Why am I here?

InvisibleL

Seriously, why am I here? Don´t get me wrong, I love visual novels but my feelings towards them are .... (looking for the best word how to describe it) ..... complicated. As I said, I love them. But every time I see one, I want to create my own novel. And there is the problem. Every time when I see one, I want to create my own visual novel. And there is the problem: I can create a story (I already have one almost finished) but I can´t do the rest. Even a newborn baby has better art skills than me (Thanks a lot, Dyspraxia, I hate you so much.). Just look at my profile picture (yes, it is an attempt on self-portrait and that red thing on my face is supposed to be my red beard. I don´t know why is my beard red, it just grew that way.). I don´t have money to pay an artist and if I had money, I don´t know any artist or where to find one. 

Same thing with programming and music. I am terrible at it and I don´t know anybody who could help me or where to find that person.

And then, there is also fear: What if my story is stupid? What if somebody already did a similar story and I will be accused of stealing a story? What if my stupid story and ugly drawings will turn me into a laughing stock everywhere on the internet?

So, why I am still interested in visual novels? Why  did I registered on forum about visual novels? Is it because I subconsciously want to torture myself by observing the creations of people who are more talented than me, while thinking about things that I'll never be able to do? Or is it just because I envy those talented people their talents?

Why?

Well, nevermind, sorry to bother you, guys. I am leaving.

Bye.

Edited by InvisibleL

No dev have had it easy I think. You are the one that have to answer that ''why'' If you dont know how to do things and dont have money, learn how to do them by yourself. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it seems like you are looking for compassion rather than actual help or improvement. 

4 hours ago, Radi said:

No dev have had it easy I think. You are the one that have to answer that ''why'' If you dont know how to do things and dont have money, learn how to do them by yourself. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it seems like you are looking for compassion rather than actual help or improvement. 

I am not looking for compassion and I know that I need to learn to do it all by myself. And I am trying to learn everyday (profile image was created yesterday) but the results are still the same. It's not what I need.

But if you can give me some tips, that would be nice. I tried every tutorial that I found on the internet and in books but I still have not found anything that would help me achieve better results.

1 hour ago, Albedo said:

lolwut? There's like 20 VNs starring John Cena. Just use photoshop and make all your characters John Cena. Problem solved!

An interesting advice but unfortunately unusable for my plans.

Edited by InvisibleL

40 minutes ago, InvisibleL said:

But tips would be nice. I tried every tutorial that I found on the internet and in books but I still have not found anything that would help me achieve better results.

Well, having your story almost finished is a good start, but it depends on what your plans for your VN are. Don't expect to make a perfect AAA VN on your first try, is what I'm trying to say. And you might not want to try to make the entire game on your own either, it's a lot of work if you don't have any previous experience. My advice would be to finish your story, then try to build a team that can help you with the art, programming, etc. Free work is available if your project is interesting enough, just keep your eyes open for it. And the most important thing is to not give up, VNs (and games in general) can take many years to get from their initial planning to release, so don't feel discouraged.

Anyways, I've went on for long enough. Hopefully you can pull out something useful.

5 hours ago, InvisibleL said:

I am not looking for compassion and I know that I need to learn to do it all by myself. And I am trying to learn everyday (profile image was created yesterday) but the results are still the same. It's not what I need.

But if you can give me some tips, that would be nice. I tried every tutorial that I found on the internet and in books but I still have not found anything that would help me achieve better results.

An interesting advice but unfortunately unusable for my plans.

Tips for drawing better: put hours into it. It takes years to learn how to draw. I guess is the same for programming and everything else, it just takes time. If you dont enjoy it while doing it I would try to look for something else to do, as I said it can take a lot of time to learn so the best thing you can do is try to enjoy the journey instaid of just wanting results right away.  

Edited by Radi

You could, you know, start frequenting this community, and maybe in the future you can recruit the companions you need to produce your novel, I'm sure there's very talented people here. For example, I've seen several introductions by composers.

That provided your story is actually good (I don't know) and you manage to convince people to work with you.

This is probably a little harsh, but it really does sound like you've convinced yourself you're incapable of anything and want to find excuses to not improve.. I don't know what you really expect to be told here. 

If you want to learn to draw, you gotta practice a lot. You're not gonna learn it in one single day, or even a week or even a month. It takes lots of time. At the moment it doesn't look like you've done a lot of practice, but thats just an assumption on my end. If you want to learn to draw, you gotta be patient and really focus on it. It's fine if you can't draw though, that's why you work with artists who know how to do it, or you comission people for assetts you need.

If you have trouble programming, there's an incredible amount of books and guides out there to help you learn. If thats not enough, try looking for a class you can take on it. On top of that, you can also hire or get help from programmers in this community or elsewhere. There's also VN engines that require almost no programming.

As for your fears of writing, all of that is really a bunch of excuses to not write and to not show your work to others. That stuff is scary and i understand the fear of you wasting your time, but the thing is every writer usually gets good at what they do by making mistakes and learning. The fastest way you're gonna learn and the fastest way you'll improve is to just work at it. You'd only be a laughing stock on the internet if you handled people's reactions poorly. Theres plenty of successful writers and game developers who have made rough games before but have gotten better over time.

None of the stuff you've mentioned is enough to absolutely prevent you from ever making a visual novel. If its something you genuinely want to do, there's lots of ways to get it to happen. It won't neccesarily be fast, but it will happen if you work hard enough at it.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-learn-how-to-draw-1

The much-talked-about "10,000 hour rule" is bullshit, but there's a reason people trot it out all the time: it takes a damn long time to get good at most things, whether you're naturally talented at it or not. FWIW, I used to have drawing skills at your level until a couple years ago, but practiced my way up to where I can at least freehand copy things with results that look not utterly terrible. I stopped working on it at that point, satisfied that I could indeed draw if I wanted to. I'm convinced that, like @Velvetique said, nearly nobody is truly unable to learn to draw, or learn to program, or learn to do any of the other skills you'd need to have to make a VN if you really wanted to. If you want to get good at those things, you can; but you're going to have to work at it, a lot.

Well, I was going to reply, but you already said you're leaving.

Since I'm replying either way, I'll end up mimicing what the others are saying: nothing worth having comes easy. Be it programming, drawing, writting or language skills, they all come with hours upon hours of effort. If you convince yourself that you can't do it, then you really can't. Focus on finding solutions rather than making up excuses. Go take a look at the Creative Corner, lots of people share their work for free (music, art) and the Ren'py engine is quite simple to pick up even without any previous experience in programming. You might even find others who'd be interested in your project.

Work hard and focus on making something you can be proud of.