Most Overrated and Underrated Animes

atchikotchi

Oh well, that is for you to decide. I like the anime as well.

my post wasn't entirely serious in regards to maou-san. it's not that it's underrated, it's that I don't think it's popular enough despite being the best anime that season. that anime was all manner of awesomesauce.

which is why my second underrated anime started out it's paragraph with "and now for a serious answer" or however I worded it.

I agree with some of you guys that Evangelion is very overrated. I love the show and all, but it is no where near as good as a large portion of the fanbase makes it out to be. That being said, everyone should still try it at least. If you don't like it, give RahXephon a shot instead.

The issue with Evangelion is that a lot of people hail it for the wrong reason and try to see DEEP significance where there isn't. Which in turns causes people to hate the show even more because a retarded fanboy is the best way to disgust someone of something.

Doesn't make it any less good in my eyes though. And it doesn't lessen the impact it had.

The issue with Evangelion is that a lot of people hail it for the wrong reason and try to see DEEP significance where there isn't. Which in turns causes people to hate the show even more because a retarded fanboy is the best way to disgust someone of something.
this makes me hate the fan base, it doesn't make me hate the show. I dislike the show because every single character is just obnoxious. every time shinji starts screaming, I can feel my brain cells dying. every time asuka says anything, she just comes off as an unjustifiably arrogant and obnoxious ass hat and I just want to slap the shit out of her. the plot was all manner of silly, the mechs designs or what have you were outlandish and unbelievable, there was nothing about the show I found appealing. also, there's a penguin in the refrigerator and that seems very unsanitary.

the whole deep meaning that isn't there bit is especially annoying, because the writer of the show specifically said in an interview that he designed the characters with no real depth. he wrote them as they were so people could make of them what they will.

For the series, Anno attempted to create characters that represent different things to different viewers. To some, the characters are historical, religious, or philosophical symbols, while others see themselves in the characters.

the deep meaning that people see literally isn't there. they're being shown a rorschach test and losing their minds over it. it's not even like that info is in some obscure magazine published in a third world country that nobody has ever heard of, it's in the dvd commentary for end of eva. <_</>

90% of my hate for the show is totally on shinji, btw. every female in that show is more a man than he, and he screams like a girl far more than any of them. his character is just the worst. I probably would have enjoyed the show at least a little if he wasn't in it. the dudes who cast the voice actors for the English release should be arrested for crimes against humanity for letting that guy scream like that. nails on chalkboard...

my post wasn't entirely serious in regards to maou-san. it's not that it's underrated, it's that I don't think it's popular enough despite being the best anime that season. that anime was all manner of awesomesauce.

which is why my second underrated anime started out it's paragraph with "and now for a serious answer" or however I worded it.

Well what I want to say is that it's pretty famous here and people that I know really likes it as well. I guess it's just the people around you who doesn't like it or doesn't feel it's awesome.

Well what I want to say is that it's pretty famous here and people that I know really likes it as well. I guess it's just the people around you who doesn't like it or doesn't feel it's awesome.

everyone I know who watches anime has seen it, and everyone I know who's seen it loved it.

it's just not enough.

everyone I know who watches anime has seen it, and everyone I know who's seen it loved it.

it's just not enough.

I've been showing it to my whole family every chance I get. Even my youngest sister, who isn't into to anime, watched the entire series in 2 days with non-stop laughter.

it's just not enough.

I haven't! So now you know one person at least xD

And the best anime this year is obviously Kiniro Mosaic smile.gif

SHEIJ8g.jpg

And Angel Beats was just the perfect anime for me, batman. No filler, right amount of episodes, great characters and story and very touching moments I can never forget.

Overrated anime: One Piece, Pokemon, Bleach, Naruto (basically any series that went on forever without getting to the point).

Underrated anime:

Legend of the Legendary Heroes- This anime is seriously good, hitting most of a fantasy lover's sweet spots and creating a really well-designed fantasy setting. The only unfortunate thing about this series is that the second season hasn't come out yet.

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari- Tenchi Muyo-linked OVA series with a rather simple-minded protagonist and some really cool mech battles.

Mnemosyne- A weird OVA series whose main character is an immortal woman who works as a private detective and problem-solver. It follows her across about a century or so from the point she meets a certain young man, until his death, and then beyond into the circumstances behind the immortals.

Hunter X Hunter (original series)- The original series has a lot of advantages over the newer one. In particular, the setting's brutality level and the general atmosphere of the story was completely different. Scenes that ended on a pretty light note in the new series have a much darker context in the old one, such as the boat scene in the first episode of the new one (and the third or fourth of the old one)

Noir- This series is a classic, but it is rapidly being forgotten due to the simple fact that they literally 'don't make them like this anymore'. An amnesiac super-assassin for a protagonist, a pseudo-mystic crime organization, and a lot of fun murders.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes- While this series has a huge and devoted cult following, it is a huge hurdle for newbie anime fans because it doesn't have any moe elements whatsoever and because of the serious tone and complexity of the plot. Classic space opera.

Hunter X Hunter (original series)- The original series has a lot of advantages over the newer one. In particular, the setting's brutality level and the general atmosphere of the story was completely different. Scenes that ended on a pretty light note in the new series have a much darker context in the old one, such as the boat scene in the first episode of the new one (and the third or fourth of the old one)

As much as I like the 1999 series, I still think the 2011 one is superior.

The 1999 version seems darker on a large part because the colors are actually rather dark. Which contrasts a lot with the brighter 2011 version (and I think bright color is indeed suited for HxH, that's still a shounen in all aspects).

Overall the 2011 version handles its censorship in a way more intelligent way, sticks closer to the manga (and thus have a better pacing) and doesn't have some of the incoherences the 1999 version has. I don't think the 2011 version makes any compromise with the violence in the manga, it just has less graphic violence (ie it doesn't cut scenes, change the personality/actions of the characters or anything like that).

• 4 months later...

Overrated:

-Shingeki no Kyojin (Words literally cannot describe how tired I am of hearing that this anime is a "masterpiece")

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (a show that I tried so hard to love, but that I ended up feeling more indifferent towards than anything else. Glad to know others here have similar opinions.)

Underrated: 

-Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu (I've never heard anyone talk about this- probably because it came out in 2001, and hasn't been available for a few years now- but from what I've seen of it, this is probably the most surreal comedy I've ever seen. And it's incredibly entertaining because of that. I used to use it to get friends into anime several years back.)

- Shadow Star Narutaru (The manga was cancelled before it was finished over here because of low sales and the graphic content in later volumes, and the anime has been oop for years. But in terms of gruesome deconstructions of a genre, Narutaru pulls it off INCREDIBLY well- it does for the "kids controlling pet monsters" genre what Madoka does for magical girls. Honorable mention goes to Mohiro Kitoh's other series Bokurano, although that one is really best in manga form.)

-

I somewhat disagree with the whole concept of underrate and overrated in entertainment matters. That's because entertainment main purpose is, obviously, to entertain. So let's pick a show with shitty artwork, cliche and bland story, crappy soundtrack and awful voice acting. If that show is liked by many, no matter how bad I think it is, it still serves it's function as entertainment-

If something was made with a purpose in mind, and it perfectly accomplishes it's purpose, the job was well done. All the more impressive if that thing could accomplish it with little/inadequate resources and a lot of disadvantages.

I think things like this are usually rated in a subjective manner by "how much fun did this bring me". And I think that's fine.

I completely agree with this. I mean people are bound to have different opinions so.. for example.. if you think a show is overrated and can't seem to see why it's so popular when it's just so-so for you. That's because you probably have a different taste? I guess it all depends on how people enjoyed watching it..

Let's say.. Free! anime. I think it's one of the popular anime in 2013 though tbh the story is just so-so for me. Nothing special. But I did enjoy it. I guess because I enjoy anime that is full of boys?? But I disagree with people saying it's just a fanservice anime. Because after all, it still has an acceptable plot.. and it was made with the purpose to entertain girls/women more I guess. Then again it's just my own opinion so yeah. XD

The issue with Evangelion is that a lot of people hail it for the wrong reason and try to see DEEP significance where there isn't. 

Actually Evangelion does have thematic and underlying significance. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to spend the time actually thinking about it, and would rather merely be "entertained". It takes work to properly deconstruct and find underlying meanings and symbols in any work of literature, (or film, or anime). The first time I watched Evangelion I was like a lot of people; I didn't like it and thought that people were bullshitting all sorts of hidden meanings. However, after two years of my first viewing I decided to re watch it; and accompanied with my prior knowledge of the series I was able to see and understand the thematic depth that is present in the series. My point is that in order to really appreciate Evangelion it is something you will have to rewatch (multiple times) and spend time thinking about. People (including myself when I first watched it) who only want to be entertained will be more likely to falsely criticize the fan base of pretentiousness, and not be able to recognize the true beauty of the series.

If you gave Evangelion a try and didn't like it that's fine. What I have a bit of a problem with is when people claim that there isn't actually any underlying significance in it, because that is false. 

If you gave Evangelion a try and didn't like it that's fine. What I have a bit of a problem with is when people say there isn't any deeper meanings in it, (because that is false).

Oh, I realize now that my sentence probably gave the wrong impression.

I actually love Evangelion, for multiple reasons, and I do see where are its thematics and significance. Hell, it's the most influential anime of all time. And probably one of those with the most accurate content.

What I wanted to say was, there IS a reason to criticize a part of the fanbase for pretentiousness, because there are people out there who were told "Evangelion is great" and proceeded to look for deep meanings where there wasn't (eg the religious look), arguing that it's "so deep and philosophical" when they don't understand one bit of it. Or to understand more or less what it's really about but then be obnoxious about it.

They're part of the reason why Evangelion has that reputation of overrated stuff. Another factor being that it's kinda hard to explain all the aspects that make Evangelion what it is. 

(On a side point, Evangelion does have an entertaining value. It's a shame people who are told "hey watch this it's deep and mature" end up hating it because they were pointed in the wrong direction. At its zero-est degree of interpretation, it's still a show with giant robots and sexy chicks, after all)

Oh, I realize now that my sentence probably gave the wrong impression.

I actually love Evangelion, for multiple reasons, and I do see where are its thematics and significance. Hell, it's the most influential anime of all time. And probably one of those with the most accurate content.

What I wanted to say was, there IS a reason to criticize a part of the fanbase for pretentiousness, because there are people out there who were told "Evangelion is great" and proceeded to look for deep meanings where there wasn't (eg the religious look), arguing that it's "so deep and philosophical" when they don't understand one bit of it. Or to understand more or less what it's really about but then be obnoxious about it.

They're part of the reason why Evangelion has that reputation of overrated stuff. Another factor being that it's kinda hard to explain all the aspects that make Evangelion what it is. 

Actually I completely agree with your criticism of some of the fan base. There are some people who read what they want to read instead of what's actually there. So yeah, I can understand frustration towards that part of the fan base.

• 4 weeks later...

Accel World is totally overratted.

Globaly too many shonens are overrated. Same for school/slice of life stuff but not as much as the latter.

Underrated : Suisei no Gargantia, I don't know if it's really underrated but it doesn't get enough attention in my opinion.

Underrated : Suisei no Gargantia, I don't know if it's really underrated but it doesn't get enough attention in my opinion.

It got discussed quite a lot when it aired, because Urobuchi, etc.

In the end it was a bit disappointing, even though not bad, so I don't think it's underrated. Discussion dying down after 6 months is pretty common for recent shows like this, sadly.

Uta~Kata was a totally underrated show, and everyone should watch it!!

As for overrated... One Piece, because whenever I tell a Japanese person I'm an anime fan, they ALWAYS, without fail, say 'Oh, so you like One Piece?' NO I DO NOT LIKE ONE PIECE arhaghahfgh