Heart-warming Romance with a little bit or a lot of Drama!

-soraa

Hello!

I am looking for a good romance Visual Novel.
Two weeks ago I started with Princes Evangile and I loved Ayakas and Ritsukos route.
However I am very new in Visual Novels and I have no idea which VN I should play next. I am looking for something like:
- heart-warming romance 
- maybe with a little bit or a lot of Drama
- the protagonist gets together with the heroine very early (after the common route and not at the end) --> maybe more focus between the protagonist and heroine
- characters like Ritsuko would be nice or when the heroine is antisocial 
- no nukige, otome, yuri and yaoi games please 
- Good new art style, but nothing too old please (2008+) 
- (maybe something similar to Princess Evangile like Ritsuko and Ayaka route)

I have looked up in VNDB for romance and pure love story VNs and these are the most interessting games for me: 
Noble Works --> sounds like Princess Evangile and Maya has won my interest. Is it really like Princess Evangile? Is there a little bit of drama? 
Hatsukoi 1/1
Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- --> early romance? 
Irotoridori no Sekai --> early romance and how good is the drama? 
Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete --> early romance? 
Chrono Clock --> is it good, if you are looking for something with romance? 
Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki
Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
White Album 2 ~Closing Chapter~
--> waiting for the patch 

Which of these games would you recommend? Are there more romance VNs with english patch? 

I already played/watched:
Princess Evangile + W Happiness 
Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou
Neko Para Vol. 1 - 3 
Clannad --> watched the anime
Little Busters --> watched the anime 
steins;gate --> watched the anime
fate/stay night --> watched the anime 
grisaia no kajitsu --> watched the anime

PS: Sorry for my bad english. 

Edited by -soraa

I won´t play Clannad because I don´t like it! I read more than half of the VN but I didn´t like it. Because it was boring and the art is a little bit old. The same goes for the Anime. But I love Little Busters! and it is a lot better than Clannad. 

I will play Grisaia in the near future because I heard the VN is a lot better and I am interested in Yumikos route. 

But I appreciate your recommendation Asonn :) 

Edited by -soraa

I'd avoid Chrono Clock and Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort as they start off good but both get really boring really fast which is a shame they both had potential. 

Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete - Is pretty good but don't buy it on steam download it from somewhere else as the Steam version is so heavily edited for it's all market audiences that some parts don't make much sense. And Hatsukoi 1/1 is pretty good.

I also agree with what the first comenter said about Grisaia I haven't seen the anime but I've heard from plenty of people that they near enough ruined it compared to what the VN  series gave us.

Noble Works and Draic-Riot are worth trying and made by the same company.

There's also:

Da Capo 2 (Da Capo 3 is not as good as 2)

The Majikoi series 

Wagamama High Spec

My Girlfriend is the President

Katawa Shoujo - isn't for everyone given the subject matter but it's romance and drama and decent enough for you.

I think all of the recommendations were good, although I still want to give some more recommendation here though. From mine I think Koichoco could be good if you want some school politic, or if not perhaps Koiken Otome could be good as well even though it had some superpower setting. Oh, and Yoake was quite good looking even though it's supposedly 2005 VN, and of course had some romance. For the last recommendations here, I think you could try Da Capo trilogy later. Hope this would be help here, and have fun.

DraKoi might suit your taste since the visual novel description is literaly "A boy-meets-girl story", but beware that it's taged with the "High sex content" tag, but it's not a Nukige. Other visual novel Koi iro Chu! Lips may also suit your tastes, Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate a highschool romance, Neko-nin exHeart is very similar to Neko Para in a way, A Profile it's one without Bad Ends.

Also are you okay with Shoujo/Shounen-Ai (not the same as Yuri/Yaoi)? or only HET stuff? Just asking, not judging.

Thank you very much for your recommendation. 

On 19.9.2017 at 8:45 PM, SeniorBlitz said:

Also are you okay with Shoujo/Shounen-Ai (not the same as Yuri/Yaoi)? or only HET stuff? Just asking, not judging.

I like Yuri and Shoujou-Ai but not Yaoi and Shounen-Ai. Furthermore I am not really looking for something with Yuri and Shoujou-Ai!

I started with Noble Works and it´s okay but it´s a little bit boring because nothing happens and there is no drama. Compared to with Princess Evangile there was a plot because of the headmistress. Plus Ayakas and Ritsukous route were really good because their story was interessting with a bit of drama and it also was really thrilling and I am missing it in NobleWorks. At the moment I am playing Mayas route, its cute but nothing exciting happens...

Therefore I have a question about Wagama High Spec and Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star-.

- How good is Wagama High Spec? I heard it isn´t that bad than it looks (too huge boobs...) 

I also heard that Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- is a good romance Visual Novel with thrilling Plot and Drama.
Is it true?
Should I wait for the release from denpasoft? Because a lot of people say that the Fantranslation isn´t really good. 

Edited by -soraa

3 hours ago, -soraa said:

Thank you very much for your recommendation. 

You're welcome :o)

Other stuff that may suit your tastes: Crescendo ~Eien Dato Omotte Ita Ano Koro~Hatsukoi 1/1Chrono ClockAirShinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no AjiKana ~Imouto~Galaxy Angel (if you're into scifi), Symphonic Rain (Maybe), One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~Kanon.

14 hours ago, -soraa said:

I also heard that Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- is a good romance Visual Novel with thrilling Plot and Drama.

Is it true?
Should I wait for the release from denpasoft? Because a lot of people say that the Fantranslation isn´t really good. 

It's a very good VN. And, yes, you should wait for the official release, both because the fan translation was poor and because fan translations shouldn't be used once a game is licensed.

• 2 months later...

So I have played a lot of VN's now. 

- Chrono Clock --> was great. I liked the Protagonist. Michiru's and Cro's Route were awesome. 9/10
- Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki --> Loved it ^-^ Yuri was the best girl. 8/10
- Da Capo II --> Was okay but most of the route's were not interessting and the common route was boring... 5/10
- Da Capo III --> Was a lot better than the prequel. I loved Sara's Route and I liked Charle's. But the common route was boring. 7/10
- D.S Dal Segno --> Stalled. I just played Hauzki's and Io's Route, but I loved Hazuki ^-^ Io was disappointing... I will play it later when I get bored. 
I don't think I will ever try a game from Circus again... ^^ They are too much SoL oriented and the the Story isn't really good.  
Wagamama High Spec --> It was okay, but I was disappointed in Toa's and Kaoruko's Route. Ashe was great. 6/10
- G-Senjou no Maou --> Wasn't actually romance oriented, but Haru's Route was great and I liked it. 9/10
- Noble Works --> Dropped, was boring. There wasn't a Story and it is more a Romance/Comedy VN. 
- Katawa Shoujo --> Dropped. 

At the moment I am playing Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort and it is okay. I just finished Riho's Route and the drama was okay but... I am missing something. I don't know, the Protagonist is okay but not really great. The Story was okay in Riho's Route but it wasn't great...

Before I started with Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, I played Chrono Clock and it was awesome. The Heroine's were all great and I loved Michiru's and Cro's Route and there was a good Story. Also the Protagonist wasn't "your standard hetare Protagonist". He was amazing and I liked him. 
Now I am looking forward to Happymaher

I will start now with Nagisa's Route but I am looking for something better... 
Is Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete good? If you are looking for something with Romance/Drama and a Story (+ a good Protagonist)

Edited by -soraa

Yeah, you should like Kono Oozora. Has quite a bit of drama at times. One of it's routes had the best finale for any route I've read so far.

Also, I know you've watched the anime for Grisaia no Kajitsu. Still, I highly recommend that VN. I keep hearing the anime for Grisaia was crap anyways...

22 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Yeah, you should like Kono Oozora. Has quite a bit of drama at times. One of it's routes had the best finale for any route I've read so far.

Also, I know you've watched the anime for Grisaia no Kajitsu. Still, I highly recommend that VN. I keep hearing the anime for Grisaia was crap anyways...

I will play Grisaia next year. But now I don't have a lot of time because it's a very long VN and it's a trilogy. But next month my exams are going to start. 

If I start now with Grisaia then I will most likely get addicted because of Yumiko<3 and Amane :D

But seriously I am looking forward to play Grisai because Yuuji is a great Protagonist.

Furthermore I am also hyped for Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star-. Next month will be the 18+ Version released *-* I hope it's great.

Are you talking about Kotori? I am actually more interested in her route. I mean Antisocial and Tsundere *-* But is the Protagonist in IMHHW good or just standard with no character development?

Edited by -soraa

Protag in IMHHW is pretty standard (though he does have a bit of a backstory).

Yes, I was talking about Kotori. Her route is soo good (I even teared up, due to how feel good one scene was).

The first Grisaia game can almost be considered standalone. If you're going to get the 2nd game, you may as well buy the 3rd game as well (2nd game is a massive teaser for the 3rd game).

And speaking of Eden of Grisaia, the +18 version of due out very soon (it's reportedly in testing right now).

But yeah, get lots of free time on your hands before you start reading that series xD

45 minutes ago, -soraa said:

A question about the restoration patch.

In VNDB there are 2 patches:

Patch 1

Patch 2

And then there is that: 

Steam 1 & Steam 2

Wtf?! Which one of them should I use now... 

I know that there will be a new patch with a better translation but I don't want to wait anymore. 

As for that matter, I did choose Patch 2 for the patch since it was the least bothersome to apply. Although you need the Japanrse version of Konosora though, and unfortunately Patch 2 was incompatible with Steam version of Konosora. So if you could get the Japanese version there, I would recommend you to just use Patch 2 instead. Have fun in regard of Konosora there.

PS - By the way I did try Patch 1 with Konosora Steam version - or to be exact MoeNovel version back when this was released. I didn't like that the CG gallery was messed up because Pulltop did cut the number of image that was showed in the gallery, and as the result we couldn't view all of the unlocked CGs because of the limit.

Edited by littleshogun

19 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

The anime for grisaia was highly compressed. A 50+ hour VN done in 12 episodes (every route was done at like an episode each). However it is enjoyable to watch after playing the VN. Just like you would watch the Fate UBW to watch an animated version of shirou vs gilgamesh. It is nice to see your favorite characters animated. Also the amane arc was done reasonably well for the time given. It probably gets a lot more hate, because it's just average and watching affects your experience of playing the VN which is very good.

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

The anime for grisaia was highly compressed. A 50+ hour VN done in 12 episodes (every route was done at like an episode each). However it is enjoyable to watch after playing the VN. Just like you would watch the Fate UBW to watch an animated version of shirou vs gilgamesh. It is nice to see your favorite characters animated. Also the amane arc was done reasonably well for the time given. It probably gets a lot more hate, because it's just average and watching affects your experience of playing the VN which is very good.

I already said that I don't really have the time for the Grisaia Trilogy. Because next month my exams are going to start in the university. 
Like I said before, I am really looking forward to play Grisaia but i
f I start now with Grisaia then I will most likely get addicted because of Yumiko<3 and Amane :D

I am getting bored of Koisuru Natsu no Last ResortI am going to play IMHHW now and I hope it's a lot better...

PS: I hope Mangagamer is going to announce Amatsutsumi or Aoi Tori from Pruple Software after they release Happymaher

Edited by -soraa

1 hour ago, -soraa said:

I already said that I don't really have the time for the Grisaia Trilogy. Because next month my exams are going to start in the university. 
Like I said before, I am really looking forward to play Grisaia but i
f I start now with Grisaia then I will most likely get addicted because of Yumiko<3 and Amane :D

I am getting bored of Koisuru Natsu no Last ResortI am going to play IMHHW now and I hope it's a lot better...

PS: I hope Mangagamer is going to announce Amatsutsumi or Aoi Tori from Pruple Software after they release Happymaher

Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort is a garbage moege. I don't know who recommended it to you, but you should probably kill them.

Amatsutsumi may get release by sekai. (If you look at there trello page, they will reach out to the developers if it gets enough notice)

Edited by Akshay

18 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort is a garbage moege. I don't know who recommended it to you, but you should probably kill them.

Amatsutsumi may get release by sekai. (If you look at there trello page, they will reach out to the developers if it gets enough notice)

It's really garbage. There is no Story and it's boring as hell. The Characters are okay, but I don't like the Main Character he is just average. Furthermore the Drama was really disappointing <.< 
Therefore I was a little bit nervous to start with IMHHW because it's from the same Developer as Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort. 
But the beginning from IMHHW was really funny and I hope it's a lot better.

That would be AWESOME! I loved Chrono Clock. Great Heroines (Michiru's and Cro's Route were great and I cried a little bit. Makoto was also nice to play) and not a boring standard average Protagonist. I really like Purple Software new VN's. 
I also read some reviews about Amatsutsumi and Aoi Tori. I am really looking forward to play those 2 VN's. Hopefully they will get released by sekai or mangagamer :D

Edited by -soraa

5 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

You should play ef. It's a little older, but the visuals are great and the story is exactly what you're looking for.

+1

Just look at this and tell me if it doesn't get your kokoro pumping

If we're talking romance, Key and minori are two studios to check out, by all means. 

(weird thing that you didn't like Clannad. Did you get to the end, After Story?)

Edited by Thyndd

3 hours ago, Thyndd said:

If we're talking romance, Key and minori are two studios to check out, by all means. 

(weird thing that you didn't like Clannad. Did you get to the end, After Story?)

No! If we are talking about Key than I am not thinking about a Romance VN but rather a Drama/Nakige oriented VN with SoL, Comedy and a little bit of Romance in some routes.
The Romance part is too short in most of Key's VN's. 

Clannad was boring. I stoped after the beginning of "After Story". Most of the time I thought: "Why I am playing these game?" 
Because Tomoyo was the only girl, that was great. I hate Nagisa. She isn't my type and I don't like her personality. I already know what is going to happen in the After Story. Therefore I dropped it. 
Actually I am a very family-oriented but I didn't like Nagisa... 

Little Busters was much better than Clannad. Great Characters, good development and a nice dramatic Story. But the romance-part was too short. However it was more a story about friendship and seriously Kyousuke was the best Character. He was awesome! 

____

9 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

You should play ef. It's a little older, but the visuals are great and the story is exactly what you're looking for.

3 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Actually I am really looking forward to play minori's newest VN: Trinoline 
I hope it will get released in the next 2 years. 

The OP of ef - a fairy tale of the two looks great. *____*
But isn't it more Drama/Nakige focused VN? 
I hope it isn't something like Clannad... 

After I finished IMHHW. I am going to play Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star-, then the Grisaia-Trilogy and then maybe I will start with ef - a fairy tale of the two. 

Edited by -soraa