Things I Learned About Japan Through Anime

Eldin

01: pink hair is both common and completely normal.

02: everyone has at least one childhood friend that, by high school, they have completely forgotten about.

03: even if you don't like karaoke, you like karaoke.

04: the older you get, the smaller your eyes become.

05: at least one person in your class knows everything about everyone, and will tell you all about it whether or not you want to hear it.

06: nosebleeds.

07: everyone is deathly allergic to rain and will catch a cold from standing in it for more than 15 seconds.

08: despite their rain allergy, girls can run around wearing close to nothing in sub degree temperatures with no ill effect.

09: the quiet nerd will steal all the attractive single girls you know, in addition to a few you don't.

10: the path to happiness and true love is paved with the broken hearts of your sister, your childhood friend, and possibly an alien.

11: aliens speak fluent Japanese, but every other language they speak is as broken as ye olde English dentistry.

12: with little or no prior training, everyone can pilot a giant robot.

13: trained armed forces are no match for tiny teenage schoolgirls.

14: whenever a girl falls over, you get to see her panties.

15: girls have terrible balance.

16: whenever a guy falls over, you get to see her panties.

17: guys also have terrible balance.

18: parents only appear when it is least convenient for their children.

19: everybody loves eggs.

20: females of any age, size, and strength can punch your face with enough force to knock you off your feet and possibly a few feet into the air.

21: only one of one hundred girls are even remotely unattractive.

22: ghosts are f***ing scary.

23: one person in your class is an alien. one person in your class is an esper. one person in your class if from the future.

24: things fall from the sky all the time, and either nobody notices or nobody cares.

25: ore wa mo shindeiru.

07: everyone is deathly allergic to rain and will catch a cold from standing in it for more than 15 seconds.

That's one of my favorites right there...

21: only one of one hundred girls are even remotely unattractive.

I know at least one anime where it's the reverse: Yawara.

You forgot to mention the blonde-hair-blue-eyes trope.

Yes, I know this one. All westerners have blonde hair and blue eyes.

Here are some more things that surprised me over the years:

- A lot of people don't use an air conditioner.

- They still haven't discovered the Mop. They run on all fours pushing a little cloth.

- They still haven't discovered Vegetable Peelers. They use a knife and end up cutting their finger.

- You can make any flavor of drink imaginable and someone will drink it.

- Some people actually eat nattou.

- Rice, just plain steamed rice, tastes so good that people eat it by the gallon.

- There are a lot of places in Tokyo that are absolutely deserted (?)

- If you're late, you run with the toast still in your mouth.

- How do people stand sitting on their knees like that?

- If there are aliens, they somehow always focus on this little island (Japan).

- If there's a power source that supplies the world's energy, it's located in Japan.

Edited by zoom909

*Parents spend all their time on business trips and leave their child(ren) alone at home

*Catching a cold is a big deal and you can die of it

*The Student Council possesses unlimited powers within the school

*Bathroom doors are always unlocked and it's very difficult to figure out if someone is in

Girls comparing boob sizes in the bath is also another one worth noting.

Not only that, but the most wild girl will grab the boobs of the biggest-sized girl--often leading to a chain reaction where all the other girls present join in.

When a girl appears naked in front of a guy, his usual reaction is to covers his eyes and scream at her to put some clothes on.

When it's lunchtime, nobody forms a line at the lunch counter...instead they just crowd in and shove each other out of the way to get the "good" bread

*Schools have minimal to no security and they are open 24/7, courage tests and paintball gun wars are extremely common during the night at school.

*forming a club for your own amusement is completely legal

*all female science teachers/nurses have overly-large breasts and super short skirts

*If you insult/himulate the teacher, he/she will punch and kick you in the stomach, and that is also completely legal

When it's lunchtime, nobody forms a line at the lunch counter...instead they just crowd in and shove each other out of the way to get the "good" bread

That one is actually pretty close to being true in my school.

- It is completely normal for a girls boobs to be twice the size of their head

- Girls have an an invisible pocket with unlimited space, usually used for carrying large, blunt objects

- A 16 year old is always expected to be able to save the world

- A simple fever is deadly

26: Kissing a girl who hates you will result in her wanting to marry you.

27: Girls who freak out when you see their panties will drag you against your will to swimsuit stores.

28: All girls schools are filled to the brim with lesbians and androphobics.

29: All girls love boy's love.

30: the student to your left is a ninja. the student to your right is an undercover military/secret service agent. you are blissfully unaware.

this thread turned out to be far more entertaining than I expected it to be. you guys never disappoint.

except snow. that kid wrecks threads.

That one is actually pretty close to being true in my school.

Yea, I'm not really surprised.

Speaking of which, there's 2 ways to take the title of the thread. One is the sarcastic way. The other is the real way.

A few other things I found interesting:

-To rinse off soap, you have to fill up a wooden bucket with water then dump it over your head.

-People never want to touch a hamburger bun with their hands. They always hold onto it by the outside of the little paper wrapper.

-People bow a lot. Sometimes it's dangerous. Often a girl will bow her head right into a microphone or someone else's head or something.

• 2 weeks later...