RPG/Strategy VN

Not_At_All

4 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

As someone who also played Sacred Stones, my first thought was "what, there's two endings??????? how I get the other??????", but then I saw the video, and this secret ending is for Binding Blade, dude.

Ohhhhh.

I think I got confused xoD

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Guest

Hmm... It may not be the best VN RPG but still worth your time if you have the patience grinding through numerous playthroughs.

If so Why do you try playing the Agarest Series of VN RPGs! Both are available on Steam and GOG.com 

In addition, Hyperdimension Neptunia is also a VN RPG by the same developer as Agarest and are also available at Steam and GOG.com. Very enjoyable to play! Full of popular culture preferences and cute anime girls :sachi:

Littlewitch Romanesque is a pretty interesting VN with simulation elements available at JAST USA. Moekuri is a recent VN RPG available at Mangagamer, I haven't played it yet but it looks nice and colorful so give a try will you!? 

A question if I may? Are you strictly only looking for Translated Japanese Visual Novel RPG Hybrids like the ones mentioned above? Have you considered broadening your scope of search and taken a look on OELVN? They have quite a number of Visual Novel Hybrids if your not that picky...

Hope my suggestions helps you out! :wafuu:

Edited by Templarseeker

Thanks for the additional suggestions Dark_blade64 and Templarseeker. Ar Tonelico and Ar Nosurge look like playstation exclusives. I don't know if emulating them is possible, but I'll add them to my plan to read list for now. I don't think I'll touch them soon though as Fire Emblem takes all of my "gaming" time and I still watch anime/play other VNs so I'm set for a good while.

As for Hyperdimension Neptunia and Agarest, I actually have played them both already. HN for around 10 hours and Agarest for more than 40, but dropped them both. I'm not the biggest fan of the type of gameplay that Neptunia has (I also played Fairy Fencer F, but I managed to finish that) and Agarest had weird combat mechanics (like standing in particular tiles to combo up) and a lot of "filler" battles that took a long time to complete, had no story part to them and were easy, so it felt tedious after a while. 

Moekuri may be something I'd like, but it might be too much moe for me. I don't mind it in short moege sometimes, but if the game is long I'd get sick of it. Littlewitch may be interesting too, but I don't really see the gameplay aspect of it. What is it that you do in that game?

And lastly, I don't have anything against OELVN. I like the anime art and Japanese voice acting, but the best RPG and strategy games that I've played are all western, so if there are some OELVN hybrids that are good, feel free to recommend me them.

5 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Thanks for the additional suggestions Dark_blade64 and Templarseeker. Ar Tonelico and Ar Nosurge look like playstation exclusives. I don't know if emulating them is possible, but I'll add them to my plan to read list for now. I don't think I'll touch them soon though as Fire Emblem takes all of my "gaming" time and I still watch anime/play other VNs so I'm set for a good while.

As for Hyperdimension Neptunia and Agarest, I actually have played them both already. HN for around 10 hours and Agarest for more than 40, but dropped them both. I'm not the biggest fan of the type of gameplay that Neptunia has (I also played Fairy Fencer F, but I managed to finish that) and Agarest had weird combat mechanics (like standing in particular tiles to combo up) and a lot of "filler" battles that took a long time to complete, had no story part to them and were easy, so it felt tedious after a while. 

Moekuri may be something I'd like, but it might be too much moe for me. I don't mind it in short moege sometimes, but if the game is long I'd get sick of it. Littlewitch may be interesting too, but I don't really see the gameplay aspect of it. What is it that you do in that game?

And lastly, I don't have anything against OELVN. I like the anime art and Japanese voice acting, but the best RPG and strategy games that I've played are all western, so if there are some OELVN hybrids that are good, feel free to recommend me them.

If You want something shorter You should play the games from the mogeko series (Mogeko Castle, The Grey Garden, Wadanohara And the great Blue Sea.) They're short (2-5 hours) have some RPG elements, Focus on story telling And the majority of the fights are optional.

Also I'm playing Sakura Dungeon And I can that it's a really good vn+RPG, I recomend playing.

Just now, SeniorBlitz said:

If You want something shorter You should play the games from the mogeko series (Mogeko Castle, The Grey Garden, Wadanohara And the great Blue Sea.) They're short (2-5 hours) have some RPG elements, Focus on story telling And the majority of the fights are optional.

The "I want something shorter" only extends to moe and charage. For example - Chrono Clock. A vn I can easily go through in a weekend and pick up a few cute girls in the process, but If it was longer, I wouldn't have the patience for it.

For games, or visual novels that actually have a good story, I say the longer the better. Even if it's 100+ hours of game/read time. 

And I tried Sakura Dungeon already and I didn't like it much.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:54 PM, Not_At_All said:

Littlewitch is more similar to Princess Maker and Long Live The Queen Featuring Life Simulation raising two girls to become full fledged wizards/witches. if your not into that kind of game, just skip this one then. Different people has different taste I guesses:vanilla:

Have you already checked out Seinarukana since you already played Aselia The Eternal? 

Try taking a look at Recettear and Chantelise, they might satisfy your urges... 

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpuck Bartender Action is a visual novel where you play as a bartender mixing drinks and listening to the stories of your patron and such... 

I concur that most great RPGs and Strategy Games are of western origin so I can relate, I'm more of a old school gamer and exclusively playing only on the PC :sachi: 

I'll check my game's depository on what else I could recommend or perhaps you already played them too hahahah:wahaha: 

Edited by Templarseeker

On 8/28/2017 at 6:54 AM, Not_At_All said:

Thanks for the additional suggestions Dark_blade64 and Templarseeker. Ar Tonelico and Ar Nosurge look like playstation exclusives. I don't know if emulating them is possible, but I'll add them to my plan to read list for now.

There's a PS2 emulator that works pretty well.  You'll definitely need a USB controller, though; I just use an Xbox 360 controller and map the controls to the same button layout as the PS controller.  No PS3 emulator out at the moment, though, so you either have to buy a PS3 or play the waiting game.

9 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

Littlewitch is more similar to Princess Maker and Long Live The Queen Featuring Life Simulation raising two girls to become full fledged wizards/witches. if your not into that kind of game, just skip this one then. Different people has different taste I guesse

Yeah, I'll skip these at least for now.

Have you already checked out Seinarukana since you already played Aselia The Eternal? 

Yeah, I played it. I said it on the first post too :D

Try taking a look at Recettear and Chantelise, they might satisfy your urges... 

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpuck Bartender Action is a visual novel where you play as a bartender mixing drinks and listening to the stories of your patron and such... 

First two look similar in gameplay to Hyperdimension Neptunia or am I wrong? Second one especially. The last one I'll check out sometime. The gameplay doesn't look like what I'm looking for, but the art looks interesting and the ratings on vndb are quite high.

I concur that most great RPGs and Strategy Games are of western origin so I can relate, I'm more of a old school gamer and exclusively playing only on the PC :sachi: 

I'll check my game's depository on what else I could recommend or perhaps you already played them too hahahah:wahaha: 

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, but I probably have at least tried most of single player RPGs and a lot of strategy games on PC. :)

9 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

There's a PS2 emulator that works pretty well.  You'll definitely need a USB controller, though; I just use an Xbox 360 controller and map the controls to the same button layout as the PS controller.  No PS3 emulator out at the moment, though, so you either have to buy a PS3 or play the waiting game.

Thanks for the information. So both Ar games are out for me, since Nosurge is on PS3 and Tonelico third game is on PS3 as well. I really wouldn't like to end it on a cliffhanger and I don't intend to buy a PS3 :(