pederasty" here because, in context, the two people are the same age (and everyone in the conversation knows this). Also, while I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, I do note that the Japanese Wikipedia introduces 衆道 as "a homosexual relationship between military individuals," while defining 若衆 as "shudo where the receiving partner is an adolescent boy." This would suggest that the defining characteristic of shudo is that both are warriors, not that the relationship is pederastic.

So I imagine the author chose 衆道 here because of the military connotations, as you noted, and "pederasty" lacks these connotations. Consider perhaps "sodomy" instead--while it still lacks military connotations, it removes the age-gap ones. Unfortunately, there's no real word in English that I know of for "military lovers," thanks to Puritan homophobia.

*pops out*

You could play off the obscure historical aspect of what`s being said and say `He might end up joining the Sacred Band of Thebes`

The problem with that is that this is comedy. If the reader doesn't understand the term, the joke falls flat; and if the joke falls flat, the translation has failed. So I would recommend against going too obscure.

Ahhh. Well if the objective is comedy I think we should throw out all the historical/obscure context stuff and just make it some silly euphemism for homosexuality that all the readers would know but that goes over the other girl`s head. 

`He might start... playing for the other team`

Or... wow is that the only non-super-offensive euphemism I know for homosexuality? I don`t know if that`s a really good or really bad thing. Huh.

I suppose I will go with Sodomy here, since you will inevitably be the one checking it, dowolf.

And I have another one.

おは幼女

A pun between Ohayou and Youjo.

A good-morning combined with a tease involving lolicon.

How do you make this happen -.-

And I'm nowhere near close to it yet, but I know I'm going to have a hard time, so:

At one point, Yamato has to cross a forest, and he has a few paths to choose from.

One of the paths names something that's dangerous, but becomes not dangerous if you use a pun with its name.

(In the game, it's Dokugumo (poison spider) -> Doku kumo (spider that gets out of your way)).

I need help coming up with something else that can replace this, and it must make sense in a forest.

(Or maybe not. Some of the choices are really weird).

I've seen translations where people put down the word in English i.e "poisonous spider" then next to it is the Japanese word in closed brackets "Dokugumo", I don't know if this is viable but it could help you out when it comes to  translating puns.

• 3 weeks later...

例えば、まだ見ぬ幸せへの憧れだったり

I can't figure out the last part. isnt akogare to yearn or desire for something? isn't datta for names and adj? what is dattari :/

Need a bit more context.

But working from that single line:

In this case だったり - or だったりして - is (probably - I'll be more sure with more lines) being used as a kind of "be" verb, with the connotation of a bit shy, slightly uncomfortable with sharing this kind of information, sort of thing.

For example: "Making plastic models is like kind of my hobby." "Drawing random cars is sort of someothing I do."

憧れ as a noun is a desire, longing, yearning, hunger,  dream, etc. It's something you wish you had.

So putting that together, it's something like

"It's kind of like my longing for the happiness I don't have yet" (literately "the happiness I can't yet see").

Or if she's not so poetic but more blunt type (doesn't seem like it, but that's one line)

"I kinda wish my life was happy like that."