Fire Emblem Series Discussion

kyrt

Thread for discussion on Fire Emblem games old, new, upcoming, and spinoffs. 

Fire Emblem is seeing a resurgence ever since the release of Awakening back in 2012 and has been steadily becoming one of Nintendo's more acclaimed properties. Since Awakening's release we've gotten Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (a remake of Gaiden), Fire Emblem Heroes (mobile game), Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and even Fire Emblem Warriors coming out this year and Fire Emblem Switch coming in 2018. This is all since 2012 to say nothing of the other officially licensed Fire Emblem Games; Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and although the older games have not been officially a licensed a solid patch exists for many of the other entries with one of the best translations/patches being for Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (the game that released in Japan before Awakening and started the whole Avatar idea).

What few people are aware of however is that one of the games Mystery of the Emblem actually received a two episode anime prior to any of the Fire Emblem games (or even Super Smash) actually being released outside of Japan which is tolerable if you're a fan of Mars...err Marth. 

The Fire Emblem series has seen an awakening of sorts outside of Japan and while the last game people have been questionable towards due to the story (which was admittedly poorly written in places) one can't argue that it had some of the most unique maps in the series to date and some excellent music. Whether your a fan of old or new here's a few questions for potential discussion (please remember to keep spoilers in spoiler boxes) or go ahead and ask and answer your own:

How many fire emblem games have you played and what are they? 

Favorite character(s)/Kingdom/music/plot/map/chapter/event/skill/weapon/etc

Which was your first Fire Emblem game?

Best Waifus/Husbandos/etc...

How do you play the games? (Casual, Classic, Phoenix, Lunatic, Hard, Normal, RP, Male/Female, etc...)

Pick a Boon/Strength and a Bane/Flaw

What is your favorite game in the series?

What do you like about the Fire Emblem series?

Who was the first character you got killed?

What do you dislike about the Fire Emblem series? 

What are you hopeful for with Fire Emblem Switch or Fire Emblem Warrior or a good idea for a new spin off (what would you like them to do different?)

Do you have any suggestions for people looking for games like Fire Emblem?

1 hour ago, kyrt said:

The Fire Emblem series has seen an awakening of sorts outside of Japan

I see what you did there.

To answer some of those questions...

I've completed Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, I've played through a good amount of both Fire Emblem, and Awakening.

Favorite characters? no one has really struck me as being my favorite, though there have been a lot of characters I liked. My favorite class though, would be Myrmidon. Their high speed is marvelous.

My first game was actually Shadow Dragon, which apparently is called a "bad" game in the series, particularly for it's lack of character development besides Marth and some others. Still, it managed to get me hooked to play some of the other games.

My taste is too trash to name any waifus. not many of them stand out as good to me.

I usually play the games on Classic, there's no point for me if the risk is taken away (though I just restart anyway because 'tis too sad), and I also play on hard to have some challenge.

Favorite game would probably be Mystery of the Emblem for a particular moment that I had in the game. I was at the final boss trying to keep everyone alive, but no matter what way I did it someone had to die for me to win, I played this scenario in so many different ways for what had to be 2 hours at least. Eventually, I tried leveling Marth up to see if I could get him to do more damage to the boss so he'd live through the battle. I already did enough damage to secure the win, but Marth did a critical hit on the last hit in the game which made it so much more epic that I felt super fulfilled for trying so hard to save everyone.

The thing I like most about the Fire Emblem games, is building up your army through recruiting people in the battles you fight, some may be bystanders, allies who join your cause to back you up, or even enemies who can be persuaded by a certain character and avoid a grisly death. The strategy and character interactions in the games is also a big plus.

Fire Emblem (port/remake of the original to DS)

Fire Emblem Awakening (my favorite)

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, Birthright, Revelations

Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia (was boring)

Fire Emblem Sacred Stones

Fire Emblem The Blazing Blade (my first)

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (was great but...)

What I like about the series are the varying classes, their roles, and the older-style strategy (predating the post FFT 'revolution')

No favorite characters, because the series doesn't really have very good casts of characters... I did like the kitsune daughter in Fates, though.

I play Classic in post-Awakening, though I turn off permadeath for my peace of mind (I recall breaking my DS on my knee at one point...).  I preferred the female protagonist in Awakening.

I got the protagonist of the Blazing Blade killed repeatedly in the first battle, lol.

No, I'm not hopeful about the Switch game or Warriors.  Fates was a step in the right direction for the gameplay and classes but a step in the wrong direction for plot, and Shadows was even worse for story...

I'd like a conquest strategy spin-off, where the object is to subjugate and assimilate the cultures of an entire world with  massive armies of hundreds, thousands, and even hundreds of thousands of troops based off the classes from the FE series.

For VN fans, the Genrin no Kishougun sub-series based in the Ikusa Megami world is very close to Fire Emblem's early incarnations in gameplay.  For strategy fans, I suggest picking up the Shining Force games off of Steam (Sega Classics).  Other than that... Vanguard Bandits as a PSone classic on psn.   Most srpgs are based off of the FFT model, which avoids permadeath, randomized stat-gains, and the like.  If you aren't picky, there are hundreds of srpgs out there based off the generalized Japanese model, lol.

How many Fire Emblem games have I played? 6 (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia, Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Fates (all 3 routes), and Fire Emblem New Mysteries of the Emblem (currently playing). 

Favorite Characters: Tom (honestly hard to pick)

Favorite Music: Don't Speak Her Name (Awakening)

Favorite Map: Conquest Map 10, Awakening Map 10 (for the atmosphere...the map itself is rather lame) and probably Apotheosis, 

Least Favorite Maps: Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride (not difficult just annoying) and Snow Shoveling (both from Fates (conquest for the first and chapter 10 revelation for snow)

Favorite Class/Skill/Item: Myrmidon...not just a simple sword wielder...also Witch is surprisingly a lot of fun to play (and break the game with).

Favorite Game in the Series: Awakening probably wins out slightly if for no other reason than how it managed to bring the series back from the brink.

What was your first Fire Emblem game? The Sacred Stones

Best Waifus/Husbandos/Bros/BFF/etc: Don't really have one but I married Tharja in my first Awakening playthrough and Scarlet in my first Birthright playthrough, I went Anna for Revelation, and I went 'Odin' for Conquest. Out of all of those I probably liked Scarlet the best but wouldn't really call any of them waifu/husbando/etc...

How do I play the games: It really depends for the older games I generally played on classic hard (for sacred stones that's not really a problem) for the newer sometimes I play with classic and sometimes I don't. I usually play a male character when it's a create-a-soul.

Boon: Speed

Bane: Luck 

What do I like about Fire Emblem? The strategy, the choices actually matter (I like the potential of permadeath), and the odd cast of characters each with often their own agenda and personality. I don't mind Waifu Emblem although it does hurt the story telling in the games more often than not...when said story telling actually exists that is. 

First character I got killed? Franz or Gilliam if I remember correctly. Pretty sure it was map 5 on Eirika's path. 

What do I dislike about the Fire Emblem series: The writing can vary from decent to god awful and sometimes it doesn't stay consistent. I feel as if in the most recent game that two of the villains should have been much more fleshed out as characters because they didn't really have a motivation for their actions. I also dislike Nintendo which is a bit odd to say but the way they've treated the last few games with the huge amount of overpriced dlc (some of which probably should have been in the game) rather disgusts me. 

Hopeful for Fire Emblem Switch (lot of things they need to tick off): Less censorship (preferably create the game without a need to censor anything to begin with), less memes in translation, good localization, worldwide release, children if used at all used in an interesting way, more supports, more unique ways of getting characters, more interaction between the entire cast, dual pairings need to return, Kellam revealed as an Elder God, Not split between multiple games, quality writing, an attempt at a good story and characters, more unique maps and great music, free dlc/really cheap or very little to no dlc, a connection to a game besides Awakening.

Suggestions for people looking for games similar-ish to Fire Emblem: XCOM 2 (will rng screw you just like fire emblem), Devil Survivor Overclocked (and Devil Survivor 2), Shining Force, Advanced Wars, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona Series (for the support like elements), Final Fantasy Tactics (Advance and A2  primarily), Luminous Arc series, Record of Agarest War Series (mileage will vary), Tear Ring Saga (need a patch), Growlanser Generations (series in general), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel, La Pucelle Tactics (mileage will vary), Divinity Original Sin 1 or 2 (depending on if you're interested in trying something western rpg,) Phantom of the Kill (mobile game similar to Fire Emblem Heroes apparently), Conception II, Disgaea (if you can handle insanity and bad puns), Suikoden Tactics, Kamidori Alchemy Meister (vn eushully)

I'm relatively new to the series started with Awakening and played Conquest as well.

Frederick really stuck with me as a character.  Enjoyed how absurdly broken he was early game.  His interactions with Chrom were hilarious and the fan comics that were made with him were great as well.

As for waifu material, I go for either Cordelia or Anna.  Anna's lack of dialogue with other characters is a real shame though.

For difficulty I prefer classic, lunatic.  A bit too challenging, but hard felt a bit too easy for me, especially later in the game.

I usually stick with defense boon, with a flaw of skill.  Prefer characters that can clog up passageways and take minimal damage.

I'm a big fan of the gameplay and the dialogue events of the series.  Watching the fights are entertaining, hoping my evasion works out in critical moments and those 3% enemy criticals never land.  Conquest improved many aspects of it as well as making some nice additions like ninjas.

I think Gaius was the first character I got killed, and I'm pretty sure it was at my hand as well.  Didn't know you were supposed to talk to him and I wiped him out instead.  When I heard the music change when he died I figured I done something wrong.

My main gripe with the series is probably the story elements.  Awakening was pretty lacking, but it still had its moments.  It's character's were pretty one dimensional, but they were still fun and likable.  Conquest had downright terrible writing with how dumb the characters were acting in the story.  It's character's were less memorable as well, and I put the game down just before completing it due to these flaws.

As for new Fire Emblem games, I'm pretty much just going to wait and see what happens.  I may pick up any new games if they interest me when they come out.

For similar games I would look into the Advance wars games, Yggdra Union, Xcom, and the Disgaea series.

27 minutes ago, Clephas said:

No, I'm not hopeful about the Switch game or Warriors.  Fates was a step in the right direction for the gameplay and classes but a step in the wrong direction for plot, and Shadows was even worse for story...

Do remember that Shadows of Valentia was a remake of Gaiden and primarily kept things the same just having them look better. Honestly I thought the opening/prologue of Valentia was really well done. The english voice acting surprisingly enough I thought gave the characters actual personalities and I enjoyed the game for what it was. It definitely faltered in a few places but overall I enjoyed it. Now I will have to see how they do with Fire Emblem Switch hopefully it will be a completely new story and hopefully it won't be as poorly written. Admittedly I'm not sure it will convince me to pick up a Switch but who knows in a year from now...

3 minutes ago, Papa Sheep said:

For similar games I would look into the Advance wars games, Yggdra Union, Xcom, and the Disgaea series.

I knew I was forgetting something in my own list Yggdra Union, Riviera: The Promised Land, Knights in the Nightmare, Gungnir, nearly all the games from Dept Heaven would fit in this category...hell I own these games I should have remembered them. I mentioned the Growlanser series above because characters can permadie in that series and there are dating sim elements... Hell I could probably add Radiant Historia to the list as well.

I've played most FEs since the GBAs, and I liked them for the characters and story, at least till Awaifuing.

And don't even get me started with the butchered mess that is Feces. Even Shadow Dragon did a better job with it's characters and except for Marth and a few others they were noting more than random NPC soldier NR.X.

But I really liked Shadows for going back to important parts of the series. I can't understand why people don't like it. Nice Story, no Waifu-simulator and the dungeons at least looked nice. Ok, they reused a few maps, kill 'em with fire! But at least we got protagonists that aren't L/Marry Sue-wish fulfillment-Deus ex-superpowered-and absolutely vital for the plot-Self Inserts-with no personality. Robin was kinda oka-ish given that the whole story is a multi-dimensional clusterfuck. But Corrin, effing Corrin... How can you give someone a holy sword, let him turn into a dragon and give him siblings that are trying to kill each other and still do everything wrong?!?§%&$/%/(%/§!! (Ok, Conquest had some good maps, but everything else was even worse than anything else in Farts)

Characters I liked: Mad King Ashnard, Zelgius, Awakenings Baby-Kefka, Marth (Smash Bros. Main)

First Character killed: the old general in Shadow Dragon and only because the game told me to sacrifice him.

I really hope FE gets back to their old stories of political conflicts, misguided rulers and (sometimes not so) heroic knights trying to right the wrongs.

Call me a damn casual but I've only played post 2012 games but not including the mobile ones. I really didn't like the Shadows remake and not because of it doesn't have the features I'm used to from the newer games but more of the characters I found myself not really caring about any of them and especially the female protagonist *Can't even remember her name haha* I found so dull that I just stopped playing.

My Favourite Characters are:

Awakenings - Frederick for his deadpan comedic moments in his banter and Say'ri as her character was really cool.

Fates -  Scarlet and Peri just as they where both funny and pretty wacky but there wasn't really a character in Fates that I didn't like which is rare for me.

Best Waifus - Beruka and Flavia as I like my women strong haha but I loved Niles too.

7 hours ago, Prinny said:

But I really liked Shadows for going back to important parts of the series. I can't understand why people don't like it. Nice Story, no Waifu-simulator and the dungeons at least looked nice. Ok, they reused a few maps, kill 'em with fire! But at least we got protagonists that aren't L/Marry Sue-wish fulfillment-Deus ex-superpowered-and absolutely vital for the plot-Self Inserts-with no personality. Robin was kinda oka-ish given that the whole story is a multi-dimensional clusterfuck. But Corrin, effing Corrin... How can you give someone a holy sword, let him turn into a dragon and give him siblings that are trying to kill each other and still do everything wrong?!?§%&$/%/(%/§!! (Ok, Conquest had some good maps, but everything else was even worse than anything else in Farts)

I really hope FE gets back to their old stories of political conflicts, misguided rulers and (sometimes not so) heroic knights trying to right the wrongs.

See personally I am of the opinion that they have introduced concepts and ideas that will greatly benefit the series once they can get characters and script to the point of being able to incorporate all of it well. Would really like to see the next Fire Emblem game have a main character (create-a-character or normal) start out living in the slums and be part (not the head or even really anyone important with most of your bonds forming from other soldiers, merchants, and townsfolk) of a resistance to take down the current ruler in the first half of the game and then realize in the second half that the former ruler was actually doing what he/she was doing in order to protect his/her people from someone or something far worse. Nothing really new but a very easy way to get in elements of all sorts. There could be a hideout where recruited characters hang out and where bonds of all sorts can form between characters (I actually like the fact conversations took place separate from the chapters themselves more often than not in the recent games and I have no problem with waifu-simulator if it's done right with unique conversations depending on characters and the like for each character, hell they could bring back second, third or even zero generations if they can do it in a way that actually makes fucking sense). What I initially liked about Fire Emblem Awakening is that although you had a create a character you were not the focal point of the story...at least for a good chunk of it. I want to see them take the best of the old and the best of the new and get competent/skillful writers to craft a memorable game.

Fates major flaw was in its main character as they made him much too important to the main plot and didn't really flesh out any of the characters beyond the royals and even then they didn't do a great job at that either. I also would like it if the bloody games could stop showing future events in the bloody beginning of the game. Give us time to grow attached to characters first.

1 hour ago, Thatcomicguy said:

Call me a damn casual but I've only played post 2012 games but not including the mobile ones. I really didn't like the Shadows remake and not because of it doesn't have the features I'm used to from the newer games but more of the characters I found myself not really caring about any of them and especially the female protagonist *Celica* I found so dull that I just stopped playing.

I can understand newer fans not caring for Shadows remake and I can understand older fans also not caring for Shadows remake. I actually found the characters in Shadows quite interesting and loved elements of the game but hated some other aspects of it. The gaiden remake was a slow burn overall and even then it isn't the best game but I still enjoyed it.

I've been a pretty hardcore Fire Emblem fan for a while now. Hell, the first internet forum I joined back in 2010 was a Fire Emblem Forum. I also occasionally ROM hack fire emblem games as a hobby. In fact, I even once made a Fire Emblem hack that was a parody of the Fuwanovel community back in 2015 (Part 1, Part 2). In addition to that, my avatar is a touched up mug of one of my favorite characters from my favorite Fire Emblem game, FE 4.

Q1: I've played through FE4, FE6, FE7, FE8 fully. I got half way through Fire Emblem 3 book 1 (which is just a remake of FE 1). And I played a bit of the original FE2 a couple of years ago, but didn't really like it much. Oh, I also played through some of Fates. But I didn't like it that much. In fact, I just am not much of a fan of the newer Fire Emblem games. These days, if I am looking for a new Fire Emblem experience, I usually play fan-made rom hacks instead.

Q2: My favorite character is probably... Damn that's a hard question. In FE4 I would say Eltshan (my avatar). He was a truly loyal knight, even to the bitter end. In FE6, I would say Narshen, he is a really fun villain. In FE7, Legault. In FE8, Rennac. 

Q3: Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones was my first. I think it was 12 years ago the first time I played it.

Q4: I actually hate how FE has become Waifu Emblem recently.

Q5: Classic Hard.

Q6: N/A

Q7: Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War  (aka FE4) is my favorite.

Q8: I love how well you get to know the characters through their interactions. Especially in supports. You grow an attachment to them, which just makes you care more if they die. 

Q9: God, this was over a decade ago. All I can tell you, is that in my first run of FE 8 I let a lot of characters die, lol. And I remember I forgot to recruit Joshua and just killed him with Seth. 

Q10: I don't really like the new direction it has been going. The stories don't seem as good as they used to be, villains (especially the ones in Fates) are too 1-dimensional, and I don't like the whole Waifu Emblem thing.

Q11: Honestly, I don't pay much attention to what's happening to Fire Emblem anymore (on the official end). I like playing unofficial ROM hacks time to time though. 

Q12: As mentioned above, Yggdra Union is a really fun game.

Yeah, I can't really deny that I am one of those cliched long time Fire Emblem Veterans who has turned Elitist and dislikes the newer games. But hey, when you fell so in love with the older games, its just really hard to adjust your tastes. I have no problem with people who like the newer games. It is just that for me personally they are not my thing.  

Hey, a post talking about Fire Emblem! Let me join too!!

I'm not sure how many I have played but I'll write them down as I go along. Ive started with the GBA titles so: FE6 (translated), FE7 (Blazing Sword), FE8 (Sacred Stones), FE9 (Path of Radiance), FE11 (Shadow Dragon), FE12 (translated), FE13 (Awakening), FE14 (Fates), FE15 (Echoes).

I've also played a bit of FE2 (Gaiden) and FE4 but l I've stopped playing it afterwards (I hate how those game mechanics).

So I've played 11 of them. Damn, I feel old...

I'm not sure about this one, I'd say Lyn for favourite weapon and attack since she was the first character that I came across. FE7 was my first game after all. I also love her teleportation attack too.

Dread Fighter in Echoes also had a good attack animation.

I don't really have a favourite character but maybe Male Robin because he's a tactician and looks cool to me.

Music is difficult too but the quality of music for Fire Emblem is really good recently maybe the latest games from Fates and Echoes would be the best music for me.

Fire Emblem 7/Blazing Sword.

Linde from Shadow Dragon would be my favourite waifu, I guess (Too bad there wasn't a marriage mechanic during that time).

Camilla would be the best waifu with the marriage mechanic since I kind of got into the Older Sister character trope these days...

How do you play the games? (Casual, Classic, Phoenix, Lunatic, Hard, Normal, RP, Male/Female, etc...)

Since I'm a Veteran I usually play Classic + Lunatic mode just like the older games. And no, I'm not saying that I'm a pro or a hardcore player either.

With Avatar characters, I might play them with the default look and name to make it feel like they're in the story. I pick the male counterparts

From Fates: +SPD, -LUCK

FE 7 (Blazing Sword) or FE 14 (Fates). I think Fates might be my favourite game so far. There's a lot to do for that game and I've been playing it over and over again to test out my team.

Well, Conquest anyways since it's the most challenging one out of the bunch. Trying to do Camilla Emblem at the moment too.

The maps and the weapon triangle. It really makes you think of the layout and how to strategise your positioning. With permadeath, it really brings a challenge since you are restrained to not letting any of your characters die.

Don't remember but I think it was Florina in FE7. She was frail as hell and I accidentally placed her into the archer's range.

FE3/FE15 and FE4's game mechanics. They try to innovate it to make it more unique but it feels really annoying to me. I don't want it to go back to those again.

This isn't entirely about the people making the series but the people who are translating them for the Western audience: Nintendo Treehouse. Tell them to stop localising the game to what they want. FE9 (Path of Radiance) and FE14 (Fates) were the worst contenders for it especially Fates. So many cut dialogue which were filled with their lousy memes as well as cutting-out other things that they thought were not appropriate.

I seriously hate what they were doing to these games and I was really happy that 8-4 took over the translation for Awakening and Echoes. It stayed more faithful to the original script.

What are you hopeful for with Fire Emblem Switch or Fire Emblem Warrior or a good idea for a new spin off (what would you like them to do different?)

A better story without flaws like Fates. They should also add in a plot twist which will upset our ways of thinking. Also, make map like Fates Conquest.

No Spin-offs or changing the game mechanic again. Honestly playing Echoes left a bad taste in my mouth after going through those annoying maps...

Try Advance Wars? since it's made by the same company. The only chessboard-tactic game that I play is Fire Emblem anyways. It got me interested in the game because of how unique each character is.

Not going to answer every question systematically, but I've been a big FE fan since it first made its way over to the west. I've played all of the translated games, save Echoes, and played FE6 and part of FE4 with translation patches. I generally play Hard Classic.

I share some of your sentiments in that I'm a little worried about where the series is heading. Awakening had an awesome style and lots of polish but the story and combat felt overly simplistic. I did like the return of the child mechanic, though, and anyone x anyone supports were nice. Maps were pretty 

I actually liked Fates a lot from a gameplay perspective. Conquest had some great and varied maps, and other than overpowered royals I liked the unit/class variety and room for lots of strategies. Story was even worse than Awakening's, though, with some one-dimensional and/or underdeveloped characters, silly plot points, and very little consistency.

Personally I'm indifferent to the whole 'Waifu Emblem' thing - and if gameplay in future titles was like Fates, I'd be OK with that - but I'm mostly just worried about the lack of a compelling plot, flat characters, and nonexistent world-building from here on out. Now I'm not saying that PoR/RoD was Shakespeare, but there were some fun politics, sympathetic units, and cool plot secrets all wrapped up in an interesting world. I'd like to see an entry like the Telius games again, but alas, those two sold pretty poorly while Awakening sold like hotcakes. One can hope, though...

Considering Intelligent Systems was planning to make Awakening the last Fire Emblem game originally I'm quite happy that they've managed to stick around and if the sacrifice necessary for it to give us more games is waifu emblem I am perfectly fine with that as long as they significantly improve the writing and the supports/characters/world building/villains. One of my my favorite pieces of actual plot relevant content wasn't actually in the any of the three fates versions but was actually made into DLC (as wrong as that itself is). I feel as if the writing for the two pieces of Hidden Truth DLC (and even the maps which while not hard were interesting mechanically) was quite different. If I didn't know better I'd say they were cut from the main game to be made dlc but considering they came a month after the game itself perhaps they realized the game had a major flaw and decided to write a reason for the villain and certain other characters being there...there's no way Nintendo would cut content to make it paid dlc. We have Awakening to thank for Nintendo's realization that they could make big bucks off of dlc...(seriously love the games hate the company).

Well, to be honest I didn't had play Fire Emblem much although I could tell my story a bit in regard of this franchise though. As for my first death, it was back when I played Sword of Seal (Or Binding Blade) and indeed it was the hardest GBA Fire Emblem from what I'd read - by the way I forgot which character that got killed. As for the difficulty, if I could play the newer Fire Emblem sometimes in the future, then I would chose Classic ie the easiest difficulties with permadeath.

As for game recommendation, like Kyrt I seconded Tear Ring Saga if only because the game was created by the writer of earlier Fire Emblem. From Visual Novel side there's Aselia in which it had permadeath like Fire Emblem, and Seinarukana which had the gameplay improved from Aselia (No permadeath though). Oh, and if you willing to endure machine translated one then there's Himegari in which it was Kamidori prototype if we talk about the gameplay, and it was also had permadeath as well.

• 6 months later...

I hope it isn't too late to coment

OH BOI, I love Fire Emblem a shit ton so here I go

How many fire emblem games have you played and what are they? I completed Genealogy of the Holy War, Sacred Stones (only Eirika route), Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Awakening, Fates and Shadows of Valentia. I'm midway with Blazing Sword and Thracia 776

Favorite character(s)/Kingdom/music/plot/map/chapter/event/skill/weapon/etc I love Jugdral and Tellius lore deeply, also you can bet that I love all of Berkut's temes and Forseti is the best tome. As for my favorite character... SOREN IS BEST BOY, he is intelligent, not naive, cold to the outsiders, deeply in love with Ike, and best love interés in all the franchise, his design and backstory are brilliant, and I love how between the good guys is someone as gloomy and un-friendly like him.

Which was your first Fire Emblem game? Awakening, and to the day I enjoy it like the first time

Best Waifus/Husbandos/etc... Without doubt Tiki and Priam from Awakening, also Luthier because adorkable cat boy

How do you play the games? (Casual, Classic, Phoenix, Lunatic, Hard, Normal, RP, Male/Female, etc...) Like men, in classic but normal because I suck. I tend to chose female avatar but always fall in love with the waifus, I'm weird

Pick a Boon/Strength and a Bane/Flaw +spd/-lck

What is your favorite game in the series? Despiste my love for Genealogy and PoR, my favorite is Shadows of Valentia

What do you like about the Fire Emblem series? I enjoy the characters and their interactions, I feel it very original, also the feel of responsability of a lot of lives in the line

Who was the first character you got killed? Probably Lissa or Chrom lmao

What do you dislike about the Fire Emblem series? The fanbase and Genealogy fucking ugly long maps

What are you hopeful for with Fire Emblem Switch or Fire Emblem Warrior or a good idea for a new spin off (what would you like them to do different?) Unless a remake of Genealogy happend, or a game with Priam as the protagonist and a third Tellius game, I don't care

Do you have any suggestions for people looking for games like Fire Emblem? No idea, unless recommend the spin-off Tokyo Mirage Sessions count, that's is an insanely good game

• 1 month later...

I have played two, first Awakening and for my sins I played Conquest a good chunk of the way through. Curse that Ancient Wall of Japan level for being too hard for me to lazily finish. Also started Shadows of Valentia before I....lost interest due to a variety of petty reasons. Celica and desert levels ranking highly amongst them. Also dammit Python you're a terrible archer why do you here.

Gotta love Stahl, Kellam and Lon'qu. Also surprise Walhart from what I've seen. Female wise, I'd go for Panne, Noire and Sully. And who can forget Henry and Basilio?

From the Conquest side, the Nohrian royal family gets a shout, with Owain, Laslow and Owain's daughter whose name escapes me now.

Awakening

Tharja because I appreciate the quiet dark mage type, Panne is great because of her mannerisms. Husbandos if I had to choose are Chrom and Henry.

Casual, Normal, RP, Male, always go for magic for the Avatar. Really need to finish my Hard Casual playthrough at some point.

Magic and Luck. Who needs fortune when you have fireballs?

Awakening

Really, the cast of characters you can run into and seeing them interact with supports. Also, clutch critical hits which save you from dying. Praise Nuffle!

Nobody because filthy casual mode where nobody dies, muahahahaha!

A retrospect dislike is how whilst great, the supports feel.....like a hard jump in terms of character interaction. Just hang people close together, then get three scenes and boom, all out of main storyline interaction is done. Less a specific dislike and more a foolish yearning for more, but hey it's the best I got. Well that and moving a unit out of the way for strategy, then realising you've opened a path to your backlines that slaughters your mages. Or maybe that's me?

I got nothing, sorry.

All that springs to mind is XCOM really....depends what you mean by like. For a solid fantasy setting with characters, Dragon Age works kinda well.

• 1 month later...