{SPOILERS} Dies Irae REALLY Needs a Patch, Unacceptably Outrageous State as it's Riddled by 130+ Script Errors, Missing Voices and Crashes

Nier

1 hour ago, Beichuuka said:

I don't believe any of those redditors said that the translation is awkwardly flowery.

I did skim through the comments on the train without reading much into them but they do say that it's purple prosy only for the sake of being purple prosy and impressing the reader. Without examples it sounds like a pretty weird accusation when we talk about Dies. And as for throwawaydiesirae, while the sentence itself needs some tweaking I really don't see anything wrong with a high schooler using words like aberration or liquidation which was his main point. Alas, the translation is indeed far from perfect and I'm just pointing several amusing things among that wall of text. 

Oh, I missed that. And seems I'm the one who misunderstood the main point of the redditors.

Still, as you mention, the sentences themselves need a lot of work, and I daresay there must have been better words to choose from than, say, liquidation and aberration (which can be fine coming from a high schooler, but they just doesn't seem to fit given the sentence).

Edited by Beichuuka

12 hours ago, Nier said:

Did you apply the latest patch? If you played a pre-patched copy, most likely you played the original release.

The latest version (the one I played) didn't have hundreds of typos, weird sentences and grammatical mistakes.

And beside, are you implying that an OFFICIAL release shouldn't be held to a higher standard than a free fan-translation?

No, I pay for my games: I bought a boxed copy and applied the latest patch. The version I played didn't have hundreds of errors either, but neither does S;G 0.

And, no, I'm not implying that an official release shouldn't be held to a higher standard than a fan translation: I'm still arguing (like I already said) that fan translations are almost universally lower quality than official translations. My claim that S;G0 (which you're calling out as low quality) is substantially higher quality than KoiChoco (which you're calling out as a paragon of fan translation) is simply supporting that argument. S;G0 isn't perfect, and I wish it were better. But it's honestly pretty good. I have no qualms complaining about things that should be improved (including that release), and in particular I'm on board with the Dies irae complaints you're making, based on sheer count of issues. I just think this side argument that's sprouted up (that fan TLs tend to be higher quality than official TLs) is ridiculous, based on my own experiences, and I'm pointing out discrepancies in your examples to demonstrate that.

Edit: Wanted to add a bit more on the KoiChoco thing: the KoiChoco release I played did have a metric shitton of tense mistakes in narration. It didn't know if it was in past or present tense, and that was enormously frustrating for me to read; I'm pretty sensitive to that particular mistake at this point, but I don't think most people are. I don't recall seeing such errors in S;G0. As far as odd phrasing or word choice, I frankly don't recall seeing much at all of that in S;G0, whereas I do definitely remember seeing a moderate amount of it in KoiChoco (though much less than some of the more egregious fan translations, like, say, 11eyes).

Edited by Fred the Barber

On 9/4/2017 at 4:41 PM, DeadIEnd said:

Great job! It's seems I'll wait for a fan patch before considering to buy it.. I was about to buy it two weeks ago.. Good thing I was broke.

I think fan translation usually fare much better than official licensed translations because they take much more time, are done in small skilled groups who just don't take any project, and are usually done by real fans for other fans with no deadline in sight in a hurry to get cash.

While the truth to this statement is generally questionable(seriously the level of quality of certain fan translations is laughable). , I will say this is not the case for the translators of Dies Irae. You are implying that the translators did not genuinely love the work, put passion into it, and worked their butts off on the Dies Irae project. I talked to the translators numerous times, and they have told me that despite being underpaid they took on this crazy project. You have no idea how hard it was to translate Dies Irae at all. Masada's script is complicated, the kanji he uses can range from archaich to straight up requiring specialized knowledge to tackle on (ie: knowledge of Buddhism suntras and such). The translators spent over 800 hours on transalting Dies Irae, and it was a challenge. 

Yes, there are typos and errors, but in a game that is 50+ hours long, mistakes are bound to happen. The translation team is actively working on fixing the mistakes and it isn't like they don't give a fuck.

As I played the first route of Dies, I noted down any lines that pissed me off. Here's the unedited list, which even includes stuff like translation choices ("Himuro") that I know the localization team will never actually fix to my liking, and also many lines that were just completely unnecessarily rewritten (like the very first one on the list). The lines with (Fine) next to them are the ones that kinda piss me off, but rationally speaking I know they're acceptable. By the way, toward the end of the route, I started trying to do my best to just ignore the text's problems, so that's why I didn't note as many lines there.

Spoiler

(most lines are formatted: "what the actual Japanese says" -> "what the localization's text says")

It's our loss. -> The war is lost.
Fighting and killing is how I make a living. -> War is our profession, murder our currency.
Don't you feel you haven't killed enough? -> Do you not hunger for more?
senpai -> Himuro (especially in case of Kasumi, calls her Rea-san to Ren but "Himuro"/senpai to her face)
Hey, I don't like how it kinda sounds like you're saying I'm uncreative. -> Um, y'know, it kinda seems like you're calling me unproductive. Can't say I like it.
I made sure to attend every day, so a single day is fine. -> I make sure to go every day, so one day off won't kill me.
Or should I say... you should just lend it to me, fool. -> Actually, let's not beat around the bush. Hand it over, bitch!
(Fine) Then, don't hold back. Come in. -> No need to be shy, then. Come on, there's room for two.
Goodness... -> God...
The more extreme a [descriptive] phrase, the more cliched it is. -> The more extreme the descriptor, the closer it comes to the realm of commonplace.
#2: I had psychic powers ... Such people did exist according to my knowledge. ???
[nakayoshi sannin] Three good friends. -> The Three Amigos.
(Fine) If you have a problem, say so. Don't leave it to me. -> If you want to complain, do it yourself. I'm not your messenger boy.
[un. ja ne] That's right. Farewell. -> Yes. Later.
*Error: Himuro made her leave on that note.
*Error: [kare no iken ni taishite desu ka] do you mean regarding his viewpoint? -> [By 'what do you think',] are you asking for my opinion?
Perhaps you may ask 'Then, whose?' but for the time being that doesn't matter. -> But then whose? A valid question, but not one that matters at present.
I can't believe even a scrap of that nonsense. -> [Only after death can one find happiness--] for I cannot find it in myself to believe in such hogwash.
(Fine) [chijo] -> sheviant
*Error: a myriad crawling worms
*Error: heed to mutilated corpse
*Awkward: How dared these otherworldly fucks talk about it like it happened on the same planet.
[buki wa dasanee shi] -> I won't summon my 'weapon'
(Fine) [temee, kantan in shinu ja nee zo] -> So try not to die like a bitch!
*Error: Schreiber, and I can tell you ain't like him.
You'd better not be stupid enough to think that you can do anything [to me] with strength at the level of some typical guy with a big ego who acts tough. -> You're not dumb enough to hope you can get out of this just because you can stand against a schoolboy or two, are ya?
*Error: neither breath or blink
And you denied it. Am I wrong? -> And you didn't deny it. Did you?
What do you plan on making me and the others do? -> What do you plan on making me and my friends do?
*Error: I wanted neither to flee, or lose.
[atashi mitai na?] -> Like us?
*Error: Kasumi smiled widely and sat down next ot me.
*Error: Who're calling stupid?
[ko] kid -> girl
(Fine) [yurushite hoshii] -> Your forgiveness would mean the world to me.
*Error: Harbinger
Hey. Then, Kristoff... Do you feel like making a prophecy? -> Hey... you makin' a prophecy or something, Kristoff?
[omae, sonna kao shite jikan ni loose nano ka yo] You're wearing that cool expression even when you're late? -> Don't tell me you're loose about time with that face.
*Error: I wonder if she would eventually move to another city If I could
(Fine) You're saying you got to talking and fell in love. -> You got to talking and fell in love.
"That's right." -> "I see."
[bara-chic me ni au] -> I'm sure you'll be feeling very sore.
(Fine) I want blood -> it wants blood
[kao no sa kana?] -> Maybe because I'm not butt-ugly like you are?
*Error: A spent a short while
[anata wa kuwareteiru tokoro desu] -> you would have been devoured in the blink of an eye.
*Error: I think we had just woken the dragon.
You picked her up from the sort of place you can't even tell me about, you filthy monster?! -> You're not gonna try and dodge that question, are you?! Huh, you rotten bastard?!
*Error: Don't gang up on Ren... / Stop bullying Ren...
(Fine) [gomennasai okaasan mou watashi dame desu] Sorry, Mom, I've gone down the wrong path! -> Sorry, Mom, I can't take it any longer!
(Fine) [aru aru urusei chuugokujin ka omae wa] -> Oh, shut up already. What are you, Santa Claus?
I'll do whatever you ask. / [cagliostro mo sou shiro tte itta shi] Cagliostro told me to.
*Error: where she had claimed to forever remain there.
*Error: ofrsorrow
[yusa shirou tte nda. warurete ii ze. / douse omae, sugu ni kutabacchima ndakara yo] "It's Shirou Yusa. Go ahead and forget it, see if I care. / Not like you're gonna have much time to memorize it before I murder your punk ass."
[yo no naka ni ha saisho kara chigau mono wa goku shosuu shikashi kajutsu ni sonzai suru to watashi wa omotteruno desu] -> "Very few such beings remain in the world... yet I believe that they most certainly exist.
[anzen saku ne] so I decided to play it safe. -> so I figured having a safety plan was best.
I don't want to hear that from you. -> Says the pot to the kettle.
*Error: disappared
*Error: been a remiss
*Error: Trascendence
[aho ga!] -> You dim little shit!
[ore no te ja mijika sugiru da] But my hands don't reach far enough. -> But my hands are too short.
*Error: I explained Shirou
[hansoku ppoi nazo] unfair riddles -> cheating riddles
(OK) [kocchi muite yo] Turn this way. -> Look at me.
[omae no soba zettai hanarenai kara na] I won't ever leave your side. -> 'Cause I don't ever want to leave you...
[mou jigoku ni ochite mo ii yo] -> Now I can go to hell... in peace...
*Error: She wanted to let him to rest
[maa anata wa shojo tte iu daibakudan wo kakaeta mama tsugi no aite wo sagashinasai] -> Well, good luck trying to find another man with that popped cherry of a handicap.
*Error: Rea could not let someone who should rather be celebrating her birthday to die tonight. Not by an circumstances.
*Error: No words to retort her with.
*Error: "Though their circumstances are bit different; Shreiber, Samiel, and Machina are the same as me.
[sonna koto kangaechau yo] -> Think about it.

P.S. It's not that I don't respect the work of the localization team. They obviously put a massive amount of effort into the various chants, historical and literary references, and other terms. They obviously care a lot about Dies.