Japanese Help Thread

This is indeed a very basic question, but it has been nagging at me for awhile...

Is aho/Baka a noun or an adjective? Is it is indeed an adjective, then is it a na or i adjective? Could I say something such as "baka na (some noun)"?

I did say one question, but it becomes three if the first is answered as an adjective. I know as a fact that the third question wouldn't be used often, but my curiosity is overwhelming my reason at the moment.

Its both. NA adjective. "Baka na Koto Iwanaide" common phrase in anime. 

I'm translating a song, "To the End" to japanese, and am not sure my phrases make any sense. The initial line is: 

"All these dirty words,

They make us look so dumb." 

Since a proper translation would have far too many syllables, I've taken huge liberties and turned it into:

「いじわる言葉

俺ら馬鹿にするね」

Honestly, I'm not sure if I just need a particle or if it doesn't make sense at all. Anything above casual conversation is a new frontier for me.

I also need help with these lines:

"Soon it will be gone forever.

Infatuated only with ourselves," 

Went with:

「いなくなってしまう

自分だけに恋して」

Any help's appreciated.

Bakamitai or Bakanimieru sounds seems closer I think.

I also dont think mean and dirty are very similar. But I also cant think of anything better.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he means something along the lines of insults.

As for your suggestions, they wouldn't really involve the first line. I think it would turn into "Mean words. We look dumb." which was why I went with 「馬鹿にする」 Still, thanks.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he means something along the lines of insults.

As for your suggestions, they wouldn't really involve the first line. I think it would turn into "Mean words. We look dumb." which was why I went with 「馬鹿にする」 Still, thanks.

Yeah sorry not to be of much help. I am only just past the beginner stage myself. Baka ni suru works too. I just associate those words with being made fun of or looked down on. It fits the meaning but the nuance is a little different I think. I could be wrong and its hard to put into words but that was just what I thought at the moment.

koi also is not a strong enough word to match Infatuated. I think it ends up meaning loving only yourself.

Take it with a grain of salt because I probably know less than you but thats what I think.

I'm translating a song, "To the End" to japanese, and am not sure my phrases make any sense. The initial line is: 

"All these dirty words,

They make us look so dumb." 

Since a proper translation would have far too many syllables, I've taken huge liberties and turned it into:

「いじわる言葉 

俺ら馬鹿にするね」

Honestly, I'm not sure if I just need a particle or if it doesn't make sense at all. Anything above casual conversation is a new frontier for me.

I also need help with these lines:

"Soon it will be gone forever.

Infatuated only with ourselves," 

Went with:

「いなくなってしまう

自分だけに恋して」

Any help's appreciated.

僕らは侮辱し合って

ばかを見る

やがて永遠に失ってしまう

大切なモノを うぬぼれに満ちてるうちに

-

「自分だけに恋して」implies that you want to get in bed with yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm translating a VN (1st timer) and there're a few lines I'm not sure how to deal with, any help would be appreciated.

1) 

笹塚の野郎……蛙の解剖じゃあるまいし俺をステンレスの台の上に載せやがって。

It means being a guinea pig? And what is that "ステンレス" stainless what?

2)

ごりり。

That's probably an onomatopoeia, but I got no idea what it means, and I think it might be somewhat relevant.

3)

Person A: 今朝のお話しなんですけど……やはり、わたくしの『おうち』は無関係ですわ.

Person A: 余計な心配をさせてはいけないと思って、『おうち』に連絡してみたんです.
Person B: 信用、しろと?
Person A: 何事も、妙子さまのご自由に

嘘じゃないらしい。それは、設子の目を見れば分かる……ような気がする。

合理的に考えて、あれは『脅しである』と、俺たちを牽制する有利な材料にもなったはずだ。それをわざわざ、違うと言っている。

I pasted whole parts of a conversation I don't quite follow. Any idea what she's reffering to in the brackets, maybe some hidden meaning? Though Person B doesn't quite get it either.

The background to that coversation: Person B (修史) is looking for some1 and thought Person A (設子) might be involved. A asked her organization about it, they said they know nth.

That's it for now :)

Hey,

I'm translating a VN (1st timer) and there're a few lines I'm not sure how to deal with, any help would be appreciated.

1) 

2)

ごりり。

That's probably an onomatopoeia, but I got no idea what it means, and I think it might be somewhat relevant.

3)

I pasted whole parts of a conversation I don't quite follow. Any idea what she's reffering to in the brackets, maybe some hidden meaning? Though Person B doesn't quite get it either.

The background to that coversation: Person B (修史) is looking for some1 and thought Person A (設子) might be involved. A asked her organization about it, they said they know nth.

1 蛙の解剖じゃあるまいし俺をステンレスの台の上に載せやがって

It's not like you're gonna dissect a frog, so why put me on a stainless pan/tray?

2 Need more context

3 You mean おうち? While still lacking some context, I think it just refers to A's organization.

Hey,

1) 

2)

ごりり。

3)

1)ステンレスの台 = stainless tray

2) ごりり = sound of teeth grinding, bones (esp. back) cracking, or just a cute nickname.

3) You are right, and they sound like a pretty shady organization, which is probably why she used おうち in order to be discreet.

Hi I'm currently translating a VN and I'm stuck at this particular sentence

なんでもバイトしてたと言えば解決すると思っていませんか?

From what I think the best translation for this is " Is this not an excuse for your work?" but I still think I'm wrong in some ways. Thanks for the help.

Hi I'm currently translating a VN and I'm stuck at this particular sentence

なんでもバイトしてたと言えば解決すると思っていませんか?

From what I think the best translation for this is " Is this not an excuse for your work?" but I still think I'm wrong in some ways. Thanks for the help.

From what I can tell, that's way off. Some context would be nice though.

A:「任せて下さい。昔、電気屋でバイトしたこともあるので。商品の知識もそこそこあります」

A:「型式はちょっと古い知識ですけどね、そこは店員さんと話せばいいし」

B: 「……なんでもバイトしてたと言えば解決すると思っていませんか?」

A:「実際したんだから、仕方ないでしょう」

It's just that particular line I don't understand :)

A:「任せて下さい。昔、電気屋でバイトしたこともあるので。商品の知識もそこそこあります」

A:「型式はちょっと古い知識ですけどね、そこは店員さんと話せばいいし」

B: 「……なんでもバイトしてたと言えば解決すると思っていませんか?」

A:「実際したんだから、仕方ないでしょう」

It's just that particular line I don't understand :)

"Just telling us about all the kinds of jobs you've done isn't going to solve the problem..."

Hi sorry to bother you guys again.

A:「あは。こうして手を繋ぐのは、Bさんが一晩中、傍にいてくれた時以来ですね」
A: 「頭は撫でてもらいましたけど」
B:「そっ、そうですね。こんな風に手を繋ぐなんて、普通に暮らしている中ではあんまりないですからね」
This is the max context I can give, but I really have no idea what they are saying about. The situation right now is basically the main protagonist and the heroine were trying to hold hands for the first time and lead to the context above. 

And for another one, I think it's a Japanese joke and it's kind of hard to translate that.
36%それみたことか!0% 
期待したらこの[ざ]始[ま]末だよ!
and
お父さんか……せめてお[に]義[い]兄ちゃんならまだ

Thanks for the help! 

Hi sorry to bother you guys again.

A:「あは。こうして手を繋ぐのは、Bさんが一晩中、傍にいてくれた時以来ですね」
A: 「頭は撫でてもらいましたけど」
B:「そっ、そうですね。こんな風に手を繋ぐなんて、普通に暮らしている中ではあんまりないですからね」
This is the max context I can give, but I really have no idea what they are saying about. The situation right now is basically the main protagonist and the heroine were trying to hold hands for the first time and lead to the context above. 

And for another one, I think it's a Japanese joke and it's kind of hard to translate that.
36%それみたことか!0% 
期待したらこの[ざ]始[ま]末だよ!
and
お父さんか……せめてお[に]義[い]兄ちゃんならまだ

Thanks for the help! 

I honestly don't get what part of that you're having trouble understanding. Those are pretty straightforward.

Also the brackets with hiragana are there to tell you the reading of the kanji after it, which generally gives the phrase a double meaning (ie: a pun).

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how to translate this nicely

The situation: A kid is trying to climb a tree

それでぼくは木にとりついたのだけど、木登りなんかしたことなかった。

自分の身長くらいまで上がっては、ずるずると滑り落ちる。"

Can I get some help with this sentence? It's fairly easy but for whatever reason it's giving me trouble

Situation: MC thinking to himself while talking to an otaku girl

それはともかく……この子、ボクと感覚が違うところが多すぎるというか……。

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide