Tales From Windy Meadow [Fantasy/Slice of life/Pixel Art] (finished - on Steam!)

Aureus

Thank you for your kind words, Gluma! It's close, but my unhealthy ambition complicates many things. We have 95% of all the backgrounds, 100% of portraits, dialogues and so on, but we want to add multiple animations which are not yet completed. I need to find out how fast can we do them - from the programming side they are very easy, but the artists have very limited time. : (

Meanwhile, it's another screenshotsaturday! And with it, the Little Oak village, 8 years before the action of our game. Loving the new colors. Ideally, we would like to add fire animation as well.

LittleOak.png

These videos could use some nice lo-fi themes.

Rain in Windy Meadow, Salvia's Hut. The recreation of a 10-months old concept art - modified and adapted for the purposes of the game.

The next step - adding the characters.

Serious talk time! Nothing to be worried about, just explaining the current situation.

For months we were sharing our concept arts and images, but only recently we started to show you longer videos and GIFs of Tales From Windy Meadow. 

Also, trailers are so important in the world of game development, but we still don’t have one! Why is that?

Here is the problem - we’re building the game layer after layer, not scene after scene. It makes showcasing the progress really tedious, even if we finished like 90% of the game's graphics.

The “layers” we already have include: dialogues, interface, backgrounds, character portraits (and their emotions), basic character sprites, a majority of the non-character animations - rain, fire, doors...

The layer we DON’T have yet - and which stops us from recording more in-game videos - is the character animations. Walking from one place to another, or sitting down, or throwing a spear, or just smoking a pipe... There is an example of it shown in the video - it’s the only part that was simple enough to draw that our writer / developer was able to make it mostly by himself.

The current approach is good for the game’s quality... The main thing that suffers is our marketing. : P 

So just a few words of comfort: new content is coming. Once we finish more character animations, we’re going to have a lot of things to add to the game and finish a whole bunch of new scenes at once. Trailer and cool screenshots are on their way, we just have to survive this last part of the marathon. ; )

A big thank you to all of you for your support, we appreciate and hope to do our best turning Tales From Windy Meadow into the best Visual Novel we can. 💓

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feeling anxious? Maybe stressed? It's #ScreenshotSaturday, let's chill together with our small lofi hiphop mix. Graphics are from our game, Tales From Windy Meadow, and the music belongs to Mittensさん. A perfect companion for a cup of tea and a rainy evening. 

Edited by Aureus

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy to see how much we pushed the game forward during the last two months. I'm especially proud of Iudicia's prologue. It was very interesting for me to try to adapt a character with Asperger's syndrome to a fantasy setting, in which nobody knows what this condition is or how could they call it. 

I hope that all this effort is visible in the scene itself. <3 

Please remember that the game itself has three protagonists with their own struggles, dreams and doubts. Come and get to know them on our updated website.

So, what do you think? : )

Edited by Aureus

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

Very soon we plan to share 1) the trailer 2) the demo version of the game 3) the Steam page for wishlisting. The former two are almost there - if they pass the testing process, we should be able to share them next Saturday. : )

Also, there is a good chance that Oray Studios (which makes a huge part of the game's graphics!) will show our work at G-Star 2018 in South Korea in just a couple of weeks!

file.php?id=50964&mode=view

file.php?id=50963&mode=view

file.php?id=50962&mode=view

file.php?id=50961&mode=view

file.php?id=50960&mode=view

I wanted to thank both of you for sharing your interest in the demo. ^^ I realized today that I can still improve a couple of things in the scenes that are a part of the demo itself so I won't share it right away, but I should be able to post it here during the weekend - unless a cataclysm will strike my hardware  : )

So, the trailer wasn't officially shared in social media... I was hoping to see your opinion first since I can still try to change it.
This version, however, is very close to my heart and I'm happy to share it with you. : )
Since this Visual Novel is a bit different, I wanted its trailer to also be unique. But is it even good? Do you like it?

In the meantime, I think I fixed all the bugs and problems from the demo version of the game. I was planning to share it through itch.io, but I decided to wait with it for about a week.

Nevertheless, if you find this project interesting and you would like to see the beginning of all 3 stories that are a part of the entire game, you can download the demo from here. : )

1 hour ago, Aureus said:

So, the trailer wasn't officially shared in social media... I was hoping to see your opinion first since I can still try to change it.
This version, however, is very close to my heart and I'm happy to share it with you. : )
Since this Visual Novel is a bit different, I wanted its trailer to also be unique. But is it even good? Do you like it?

The trailer looks cool, but I would say it lacks a punchline? I'd be nice to see a scene there that shows where this character is coming from and what challenges exactly she has to deal with. After all, she's meant to be a herbalist in a sleepy village - not a place in which you would normally expect life to go at a breathtaking pace. The presentation is very good and I like the general concept, but it ends up being just a bit too cryptic IMO. :)

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The presentation is very good and I like the general concept, but it ends up being just a bit too cryptic IMO. :)

Thank you so much for your time, Lesiak! I have in plans another trailer with more... functional message, such as "a Visual Novel / 3 protagonists / *short descriptions of all 3* / some highlights" and so on, but I did want the first one to be vague...

If you think it's not vague right now bur rather, as you said, too cryptic - maybe I missed the mark!