Tales From Windy Meadow [Fantasy/Slice of life/Pixel Art] (finished - on Steam!)

Aureus

Well hello there!

Our developer had a bit of time to spare and we are trying something new. From now on, many of the character sprites will have irides that reflect their character portraits. Details still may change, but it's a fun way to make some characters look more unique during the scenes which introduce multiple characters at once.

And since it's a feature that should have been added four months ago or so, making it work required modifying something like 1400 PNG files. This is what our dev gets for making late-development changes. Bad planning at its finest.

file.php?id=51137&mode=view

file.php?id=51136&mode=view

It was a difficult week, but quite efficient as far as working on Tales From Windy Meadow goes. We are now working on the epilogue, but also fixing older graphics that don't match the level of the rest of the game, adding new sound effects and, of course, fixing the dialogues.

In some parts our designer rewrites pretty much 60%-80% of the original script. Yikes.

At least the music is fantastic and needs no work whatsoever. ^^
file.php?id=51179&mode=view
file.php?id=51180&mode=view
file.php?id=51181&mode=view

I can hardly believe it, but today I'm working on the game's epilogue. I'm waiting for one more image and rewriting the endgame credits. Tomorrow I'm sending the game for some testing, and if we decide the quality is satisfying, we'll try to try to release Tales From Windy Meadow before Christmas. 

Yesterday, Oray Studios sent me some fantastic graphics that I'm editing right now. This game is so much more than I originally aimed for and it truly makes me proud.

For this ScreenshotSaturday I prepared two "old vs new" backgrounds. Some differences are obvious, some won't ever be noticed by anyone... Yet you won't believe how much time it took me to apply all the changes I wanted. And I think it was worth it.

Have a fantastic day!

file.php?id=51346&mode=view

file.php?id=51347&mode=view

file.php?id=51348&mode=view

file.php?id=51349&mode=view

A small update - I decided to disable the demo that I shared here some time ago because it does not reflect the current state of the game. Many graphics were updated, interface changed significantly and an important bug was removed. Dialogue was also majorly improved during the editing process.

I will be sure to upload the new version of the demo during the full release (I currently aim at December 20th!). However, if some of you would like to play the demo in the nearby future, I can modify my plans and upload it by itself.

file.php?id=51378&mode=view

It’s happening! 𝗧𝗮𝗹𝗲𝘀 𝗙𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗱𝘆 𝗠𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗼𝘄 turned out great! We’re still changing some minor details, but even now we’re proud of the Visual Novel we developed. Uploading it on Steam and adding the achievements was (almost) painless and we’ll do our best to make sure that 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝘃𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝘁𝗵 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝗗𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿!
Our journey is almost over. Thank you for supporting our project for last couple of months. ❤️

file.php?id=51400&mode=view

file.php?id=51401&mode=view

file.php?id=51402&mode=view

file.php?id=51403&mode=view

file.php?id=51404&mode=view

It's the last ScreenshotSaturday before Tales From Windy Meadow's release... So we've made a new trailer!

Only five more days... Thank you for all the support you shared with us in the comments and emotes. <3

Edited by Aureus

Tales From Windy Meadow is now available on Steam. I wanted to create an interactive story that explores the anxieties of choosing one’s path and living in a small community.

It turned out just as I wanted it to be, but better. It’s set in my beloved fantasy setting that I’ve been working on for 10 years. It tells a slice-of-life story, not an action-adventure one. It’s a Visual Novel, but it’s not about romance nor sex. I love the music, I love how the graphics evolved since the early concept arts. I love how the dialogues improved over the years.

It’s a niche game and I understand if many of you won’t find it interesting, but I also know for some people it’s a unique, intimate experience. And I’m happy I made it.

Thank you for sharing this moment with me. ^^

Marcel Weyers, a very kind writer from Germany, took a closer look at Tales From Windy Meadow and since he found our story to be worth spreading, he decided to help us by translating it into German!

In result, I started working on all the useful tools that could make this translation come true. And since we’re doing it, it will also help us create other language versions, so we already made the first steps into creating the Polish version of the game. ^^

So yeah, I'm already after the game’s release, but I'm not resting yet! : D Are there any other languages supported by Tales From Windy Meadow that you would like to see?

file.php?id=51586&mode=view

file.php?id=51585&mode=view

I mentioned before that we're working on some translations of Tales From Windy Meadow - and so far, it's going pretty great! It's also an opportunity to fix minor typos or tiny bugs, so once the Polish and German versions will be ready, I’m going to update the English version as well and push it one step closer towards perfection. : D

By the way, in German version Windy Meadow was translated into Windige Wiesen. Pretty cool. ^^

Also, there's a good chance that our Visual Novel will be translated into Indonesian (or - an Indonesian version of Malay) and Ukrainian... Though it doesn't look like our main font is going to fit it well.

And if you'd like to support our game but you've already bought it, it would be a great help if you could share your review on Steam or Itch.io. Let us and other people know how did you like it! And if you need some nice, relaxing background music, maybe my old lofi mix would help? : )

Have a great weekend!

We're still translating Tales From Windy Meadow, but a large update is coming next week:

* a big patch for the core, English version (with about 30 minor fixes);

* German version of the game;

* Polish version of the game;

* the game should be available in one more store.

Since our Visual Novel is praised for its soundtrack, we're also going to create a nice video with at least some of the best music from the game. Not all of them, since all the tracks combined would last for more than 3 hours... You can expect the video at the beginning of February.Oh, and also - we are planning to add Chinese version of the game to our list, though it's still a long way ahead of us. ; )

Thank you for your support!

file.php?id=51832&mode=view 

• 1 month later...

A fantasy website Exilian made an interview with me! We talk in it about Tales From Windy Meadow, more specifically, topics like:

• writing about characters that struggle with mental and physical disadvantages, 
  • the world in which the game is set,
  • the development struggles (a small postmortem?),
  • the significance of selecting pixel art as an art-style for the game.

Hello again!
It's ScreenshotSaturday, and a bit of a special day for me. Tales From Windy Meadow is now on sale (15% off!), and we're happy to share with you some quotes from the reviews that are focused on my Visual Novel.

file.php?id=52323&mode=view

Cutting out and putting together these quotes was quite heartwarming. We were met with an extraordinary kindness and a lot of encouraging opinions. We're happy to see such a positive perception of our work.

Of course, we also participated in an interview a couple of days ago, and now it's time for us to look forward. Moral Anxiety Studio is going to become a more of a one-person initiative, and if everything will go according to plan, my next game will be officially announced very soon.

Thank you and if you have any questions or would like to discuss your adventures in Windy Meadow with me, feel free to do so!
And have a great weekend!

• 3 months later...