Most Overrated and Underrated Animes

atchikotchi

i haven't seen a thread like this so why not i guess, i'm curious as to what series you guys consider overrated and underrated and why, either old series or recent ones :D

Overrated, i would say Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko., Free!, Yuru Yuri, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Sakurasou no pet na kanojo, to love ru, Oreimo, Full Metal Alchemist, Attack on Titan (these are probably already very well known, i think i missed a few but oh well) now don't get me wrong, (some of) these series aren't bad, but in my view, they don't really live up to all of the hype people give them. Some series that have become known, such as Evangelion, One Piece, Madoka Magica etc. do live to the hype people give them, but then again, that's just my point of view.

as for underrated? there's a few:

Genshiken: well just think of it as Oreimo, just with, you know, less incest, less harem, and more about the otaku culture and sassy college otakus. It's kinda strange its underrated, considering it has 2 seasons and a currently airing season.

Desert Punk: should this one be considered an ecchi? nah, but it has a good plot and its freaking hilarious, that is if you don't mind dark humor.

Ghost Hound: a creepy anime that will surely crawl under your skin, having a great "what just happened" plot that you won't figure out until the end.

Seitokai no Ichizon: this parodies everything of the otaku culture, literally everything, in a hilarious way, too bad it's not very recognized

Air: out of all of Key's VN's that have got animated, this one is probably the most underrated one, it has a great plot (you know, your typical romance and supernatural-ish stuff that key's always include) and good character development.

Most people that have watch it either don't understand the ending or just don't like the ending, but in reality, that ending is good, bittersweet mostly

Hm, I don't watch much anime but from what I tried, Full Metal Alchemist really didn't seem that good from first 2 episodes I watched (and then dropped it), but can't judge the whole show as I didn't finish, maybe it really is epic at the end. But if the anime cant get my attention after 2 episodes, its already a bad trait.

For underrated, I must actually say opposite of yours, To Love Ru is like one of the best things and I was surprised it has like 5/10 rating.

Kiss x Sis OAD is actually the best thing and has really low ratings.

As for what you mentioned, Seitokai no Ichizon was funny for me in the first episodes but then the jokes seemed to always be the same or similar so I dropped it.

And AIR is great story, but the anime was too short (from like 100h VN to 6h anime), that's why its lower rated, lot of the important stuff remains unexplained and felt like rushed very quickly.

But you should always remember to not pay much attention to ratings, as you can see, best thing for one can be boring for others, therefore receiving average rating of like 5 or 6. The best thing is just to try first episode and if you like it, continue, if not, drop it.

I find ratings something personal, I give it number in comparison to other things I watched, not other people and I have different scales than other people. So looking on ratings of other random people you don't know (are not your friends so you can't ask them why they gave it such number) is never going to work. Just ask friends with similar tastes for recommendations or read review of someone you know likes similar things like you and it will work much better, average rating number is really unimportant number and means basically nothing.

Hm, I don't watch much anime but from what I tried, Full Metal Alchemist really didn't seem that good from first 2 episodes I watched (and then dropped it), but can't judge the whole show as I didn't finish, maybe it really is epic at the end. But if the anime cant get my attention after 2 episodes, its already a bad trait.

For underrated, I must actually say opposite of yours, To Love Ru is like one of the best things and I was surprised it has like 5/10 rating.

Kiss x Sis OAD is actually the best thing and has really low ratings.

As for what you mentioned, Seitokai no Ichizon was funny for me in the first episodes but then the jokes seemed to always be the same or similar so I dropped it.

And AIR is great story, but the anime was too short (from like 100h VN to 6h anime), that's why its lower rated, lot of the important stuff remains unexplained and felt like rushed very quickly.

But you should always remember to not pay much attention to ratings, as you can see, best thing for one can be boring for others, therefore receiving average rating of like 5 or 6. The best thing is just to try first episode and if you like it, continue, if not, drop it.

I find ratings something personal, I give it number in comparison to other things I watched, not other people and I have different scales than other people. So looking on ratings of other random people you don't know (are not your friends so you can't ask them why they gave it such number) is never going to work. Just ask friends with similar tastes for recommendations or read review of someone you know likes similar things like you and it will work much better, average rating number is really unimportant number and means basically nothing.

Completely agree with you :D also, your reply made me realize that what i posted sounded a bit selfish somehow, i apologize if that's the impression i left ( ´ ▽ ` ") ahah

Nah its fine, its your ideas you believe and that is a good thing.

The series you mentioned as overrated are the ones that have like some catchy thing about them which makes them popular, ultra cute henneko with awesome OP, catchy OP video and song in nyaruko, cute and awesome OP in yuru yuri. So they are very popular and maybe that is what you saw as overrated (lot of youtube vids etc)

Those are the ones I saw and I loved them all, they are good, I loved them but they had some cons as well. Together actually with To Love Ru, in henneko and nyaruko the MC is so indecisive that it sometimes hurt me and I was yelling at the screen "JUST HAVE SEX WITH THE GIRLS ALREADY" but I still loved the shows and that's how I rate it.

The show can be not as good and I enjoy it at that time so much that I just think its near masterpiece, if I watched it in different mood, I might not like it. It can be same with VN, I might fall in love with some girl there (and marry her or Mare-y her I could say tongue.gif) and I will forgive it some things I didn't like (like I already said once in VN discussion, I didn't like Asuho's personality in her route in Hoshimemo, yet I still rated the game 10 as the amount of good stuff just overweighted the not so good stuff and I found my biggest love in the world there).

So overall enjoyment you get from something depends on many variables which can change over time. What I don't get is how can someone watch something he doesn't like, finish it and then rate it low and bash it, if you don't like something, just drop it, don't finish it and maybe some day you will have mood for it and enjoy it as much.

I actually know that To Love Ru season 1 was really perfect fit at that exact time for me, as I was just in the mood for that specific kind of ecchi and if I watched it some other time, I would probably not enjoy it so much to love it that much.

Underrated, I would say Mahoromatic, even with it's Gainax-esque ending (that I'm "almost" sure is the same in the manga), it's a good series that keeps you entertained. Maybe Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu too, but in this case I would say that it's because people doesn't know it, rather than it's underrated.

As for overrated, anything that appeals to the viewers with fanservice (not only pantyshots and the like, but all the length of the term) and because of that becomes superpopular.

Eh I don't hear too much hype so It's hard for me to know what's over rated.

But I know for sure that Ano natsu de matteru is under rated, haven't heard anyone talk about that one. And though it is kinda cheesy it was a nice anime.

Another one in my opinion would be Kimi ni Todoke...this anime is so funny and heart warming with a touch of romance...and I've never heard of it. I had to find this treasue on my own and I think that qualifies it to be considered under-rated.

Clannad is ungodly overrated. And anything Urobuchi.

But Urobuchi is amazing~ (His VNs anyways. Haven't watched any of his anime but Madoka, which is overrated).

I do agree with Wahfuu that Clannad is overrated. But let's not forget about the most overrated anime of all time (save Naruto and the rest of those insanely long shows with tons of filler that have a lot of fans for some reason): Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.

Underrated: ef - A Tale of Memories. An amazing romance that needs more love.

Overrated:

SAO, Bleach, Naruto, One piece, DBZ, Attack on titan, Haruhi

Underrated:

Accel World, Maria-sama ga miteru(Light and fluffy :D), Virus vs Venus, Aria etc.

Honestly, Accel World would have a second season if it wasn't for SAO coming out in the middle of the broadcasting.

let's not forget about the most overrated anime of all time (save Naruto and the rest of those insanely long shows with tons of filler that have a lot of fans for some reason): Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.

Nope, it's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nothing can match it for insane levels of devotion (in Japan and everywhere else) for a "just OK" show

But Urobuchi is amazing~ (His VNs anyways. Haven't watched any of his anime but Madoka, which is overrated).

Yeah I wasn't talking VN's. I wish Urobuchi would just stick to text forever. He can't write anime worth a damn.

Nope, it's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nothing can match it for insane levels of devotion (in Japan and everywhere else) for a "just OK" show

Eva isn't really popular for being quality, honestly. It's popular because of how influential it was in the realm of anime. Which it was, for sure.

For overrated? FLCL. It's grossly overrated and it makes me mad how people think it to be one of the greatest anime ever made. It felt like it was being crazy just to be crazy and people like it because it pretends to be deep and meaningful when its really just a 6 episode penis joke.

Angel Beats! is another anime I find to be very overrated. It very nearly isn't even good but is saved by the comedy. The problem I had with it is that it couldn't decide what kind of show it wanted to be and the story didn't feel like it had any structure. It just kind of wanders all over the place, never really settling in and letting you get into the story.

For underrated, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. It's a very tame SoL for a Shaft anime, but the last few episodes make it a very, very interesting watch as we see the impact people make on others, without them even realizing it. The final episodes were very well done.

My second underrated anime would be one that is airing right now. Gatchaman Crowds. It's quickly become one of my favorite anime. It has a very ambitious story, fun characters, and the psuedo- retro feel of the show adds a lot of atmosphere. I don't see nearly enough hype for it.

Yeah I wasn't talking VN's. I wish Urobuchi would just stick to text forever.

Yes.

I disagree with all of the people on here saying that Seitokai no Ichizon is underrated. It's pretty popular, and it wasn't good in my opinion. It seemed like a Lucky Star rip off with some harem elements. Also, what was up with

Mafuyu's confession

in the second-to-last episode? That totally came out of nowhere, and didn't advance what little of a plot the show had at all.

Yes.

I disagree with all of the people on here saying that Seitokai no Ichizon is underrated. It's pretty popular, and it wasn't good in my opinion. It seemed like a Lucky Star rip off with some harem elements. Also, what was up with

Mafuyu's confession

in the second-to-last episode? That totally came out of nowhere, and didn't advance what little of a plot the show had at all.

It will be explained in the LN IIRC.

my default overrated anime is obviously evangelion.

my underrated anime would have to be hataraku maou-sama. no matter how many people love this show, it isn't enough. everyone could love this show and I would still consider it underrated.

my serious answer would be Tytania. very few people have heard of it from what I've seen, but it is absolutely beautiful. it's like what outlaw star would have looked like if it was written by William Shakespeare. go watch it now.

my default overrated anime is obviously evangelion.

my underrated anime would have to be hataraku maou-sama. no matter how many people love this show, it isn't enough. everyone could love this show and I would still consider it underrated.

my serious answer would be Tytania. very few people have heard of it from what I've seen, but it is absolutely beautiful. it's like what outlaw star would have looked like if it was written by William Shakespeare. go watch it now.

Where do you live? We even consider Maou-sama as the best anime last season(?).

I somewhat disagree with the whole concept of underrate and overrated in entertainment matters. That's because entertainment main purpose is, obviously, to entertain. So let's pick a show with shitty artwork, cliche and bland story, crappy soundtrack and awful voice acting. If that show is liked by many, no matter how bad I think it is, it still serves it's function as entertainment-

If something was made with a purpose in mind, and it perfectly accomplishes it's purpose, the job was well done. All the more impressive if that thing could accomplish it with little/inadequate resources and a lot of disadvantages.

I think things like this are usually rated in a subjective manner by "how much fun did this bring me". And I think that's fine.