Workflow and software for visual novel screenwriting/storybuilding

Narcosis

I presume this is more of a question towards those, who already wrote or worked on a released game.

As some of you may know, I'm actually in the process of designing a visual novel and been working on the script for a couple past months. As much as the tools and methods I decided to use had proven to be quite fine in the beginning, it came to a point where I can no longer efficiently work due to the sheer complexity of the story itself - it's peculiar, non-standard construction, events and all the character interactions and relationships that tie them together. I also found out using a couple different tools across the production stage became rather burdensome and I'm kind of annoyed of having to switch between multiple windows, web browser and text documents in order to continue, as it is highly distracting and I often end up doing everything except focusing on the actual script.

That's why I'd like to discuss screenwriting for vn's and methods - or as we could say - different approaches to storybulding. How do you organize your work around script writing for vn's and most importantly - what is the software you use? What kind of structure do you prefer for your text-based documents? Do you had any experience working in team with other writers and how did it impact the whole creative/writing process? Do you prefer working with others or found that writing solo is a lot more comfortable, regardless whether the vn is linear or branched and with routes? What are your toughts in general?

If there's anyone who's either screenwriting/storybuilding on a daily basis, I'd love to hear what tools you use frequently or is there any actual software you're really fond of, be it web-based or standalone.

I'm considering switching from my current workflow method, as I found it to be rather unreliable and... quite messy, when things grew bigger.

Edited by Narcosis

• 5 years later...