Interesting tidbits I found out about MangaGamer today

Nandemonai

So in my inbox was an email about the whole W Happiness price discrepancy thing (apparently the game was more expensive on Mangagamer.com itself, which is contrary to their new policy, so they gave free Steam keys to those affected).  Lo and behold, the email contains the following line:

Copyright © 2017 Japan Animation Contents, Inc., All rights reserved.

Can't find the reference now, but MangaGamer has said they don't use that name in Japan.  This sounds like the name they do use.  Lo and behold, when I google that name, I find this: https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/job/details/107365/en/translation-interpretation/anime-game-translator/  There are some interesting tidbits in this employment solicitation.  They offer (or at least, they did in 2015) between 1 and 1.5 cents per (I presume Japanese?) character, and they want to see 40K characters per week.  These seem to be the requirements at least for that one opening:

The requirements for our J-E translators is as follows:

Fluent-level understanding of Japanese language.
Fluent-level creative writing ability in English language.
Must pass our company's translation test.
Administrative diligence.
Detailed knowledge of anime sub-culture and related communities.

Preferred, but non-necessary items include:
JLPT N1
Living in Japan or experience living in Japan.
University Bachelor Degree in Arts or higher.
1-3 years previous translation work experience.

Edited by Nandemonai

I'm a bit irritated how exactly an University Bachelor Degree in Arts is helpful for translating a VN. I mean, they should translate the story and not write their own instead which just happens to fit the pictures, right?! :unsure:

Edit: On the other hand, maybe they need that for demosaicing. Though they could have made that clearer by requesting an art degree in genitals. :P

Edited by ChaosRaven

52 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'm a bit irritated how exactly an University Bachelor Degree in Arts is helpful for translating a VN. I mean, they should translate the story and not write their own instead which just happens to fit the pictures, right?! :unsure:

Edit: On the other hand, maybe they need that for demosaicing. Though they could have made that clearer by requesting an art degree in genitals. :P

Afaik, foreigners need some sort of degree to get a work visa in Japan.

A Bachelor in Arts is just the lowest one they accept.

Edited by Ningen