Saya no Uta & odd mouse behavior

Nullstate

I've been trying to get Saya no Uta (English patched) working, but have run into a problem I've never encounter before:

It's stealing control of my mouse.

On startup there's no problem until I reach the main menu, at that point it starts cycling through all the menu options (pausing about half a second on each) seemingly teleporting my cursor to the appropriate item as it does so. If I try to move the cursor then it will always reset to the first option "START" at the end of the interval between switching from one option to the next.

This occurs in both windowed mode and fullscreen.

If I start the game it goes through the first line of text and then brings up an in-game menu/ text log. It does not cycle though any options here. I do have control of my mouse, but attempting to exit this menu doesn't work. I also can't affect then menu in any way. If I try to select any option but the first one, it just goes back to highlighting the first option. If I try to select the first option it does nothing.

My only option (either from the start menu or in game) is to "Alt+F4, y " to close the program. After that system behavior returns to normal.

I'm running windows 10 64 bit.

I was initially getting an error about the program needing DirectX 8.1. Solved that I think. At least I'm not getting the error anymore.

What I've tried thus far:

- Change system locale to Japan (both to install and run)

- Install but don't apply translation patch

-Run with compatibility mode set to windows XP SP3, also tried SP 2.

- Install/run with locale emulator

- turn on Direct Play in the " turn windows features on or off"

- turn off Direct Play in the " turn windows features on or off" and installed DirectX 8.1

If you need any more info let me know, and thanks for any help.